Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What are we actually missing?

Colts1324

I've been thinking about what our top needs are while doing my mock drafts and I really have come to the conclusion we aren't missing that much. Why does everyone hate on us? Even our own "beloved" Colts fans? 

Let's make this a discussion about comparing our position groups with the rest of the league. 

QB: top 5. Don't need to explain. Luck is going to prove the doubters wrong. 

RB: Gore/Turbin/Rookie... this group should be addressed in the draft.   Rank: top 20. 

WR: Hilton, Moncrief, Aiken, Dorsett. - top 10

TE: Doyle, Swoope, TBD... Group is based on potential. - about average. Rank: 15th range 

RT: Clark. Could be a stud if develops this offseason and this season.

RG: bottom 10. Need to find a clear cut starter.

C: We are set. Expect big improvement - top 8

LG: Jack Mewhort... when healthy he is in the tier right below elite. Really good. Top 6 at LG. 

LT: Castonzo. He has struggled the last two years. Still is a decent blindside protector. But needs to step up his game. 12-15th overall.

DE: Henry Anderson- Hopefully has that breakout year. Top 12

DE- Langford/Ridgeway... Langford is nothing super flashy but gets the job done. Ridgeway isn't ever going to be a star but could be a solid starter. Will be a good battle. --20th overall

DT/NT: Jonathan Hankins. Huge pickup. Will be that big bodies all around NT that we have been missing.... I have him as 7th best in the league. 

OLB: Sheard, Rookie, Mingo

Solid signings and should provide a better pass rush off the edge. 16th-20th depending on the draft. 

ILB: Jackson, Morrison, Bostic, Spence, Rookie. This is the one of two positions that I feel like we all know we could improve. Curious as to who gets cut if we draft an ILB. 20th-25th overall.

OLB: John Simon, Akeem Ayers, Rookie(whether he plays Sam or Rush)

Simon is going to surprise people. Should be a big improvement here. 

CB: We have a top 15-20 corner in Davis. If he is fully healthy. But we have no depth. Worst postion group on the team. With a top corner in the draft, we could drastically improve this group..... Rank: 26th-29th

FS: Butler/Green. This postion is kind of an unknown. Butler is small for the position, but has played well in limited time. Green has potential but was terrible in coverage last year. We need him to develop throughout this season. 

SS: Geathers is a stud when healthy. I think he is a playmaker. I have him ranked high cause he can cover and make game changing hits. 

Special teams unit downgraded when Pat retired but is still solid.

With a CB, RB, and an ILB in the draft, we will have upgraded our three worst positions. All 3 positions are ones that can come in and be really effective. I think with our schedule we can go 12-4 and be a number 1 or 2 seed. Having a bye week will make a big difference for this team as we have been beat up every year when December/January rolls around.

Overall, what important position groups does our division have us beat at. Some. Several.  But we have the best QB, WR, C, NT, SS, and arguably  LG. With a top corner, we will have a good pair of corners for the first time. 

I dont see see where the 8-8, 9-7 predictions are coming from. 

honestly --- outside of making SURE the OL is set --- stars, impact players at ANY position.

you win with stars. Right now, we've got Luck and TY. 

no other stars. 

that's why I wouldn't mind an offensive player at 15 ---- even a wideout.

58 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I've been thinking about what our top needs are while doing my mock drafts and I really have come to the conclusion we aren't missing that much. Why does everyone hate on us? Even our own "beloved" Colts fans? 

Let's make this a discussion about comparing our position groups with the rest of the league. 

RB: Gore/Turbin/Rookie... this group should be addressed in the draft.   Rank: top 20. 

TE: Doyle, Swoope, TBD... Group is based on potential. - about average. Rank: 15th range 

LG: Jack Mewhort... when healthy he is in the tier right below elite. Really good. Top 6 at LG. 

LT: Castonzo. He has struggled the last two years. Still is a decent blindside protector. But needs to step up his game. 12-15th overall.

