Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chargers To Colts

AZColt11

24 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Don't know if this was posted yet or not, but thought this was awesome.  If already been shared, my apologies, mods please delete.  Thanks!

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/chargers/93119812-132.html

That is pretty awesome, actually. Poor guy doesn't realize Bob Irsay did the same thing back in the day. But I'll take it! lol

51 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

That is pretty awesome, actually. Poor guy doesn't realize Bob Irsay did the same thing back in the day. But I'll take it! lol

I do know the history...but I didn't exactly choose the Colts, the idea was for them to choose me...and the Colts were the only responding team that showed they actually took the time to read my letter, and the being appreciated part is what made the Colts my team.

1 minute ago, Colt Cola said:

I do know the history...but I didn't exactly choose the Colts, the idea was for them to choose me...and the Colts were the only responding team that showed they actually took the time to read my letter, and the being appreciated part is what made the Colts my team.

Excellent. We are glad to have you here, though. Hope you enjoy the forum and Go Colts! 

2 hours ago, Colt Cola said:

Welcome.. we have the best fans I promise. Rumor has it, back in 2007 we were so loud that Tom Brady couldn't communicate with his WR's. They actually thought we "Piped in crowd noise"

A Colts/ Chargers story-

Leigh Steinberg wrote a book called "The Agent" and in it he stated the Colts were set to pick Ryan Leaf over Peyton. Leaf did not want to play for the Colts so his agent told him how to get out of it and go to San Diego where he wanted to play. Leaf was at the combine and there was a meeting set for Leaf and Colts coach Jim Mora. His agent told him to skip the meeting and that would send Mora through the roof. Leaf first cleared this with Chargers GM Bobby Betheard and Betheard agreed. He shipped the meeting. Mora went ballistic. The Colts picked Peyton.

22 minutes ago, King Colt said:

A Colts/ Chargers story-

Leigh Steinberg wrote a book called "The Agent" and in it he stated the Colts were set to pick Ryan Leaf over Peyton. Leaf did not want to play for the Colts so his agent told him how to get out of it and go to San Diego where he wanted to play. Leaf was at the combine and there was a meeting set for Leaf and Colts coach Jim Mora. His agent told him to skip the meeting and that would send Mora through the roof. Leaf first cleared this with Chargers GM Bobby Betheard and Betheard agreed. He shipped the meeting. Mora went ballistic. The Colts picked Peyton.

I don't buy that story at all

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't buy that story at all

his agent came out and said this story was true long after the fact

doesnt make it 100% but i think its plausible.  they made it sound like it was more about not wanting to live in indiana than the colts themselves

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

his agent came out and said this story was true long after the fact

doesnt make it 100% but i think its plausible.  they made it sound like it was more about not wanting to live in indiana than the colts themselves

Bill polian has said Manning was always going to be the choice

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

As I brought up on another Thread, Peyton would be my #1 pick in an ALL-TIME Draft if we ever had one in here. I think he could carry an expansion team better than Montana or Brady. I would take Jim Brown #2, and Lawrence Taylor 3rd going by different positons. Taylor is the best Rusher of all-time IMO and Brown was Eric Dickerson in his day but a tougher Runner physically. Anyway back on topic, pretty cool story from Colt Cola. Nice Thread.

5 hours ago, Colt Cola said:

Welcome aboard! Your Chargers broke our hearts a couple times too so I'm glad we joined forces. Enjoy the ride....we hope it lasts until Feb.

I have been a Colt's fan for 20 years.  They never gave me anything free...  

My son's birthday is the day we play the Cardinals at home.  He will be 9 and has never been to a game.  I have never been to a game where I didn't sit way up top.   I looked up tickets and I cannot afford decent seats.  I want to sit as close to the field as possible to give my boys the best Colt's football experience possible.

Can I have free lower section tickets for my 2 sons, wife, and I?    

Can't blame a guy for trying... lol

33 minutes ago, Kyle said:

My son's birthday is the day we play the Cardinals at home.  He will be 9 and has never been to a game.  I have never been to a game where I didn't sit way up top.   I looked up tickets and I cannot afford decent seats.  I want to sit as close to the field as possible to give my boys the best Colt's football experience possible.

Write them a letter, they spent $12 on shipping and i got a drawstring backpack and last years Team Yearbook with my letter back. Not sure how much the Colts normally charge, but the Chargers Yearbooks normally went for around $10. Worst thing that could happen is you lose 37 cents for the stamp.

55 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I got a full packet of stuff including a team picture, Eric Dickerson autographed picture and a set of his game worn armbands

20 minutes ago, Colt Cola said:

Write them a letter, they spent $12 on shipping and i got a drawstring backpack and last years Team Yearbook with my letter back. Not sure how much the Colts normally charge, but the Chargers Yearbooks normally went for around $10. Worst thing that could happen is you lose 37 cents for the stamp.

