2017 NFL Draft Day 1 Thread [Merge]

CR91

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

True..but when confrontations come on the field..you have to make plays...you 'win' ore are 'defeated' by the guy you confront.

..and the SEC is talent laden....I'm just saying that you have plenty of opportunity to make accurate evaluations against quality foes

It's much easier for a LB to make plays when they have the ability to move freely, instead of having to shed O-linemen before making the play. Foster benefited from a stellar d-line and that is always a factor when you're scouting.

Just now, Shive said:

It's much easier for a LB to make plays when they have the ability to move freely, instead of having to shed O-linemen before making the play. Foster benefited from a stellar d-line and that is always a factor when you're scouting.

Sure it is...but he wasnt playing the JV....of the other SEC schools

...that also has to be considered...

That logic would suggest that talent playing with talent cant develop fully because of the talent

I cant go with you there

Just now, oldunclemark said:

That logic would suggest that talent playing with talent cant develop fully because of the talent

I cant go with you there

Not saying they can't. Just saying that you have to take it into account.

The Colts' defensive overhaul: New Indianapolis GM Chris Ballard has a vision, and he's executing it beautifully. Thursday's selection of Ohio State safety Malik Hooker was a fantastic value at No. 15 overall and immediately improves a woeful secondary. Since the start of March, Ballard has added defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins, linebackers Jabaal Sheard, John Simon and Sean Spence and defensive end Margus Hunt. No team has done a better job improving its toughness and defensive depth this offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000803728/article/winners-and-losers-after-round-1-of-the-2017-nfl-draft

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I;m scrambling..I dont know a lot about him

Seriously?  I thought you were a big ten guy.  Hooker was a unanimous selection for all American.   He was ranked in the top ten of just about every pundit 

31 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

With which CB(s)?

Pretty much all of them.

Most Seahawks players use different tackling techniques than they did in college. Seahawks use rugby-style tackling, which is fairly rare at college level. NFL too, though its been gaining popularity.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Seriously?  I thought you were a big ten guy.  Hooker was a unanimous selection for all American.   He was ranked in the top ten of just about every pundit 

I like the pick of Hooker very much. However, national awards have more to do with stats like 7 interceptions than they do with NFL prospectus. 

I agree with the Hooker pick, but it has absolutely nothing to do with college post-season awards. Johnny Manziel and Tim Tebow won Heisman's. There are many, many more examples in any of the awards voted on. College award winners have a relatively poor guarantee of any NFL success. Voters for college awards are not (or should not) be projecting to NFL prospects.

3 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

I like the pick of Hooker very much. However, national awards have more to do with stats like 7 interceptions than they do with NFL prospectus. 

I agree with the Hooker pick, but it has absolutely nothing to do with college post-season awards. Johnny Manziel and Tim Tebow won Heisman's. There are many, many more examples in any of the awards voted on. College award winners have a relatively poor guarantee of any NFL success. Voters for college awards are not (or should not) be projecting to NFL prospects.

Did you read the post I responded to?  He said he hasn't heard of hooker before the pick.  I wasn't suggesting awards mean success in the NFL.  However,  safeties transfer better to the nfl than most spread offense qbs

6 minutes ago, Finball said:

Pretty much all of them.

Most Seahawks players use different tackling techniques than they did in college. Seahawks use rugby-style tackling, which is fairly rare at college level. NFL too, though its been gaining popularity.

Rugby-style? Inform me. When I have watched rugby, it is mostly in close quarters breaking out of a scrum. Not open field at all. Is it chest high tackling??

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Did you read the post I responded to?  He said he hasn't heard of hooker before the pick.  I wasn't suggesting awards mean success in the NFL.  However,  safeties transfer better to the nfl than most spread offense qbs

I'm not convinced. There is not a specific safety award but the Jim Thorpe award for DBs hasn't translated particularly well.

