Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints working on deal for AP

RockThatBlue

37 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

It'll be interesting to see how he does in an offense with an actual quarterback, but I thought he'd be more interesting in signing with a contender to win a championship.

I think hes about done. Looked horrible when he came back from injury last year.

40 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

It'll be interesting to see how he does in an offense with an actual quarterback, but I thought he'd be more interesting in signing with a contender to win a championship.

I really don't think there is a lot of teams that are that serious about signing AP. IMO The general consensus is he is done but no one wants to come out and say it.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I really don't think there is a lot of teams that are that serious about signing AP. IMO The general consensus is he is done but no one wants to come out and say it.

His legal troubles from a few years back probably didn't help him on the market much either

4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I think hes about done. Looked horrible when he came back from injury last year.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree.  With all the wear and tear he has, I think he's in the final stages of his career.  At the same time, you'd think a contender with a need for a running back (Green Bay?) would be willing to sign him and give him 100-150 carries over the season

MNF week 1 is Saints at Vikings too. lmao This will be fun now.

I think AP is close to done myself but maybe Brees/Payton can spark him again, no idea. Also it's not overly expensive IMO so they are not breaking the bank.

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

He just came back at the worst time last year to face the Colts power house defense.

We DESTROYED the Vikings. I mean that was pretty fun. lmao 

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Still think he is near the end of the road

He probably is, but for the Saints I think they are trying to find some things that might work too since they don't know how long they will have Brees still playing at a high level as well. 

Bigger concern for New Orleans though is getting that defense (and special teams) to a level that is even "just average" other then "pure garbage".

3 minutes ago, Jules said:

He probably is, but for the Saints I think they are trying to find some things that might work too since they don't know how long they will have Brees still playing at a high level as well. 

Bigger concern for New Orleans though is getting that defense (and special teams) to a level that is even "just average" other then "pure garbage".

If I was a Saint fan I would be worried about his price tag

I don't think it's a good place for him. If it wasn't about the money, then I'm not sure why he chose New Orleans. Maybe Drew Brees? Maybe just to be in Louisiana? Who knows. But that team doesn't have a chance at a championship in my opinion.

Maybe he wanted to play another season, and NE was the only team interested. Sometimes they have to take what they can get or be out of football. it could have been that kind of situation.

On the other hand, it would be neat if AP got 1000 yards this season. He seems to be near the end of his career, but who knows how it will work out.

30 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I don't think it's a good place for him. If it wasn't about the money, then I'm not sure why he chose New Orleans. Maybe Drew Brees? Maybe just to be in Louisiana? Who knows. But that team doesn't have a chance at a championship in my opinion.

He said his family was involved in the choice, which usually means a team in the South (Florida, California, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, or whatever state the player originates from) gets the nod, even if it means less money.  His family was probably sick of the northern winters, and any team north of the Mason-Dixon got left out in the cold... :console:

At least he didn't go to a team in the AFC South.  I doubt there's much left, but I don't want to see what's left in the tank against the Colts D.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

He said his family was involved in the choice, which usually means a team in the South (Florida, California, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, or whatever state the player originates from) gets the nod, even if it means less money.  His family was probably sick of the northern winters, and any team north of the Mason-Dixon got left out in the cold... :console:

At least he didn't go to a team in the AFC South.  I doubt there's much left, but I don't want to see what's left in the tank against the Colts D.

I always thought it was a bit funny to me. Professional athletes not wanting to live in an area where it gets cold in the Winter. That was kinda my point I guess, he wanted to be in Louisiana. 

I read he took a team-friendly deal making less money than Mark Ingram to be Mark Ingrams' backup. $7M over 2 years, $3.5M guaranteed.

He is going to make less than Frank Gore.

If he had taken that deal to be Frank Gores' backup, I would still want a dynamic RB in the draft that can be a passing game RB, but Gore, Peterson, and Turbin...  That's a pretty good stable of RBs for the run-game.

17 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If I was a Saint fan I would be worried about his price tag

7 mill for 2 years isn't that bad. We got him cheap.

Ingram is the premier back with this team. Peterson will probably not be used as much as Ingram. Saints needed a replacement for Hightower who just left. 

7 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Maybe he wanted to play another season, and NE was the only team interested. Sometimes they have to take what they can get or be out of football. it could have been that kind of situation.

On the other hand, it would be neat if AP got 1000 yards this season. He seems to be near the end of his career, but who knows how it will work out.

Probably won't happen in the Saints system. We use Ingram on the ground for primary running. I think Peterson will fill the role that Hightower had the previous few seasons. The Saints like to use an additional running back for a one-two punch run in games and creating mismatches. They've been doing this for years, going back to when they had Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas together. 

I expect to see Peterson taking a lot of screen passes and probably for short yardage situations. Unless Ingram gets hurt (which is likely), I don't expect to see Peterson becoming the feature back. 

14 hours ago, Jules said:

Knew the Butler deal wasn't going to happen. Many are disappointed but I had a feeling we were not getting him after trading Cooks. 

I like the Peterson signing for one reason. It gives the Vikings something else to cry about with the Saints besides this -

Image result for deuce mcallister nfc championship

lmao