Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should have taken Dalvin Cook at #15

29 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Cook isn't touched by defenders because he is too fast. I don't really know if he is a "grind it out" type of RB that wears out defenses. What he is, is a big play RB, that is a threat to take it house every single carry. This is what our offense is missing, a threat to score from the RB position. Frank Gore has no chance of breaking a long run. He is old and slow. Luck already has to do everything, we don't need Luck to continue being our best RB from the QB position. 

There is a reason he is still on the board

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

There is a reason he is still on the board

You are assuming that the GM's know what they are doing, they don't. Cleveland has botched their first round picks for at least a decade. Also, Trubinsky was picked #2 overall lol. Cook is better football player, and will impact more games than this future draft bust Turdinsky

Just now, Pacergeek said:

You are assuming that the GM's know what they are doing, they don't. Cleveland has botched their first round picks for at least a decade. Also, Trubinsky was picked #2 overall lol. Cook is better football player, and will impact more games than this future draft bust Turdinsky

I'm guessing they have all done far more research than you or anyone here.   

He is a good back,  Not great.  

Hooker is a far superior prospect

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm guessing they have all done far more research than you or anyone here.   

He is a good back,  Not great.  

Hooker is a far superior prospect

I get Hooker is prospect, but you are assuming, that just because a player wasn't picked in the first round, that they aren't as good as first rounders. Last year, one of the worst players in the entire draft, Jared Goff, somehow went #1 overall

3 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I get Hooker is prospect, but you are assuming, that just because a player wasn't picked in the first round, that they aren't as good as first rounders. Last year, one of the worst players in the entire draft, Jared Goff, somehow went #1 overall

Bad qbs go every year.   We didn't draft a qb.  Plus,  We don't know if Goff is good or bad yet.    

But your premise that we should have drafted cook over hooker is wrong by most everyone's opinion

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

2 hours ago, tikyle said:

Not excusing him one bit but you've probably rooted for dozens if not hundreds of guys who hit women.  Only difference is his is on tape and you know about it.  A kid makes a mistake at 18 or 19 years old I can get over that.  Now if he has a checkered history with it or if he did it multiple times afterwards then I'd be wary.

Getting drunk and sleeping with a fat chick is a mistake.  Punching a woman says to me there is something broken with you.

Cook wouldn't have been on my board due to character, injury, and athletic reasons.  Any of the three would have disqualified him from my 1st round consideration, and he had the triumvirate.  I wouldn't draft him before round 4...and you say Hooker has questions!

3 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Cook isn't touched by defenders because he is too fast. I don't really know if he is a "grind it out" type of RB that wears out defenses. What he is, is a big play RB, that is a threat to take it house every single carry. This is what our offense is missing, a threat to score from the RB position. Frank Gore has no chance of breaking a long run. He is old and slow. Luck already has to do everything, we don't need Luck to continue being our best RB from the QB position. 

Thats not what his number say.  So you must question is it that he's too fast or is it his opponents are just too slow? 

This title is super duper funny!!!  You can have Luck hand off to Adrian Peterson Jamal Charles in this case D cook or even mcaffry doesn't matter hell we can have ten elite RB on this team and stil not gain 1000 yard lol.  Pls fix the Oline and the rest will fall into place.  Elliot is a good RB notice I said GOOD he isn't elite not yet and only reason why Elliot and that QB from Mississippi did so well was because of that OLINE!!!   You put both of them on our team and everybody on ESPN will say they're busts.  So appreciate Luck for what he does with what talent we have on the Oline!!

On 4/27/2017 at 10:52 PM, gacoop1 said:

J Allen was available, could have paired with Hankins.....There are reasons why the other teams didn't resign their own players, and we end up with them....Another mediocre year.  