DE- Langford/Ridgeway... Langford is nothing super flashy but gets the job done. Ridgeway isn't ever going to be a star but could be a solid starter. Will be a good battle. --20th overall

DT/NT: Jonathan Hankins. Huge pickup. Will be that big bodies all around NT that we have been missing.... I have him as 7th best in the league. 

Solid signings and should provide a better pass rush off the edge. 16th-20th depending on the draft. 

ILB: Jackson, Morrison, Bostic, Spence, Rookie. This is the one of two positions that I feel like we all know we could improve. Curious as to who gets cut if we draft an ILB. 20th-25th overall.

CB: We have a top 15-20 corner in Davis. If he is fully healthy. But we have no depth. Worst postion group on the team. With a top corner in the draft, we could drastically improve this group..... Rank: 26th-29th

FS: Butler/Green. This postion is kind of an unknown. Butler is small for the position, but has played well in limited time. Green has potential but was terrible in coverage last year. We need him to develop throughout this season. 

SS: Geathers is a stud when healthy. I think he is a playmaker. I have him ranked high cause he can cover and make game changing hits. 

With a CB, RB, and an ILB in the draft, we will have upgraded our three worst positions. All 3 positions are ones that can come in and be really effective. I think with our schedule we can go 12-4 and be a number 1 or 2 seed. Having a bye week will make a big difference for this team as we have been beat up every year when December/January rolls around.

Overall, what important position groups does our division have us beat at. Some. Several.  But we have the best QB, WR, C, NT, SS, and arguably  LG. With a top corner, we will have a good pair of corners for the first time. 

Outside of Vontae who is good enough to be considered elite or even Pro-Bowl material? We still have a huge question mark at ILB, and we dont have a TRUE Pass rusher at OLB we do have needa they just arent as big thanks to Ballard bringing in said "Competition"

13 minutes ago, Gigc said:

honestly --- outside of making SURE the OL is set --- stars, impact players at ANY position.

you win with stars. Right now, we've got Luck and TY. 

no other stars. 

that's why I wouldn't mind an offensive player at 15 ---- even a wideout.

Agreed. But Kelly is going to be a star center. Geathers CAN be that star safety. Why sign Aiken if we want to draft a wideout in the 1st? We would have to trade one of or wideouts. And no receiver to me in this draft is that appealing. All of the top 3 receivers in this draft are currently injured and Williams had a bad neck injury in 2015. I think we need a star RB. But Foreman can be that guy in the 2nd if we go that route. 

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

I don't understand this post.     If this is true,  then we shouldn't have fired Grigson.

Or Ballard shouldn't be talking about the need to get younger,  more talented,  faster,  and more skilled.

I'm sorry to say your views are the views of a fan.     Way, way too optimistic.     I won't go position by position and player by player,   but in a nutshell,  professional's would not agree with this.      At all.

We had a 30th ranked defense for a reason last year.      No talent.     And the talent we've collected this off-season are nice complimentary pieces,   but not playing making difference makers.      They might exceed expectations,   but they're not that great.    

We're a couple of drafts and another good off-season away from being serious contenders.

We can exceed expectations team-wise because we have Luck.     But even then,  one man,  no matter how great,   can only do so much....

We're not nearly as close as you think we are.      Or,  to answer your question:   What are we missing?

Plenty.

1 minute ago, ProblChld32 said:

Outside of Vontae who is good enough to be considered elite or even Pro-Bowl material? We still have a huge question mark at ILB, and we dont have a TRUE Pass rusher at OLB we do have needa they just arent as big thanks to Ballard bringing in said "Competition"

Yes, but almost every team has needs. Hilton and Luck are pro bowlers and elite as it is. Kelly, Geathers, Hankins, and Mewhort will all likely be named to at least one pro-bowl. Denver, the best defensive team in the AFC, has one at QB, RB, and on the o-line. The pats need to improve on the o-Line or at OLB. Hilton,

Just now, Colts1324 said:

Yes, but almost every team has needs. Hilton and Luck are pro bowlers and elite as it is. Kelly, Geathers, Hankins, and Mewhort will all likely be named to at least one pro-bowl. Denver, the best defensive team in the AFC, has one at QB, RB, and on the o-line. The pats need to improve on the o-Line or at OLB. Hilton,

But we aren't talking about those other teams we are talking about the Colts, this roster still needs help at these positions IMO and in this order CB, MLB, OLB, RB, OL, TE

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't understand this post.     If this is true,  then we shouldn't have fired Grigson.

