Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predicting the Colts 2017 NFL Draft

I'm going to make my predictions, round by round, of what I think the Colts get in the upcoming days in the 2017 NFL Draft. These are not necessarily my picks, but what I think Ballard will choose in each round. There will also be no trades, as they are impossible to predict with certainty.

Round 1: Charles Harris DE/OLB- With Conley accused of rape and Foster's drug test sample being diluted, it came down to Harris and Lamp for me. With the need for a pass rusher, Harris being a natural 3/4 OLB that fits our scheme, and Ballard showing interest in him, I think he is the obvious choice.

Round 2: Joe Mixon RB- There have been rumors of us going RB early in the draft, and again, Ballard has shown interest in Joe Mixon. There's a very good chance he could the explosive playmaker that boosts us to the next level on offense, and he could be the best RB in this draft class if he stays clean.

Round 3: Teez Tabor/Sidney Jones CB- I'm cheating a bit here, but with the depth at CB in this class, I think we take a CB in the 3rd round. I think it's likely one of these two fall to our 3rd round pick and Ballard snags him. Either one could be our no2 CB, and an eventual no1 for us down the road.

Round 4: Howard Wilson CB- Going Cb again here to take advantage of a deep position that I think Ballard will double down on. In a normal draft, Howard Wilson is a 3rd round pick. In this draft, he falls to the 4th, and we nab him to be a CB of the future and a possible starter day 1.

Round 4: Connor Harris ILB- Admittedly, we miss out on the top tier ILB's in this draft, but with a 4th rounder, Ballard chooses Harris and creates a lot of competition within the ILB position. Lots of potential here, have to see if it comes through.

Round 4: Eddie Vanderdoes DT- This is a chance to help bolster the D-Line and get what could be David Parry's replacement, or just get some defensive line depth. Vanderdoes would be a great steal here after tearing his ACL in 2015 and not being fully recovered. I think he is a much better pick than his draft slot here.

Round 5: Adam Bisnowaty OG/OT- In this prediction, Ballard has avoided O-Line til now, so we take a player in Bisnowaty that can play either Tackle or Guard. Could back up 4 positions, and possibly start in case of injury as well. Could start day 1 at Right Guard.

Ok, this is my prediction on the Colts 2017 NFL Draft, pick for pick. Tell me what you think, and what changes you would make and why. Look forward to discussion!

Just now, Smonroe said:

I like the way you think..draft..whatever...

From what we're hearing, the Bengals aren't going to let Mixon slip by them at 2.

That's definitely a possibility, but not a guarantee. If it happens, it happens. I do think we'll take him if available though. A lot of things could happen to make the Bengals choose someone else, especially if someone falls that they like. Too hard to tell right now.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

I would say a Corner in round 2 because I do not see Mixon still being there for us.  Plus there still might be a few CB's ranked above a RB (I hope anyways).  I like everything else with Sidney Jones over Tabor. And then a RB in the 4th.

That would be a very solid strategy if Mixon does go before our 2nd rounder (45th overall). You can't just reach on a different RB, and I don't think Ballard will. In the event that Mixon goes to the Bengals (or whoever), we should go CB in the 2nd and 3rd (or 2nd and 4th) and take an RB in the 3rd or 4th (whoever it lines up at BPA).

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That would be a very solid strategy if Mixon does go before our 2nd rounder (45th overall). You can't just reach on a different RB, and I don't think Ballard will. In the event that Mixon goes to the Bengals (or whoever), we should go CB in the 2nd and 3rd (or 2nd and 4th) and take an RB in the 3rd or 4th (whoever it lines up at BPA).

Image result for that's a bold strategy cotton

Just now, ColtsBlitz said:

Haeg will start at RG. I don't see a 5th round rookie starting over a player that started for us at 3 different positions and did fairly well

That's why I said he could. Also remember, Haeg himself was a 5th round rookie last year! :) 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

That's why I said he could. Also remember, Haeg himself was a 5th round rookie last year! :) 

Haeg was a great pick by, believe it or not Grigson.  I also like how our O-line molded and stuck together this offseason which is why I'm skeptical of adding another offensive lineman to our guys. If Ballard thinks it's the best course of action, then I'm ok with it because I think he has done his homework

Just now, ColtsBlitz said:

Haeg was a great pick by, believe it or not Grigson.  I also like how our O-line molded and stuck together this offseason which is why I'm skeptical of adding another offensive lineman to our guys. If Ballard thinks it's the best course of action, then I'm ok with it because I think he has done his homework

I agree. I gave us a lineman with our last pick because of that exact reason. Basically an all purpose backup (aka Joe Reitz), to fill in in case of injury. 

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

I don't get the Connor Harris love. He's just a 2 down LB like the ones we have now. That's a lateral move.

I don't love him, but with 7 picks and being unable to fill every need early, I chose someone who can create competition at a position of need. Pass rusher and CB are important, and I feel we'll take an RB early, as said a few weeks ago. Remember, this is what I think Ballard will do, not what I would do.

32 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I completely agree.  I think Mixon will become a solid back and would be a great asset for us but I honestly hope he is gone and we can focus on BPA (hopefully a CB).

Just now, DaColts85 said:

I completely agree.  I think Mixon will become a solid back and would be a great asset for us but I honestly hope he is gone and we can focus on BPA (hopefully a CB).

It wouldn't hurt my feelings either way as I love Mixon as a player and also think the CB pool is deep, but if he goes early, a 2nd round CB would be tremendous for this defense, especially paired with Harris in the 1st round.

