Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Conley still be on the colts board

First off we have no clue if he was even on our board before the accusation, but for argument sake lets say he was and the cloud shrouding him hasnt gone away come thursday. Should ballard still consider drafting him

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

First off we have no clue if he was even on our board before the accusation, but for argument sake lets say he was and the cloud shrouding him hasnt gone away come thursday. Should ballard still consider drafting him

First, I would 99.9% guarantee he was high on the Colts board. Second, as big as a Buckeyes fan that I am, and as much as I would love to have him on the Colts, the risk is just way too much. Ballard would be made to look a fool, to take him early, and then everything come back on Conley. Having said that, I would bet money that everything comes back in favor of Conley, and nothing happened between him and the female. The term "gold digger" is prominent for a reason, and a guy getting ready to score millions is an easy target to a lot of young women. 

I remember my grandfather all through high-school, and up to the point I was going to play in college, saying for me to leave women alone as they were going to do nothing but cause me trouble. I still laugh about it today, because for the most part I listened to him back then, but to see all this crazy crap going on now, it's probably what I will tell my kids at that time in their lives.

2 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

First, I would 99.9% guarantee he was high on the Colts board. Second, as big as a Buckeyes fan that I am, and as much as I would love to have him on the Colts, the risk is just way too much. Ballard would be made to look a fool, to take him early, and then everything come back on Conley. Having said that, I would bet money that everything comes back in favor of Conley, and nothing happened between him and the female. The term "gold digger" is prominent for a reason, and a guy getting ready to score millions is an easy target to a lot of young women. 

I remember my grandfather all through high-school, and up to the point I was going to play in college, saying for me to leave women alone as they were going to do nothing but cause me trouble. I still laugh about it today, because for the most part I listened to him back then, but to see all this crazy crap going on now, it's probably what I will tell my kids at that time in their lives.

Nicely put

I'll trust the team to root out the facts. 

I take stuff like this seriously but I have to admit the timing is slightly coincidental.

I think he slips, but I wouldn't take him unless there is movement in the case in his favour. 

Guilty until proven innocent right?

This sort of stuff I take incredibly serious and it's something that makes my blood boil and truly believe in far harsher punishment for rapist.

However after reading the police report It sounds incredibly fishy and definetly hard too believe it would hold up in court. Especially 3vs1 and her story doesn't add up. As of right now until anything else comes up he's on my board still. If he was sitting In jail right now and it wasn't a fishy story, matter of a fact even how it was leaked is fishy, I would be hoping he'd rot in that cell. 

We talking rape here!! Idk if he did it or not and I won't assume he's guilty but theres no way he's even visible on our board through days 1-2. On day 3 I'm listening. Idk if enough information can come out in time for a team to draft him any earlier.

I feel like Ballard, as soon as the rape allegation came forward, sent a scout/investigator to find out the truth. Knowing his background for taking questionable players (he had Conley on the board prior, no doubt in my mind with his talent) he wants to know the true story and Conley's take on the matter and will do whatever he can to know for sure. 

Potential jail time for rape is much, much, more risky than a pot charge or Mixon's old problem.  I'd take him with our last pick, round 5, and hope he's exonerated.

Rape or not, the event still seems fishy in that something happened that shouldn't have.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Potential jail time for rape is much, much, more risky than a pot charge or Mixon's old problem.  I'd take him with our last pick, round 5, and hope he's exonerated.

Rape or not, the event still seems fishy in that something happened that shouldn't have.

The potential PR nightmare exists for both.  Mixon is on video

38 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The potential PR nightmare exists for both.  Mixon is on video

Good point. 

I think Mixon has the ability to work through it and prove to the public he's a good kid that made a mistake.  Jail time for rape is a serious job killer.

I think if Conley is shown to have not raped the girl, maybe there is some PR issue just because of the circumstance, but I think he might stand a good chance of being the sympathetic figure due to false charge.

At this point, I'd just pick Lamp with the 1 and be done with it. Foster has screwed up and now, deserved or not, Conley has to drop. Unless it comes out that she lied it's too big of a risk. Aside from the PR nightmare, if he is convicted then we've lost a pick.