Or Ballard shouldn't be talking about the need to get younger,  more talented,  faster,  and more skilled.

I'm sorry to say your views are the views of a fan.     Way, way too optimistic.     I won't go position by position and player by player,   but in a nutshell,  professional's would not agree with this.      At all.

We had a 30th ranked defense for a reason last year.      No talent.     And the talent we've collected this off-season are nice complimentary pieces,   but not playing making difference makers.      They might exceed expectations,   but they're not that great.    

We're a couple of drafts and another good off-season away from being serious contenders.

We can exceed expectations team-wise because we have Luck.     But even then,  one man,  no matter how great,   can only do so much....

We're not nearly as close as you think we are.      Or,  to answer your question:   What are we missing?

Plenty.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Plenty.

I know we are missing pieces, and I have stated in every post I've made. I think we can get two stars in this draft. We can instantly improve our CB group with Conley, Jones(if we got him in the 2nd), or Kevin King/Humphrey in a trade down. 

I was basically asking others what really are we missing? What positions are we missing from being considered a true contender by the rest of the league? 

If you look at it position by position, we aren't as bad as our 30th ranked defense nor our record said we were last year. We lost a lot of games we should have won. And with our players back from injury and the ones added we should be poised to make a big jump. Don't forget we have AL at QB. We did not have a healthy Anderson, Geathers, Davis, or ANY pass rush last year.

We've improved tremendously at NT with Hankins. Simon and Sheard will be a much better tandem until our rookie develops. Our O-Line may take a huge leap. We actually have depth at most positions except corner and safety now. And with a RB like foreman, we could really make a big run next year.

Yes, I'm a big Colts fan, so I sometimes look at things from a fan's perspective... Sorry? Lol

12 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

People said the same last year basically. And then the season started and they wanted to fire everyone when we were losing. Anything can happen in the NFL.

Very true. I know I very well could be wrong. But I'm confident we finish 11-5 or better. 

14 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

But we aren't talking about those other teams we are talking about the Colts, this roster still needs help at these positions IMO and in this order CB, MLB, OLB, RB, OL, TE

Maybe we fill CB, MLB, and RB in the draft. 

I think Ballard leaves the O-line alone and hopes to God they gel and improve like the rest of us. Won't be mad if he spends draft picks on an o-lineman to protect Luck, but would be surprised if it's a high pick.

I don't know, I'm bored laying in bed, and wrote my mind. I think we are closer(pre-season) than we have been in the Luck era. 

6 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I know we are missing pieces, and I have stated in every post I've made. I think we can get two stars in this draft. We can instantly improve our CB group with Conley, Jones(if we got him in the 2nd), or Kevin King/Humphrey in a trade down. 

I was basically asking others what really are we missing? What positions are we missing from being considered a true contender by the rest of the league? 

If you look at it position by position, we aren't as bad as our 30th ranked defense nor our record said we were last year. We lost a lot of games we should have won. And with our players back from injury and the ones added we should be poised to make a big jump. Don't forget we have AL at QB. We did not have a healthy Anderson, Geathers, Davis, or ANY pass rush last year.

We've improved tremendously at NT with Hankins. Simon and Sheard will be a much better tandem until our rookie develops. Our O-Line may take a huge leap. We actually have depth at most positions except corner and safety now. And with a RB like foreman, we could really make a big run next year.

