Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should have taken Dalvin Cook at #15

Luck needs to be paired with a stud RB to take pressure off him. Besides Bradshaw for a few games, Luck has not had good RB's. Cook would have been a perfect fit next to Andrew. Cook is a real RB, and is a threat to take it house every time he touches the ball. I don't care about the off-field nonsense. I watched the FSU Doc on Showtime, and Cook was a leader and a good kid. Cook could have been Luck's Zeke Elliott. Instead of taking the guaranteed franchise RB, we take a Safety with a lot of question marks. I know our defense stinks, and Safety was certainly a need, but you have to be able to run the football to win playoff games. A stud RB guaranteed to take pressure off Luck, or a Safety that is far from a sure thing? I'm taking the RB to help out my franchise QB

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In case you haven't noticed,   no other team took Cook in the first round.

What do those teams know that you don't?

Cook was projected as first round pick, until some rumors surfaced about off the field issues. Seems like some shady affairs going on here. Cook and Fournette were ranked almost equal towards the end of the season. Fournette gets taken at #4, and Cook isn't drafted in Round 1? Seems odd to me. 

This year will be a rebuilding year. This gives the free agents to assimilate and create chemistry within the team.  The rate this draft is going, it doesn't look like they'll try for D Cook.....Once they said, he was better than Fournette.  What happened?

I'm interested in building the defense before finding a running back myself. I would consider Cook if he fell to us but I'm definitely not trading up for him and I'm not taking Mixon in the second. We need to draft the best corner available in the second and then we can think about the options in other rounds.

1 hour ago, gacoop1 said:

J Allen was available, could have paired with Hankins.....There are reasons why the other teams didn't resign their own players, and we end up with them....Another mediocre year.  

But the Giants wanted to resign Hankins. He is the one who didn't sign the Giants offer.

3 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Cook was projected as first round pick, until some rumors surfaced about off the field issues. Seems like some shady affairs going on here. Cook and Fournette were ranked almost equal towards the end of the season. Fournette gets taken at #4, and Cook isn't drafted in Round 1? Seems odd to me. 

The legal problems weren't rumors.   There were multiple incidents involving law enforcement...     there was no video of any incident,  but there multiple incidents of trouble.     They're not hard to find on the internet...

He also has some injury issues,  and he also apparently had a pretty good sized fumbling problem...  

And he didn't have a great combine...    not terrible,  but not as good as expected.

All of those things added up to Cook falling...

You're the type of person that flies a kite during a thunderstorm

I think my eyes are going to bleed after what I just read. Pls help these people. We need some professional psychologists to help those in need (aka people who are mad about drafting Hooker).  If you know any, start a thread and guide these people to the nearest one, or a ditch for them to jump into. Thank you for your consideration. 

A great running back doesn't cover up the problems you have on the oline. I just wish some on here would understand how important having a dominant oline is. Zeke Elliot ran behind the best oline in football. Let's fix our line before getting a RB of any kind shall we?

of you think from last year that our oline is solid then you don't know what a good oline looks like. Oline was injured all year, and barely showed us anything when healthy. To me, it's like watching green and saying you've seen enough to know everything will be good at safety. 

6 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Luck needs to be paired with a stud RB to take pressure off him. Besides Bradshaw for a few games, Luck has not had good RB's. Cook would have been a perfect fit next to Andrew. Cook is a real RB, and is a threat to take it house every time he touches the ball. I don't care about the off-field nonsense. I watched the FSU Doc on Showtime, and Cook was a leader and a good kid. Cook could have been Luck's Zeke Elliott. Instead of taking the guaranteed franchise RB, we take a Safety with a lot of question marks. I know our defense stinks, and Safety was certainly a need, but you have to be able to run the football to win playoff games. A stud RB guaranteed to take pressure off Luck, or a Safety that is far from a sure thing? I'm taking the RB to help out my franchise QB

Image result for c'mon man gif

6 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

J Allen was available, could have paired with Hankins.....There are reasons why the other teams didn't resign their own players, and we end up with them....Another mediocre year.  

You should look into it more.   Ballard has done a great job.   The Colts defense has better starters and great depth at many positions now.  

6 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

This year will be a rebuilding year. This gives the free agents to assimilate and create chemistry within the team.  The rate this draft is going, it doesn't look like they'll try for D Cook.....Once they said, he was better than Fournette.  What happened?