Wow. Not the responses I expected in this topic. You all need to wake up and stop believes that teams passions in Collins was wrong just because he ended up being clear.

You don't make an educated guess or trust your instincts on something as serious as a rape charge. That is just really bad business and no one with any idea of how Public Relations work would say otherwise. 

Unless he somehow clears this up in a day in a half, Conley is on no ones board and will be drafted by no one because that is the RIGHT thing to do. You don't "Bet" on things like this. You only make the decision if you have cold hard FACTS (which would be made available to the public in that instance) that he is 100% not guilty. It's not "he should be knocked down a few rounds" or "I just wouldn't take him in the first", it's that no NFL team should draft him in any round. Period!!!

Really disappointed by some of the posters in here. I don't care how much this "happens all the time and turns out to be false". You don't play around with stuff like this.

Hell yes. He's a top 15 talent in a loaded class for corners who could now be had in the mid RD's. I don't know why nobody's listening to what I've been saying about taking advantage of all this mess. 5-6 1st RD talents???? Yeah as long as they can ball out and don't get in trouble draft em all. Foster,Williams, Conley, Mixon, Brantley, etc. I'm not a fan of Peppers really. Trade down, grab Takk or Harris at the end of the 1st, then Conley, Williams, and Mixon all in RD's 2-4. That's whats up. Team fixed overnight. It'd be like having 3 1st RD picks and 2-3 2nd RD picks. We need an infusion of young talent. Here's our chance. Make it happen CB.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Wow. Not the responses I expected in this topic. You all need to wake up and stop believes that teams passions in Collins was wrong just because he ended up being clear.

You don't make an educated guess or trust your instincts on something as serious as a rape charge. That is just really bad business and no one with any idea of how Public Relations work would say otherwise. 

Unless he somehow clears this up in a day in a half, Conley is on no ones board and will be drafted by no one because that is the RIGHT thing to do. You don't "Bet" on things like this. You only make the decision if you have cold hard FACTS (which would be made available to the public in that instance) that he is 100% not guilty. It's not "he should be knocked down a few rounds" or "I just wouldn't take him in the first", it's that no NFL team should draft him in any round. Period!!!

Really disappointed by some of the posters in here. I don't care how much this "happens all the time and turns out to be false". You don't play around with stuff like this.

First calm down there guy. Second that is such a dramatic take on the situation. No we dont know all the details and NFL GMs probably dont have all the answers either but Conley has a side to this story. If him, his agent, and his lawyer present a strong case that he is innocent I'd be 100% on board if he fell to the 3rd round. No they dont have along time to do it, but for the sake of this kids future they better work over time to be able to provide teams evidence. If they cant then I'm with you, but I personally think from what I've read that this is a money grubbing gold digger. I trust Chris Ballard anyways, he's already proven to me he's a wise man with good judgment and he hasn't even had his first draft yet.

14 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

First calm down there guy. Second that is such a dramatic take on the situation. No we dont know all the details and NFL GMs probably dont have all the answers either but Conley has a side to this story. If him, his agent, and his lawyer present a strong case that he is innocent I'd be 100% on board if he fell to the 3rd round. No they dont have along time to do it, but for the sake of this kids future they better work over time to be able to provide teams evidence. If they cant then I'm with you, but I personally think from what I've read that this is a money grubbing gold digger. I trust Chris Ballard anyways, he's already proven to me he's a wise man with good judgment and he hasn't even had his first draft yet.

The only evidence and cases that matter are the legal ones. His lawyer isn't going to give open case details to teams. No amount of persuasiveness is going to change a team's mind. The only thing that will matter is the factual truth. You don't use judgment on this. You pass until the truth comes out. There are worse things than Conley going undrafted. That's not what's important here.

The rape kit should be finished by the end of the week i think he is gonna drop to day 2, but until the rape kit is analyzed there's ZERO chance that the Colts take him, so i hope he drops to day 3 and the info comes and clean his name and the Colts jump for him but realistically he is gonna go undrafted and he is gonna chose his next team IF he's been cleared.