2016 Adoree Jackson USC 46 Solo, 9 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 5 Int
2015 Desmond King* Iowa 46 Solo, 26 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 8 Int
2014 Gerod Holliman* Louisville 34 Solo, 10 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 14 Int
2013 Darqueze Dennard* Michigan State 32 Solo, 28 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 4 Int
2012 Johnthan Banks* Mississippi State 39 Solo, 24 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 4 Int
2011 Morris Claiborne* LSU 32 Solo, 19 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 6 Int
2010 Patrick Peterson* LSU 29 Solo, 13 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 4 Int
2009 Eric Berry* Tennessee 56 Solo, 31 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 2 Int
2008 Malcolm Jenkins* Ohio State 34 Solo, 23 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 3 Int
2007 Antoine Cason Arizona 57 Solo, 14 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 5 Int
2006 Aaron Ross* Texas 47 Solo, 10 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 6 Int
2005 Michael Huff* Texas 44 Solo, 43 Ast, 2.0 Sk, 1 Int
2004 Carlos Rogers* Auburn 2 Int, 53 Yds, 1 TD
2003 Derrick Strait* Oklahoma 3 Int, 127 Yds, 0 TD
2002 Terence Newman* Kansas State 5 Int, 21 Yds, 0 TD
2001 Roy Williams Oklahoma 2 FR, 25 Yds, 1 TD
2000 Jamar Fletcher Wisconsin 7 Int, 179 Yds, 0 TD
1999 Tyrone Carter* Minnesota

5 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

I'm not convinced. There is not a specific safety award but the Jim Thorpe award for DBs hasn't translated particularly well.

2016 Adoree Jackson USC 46 Solo, 9 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 5 Int
2015 Desmond King* Iowa 46 Solo, 26 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 8 Int
2014 Gerod Holliman* Louisville 34 Solo, 10 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 14 Int
2013 Darqueze Dennard* Michigan State 32 Solo, 28 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 4 Int
2012 Johnthan Banks* Mississippi State 39 Solo, 24 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 4 Int
2011 Morris Claiborne* LSU 32 Solo, 19 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 6 Int
2010 Patrick Peterson* LSU 29 Solo, 13 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 4 Int
2009 Eric Berry* Tennessee 56 Solo, 31 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 2 Int
2008 Malcolm Jenkins* Ohio State 34 Solo, 23 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 3 Int
2007 Antoine Cason Arizona 57 Solo, 14 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 5 Int
2006 Aaron Ross* Texas 47 Solo, 10 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 6 Int
2005 Michael Huff* Texas 44 Solo, 43 Ast, 2.0 Sk, 1 Int
2004 Carlos Rogers* Auburn 2 Int, 53 Yds, 1 TD
2003 Derrick Strait* Oklahoma 3 Int, 127 Yds, 0 TD
2002 Terence Newman* Kansas State 5 Int, 21 Yds, 0 TD
2001 Roy Williams Oklahoma 2 FR, 25 Yds, 1 TD
2000 Jamar Fletcher Wisconsin 7 Int, 179 Yds, 0 TD
1999 Tyrone Carter* Minnesota

A lot of those guys are corners

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

A lot of those guys are corners

OK. I prefaced by saying that there is no safety award. I did my best. It is all DBs.

Can you substantiate that safeties have translated better than DBs in general? So far it's just your proclamation? I have worked to support my view all you have done is nothing.

5 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

OK. I prefaced by saying that there is no safety award. I did my best. It is all DBs.

Can you substantiate that safeties have translated better than DBs in general? So far it's just your proclamation? I have worked to support my view all you have done is nothing.

I said they have a better success rate than spread offense qbs.

53 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Rugby-style? Inform me. When I have watched rugby, it is mostly in close quarters breaking out of a scrum. Not open field at all. Is it chest high tackling??

No, hip high, target the upper thigh with the lead shoulder. 

Funny enough, Buckeyes and thus Hooker use that technique too, if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/17538/rugby-style-tackling-continues-to-work-for-seahawks-defense

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/6/12341916/nfl-rugby-tackling-concussions-seahawks-falcons

21 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

Anyone watching on NFL Network? Mayock looking like a comic book super villain with that facial hair.

Normally, I get upset when Mike gets mocked, but I've gotta admit BSF, your post was accurate & very funny! 

It reminded me of the late Vincent Price actually. 

8dce218bb0df065d5c1c542a1a9595a9.jpg

hi-res-7aa0ffcf90ba398ef6112a763a1f9a52_