Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Holder, Don't count out Lamp at 15

Not the sexiest of picks for sure and clearly not the greatest need position.  But it does kind of make sense should it happen.  

He is a day one starter at RG.  The Colts have some flexibility and talent with Clark and Haeg battling as potential RT starters.

Plus it affords them some flexibility on what to do with Mewhort next year.  Maybe it allows them to let him walk.

Better pass blocking,  better run blocking....    with a great line you can do most anything --- Dallas shows you that.  

I'd be very happy if we take Lamp at 15,  or Lamp at 20,  or Lamp at 25.      Wherever Ballard thinks gives the Colts the most value.

We're not fixing every problem in one draft,  so I'd have no problem with fixing the OL once and for all.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Better pass blocking,  better run blocking....    with a great line you can do most anything --- Dallas shows you that.  

I'd be very happy if we take Lamp at 15,  or Lamp at 20,  or Lamp at 25.      Wherever Ballard thinks gives the Colts the most value.

We're not fixing every problem in one draft,  so I'd have no problem with fixing the OL once and for all.

Yep, and for anyone that would be upset with the pick, just remember that there are 6 more draft picks to work with, all in rounds 2-5.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yep, and for anyone that would be upset with the pick, just remember that there are 6 more draft picks to work with, all in rounds 2-5.

Also if someone is upset they should look at the $140 million investment who is coming off of his second surgery that we need to keep clean.  Give the man time and see the routes open up.  Our D saw that a lot last year...lol

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

.......... fixing the OL once and for all.

This needs to happen. The offense is only going to be as good as the O-line allows. The Colts appear to have a golden opportunity to put together a  young line that has no weak link with a solid bench for many years to come.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh.....     by the way,  and this is only for amusement,   but it appears Lamp is smart enough to take advantage of his last name....

And if you keep scrolling down,  you'll see that apparently so is Jake Butt!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000803012/article/draft-prospect-forrest-lamp-to-endorse-lamps

Glad you could shed some light on him.

21 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Also if someone is upset they should look at the $140 million investment who is coming off of his second surgery that we need to keep clean.  Give the man time and see the routes open up.  Our D saw that a lot last year...lol

For sure. And as much as we all want that elite EDGE, I think with the Hankins signing, and the overhaul of our LB corps, that the pass rush will be improved regardless of whether we add an EDGE in the draft or not. It won't be tops in the league by any means, but at least we'll be able to hit home when we send guys on blitzes now, which will be a huge improvement.

34 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

In regards to letting routes develop, I still think Chud needs to make it a priority to get WRs open quicker thus allowing Luck to get rid of the ball much sooner. That was one of the main issues why the OL had struggled in recent years. 

25 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

In regards to letting routes develop, I still think Chud needs to make it a priority to get WRs open quicker thus allowing Luck to get rid of the ball much sooner. That was one of the main issues why the OL had struggled in recent years. 

We as I do agree Chud needs to do better with some play calls, Luck unfortunately is not a quick throw QB.  With the O-line, they struggled because they were not great players.  We had a terrible Center until now and had weak interior line play all together.  If you have a better line like I mentioned then you have a better chance of success with the same 5 to 7 step drops that we always want to run.

12 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If Ballard drafted Lamp Indy would have an OL of 3 1st round picks, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd. Anything short of a top 5 OL going forward would be a dissapointment. 

And a whole defense consisting of a maximum of 2 seconds and 2 thirds. Eek!

If we went Lamp in the 1st, then CB Gareon Conley in the 2nd and CB Sidney Jones in the 3rd, then defense and RB in the 4th round, and wind things up with defense in the 5th round, I would not complain. :)

Doing so would / should hugely improve the OL, bring outstanding CB depth with two possible top starter quality CBs, add an additional weapon / possible future starter at RB, and still add 3 more guys to the defense, this draft could / would imho, totally rock!

26 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

If we went Lamp in the 1st, then Conley in the 2nd and Sidney Jones in the 3rd, then defense and RB in the 4th round, I would not complain. :)

so you'd be good with a high possibility of having neither our 2nd or 3rd picks able to play this year? one, maybe never?

I wouldn't like it...but I would understand it. He would be a day one starter and an immediate upgrade for the OL. So I would definitely understand it more than burning on a 3rd-4th rounder on some OG prospect to compete.

I would feel much better if he was the pick after trading down to the mid 20s or later though.

But really, I am not sure if drafting Lamp is Ballard's style. I guess we really don't know Ballard's style. But I would think Feeney would be more likely...if anything.

The draft would have to fall very much not in our favor for me to see this happening....it wouldn't be the end of the world but to me this is the worst case scenario.....worst case with the exception of a wr or qb but we know that ain't happening. I really feel like we are focused in on an edge rusher or lb....but I've been wrong so many times I know better than to bet on it.

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

He's only had one surgery not two but I digress, you are right about the rest. If there are no clear cut defensive stars available, Lamp is one of the safest picks you could have and would help the offense tremendously. Trade up with your next pick to get a defensive player if necessary.

5 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He's only had one surgery not two but I digress, you are right about the rest. If there are no clear cut defensive stars available, Lamp is one of the safest picks you could have and would help the offense tremendously. Trade up with your next pick to get a defensive player if necessary.

You are right one surgery.  I was thinking he had surgery for the kidney but he did not.  Regardless I agree with you as well.

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

so you'd be good with a high possibility of having neither our 2nd or 3rd picks able to play this year? one, maybe never?

Basically, yes.  I would be willing to wait on Sidney Jones.  As for Conley, I am basing it on faith that the allegations are false and won't go anywhere.  Of course, if I were actually doing the picking, I'd have a lot more information available to me than we have available here, but if I believe the allegations to be false, I'd be willing to take the chance.  Yes, risky, but such high reward possibility.

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

its not like we got much out of green or clark last year either

im not saying that is a good argument but its not uncommon

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Not the sexiest of picks for sure and clearly not the greatest need position.  But it does kind of make sense should it happen.  

He is a day one starter at RG.  The Colts have some flexibility and talent with Clark and Haeg battling as potential RT starters.

Plus it affords them some flexibility on what to do with Mewhort next year.  Maybe it allows them to let him walk.

Pretty much my exact thoughts, except the Colts have the cap room to re-sign Mewhort. +1.

30 minutes ago, MTC said:

Pretty much my exact thoughts, except the Colts have the cap room to re-sign Mewhort. +1.

Having the cap space and actually wanting to spend it on a 2nd contract for a guard are two different things altogether.