Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]

danlhart87

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Hooker had the 2nd most interceptions in the season and Gruden and Kiper talk about his tackling.  That's like saying Peyton Manning doesn't get enough bend coming around the edge.  

I LOST it with this post. :lol:

1 hour ago, Old Colt said:

Injury history... 1 yr starter.. poor angles and misses tackles... We needed a lot more than a safety.  Butler would be fine... We need CB, EDGE, LB.... with Allen and.lots more available,  more of a Grigson pick

Had a sports hernia & minor hip surgery over the offseason and....that's it... Allen has arthritic shoulders and you're complaining about Hooker's "injury history"? Give me a break man..

52 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

No edge, huh? I guess the free agents are going to make the difference this year.....and still no running backs.

Still? It was just the 1st round. I know you're upset your boy Cook didn't get picked at 15, but 32 other teams passed on him, which should say something.

39 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I already have images in my head of Hooker whiffing on Fournette. 

Replace them with ones of Geathers flattening him.

27 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

to pass on players like Allen and Foster confuses me. I like Hooker but he was not the BPA. Just because he was ranked top 5 doesn't mean he was gonna go top 5. If you look at his tape and compare it to Allen's or Foster's, it wouldn't even compare. We need monsters. Players that can get after the qb. And we took a safety? The damn 49ers killed the draft from the beginning to the end of the draft. I'm in no way bashing the pick. Hooker is a good player, but if BPA was the mindset or creating a monster was still the goal...we failed.

My skin thick enough. Bring it

Allen and Foster have injury concerns (Foster's injury re-check didn't go well) and Foster has many more concerns on top of that. Being ranked top 5 and going 15 means we got a steal. You obviously haven't watched his tape, because it was fantastic.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

No you are a troll because you fail to bring up any type of rhetoric to support your opinion except one line rhetoric and a shady "report" with no sources and from apparently one place to support your whole arguement of how you originally stated he was way lesser of a player.  

Look up any scouting report on him. They all say the same thing. He's a poor tackler. Who wants a safety who can't tackle? At least Peppers can tackle. You remind me of a scout who reports a hitter can hit a fast ball 500 feet. But fails to mention he can't touch a curve ball. 

10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Im glad we got him. I would have been mad if we drafted cook there.

Funny you say that, because I was telling my buddy "Knowing my Colts draft day history, I halfway expect us to draft Dalvin Cook here. With Hooker and Allen on the board. It would be a typical Colts pick."

Thank goodness that was not the case.

38 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Before the draft I was hoping the Colts would take someone like Ryan Kelly. By that I do not mean a needs pick (I did not care too much what position the Colts took) but someone you are comfident can step in and contribute.

Honestly, that's sort of what I expected from Ballard, and had Hooker not dropped, I do think it might have been Lamp or Ballard's defensive equivalent. Harris, possibly?  I was expecting a solid, safe pick.

8 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Ugh I hate arguing semantics with you.  Almost every player has had a hernia of sorts in the offseason.  If that is significant then every single player in NFL history has injury concerns.  And his torn labrum is an injury that is a 100% heal rate...  

His injury history is not the reaso. Why he fell.  He fell because teams panicked for offensive talent because this draft is not deep in it.  Therefore the top 7 picks he was supposed to be picked in became 15.

Every scouting analysis doesn't say he's a poor tackler.  Most say he doesn't understand angles and is late to the ball.  But yes you do have some that say he's a bad tackler but like most things it was a monkey see monkey do.  One scout says it so now all of them do.  If you watch you see something entirely different and a much easier problem to be fixed.

Teams selecting receivers and running backs in the top 10....priceless.

1 minute ago, Johnny U. said:

Look up any scouting report on him. They all say the same thing. He's a poor tackler. Who wants a safety who can't tackle? At least Peppers can tackle. You remind me of a scout who reports a hitter can hit a fast ball 500 feet. But fails to mention he can't touch a curve ball. 

You remind me of the same scout who keeps repeating but he can't tackle, while he will always be asked to be a center fielder and never in the box tackling.  

Arguing just to argue you are.  But hey if you would rather have a sure fire tackler than an interception machine more power to ya.  Just isn't how you win football games.

5 minutes ago, Johnny U. said:

But Peppers couldn't track a hot air balloon with a pair of binoculars if he had too. Hooker still had 73 tackles on the year, more than Peppers and he was even playing LB'er as well, and if you're counting on your FS to be some end all be all tackler, your defense is already fkd from the start.