Yes, I'm a big Colts fan, so I sometimes look at things from a fan's perspective... Sorry? Lol

You have nothing to apologize for.....    being a Colts fan is why we're all here....

But here is what you wrote that I responded to....

"and I really have come to the conclusion we aren't missing that much.  Why does everyone hate on us? Even our own "beloved" Colts fans? "

We mostly have Andrew Luck and 52 other guys...    and that needs to change under Chris Ballard...

I'm exaggerating for effect,   but our roster is just not that talented.     Could we win 10 games this year?    Yes.   But it's not a lock....    we've got our work cut out for us....

46 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Agreed. But Kelly is going to be a star center. Geathers CAN be that star safety. Why sign Aiken if we want to draft a wideout in the 1st? We would have to trade one of or wideouts. And no receiver to me in this draft is that appealing. All of the top 3 receivers in this draft are currently injured and Williams had a bad neck injury in 2015. I think we need a star RB. But Foreman can be that guy in the 2nd if we go that route. 

I think Aiken signed a short-term contract and Moncreif is in the last year of his rookie deal, which means he could be let go if he doesn't rebound this year. (i like Moncrief)

Add into that we were in play for Alshon Jeffrey --- who, by the way is a LOT like Mike Williams --- and a WR is a possible pick. just sayin

If they hit in the draft and and maybe find some extra competition or depth in udfa, I think they could be good next year.  Thing about this team right now is no one really knows how they will fair.  They could suck, they could win the division.  

Predictions are tough enough to make in general.  Whether you think they're going to be 8-8 or 11-5, you could be right lol.  It's always fun to speculate but it's so d@mn hard with this team.  I personally think they will win 8-10 games but that could be the difference between being third vs first in the South :dunno:.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You have nothing to apologize for.....    being a Colts fan is why we're all here....

"and I really have come to the conclusion we aren't missing that much.  Why does everyone hate on us? Even our own "beloved" Colts fans? "

We mostly have Andrew Luck and 52 other guys...    and that needs to change under Chris Ballard...

I'm exaggerating for effect,   but our roster is just not that talented.     Could we win 10 games this year?    Yes.   But it's not a lock....    we've got our work cut out for us....

Love how you replied to this!

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

Maybe we fill CB, MLB, and RB in the draft. 

I think Ballard leaves the O-line alone and hopes to God they gel and improve like the rest of us. Won't be mad if he spends draft picks on an o-lineman to protect Luck, but would be surprised if it's a high pick.

I don't know, I'm bored laying in bed, and wrote my mind. I think we are closer(pre-season) than we have been in the Luck era. 

As a fan,  I want you and all Colts fans to enjoy every time you log on to this website.      And I don't mean to be the guy who says there's no Santa Claus,   but I think we're likely as far away as we've ever been in the Luck era,  just the opposite of what you wrote.

And I'm not trying to give you a hard time,  I'm only trying to give you a realistic appraisal of what this season looks like.     I'm trying to lower expectations.     That way if I'm right,  then you're not as disappointed,  but if I'm wrong (and I might be!)   then you can to doubly-enjoy the fact that you were right all along!     Win-win for you!!

Our roster is missing a lot of talent.    It's missing play makers,  difference makers.    Guys who would make opposing coordinators lose sleep over trying to figure out how to prepare for the Colts on either side of the ball.   Other than Luck and maybe Hilton,   no one worries or fears us.      Luck can cover-up a lot of flaws in a roster,  but that's only true to a point.

Believe me,  I hope you're right and I'm wrong.     I just want to prepare you for the other way around just in case.....

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

We're missing (in order of importance imo):

1. A legit CB#2

2. A difference maker at ILB

3. A decent nickel corner

4. A young EDGE to develop

5. A young running back (although I like Turbin) 

And to make the original poster's point, each of those positions are deep in this draft.

What I think the poster is saying is - we have already (on paper, for sure) upgraded from the personnel who were employed in the 30th ranked defense from last year and STILL have a very promising draft to fill in the missing links this year.