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Plus to this point Ballard has shown everyone on the team that competition will be there.  So adding more depth and competition is something I would expect more than not.  Plus everyone seems to forget the starter from last year was Good who they still have hope for.  Drop some weight and stay healthy and Haeg becomes the solid back-up.

11 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

gotta give Grigson credit that was a great draft potentially and his best draft since the first one. Unfortunately for him, it was the 3 years in between that killed if for him (among other things)

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It wouldn't hurt my feelings either way as I love Mixon as a player and also think the CB pool is deep, but if he goes early, a 2nd round CB would be tremendous for this defense, especially paired with Harris in the 1st round.

Say Mixon is gone and we look at RB in the 3rd or 4th round.  Keeping your original thought, who do you see Ballard going after with the RB position.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

Say Mixon is gone and we look at RB in the 3rd or 4th round.  Keeping your original thought, who do you see Ballard going after with the RB position.

Kareem Hunt easily. There is genuine interest in him by us and he is severely underrated. I think we would take him with our first 4th round pick.

Kareem Hunt easily. There is genuine interest in him by us and he is severely underrated. I think we would take him with our first 4th round pick.

I was hoping you would say him...he has been the one I have wanted since the beginning.  Good back to be had in the 4th.

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't love him, but with 7 picks and being unable to fill every need early, I chose someone who can create competition at a position of need. Pass rusher and CB are important, and I feel we'll take an RB early, as said a few weeks ago. Remember, this is what I think Ballard will do, not what I would do.

You'd be better off taking Jalen Reeves-Maybin there more upside since he's good in coverage.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

You'd be better off taking Jalen Reeves-Maybin there more upside since he's good in coverage.

He's too small IMO, and is more of a 6th-7th rounder anyway. Probably could get him as a UDFA. That'd be the definition of a reach in the 4th round.

27 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Hunt is a pretty good back.  Could be faster, but he's sort of similar to Gore to me. He just knows how to play the position.  Great vision and balance along with really good size.

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He's too small IMO, and is more of a 6th-7th rounder anyway. Probably could get him as a UDFA. That'd be the definition of a reach in the 4th round.

I think you're right about Maybin.  Good chance he'll be between the 6th round and undrafted is my hunch.

Just now, krunk said:

Hunt is a pretty good back.  Could be faster, but he's sort of similar to Gore to me. He just knows how to play the position.  Great vision and balance along with really good size.

I like him a lot tbh. Wouldn't even be upset if we took him in the 3rd, though I think we could get him in the 4th.

I like him a lot tbh. Wouldn't even be upset if we took him in the 3rd, though I think we could get him in the 4th.

I think he'll go in the 4th.  Small chance he may be there in the 5th just because of the small school.  I think the 4th is more probable.

Just now, krunk said:

I think he'll go in the 4th.  Small chance he may be there in the 5th just because of the small school.  I think the 4th is more probable.

Most likely. I'm higher on him than most, so I'm a bit biased. I agree with the Gore comparision. Could be like Matt Forte a bit as well. Either would be great.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Most likely. I'm higher on him than most, so I'm a bit biased. I agree with the Gore comparision. Could be like Matt Forte a bit as well. Either would be great.

I'd be okay with a Kareem Hunt pickup.   I've been trying to wrap my mind around Brian Hill, but I just can't really bring myself to like him for some reason or the other.  He's got good size though.

Just now, krunk said:

I'd be okay with a Kareem Hunt pickup.   I've been trying to wrap my mind around Brian Hill, but I just can't really bring myself to like him for some reason or the other.  He's got good size though.

Hill I don't dislike, but this particular class just makes him look so mediocre. Lots of better options IMO.

Hill I don't dislike, but this particular class just makes him look so mediocre. Lots of better options IMO.

With Hill in my opinion all the decision making and agility seem slow and I disagree with some who say he's got good vision.

Nice predictions. The only thing I would add is that since Ballard has gone out of his way to praise the TE and safety class I would expect him to draft one of each as well. John Johnson at FS is someone he has shown interest in and at TE I like Jonnu Smith and Bucky Hodges in the later rounds. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

With Hill in my opinion all the decision making and agility seem slow and I disagree with some who say he's got good vision.

I agree. His vision is poor, and he hesitates when he runs, which drives me crazy. Love his size, but it's not enough to make me draft him over someone like Kareem Hunt.

I agree. His vision is poor, and he hesitates when he runs, which drives me crazy. Love his size, but it's not enough to make me draft him over someone like Kareem Hunt.

To me he runs into the back of lineman much in the same way Trent Richardson did, and usually when he finally chooses a hole there was a better selection he could have made that would have netted more yardage.

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Nice predictions. The only thing I would add is that since Ballard has gone out of his way to praise the TE and safety class I would expect him to draft one of each as well. John Johnson at FS is someone he has shown interest in and at TE I like Jonnu Smith and Bucky Hodges in the later rounds. 

I thought of John Johnson in the 5th, but didn't want to go overboard with 3 secondary picks. Getting an O-Lineman seemed better. We might get a TE, it's just hard to fill so many needs with 7 spots and I thought the CB position needed two players.

Just now, krunk said:

To me he runs into the back of lineman much in the same way Trent Richardson did, and usually when he finally chooses a hole there was a better selection he could have made that would have netted more yardage.

I was about to compare him to Trent Richardson, perfect comparision.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

2 positions the Colts can never have enough of, Olinemen & CB. Historically injury prone.