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

You remind me of the same scout who keeps repeating but he can't tackle, while he will always be asked to be a center fielder and never in the box tackling.  

Arguing just to argue you are.  But hey if you would rather have a sure fire tackler than an interception machine more power to ya.  Just isn't how you win football games.

You win football games by tackling.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Only on the Colts forum can you get a guy that literally every credible analyst says is the next Ed Reed at 15 and people still complain. Do people really not realize how good Hooker was last season? He had most of Ohio States pick 6's.

Haven't drafted a game changer since Bob Sanders 13 years ago.  Hopefully we have one.

1 minute ago, Johnny U. said:

You win football games by tackling.

This is gonna come as a shocker... you win football games by scoring more than your opponent.  But hey if you tackle a perfect tackle while they are in the end zone I guess you can get a participation trophy? 

Like I said arguing just to argue.

2 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

But Peppers couldn't track a hot air balloon with a pair of binoculars if he had too. Hooker still had 73 tackles on the year, and if you're counting on your FS to be some end all be all tackler, your defense is fkd from the start.

The safety is the last line of defense. Isn't much good if he can't tackle.

Just now, Surge89 said:

This is gonna come as a shocker... you win football games by scoring more than your opponent.  But hey if you tackle a perfect tackle while they are in the end zone I guess you can get a participation trophy? 

Like I said arguing just to argue.

It's easy to score if no one tackles.

15 minutes ago, Johnny U. said:

Yeah, a safety who can't tackle. Just what we need.

He can tackle. There's a part in every DB profile for this years draft that says "Needs to be a better tackler". He can get better. You guys are making it seem like he was the worst tackler in the draft.

And with the Titans drafting Davis, you should be jumping up and down that they have a guy who can neutralize him. Hooker takes the ball away better than any player drafted in the last 10 years probably. And he SCORES when he takes it away. When he saves our CBs from being burned by the likes of Will Fuller, don't try and hop on the bandwagon.

Just now, Johnny U. said:

It's easy to score if no one tackles.

Its hard to score when the safety keeps intercepting your passes.

You can keep trying to be witty but you are at a huge disadvantage.  Your logic is flawed and honestly not well thought.

Just now, Johnny U. said:

The safety is the last line of defense. Isn't much good if he can't tackle.

Hooker racked up more tackles than Peppers last year playing FS. Again, if it comes to that Hooker is the least of our problems. If the ball is in the air and Hooker is anywhere near it, I like our chances.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

I LOST it with this post. :lol:

Had a sports hernia & minor hip surgery over the offseason and....that's it... Allen has arthritic shoulders and you're complaining about Hooker's "injury history"? Give me a break man..

Still? It was just the 1st round. I know you're upset your boy Cook didn't get picked at 15, but 32 other teams passed on him, which should say something.

Replace them with ones of Geathers flattening him.

Allen and Foster have injury concerns (Foster's injury re-check didn't go well) and Foster has many more concerns on top of that. Being ranked top 5 and going 15 means we got a steal. You obviously haven't watched his tape, because it was fantastic.

So Hooker's tape was better than Allen's and Foster's? Scratch that...picking Hooker at 15 over Foster when we could have got a similar player in Budda Baker?? Yes he has outstanding talent but so does Allen and/or Foster. 

You win though. The pick is made. Nothing to do but except the pick and embrace the player.

2 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Hooker racked up more tackles than Peppers last year playing FS. Again, if it comes to that Hooker is the least of our problems. If the ball is in the air and Hooker is anywhere near it, I like our chances.

And Peppers was predominantly playing ILB... oh boy these facts keep blowing up in his face don't they?  

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

Add the fact that for his career Peppers had one interception, zero defensive touchdowns, and zero fumble recoveries. 

Just now, Surge89 said:

And Peppers was predominantly playing ILB... oh boy these facts keep blowing up in his face don't they?  

He was playing all over and still couldn't surpass Hooker in tackles on the season. No, he's not going to be a Bob Sanders-type run stopping safety, I'm completely aware of that, but we don't need him to be either. His primary focus is getting our offense the ball back on every down.

15 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

So Hooker's tape was better than Allen's and Foster's? Scratch that...picking Hooker at 15 over Foster when we could have got a similar player in Budda Baker?? Yes he has outstanding talent but so does Allen and/or Foster. 

You win though. The pick is made. Nothing to do but except the pick and embrace the player.