He is saying, I think, that with a few of those pieces, we win a couple of those squeakers that we missed last year. All of a sudden, we're not 8-8, we're 12-4. Not becasue the team magically became elite, but becasue the pieces that were holding us just behind where we needed to be have been upgraded.

I am not holding out for the #1 or #2 seed that he mentions, but I do believe with a few more pieces that are easily within our reach we are winning 10 or 11 games, and that should certainly be enough to get into the playoffs. And getting to the playoffs is enough because ANYTHING can happen in the post season. In the playoffs, everyone is a contender.

I think what we are or were truly missing was a healthy Luck and a defense that could cover TE's and RB's. So if Luck's shoulder is 100% and we have picked up or do pick up some one who can cover the TE's and RB's we are going to be much better. Yes we don't have the best at any position but we won 8 games with the garbage we put on the field last year , so as long as Luck is good to go and we can stop giving up 3rd and 10's to the back out of the flat I think 10-12 wins is very realistic. 

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

1. A legit CB#2

I was going to write almost exactly this but you apparently can read my mind before I even think something! 

What are we actually missing?

Head Coach...

I'm sorry Chuck.. I feel like sometimes we need some fire. Going "3 and out" four straight times doesn't warrant just a clap and "Lets just keep chopping Freaking wood" Comments. We are completely outcoached it's hilarious.. every freaking 4pm game we play.. "deer in the headlights" look from all of our guys.. just not ready to go. I wish we were more aggressive..no huddle from the start. We start way too slow all the time and have to play comeback. It gets sickening after awhile.

The other thing we are missing..

How many weeks will we make it before ALL of our freaking DB's get injured? Over/Under 4 games? 

These are some of the reasons why we are seeing 8-8 9-7 just no faith in the wishy washy team.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Plenty.

To your first point - the op included existing players, Ballard's FAs and the draft. He's not saying we were fine with what we had.  Point 2 -  Ballard's insistence that we get younger, faster, developer playmakers and add competition is a philosophy we can all agree on. Point 3 - Who cares what the "Professionals" think? They don't really know a whole lot about the Colts. The Oline played better at the end of the year and I can't tell you how many of them said they need a guard, based on the number of sacks given up for the year. That's just lazy journalism. Point 4 - Talent was a problem last year on defense but they also had aging veterans, rookies and a lot of injuries. All that plays into the ranking of the defense. The old guys are gone, the rookies have another years experience and guys like Gathers, Langford and Mewhort are healthy. Point 5 - How do you know we are two years away? You don't even know who we will get in the draft.  So, you're giving up on 2017 already?  Point 6 - To say we only have Luck is pretty short-sighted. There are some really good players on this team. Point 7 - it's not unreasonable to think this team can't be "serious contenders" this year. As far as the original question "what are we missing" , we should wait until after this weekend to see, shouldn't we?

Fair enough. I do realize we are missing pieces. Every team in the league is. But with a good draft and our schedule, we should be able to win this division with the best QB by far in the division. 

"Experts" putting us at 8-8 or 9-7 is a little low given our schedule and the fact we went 8-8 with a harder schedule and half our team injured last year. 

10 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Very true. I know I very well could be wrong. But I'm confident we finish 11-5 or better. 

We may finish at 11-5 or better mostly due to the schedule. This team has not been infused with talent.  Ballard has filled the defense with a lot of unprovens and we will be depending heavily on rookies on defense. 

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Head Coach...

I'm sorry Chuck.. I feel like sometimes we need some fire. Going "3 and out" four straight times doesn't warrant just a clap and "Lets just keep chopping Freaking wood" Comments. We are completely outcoached it's hilarious.. every freaking 4pm game we play.. "deer in the headlights" look from all of our guys.. just not ready to go. I wish we were more aggressive..no huddle from the start. We start way too slow all the time and have to play comeback. It gets sickening after awhile.

The other thing we are missing..