The Colts yearbooks cost about $10

Hey Colt Cola, nice to have you aboard man!  You picked the right team.  With Luck, and now Ballard making personnel moves, this team should be right there challenging for AFC supremacy within a couple of years IMHO.  Enjoy the ride!

EDIT:  Hey true story, I used to live in Phoenix back in Peyton's early years (the the "AZ" in my handle).  My wife was preggo but the Colts were playing in San Diego in '99 and NO WAY was I gonna miss that!  So we drove the 5 hours and made the game.  Saw Peyton throw for his first NFL 400+ yard game.  And of course the Colts came out on top in a close one.  Never forget that game, the weather was of course picture perfect.

27 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

That was a pretty cool idea. Seems to me a natural Colts fan, he didn't want no part of Patriots fandom

Patriots did some serious damage to some great Chargers teams. AFCCG in 2008 when Rivers played on a torn ACL, and the year before when Marlon McCree picked off Brady to all but seal a victory only to fumble it away 3 seconds later... Still get Nightmares.

Hopefully I can witness Our Colts raising that Lombardi in the near future

On 4/25/2017 at 11:08 AM, Colt Cola said:

Just watched the video Welcome Tom cool story we 're glad to have ya . 

On 2017-4-25 at 4:08 PM, Colt Cola said:

Well we're all glad you got chosen by the colts! Welcome to the family, we'll consider you the 254th pick in the draft :)

On 4/25/2017 at 2:23 PM, jvan1973 said:

Essentially, but more to it-

It should be noted that, 16 years later, Steinberg wrote in his book, "The Agent", that he suggested to Ryan to intentionally skip his meeting with us in order to discourage us from selecting him, thus allowing him to go to where Leigh said he preferred to play: San Diego.

Leigh also wrote that he cleared the idea with Bobby Beathard so the Chargers' GM wouldn't question Ryan's reliability, and added that Bobby "went along with the ruse." I seriously doubt that, because of my conversation with Bobby in the parking lot of Martin Stadium. Bobby, of course, has subsequently said that he was never approached or involved in any discussions designed to bring Ryan to the Chargers.

"Now, you know Ryan," Jim Mora said, "May 10th is the day that you can come in to work out with us, and if we draft you, we expect you there."

"Well, Coach, I can't make it," Ryan said.

Everybody's head snapped back, and that included Coach Price, who I am sure was not aware of anything that would keep his former quarterback from being on time for his first NFL practice.

"Why not?" Jim asked.

"My buddies and I have planned a trip for a year to Las Vegas, and we have to go on this trip. It's kind of a celebration of the draft and everything, and I will be in probably around the 15th of May."

That wasn't the answer any of us wanted to hear."

snip .......

"The closer we got to the draft, the louder the "noise"-- opinions from draft media analysts far and wide -- became, until it reached a crescendo. You were hearing all of the negatives about Peyton Manning: "He's a product of the system...He's not a good athlete ... He has a weak arm ... He can't win the big one." On the contrary, you were hearing nothing but accolades for Ryan Leaf: "He's a natural thrower ... He has a cannon arm ... He can make people miss when he runs ... He's the second coming of Roger Staubach."

Tom put Peyton through the arm-strength drill, and his pass to the 50-yard line was on a rope. Peyton's arm was among the strongest I have seen. It maybe was not quite as strong as Jim Kelly's, but certainly strong enough.

Snip....

Peyton had a slam-dunk workout, as good as you could have. Not that workouts are everything, but that one served as fairly solid evidence that all of the perceived negatives -- that he was a bad athlete, that he had a weak arm, etc. -- were untrue.

Naturally, Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee's football coach at the time, told us nothing but the most glowing things about Peyton. He said Peyton was as prepared as any coach when the Volunteers did their game planning, that he knew as much about the upcoming opponent as any coach, that he studied film voraciously. Phillip gave us a verbal picture of what we would literally see from Peyton Manning for the next 14 years.

snip

Ryan went through all of the standard throwing drills and did okay, not great. I remember turning to Tom Moore and saying, "His arm is not as strong as Peyton's."

"I think you're right," Tom said.

Ryan didn't drive the ball quite as well as Peyton did, which, frankly, was what showed up on tape and put the lie to this idea that there was this huge gulf physically between them.

Snip...

Excerpts from Bill Polians book.  Catch all of the excerpts here-

"http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11654158/manning-leaf-1998-draft

Great story..

On 4/25/2017 at 11:08 AM, Colt Cola said:

Welcome to the forum!!

