Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]

danlhart87

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I didn't see this pick coming but I trust Ballard.  You can't teach instincts and we practically ran in with the pick so so much for trading back.  Looks like a playmaker and day 1 starter.  I think it's going to prove to be a great pick. 

Yeah, I'm sure Ballard and everyone watched extensive tape on this guy.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys you're listening to the same guy who was high on D'Joun Smith and put his reputation on Johnny Manziel. Just because Jon Gruden doesn't like him doesn't mean he will be a bust. Tackling can be improved and He has Ed Reed ability. Great pick.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I was wanting to change my Conley pick to Hooker in our contest, it was a gut feeling but I did not. I remembered 2011 when I had charted out an article where Boston College and Michigan OTs were the most successful OTs in the league. I did not think Castanzo would fall to us, so Coffeedrinker pointed out why I did not choose a BC OT in the contest. The same feeling happened to me when I was reneging on Conley, could Malik Hooker fall to us? He did and like 2011, I did not place him despite my gut telling me to do so. I am just glad we got Hooker. I did get him in a fanspeak draft though, see other thread. :) 

Ballard had several key criteria for DBs he shared - size, length, speed AND TURNOVER ABILITY/BALLSKILS!!!! Hooker hits all of those and especially the last one - he is a ballhawk - 7 interceptions - 3 of them returned for TD. He is the embodiment of what Ballard is looking for. I'm not surprised at all by this pick.

Just now, stitches said:

Ballard had several key criteria for DBs he shared - size, length, speed AND TURNOVER ABILITY/BALLSKILS!!!! Hooker hits all of those and especially the last one - he is a ballhawk - 7 interceptions - 3 of them returned for TD. He is the embodiment of what Ballard is looking for. I'm not surprised at all by this pick.

That is why I placed Quincy Wilson in my round 2 pick for the contest. :) We will see!!!

10 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I'm disappointed, another incomplete safety. We just resigned Butler to play safety and have Greene to develop, we needed a CB or ILB much more. Allen, Foster, and Humphries we're on the board. Watch Foster go to New England and dominate.

Foster isn't falling to the 3rd, so I doubt that

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

Chuck says Hooker will miss OTAs due to surgeries. Way to go with pick!

It is OTAs, not training camp. At least it won't be like Joey Bosa, who still made an impact.

The season is long, might work out better for rookies coming out of college if they can learn fast enough because physically, it is more brutal than the college game they are used to.

I love the people who are down on him because of injuries and then want Allen. Clearly there's a reason he's fallen.

Also, don't listen to ESPN to make your opinion on a pick. They've been showing the bad side of every player taken.

Safeties still are easier to get than most any position. Hooker is a ballhawk for interceptions but not a great tackler at all. Too many other needs were still on the board, not to mention better players not matter what position they play. As much as I'm trying to like this pick, it's just not getting it. 

7 minutes ago, Blueblazes said:

Safeties still are easier to get than most any position. Hooker is a ballhawk for interceptions but not a great tackler at all. Too many other needs were still on the board, not to mention better players not matter what position they play. As much as I'm trying to like this pick, it's just not getting it. 

Who cares if your FS is a great tackler?

3 minutes ago, Blueblazes said:

We got a stud, & there are still 6 more Colts picks, I'm good.

1 minute ago, Blueblazes said:

Because you wanted to draft for need and not BPA.    Which is not how you build a team.   Unless you need a QB then you even reach if you have too 

Gil Brandt had him ranked at 6 and Allen at 7.  They were the highest ranked players on the board.  

Ballard said he will never draft need over BPA unles they are super close on grade.   

Tremendous player. If the medicals are okay I'm cool with the value at 15.

However, I'm extremely nervous about the idea us not doing something to improve our running game tomorrow. IMO that's an enormous hole. We either need good O-lineman early and a running back later, or a running back early. I don't believe there is much value on the O-line late.

We can probably add a pass rusher tomorrow as well. I think there will be a decent corner or two that drops to day 3 - perhaps not an heir to Vontae but someone who could develop into a starter. 

I kept saying last year that I wanted Green to shadow D-Buts this year and try to mimic his anticipation and breaking on the ball...  Looks like Hooker already does those things...  We need a defense that creates turnovers and Hooker will do just that. Now do we trade back into the first for Foster if he's there???  

Then we've got our future Ed Reed and Ray Lewis on the roster...  Then we really start to see the foundation of our dynasty established. 

3 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Mind blowing how many complaints this pick got.  Mind blowing.

It's kind of disconcerting. I don't know what needs to happen for people to be happy. Hooker is PREMIER talent. Who cares if he misses OTAs, how many games do we have in OTAs? wth is wrong with people?