How many weeks will we make it before ALL of our freaking DB's get injured? Over/Under 4 games? 

These are some of the reasons why we are seeing 8-8 9-7 just no faith in the wishy washy team.

lol I'm honestly torn on Chuck as our coach... At first, I was PO'd that we didn't chuck him.

But now, I feel like having Ballard as the GM may really allow him to actually coach and have a say in who plays/goes. Ballard has surrounded him with a team that has depth and competition at most positions that he has never had, so hopefully he surprises all of us next year.  

1 minute ago, deedub75 said:

We may finish at 11-5 or better mostly due to the schedule. This team has not been infused with talent.  Ballard has filled the defense with a lot of unprovens and we will be depending heavily on rookies on defense. 

The schedule helps, but do you realize Luck is finally going to be able to throw without having pain? Our offense is going to have a another offseason under their belt to better Chud's offense. Our defense can only get better? Our offensive line isn't going to get worse? 

Hankins, Sheard, and Simon all have shown they can play. They have a higher ceiling than they have played at, but they have played well in their roles. 

Plenty.

Even Michael Jordan needed helps before he was considered elite.

Grigson was able to get lucky on the offensive side of the ball but not on the defense side. Grigson made questionable choices during his tenure and rubbed many players wrong, i.e. R. Wayne.

Time will tell if Ballard was the right choice but at this moment he seems to making smart decisions in helping the team to improve.

2 hours ago, James Ducheteau said:

I think what we are or were truly missing was a healthy Luck and a defense that could cover TE's and RB's. So if Luck's shoulder is 100% and we have picked up or do pick up some one who can cover the TE's and RB's we are going to be much better. Yes we don't have the best at any position but we won 8 games with the garbage we put on the field last year , so as long as Luck is good to go and we can stop giving up 3rd and 10's to the back out of the flat I think 10-12 wins is very realistic. 

Exactly how I feel. We don't have to be perfect at every position to win games. We just need improvement at all positions, and I see improvement everywhere so far on paper. 

Hopefully, that translates to next year. I believe It will. 

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

1. A legit CB#2

I agree with that. The exact order too. 

Tell me if this isn't realistic.

1st pick: Gareon Conley.... Legit number 2 

2nd pick: Zach Cunningham/Raekwon McMillan 

3rd pick: Ryan Anderson/Carl Lawson

4th pick: Wayne Gallman/Cameron Sutton 

That would fill 4 of our needs right there. 

This draft is deep at every one of the positions we need. That's part of the reason I have fa Th we will be much improved next year. 

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

To your first point - the op included existing players, Ballard's FAs and the draft. He's not saying we were fine with what we had.  Point 2 -  Ballard's insistence that we get younger, faster, developer playmakers and add competition is a philosophy we can all agree on. Point 3 - Who cares what the "Professionals" think? They don't really know a whole lot about the Colts. The Oline played better at the end of the year and I can't tell you how many of them said they need a guard, based on the number of sacks given up for the year. That's just lazy journalism. Point 4 - Talent was a problem last year on defense but they also had aging veterans, rookies and a lot of injuries. All that plays into the ranking of the defense. The old guys are gone, the rookies have another years experience and guys like Gathers, Langford and Mewhort are healthy. Point 5 - How do you know we are two years away? You don't even know who we will get in the draft.  So, you're giving up on 2017 already?  Point 6 - To say we only have Luck is pretty short-sighted. There are some really good players on this team. Point 7 - it's not unreasonable to think this team can't be "serious contenders" this year. As far as the original question "what are we missing" , we should wait until after this weekend to see, shouldn't we?

I agree. Thanks! 

3 hours ago, lester said:

And to make the original poster's point, each of those positions are deep in this draft.

What I think the poster is saying is - we have already (on paper, for sure) upgraded from the personnel who were employed in the 30th ranked defense from last year and STILL have a very promising draft to fill in the missing links this year.