Ignorance must be bliss

On 4/27/2017 at 10:15 PM, Pacergeek said:

Luck needs to be paired with a stud RB to take pressure off him. Besides Bradshaw for a few games, Luck has not had good RB's. Cook would have been a perfect fit next to Andrew. Cook is a real RB, and is a threat to take it house every time he touches the ball. I don't care about the off-field nonsense. I watched the FSU Doc on Showtime, and Cook was a leader and a good kid. Cook could have been Luck's Zeke Elliott. Instead of taking the guaranteed franchise RB, we take a Safety with a lot of question marks. I know our defense stinks, and Safety was certainly a need, but you have to be able to run the football to win playoff games. A stud RB guaranteed to take pressure off Luck, or a Safety that is far from a sure thing? I'm taking the RB to help out my franchise QB

Be a Vikings fan then

Hooker was a great choice at 15. 

Having said that, I do agree with the premise that at some point this off season, more should have been done to address our lackluster running game. In 2015 we were 29th in rushing volume and 31st in rushing efficiency. Last year we were 23rd in rushing volume and 22nd in efficiency. Expect the latter numbers to be similar, because we've done nothing personnel wise to improve them. Our O-line may be a little better this year with age, but our starting RB may be a little worse this year with age too. 

It kind of reminds me of the 2015 offseason in this way, where we had this obvious deficiency that we didn't adequately address... Except that the moves we're making on defense are this off season are far superior to 2015. I guess you can't fix everything in one season, but personally I think taking some pressure off the best young QB in football would've been a smart move. 

But Dalvin Cook over Malik Hooker is a hard no. 

On 4/28/2017 at 1:56 PM, jvan1973 said:

He owned up to something caught on video.   What a stand up guy..

Idk what else you want the man to do, but I don't really expect any of these players to be goodie two shoes in an extremely violent sport. 

4 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Idk what else you want the man to do, but I don't really expect any of these players to be goodie two shoes in an extremely violent sport. 

Yeah,  there is a lot of room between goodie two shoes and punching a girl in the face.   I'm glad he isn't here

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,  there is a lot of room between goodie two shoes and punching a girl in the face.   I'm glad he isn't here

You'd have a point if there literally weren't tons of players with questionable pasts in the league. Unfortunately there are, and you don't.

1 minute ago, colt18 said:

You'd have a point if there literally weren't tons of players with questionable pasts in the league. Unfortunately there are, and you don't.

I realize that.  I wasn't happy about bringing eric walden in either.

And the only point I'm trying to make is I'm glad he isn't here

5 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I'm willing to look past quite a bit.  Violently punching a woman isn't one of them.

37 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I'm willing to look past quite a bit.  Violently punching a woman isn't one of them.

That's quite ironic for someone who is a fan of a sport where players literally try to kill each other. Hitting a woman isn't okay, but I'm also not expecting professional football players to be perfect.

Just now, colt18 said:

That's quite ironic for someone who is a fan of a sport where players literally try to kill each other. Hitting a woman isn't okay, but I'm also not expecting professional football players to be perfect.

Yep, you just wrote that.

13 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Hooker was a great choice at 15. 

Having said that, I do agree with the premise that at some point this off season, more should have been done to address our lackluster running game. In 2015 we were 29th in rushing volume and 31st in rushing efficiency. Last year we were 23rd in rushing volume and 22nd in efficiency. Expect the latter numbers to be similar, because we've done nothing personnel wise to improve them. Our O-line may be a little better this year with age, but our starting RB may be a little worse this year with age too. 

It kind of reminds me of the 2015 offseason in this way, where we had this obvious deficiency that we didn't adequately address... Except that the moves we're making on defense are this off season are far superior to 2015. I guess you can't fix everything in one season, but personally I think taking some pressure off the best young QB in football would've been a smart move. 

But Dalvin Cook over Malik Hooker is a hard no. 

Yea with Hooker available you ain't drafting Cook that is 100%. Would of been nice to get Cook in 2nd round but Vikings took him before Colts could but that would of effected ability to get CB in 2nd rnd if drafting Cook instead. Had hooker of went to one of the teams drafting a QB  Adoore Jackson likely would of been our pick then 2nd rnd who knows what happens. I don't understand why the vikings would draft Cook with their first pick when they have mckinnon and murray already. Same goes for saints drafting kamara. For Colts they didn't make somewhat silly draft choices like this and for that we can be happy. I am also thankful to the silly teams that keep wasting pick after pick on QB's allowing a player like Malik Hooker to become a Colt. For Dalvin Cook get over it I was big supporter of getting Cook but idc after this draft. I also wasn't happy with Cook 40 yard time. 30lbs lighter than fournette and runs 4.51 vs fournettes 4.5 There will be other RB for the Colts to pair with Luck. That dream can wait the Defense overhaul can't.