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The only evidence and cases that matter are the legal ones. His lawyer isn't going to give open case details to teams. No amount of persuasiveness is going to change a team's mind. The only thing that will matter is the factual truth. You don't use judgment on this. You pass until the truth comes out. There are worse things than Conley going undrafted. That's not what's important here.

I'm sorry, what? You DONT use judgment??? Thats just ridiculous. Chris Ballard said it best himself, you dont but the character issue guys in a box and label them all the same. You do your due diligence on all of them and make your own analysis of the situation and the individual prospect. I'd bet CB has his guys working none stop to figure out as many details as possible. If you take this kid off your board completely your passing up on a potential pro bowl talent. Dont tell me there's other corners just as good on day 2 because they're aren't. But blindly making assumptions would be the dumbest thing a team could do

6 minutes ago, Jact.stark said:

The rape kit should be finished by the end of the week i think he is gonna drop to day 2, but until the rape kit is analyzed there's ZERO chance that the Colts take him, so i hope he drops to day 3 and the info comes and clean his name and the Colts jump for him but realistically he is gonna go undrafted and he is gonna chose his next team IF he's been cleared.

What will a rape kit prove if she willingly had sex with him? I do hope more info comes out before the draft, hopefully positive. If it is then there's a great chance the Colt's take him. Chris Ballard is an open minded guy, he will get as much knowledge on the situation as possible and make the right decision.

The Colts should take him off the early board. This will never be settled by the end of the draft.

Last year Ryan Kelly may have been the safe, non-sexy pick, but at least we have him. Unlike Werner or perhaps Dorsett. IMO get a sure thing. In the end it will pay off. If we had a 7th for Conley. perhaps. 7th picks are a long shot to contribute anyway (we don't currently have one). The PR outcry could be defensible by the police not filing a charge. And if there are 2 or 3 witnesses in his favor, maybe that is reason enough. Who knows? Innocent until proven guilty. I guess that still applies.

Just now, Tmoney said:

What will a rape kit prove if she willingly had sex with him? I do hope more info comes out before the draft, hopefully positive. If it is then there's a great chance the Colt's take him. Chris Ballard is an open minded guy, he will get as much knowledge on the situation as possible and make the right decision.

Then he is gonna be staled until the investigation comes to an end.

14 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

What if we get a draft like this? :)

1. Zach Cunningham (ILB)

2. TJ Watt (OLB)

3. Joe Mixon (RB)

4. Jourdan Lewis (CB)

4. Garene Conley (CB)

4. Caleb Brantley (DT)

Switch Cunningham with Foster, move Mixon to the 2nd, take Tim Williams in the 3rd and you have Colts449's dream draft. :D

9 minutes ago, Shive said:

Switch Cunningham with Foster, move Mixon to the 2nd, take Tim Williams in the 3rd and you have Colts449's dream draft. :D

Boy, why is everyone so low on Cunningham? I know there's been concerns over his skinny legs but he's 6'3'' 234 lbs, not really small for an ILB. Can easily gain 5-10 lbs. Very long arms and big hands, very good vertical and broad jump.

And actually has the stats...110 tackles, 20 tfl, 5 pd, etc, etc...an actual legit 3 down ILB ala Derrick Johnson.

Yes but keeping an ear to the ground to hear whatever information can come out right up to the draft.  The man hasn't been found guilty of anything.  But I would watch that situation VERY carefully to any new info. and go with my gut if I were Ballard.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Using a late pick on him won't alter the legal process.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Using a late pick on him won't alter the legal process.

No, and I have one better.  What if the Colts traded down and got say another 3rd round pick.  Would you gamble with that "extra" pick on Conley's innocence?  I would.

5 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

No, and I have one better.  What if the Colts traded down and got say another 3rd round pick.  Would you gamble with that "extra" pick on Conley's innocence?  I would.

If the news I received made the story sound fishy, then yes, I would.