He is saying, I think, that with a few of those pieces, we win a couple of those squeakers that we missed last year. All of a sudden, we're not 8-8, we're 12-4. Not becasue the team magically became elite, but becasue the pieces that were holding us just behind where we needed to be have been upgraded.

I am not holding out for the #1 or #2 seed that he mentions, but I do believe with a few more pieces that are easily within our reach we are winning 10 or 11 games, and that should certainly be enough to get into the playoffs. And getting to the playoffs is enough because ANYTHING can happen in the post season. In the playoffs, everyone is a contender.

You literally worded how I feel about it perfect. Lol.

Exactly. And I think we are one of those teams that is young/will be young. So after having the whole regular season to play together, we very well could make a run in the postseason. If we finish 12-4. We will have 1 less game to play as well. 

38 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

Even Michael Jordan needed helps before he was considered elite.

Grigson was able to get lucky on the offensive side of the ball but not on the defense side. Grigson made questionable choices during his tenure and rubbed many players wrong, i.e. R. Wayne.

Time will tell if Ballard was the right choice but at this moment he seems to making smart decisions in helping the team to improve.

Yeah, but Michael Jordan is another discussion. Hope you aren't a Cavs fan. Lol Lebron had to leave to team up with all-stars and came back to Cleveland with a promise that they would surround him with a bunch of talent. That's not a top 3 player all-time. That's a coward. 

4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

This draft is deep at every one of the positions we need. That's part of the reason I have fa Th we will be much improved next year. 

Counting on the draft can be fool's gold.  Even if Ballard on the surface hits a home run in the draft, it still takes time to develop those rookies. They may not make an immediate impact.  Then there's that injury bug that always seems to hit us. 

With that being said, I think we will have a good record this season because of our schedule and our offense and not because the team is much improved overall on defense. 

Who knows?  Maybe the defense will gel toward the end of the season and becomes a juggernaut. 

Just now, deedub75 said:

Counting on the draft can be fool's gold.  Even if Ballard on the surface hits a home run in the draft, it still takes time to develop those rookies. They may not make an immediate impact.  Then there's that injury bug that always seems to hit us. 

With that being said, I think we will have a good record this season because of our schedule and our offense and not because the team is much improved overall on defense. 

Who knows?  Maybe the defense will gel toward the end of the season and becomes a juggernaut. 

Agree. But we actually have the best depth going in to a draft in a long time(even Peyton years). 

I just don't get how we will not be much improved defensively. We can't get worse? We can't be more injured than we were last year. We will have growing pains, stupid mistakes. But every team does. I think coming out of our bye week, we will see an even bigger jump on that side of the ball. We have talented guys. 

Hopefully without the distraction of pagano vs grigson, we can see a more team like atmosphere/culture. It would seem we have a more pro active GM this year, who feels the need to develop a family type locker room. Whereas before no one really cared about developing that. Even the oline spent the entire off season together, which says a lot to me. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see a more confident team on the field this coming season. I would however be surprised to see the same old crap we have been seeing for the last 2. 

And hoepfully, we can see a somewhat dominant offensive line. Injury free. 

31 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Interesting. Conley is up in the air right now and is unlikely to be drafted at this point. If he gets cleared between now and draft night I'd love him at #15. 

Im unsure of Cunningham's scene fit for us. I see him as more of a 4-3 WILL. McMillan could be a nice fit though. I'd personally prefer Alex Anzalone in the 3rd or 4th.

In the 3rd I'd prefer Derek Rivers over those two, more complete player.

I like Gallman too. Interested to see what happens with the RBs this year.

I'd love to pickup Jourdan Lewis on Day 2.

Well I think Conley's whole rape investigation is just a woman trying to get attention and money. I think he may slip due to that. But he still has the talent to go at 15. I wouldn't mind drafting Reddick at 15. And going Jones with our second pick either. 

Jourdan Lewis doesn't fit the mold that Ballard is looking for. Ballard has stated he wants big, tall, long armed, ball hawks at corner.