On 4/28/2017 at 8:42 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Wow Colts get a safety who was rated a top 10 player at 15 and some people are still upset.  

I'm very happy with Hooker pick.  Would be ok with Cook in round 2 although with the talent left on the board I think I'd rather target a CB or ILB.  

New York Jets were seriously contemplating taking him at 6, so yea, this kid is legit.

Getting Mack in the 5th rd is a better value to me than Cook in the 1st.

Just for fun using the same position, I would say Tedric Thompson was most likely the best safety drafted in the 5th. 

I like the Hooker and Mack combo much better than Thompson and Cook without question the value is much better. 

On 4/28/2017 at 1:15 AM, Pacergeek said:

Luck needs to be paired with a stud RB to take pressure off him. Besides Bradshaw for a few games, Luck has not had good RB's. Cook would have been a perfect fit next to Andrew. Cook is a real RB, and is a threat to take it house every time he touches the ball. I don't care about the off-field nonsense. I watched the FSU Doc on Showtime, and Cook was a leader and a good kid. Cook could have been Luck's Zeke Elliott. Instead of taking the guaranteed franchise RB, we take a Safety with a lot of question marks. I know our defense stinks, and Safety was certainly a need, but you have to be able to run the football to win playoff games. A stud RB guaranteed to take pressure off Luck, or a Safety that is far from a sure thing? I'm taking the RB to help out my franchise QB

I don't know exactly where the disrespect for Frank Gore comes from. Andrew has a stud running back right now who is not quite dead yet. It wouldn't surprise me if he plays 3 more years (barring severe injury). He's tough as nails, works his behind off and still apparently loves to play. No sir, Ballard did the right thing. 

2 hours ago, bleevit said:

I don't know exactly where the disrespect for Frank Gore comes from. Andrew has a stud running back right now who is not quite dead yet. It wouldn't surprise me if he plays 3 more years (barring severe injury). He's tough as nails, works his behind off and still apparently loves to play. No sir, Ballard did the right thing. 

Liking Gore and reality are two different things.

8 hours ago, bleevit said:

Tough as nails and slow as molasses.  Gore's career is coming to an end.

On 4/30/2017 at 9:01 AM, BOTT said:

Tough as nails and slow as molasses.  Gore's career is coming to an end.

Yeah sure, but there are few safeties or linebackers in the league that like to see him lower his pads. He got over a 1000 last year and still has some pop. If you draft Cook you have to start him and I think the combo of Gore and Marlin Mack (has great speed) are better than Cook. Hooker is the better pick IMO.

On 4/30/2017 at 2:26 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Liking Gore and reality are two different things.

Reality? Reality is that Gore and Marlin Mack combined are better than Cook. Hooker and Geathers will be better than Geathers and whoever at safety. Just a small improvement in defense could easily make a 3 or 4 game improvement in the standings. A small improvement of offense not so much. They can already score points. That's reality.

9 minutes ago, bleevit said:

Reality? Reality is that Gore and Marlin Mack combined are better than Cook. Hooker and Geathers will be better than Geathers and whoever at safety. Just a small improvement in defense could easily make a 3 or 4 game improvement in the standings. A small improvement of offense not so much. They can already score points. That's reality.

Mack is a big improvement because of big play ability. He could take a screen to the house.

12 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

My only change...and maybe we tried...would have offered our 2nd and a 4th to move up to late first round and go for Foster as well.  Basham again in the third... etc... Hooker, Foster, Basham...

I disagree. If we do that, then we lose out on two players. We also don't address the CB need we have. CB was a bigger need than ILB. I'd rather have Wilson over Foster, instead of making the trade. The trade up isn't worth it.