When did they say cook was better than fournette?

Wow Colts get a safety who was rated a top 10 player at 15 and some people are still upset.  

I'm very happy with Hooker pick.  Would be ok with Cook in round 2 although with the talent left on the board I think I'd rather target a CB or ILB.  

7 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Well considering your user name and the pacer's recent embarrassment they want to call a team, i think it's best you go back to the Pacers who obviously need someone with half a brain running their team.

RB in the first is just plain DUMB.   Mixon is still out there too and most believe he's better than cook.  Cook is no sure thing at RB either.

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Wow Colts get a safety who was rated a top 10 player at 15 and some people are still upset.  

I'm very happy with Hooker pick.  Would be ok with Cook in round 2 although with the talent left on the board I think I'd rather target a CB or ILB.  

I bet just about everyone agreed we should take the BPA, especially if it was a position of need.  

Until we we don't take the guy THEY think was the BPA.  

Personally, I welcome all opinions.  It's interesting to hear what other people think.  I know I don't have the football knowledge or intel that our GM has.  So I'm ecstatic with the pick.  (Doesn't hurt that he's a Buckeye)

The OP starts his argument off with "Luck Needs".   Once again I'll state that the only people who have a problem with this pick are the needs based draft thinkers.   Those who understand the value of BPA and those who have accepted what Ballard said about taking BPA have no problem accepting this decision.  He took the highest rank player according to their own scouting and drafting rules.

7 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Or the teams didn't have cap space to keep a pretty good player. Hell, the Broncos built their SB defense mostly on FA. 

8 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Not rumors...he was arrested multiple times:

2009 - Arrested and charged with robbery (charges dropped)

2010 - Arrested and charged with firing a weapon & possession of a weapon at an event on school property (charges dropped)

2014 - Arrested and charged with criminal mischief shooting out car windows with a BB gun (charges dropped)

2014 - Cited for a violation of animal care (had 3 pitpull puppies chained up in the yard with chains so heavy, they could hardly stand)

2015 - Arrested and charged with assault for punching a woman multiple times in the face (found not guilty)

Not being convicted does not mean he was innocent. If it was just one of the incidents, you could argue that it's just a one-time thing, but all of them together paint a picture of poor decision making and never being held accountable for his actions, which would really scare me as a GM. I'd actually feel better drafting Mixon than Cook, because at least he has been put through the ringer & held responsible for his actions. Cook has not.

Add in the shoulder injury and pedestrian combine...there's a reason he hasn't been drafted yet. Luckily, this is a really deep RB class and are some really talented RB's left in the next couple of rounds.

6 hours ago, neug3246 said:

But the Giants wanted to resign Hankins. He is the one who didn't sign the Giants offer.

Correct. The Giants didn't have enough cap room to make enough of an offer to Hankins. They REALLY wanted him back though.

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

A great running back doesn't cover up the problems you have on the oline. I just wish some on here would understand how important having a dominant oline is. Zeke Elliot ran behind the best oline in football. Let's fix our line before getting a RB of any kind shall we?

of you think from last year that our oline is solid then you don't know what a good oline looks like. Oline was injured all year, and barely showed us anything when healthy. To me, it's like watching green and saying you've seen enough to know everything will be good at safety. 

i concur

40 minutes ago, krunk said:

The OP starts his argument off with "Luck Needs".   Once again I'll state that the only people who have a problem with this pick are the needs based draft thinkers.   Those who understand the value of BPA and those who have accepted what Ballard said about taking BPA have no problem accepting this decision.  He took the highest rank player according to their own scouting and drafting rules.

I don't even understand why this shouldn't please the needs based guys.  Safety is a huge need.  

I think the issue is more that some people get their heart set on one guy or one position.  

I think that is the problem with OP.  His heart was set on Cook.  

First off Mixon is better than Cook.  Second, both are still available.  Third, the Colts have several way more pressing issues than a RB.  We had the 30th ranked defense but the 23rd ranked rushing attack.  Seems to me defense is a lot more pressing especially when we were the 8th ranked offense in terms of points.  We can score, but we can't keep others from scoring.  And getting a guy who can create TOs is much more valuable than a homerun threat RB.