Different positions, so it's hard to directly compare them. Allen is a top 5 player that dropped due to long-term concerns with his shoulders. Foster was thought of as a potential top 10 pick, then came the combine kerfuffle, then concerns about the people he surrounds himself with, then concerns about his ability to understand x's and o's, then the diluted drug test, and finally news about how his medical re-check didn't go well. Tape was great, but there's a reason so many teams passed on him.

The fact that you think Hooker is a similar player to Budda Baker tells me everything I need to know...

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

He was playing all over and still couldn't surpass Hooker in tackles on the season. No, he's not going to be a Bob Sanders-type run stopping safety, I'm completely aware of that, but we don't need him to be either. His primary focus is getting our offense the ball back on every down.

I wanted Reuben Foster, but honestly, Ed Reed scared me more than Ray Lewis during those old Colts/Ravens battles.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

I wanted Reuben Foster, but honestly, Ed Reed scared me more than Ray Lewis during those old Colts/Ravens battles.

Him and Chris McCallister both. Watching Hooker play, the similarities to Reed are downright scary. I thought for sure, when it was Buffalo's pick, he was going to be picked by them and surprisingly they traded out. I think that's going to haunt them.

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I love the Hooker pick.    Every time someone here made a post about him I'd say I'd love to get him even though safety isn't a pressing need like OLB or CB.

That said....

If you think Hooker won't have issues with tackling in his rookie year you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.        Seriously,   not kidding.       He won't be great at tackling overnight.     He'll need to be coached up and that takes time.      Great pick,   but tackling will be an issue....

If he were a great tackler , I think he would have gone top 7-8.  Good pick I guess. Probably the next guy I would have liked was Harris and he lasted until 22.

Crazy draft as all those offensive guys went in first 11. You'd think there would have been a bunch of defensive "steals" but with Allen and Foster dropping with good reason , there weren't really a bunch of "bargains."  Maybe our guy at 15 ? The 2 CB's that followed were not. Allen bad shoulder. The TE at 19 yes. 

19 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

It's not just about tape.

It's also about the medical profiles too.     Allen has two problem shoulders.

And Foster,  another projected top-10 kid,  fell all the way to pick 31.....    clearly there are issues here....

Budda Baker is 3 inches shorter and 15 pounds lighter than Hooker....

During Ballard's press conference he was asked several times where Hooker was on their board....   he wouldn't specifically say,   but he kept using the phrase "he was very high on the board,   way up there..."

But....

On the video that the team posts inside the Colts war room,  first Ballard talks to Hooker,  and then Pagano does and Chuck says the team feels like they got a top-5 pick and calls him the best free safety since Ed Reed....

So.....     clearly Hooker is top-10 and more likely a top-5 pick on the Colts board....

Ballard says he's picking BPA,   and he just proved it tonight.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Its what I call passionate. We need a team full of kids like him. Alpha dog, in your face types who are monsters on the field and act like that. All that was, was passion but you could see the cockiness too and I love that.

I like Takk, but I don't see him as an alpha dog. Passion is awesome, but it can be a huge negative if you can't harness it.

Everything I read about him says he's a quiet guy that keeps to himself, whose favorite past-time is watching cartoons. That actually makes me think he may need to mature more, especially emotionally. I see him as a kid with a really rough upbringing that never had a chance to truly grow up and mature. I really hope he does well though, because he seems like a really good guy. Definitely an early favorite of mine.

2 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Is Richard Sherman known as a good tackler? How about Darrell Revis? Deon Sanders never tackled anyone. As long as Hooker can make plays in NFL, he will be fine

Revis actually is known as being a very good tackler, but I agree that Hooker will be fine.

22 minutes ago, Shive said:

Different positions, so it's hard to directly compare them. Allen is a top 5 player that dropped due to long-term concerns with his shoulders. Foster was thought of as a potential top 10 pick, then came the combine kerfuffle, then concerns about the people he surrounds himself with, then concerns about his ability to understand x's and o's, then the diluted drug test, and finally news about how his medical re-check didn't go well. Tape was great, but there's a reason so many teams passed on him.

The fact that you think Hooker is a similar player to Budda Baker tells me everything I need to know...

Which is what exactly? Hooker has injury concerns like the next player. I agree with Gruden, this was a need pick instead of BPA. Sure Hooker is a good player but tell me one thing that Hooker does any better than Budda Baker. Before you make a comment like that, go and look at Baker's tape. Baker is smaller but has more sacks, less picks but is a playmaker just like Hooker which makes them similar. Hate it, like it or love it...it doesn't really matter. Tape doesn't lie.

~Facts~