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Colt Cola said:

That's great to hear man. I myself have emailed them with things before; ways to surprise my wife before I left for a year was one.  They really took the time to talk to me and help me out and I was able to get pre-game field passes to watch them practice. They provided it free of charge even though I offered to pay whatever the cost. 

This community is quite helpful and caring as well. Well, except maybe not for the pats fans...jk.

But glad you're aboard and hope our team can deliver a great season for a new fan. 

@Colt Cola

Out of curiosity, if the Chargers and Colts both make the playoffs and face each other this season, who would you honestly be rooting for? Have the owners completely ruined the franchise for you, or does a little bit of Bolt loyalty still remain?

Not trying to out you or anything, just genuinely curious as to how badly their owners have damaged your perception of the team.

I would be interested to see what ColtCola thinks of the Colts draft, or if he is in a position as of yet to draw any conclusions.  I would guess he's still trying to learn names on the current roster?  Not guys like Luck and Hilton and Gore of course, but some of the lesser-known guys, which are many to non-Colts fans.

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

@Colt Cola

Out of curiosity, if the Chargers and Colts both make the playoffs and face each other this season, who would you honestly be rooting for? Have the owners completely ruined the franchise for you, or does a little bit of Bolt loyalty still remain?

Not trying to out you or anything, just genuinely curious as to how badly their owners have damaged your perception of the team.

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I would be interested to see what ColtCola thinks of the Colts draft, or if he is in a position as of yet to draw any conclusions.  I would guess he's still trying to learn names on the current roster?  Not guys like Luck and Hilton and Gore of course, but some of the lesser-known guys, which are many to non-Colts fans.

I will always have love for Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates and I won't deny that it is going to be tough not to root for them. but the owner destroyed all chances of me pulling for the organization to flourish. Growing up in San Diego, I have a general hatred towards the city of Los Angeles that was bred into me. Outside of California, most people don't realize the difference between LA and SD, but think of it like Yankees fans having their team move to Boston and still cheering for them.

It is tough trying to learn the players on the Colts outside of the obvious ones, although I do like Doyle from what little I did see of him last year. My dad is actually a huge Ohio State fan, so I saw a lot of Malik Hooker last year, and I am really excited to watch him in the NFL. But if a Colts Chargers playoff game happens you can bet 100% i will be Colts all the way.

51 minutes ago, Colt Cola said:

I will always have love for Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates and I won't deny that it is going to be tough not to root for them. but the owner destroyed all chances of me pulling for the organization to flourish. Growing up in San Diego, I have a general hatred towards the city of Los Angeles that was bred into me. Outside of California, most people don't realize the difference between LA and SD, but think of it like Yankees fans having their team move to Boston and still cheering for them.

It is tough trying to learn the players on the Colts outside of the obvious ones, although I do like Doyle from what little I did see of him last year. My dad is actually a huge Ohio State fan, so I saw a lot of Malik Hooker last year, and I am really excited to watch him in the NFL. But if a Colts Chargers playoff game happens you can bet 100% i will be Colts all the way.

Well... who knows what will happen in training camp, but I would say you should watch out for these names:

- Donte Moncrief (big contact year for him coming up, needs to stay healthy though)

- Chester Rogers (not a constant playmaker, but made some seriously clutch plays for us last year when we damned well needed them)
- Eric Swoope (TE who came into the NFL from College basketball having never played a down of football in his life, emerged last year as a pass catching threat - averaged 19.8 yards per catch)

- Edwin Jackson (aka poundcake) - tough downhill linebacker, likes a big tackle... it'll be hard not to notice him.

- Henry Anderson (if healthy). - Had an outstanding rookie season until an ACL derailed it. Was on track to compete for DROY. 

21 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Well... who knows what will happen in training camp, but I would say you should watch out for these names:

- Donte Moncrief (big contact year for him coming up, needs to stay healthy though)

- Chester Rogers (not a constant playmaker, but made some seriously clutch plays for us last year when we damned well needed them)
- Eric Swoope (TE who came into the NFL from College basketball having never played a down of football in his life, emerged last year as a pass catching threat - averaged 19.8 yards per catch)

- Edwin Jackson (aka poundcake) - tough downhill linebacker, likes a big tackle... it'll be hard not to notice him.

- Henry Anderson (if healthy). - Had an outstanding rookie season until an ACL derailed it. Was on track to compete for DROY. 

What position does Anderson play?

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't know if the agent's story is true but I do know I was on the Indystar forum at the time and a lot of posters (close enough to 50%) wanted the Colts to draft Leaf over Manning because Leaf had more "upside".

So then close enough to 50 also wanted manning.  Seems like an even split.