Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Pauline: Colts interested in Jarrad Davis, they have him ranked as a top 20 prospect

Colts interested in Florida ILB Jarrad Davis according to Tony Pauline:

http://draftanalyst.com/da-draft-buzz-monday-notes-draft-week

During last Friday’s edition of the DA Draft Buzz, I noted that two teams both grade Florida’s Jarrad Davis as a first-round pick. On Sunday I learned a few teams stamp the linebacker as a top 20-prospect and feel that he’ll be gone by the middle of Round 1.

The teams I’m hearing that are interested in Davis include the Indianapolis Colts and Washington Redskins.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that bad of a reach.  His value is probably mid 20s.  I don't remember his exact words, but recently Ballard was basically saying the draft is too much of a crapshoot to let ~10 slots in perceived value prevent you from taking a guy you like for your team.

1 hour ago, bananabucket said:

It's not that bad of a reach.  His value is probably mid 20s.  I don't remember his exact words, but recently Ballard was basically saying the draft is too much of a crapshoot to let ~10 slots in perceived value prevent you from taking a guy you like for your team.

I didn't take his statement literally. I think he means 'if we have to reach 5-10 spots past some RBs and QBs and other positions that we don't see as valuable, we're okay with that.' That's my own interpretation, of course.

And me saying it would be a reach is based on my projection of how the board will shape out, and how I have the players ordered. I have Davis in the 30ish range, and I see a good 5-10 players being available that I would rather draft. Of course, I could be totally wrong about how the board falls, and my player rankings are entirely subjective and based on limited information.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Jarrad Davis late in the first is acceptable. At #15, it's a serious reach.

I agree I'd like to have him but see him around the 20 mark. At 15 I think there would be someone with a higher grade (like a noticeable higher grade) to take ahead of him. I do think he is definite first rd talent and while I'd prefer to move back to take him its kinda like the Kelly situation last year. You like the guy...you feel he is the right player the right fit to be special for you...then you just pull the trigger and don't get cute. No doubt he would be a starter for us and likely one the special players at his position. Doesn't really matter what we feel about him..the staff may see him differently I suppose and I don't think its out of the question. He is my 2nd ranked pure MLB in the draft and I don't think the guy is going to make it past Oakland or KC likely so if we want him we have to take him.

1 hour ago, bananabucket said:

No doubt he should be available later in rd one to fit our GM`s hopeful trade back scenario.

I hope our guy is a pass rusher or CB in round one, but a really good LB is Valuable too.
  Go Ballard!  Go Colts!   :applause:

Jarrad Davis late in the first is acceptable. At #15, it's a serious reach.

How so? He's tested around the same level as Reddick as his pro day, can cover, play the run, and is a good leader. The only knock on him is health. But he's been healthy since his pro day.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

How so? He's tested around the same level as Reddick as his pro day, can cover, play the run, and is a good leader. The only knock on him is health. But he's been healthy since his pro day.

He hasn't played football since his pro day.

I'm not worried about his testing. I'm not knocking him, he's a very good prospect, so I'm not going to pick him apart. I just have him at around #30 (maybe a little higher, since I have Foster and Peppers ahead of him, and both might be off the board at this point), and feel like the best way to maximize the value of the pick #15 is not to take him that high. Again, even if we can't trade back, I can think of several players I'd rather draft.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not worried about his testing. I'm not knocking him, he's a very good prospect, so I'm not going to pick him apart. I just have him at around #30 (maybe a little higher, since I have Foster and Peppers ahead of him, and both might be off the board at this point), and feel like the best way to maximize the value of the pick #15 is not to take him that high. Again, even if we can't trade back, I can think of several players I'd rather draft.

I have him a little higher than you but certainly not at 15. I had him in the 20-25 range so nothing drastic. I really think he is a really good player. I don't know if I would say special but then again I'm not a scout and the difference between really good and great is a fine line. I have heard he has EXCELLENT leadership skills and I LOVE that in a LB as I feel like they are the ones that get everyone in the right spot up front and usually take the calls in (qb of defense). So if the Colts see him as special then who am I to argue. He may very well be the 30th talented player hard for me to say but I very much doubt he is the 30th player taken off the board considering the LB needy teams that make up the middle portion of the first rd. So I don't see it as a huge reach but I like you really really feel like there will be one of those special transcendent players for us at 15 this year. Maybe a guy like Barnett for example or perhaps one of the safeties or top corners fall to us. Thus I think it is a long shot he is the bpa left on the board at our pick but that all comes down to grading...and I won't argue too much if we have him graded high enough to take...as long as he plays like a star.

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not even an NFL caliber practice, scrimmage or anything along those lines. Not to mention the fact that their pro day was less than a month ago. Not exactly proof that hes kicked the injury bug lol. I'm thinking that might have been a typo. :D

59 minutes ago, Superman said:

You have Peppers over Davis? How?!? I'm flabbergasted 

7 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

At SS? What stands out about him, to you?

He's a movable piece, not just a SS. I think he can play high and low, and I think he can play slot in the right situation, and I think he can be a hybrid ILB in passing situations if you want to zone him up. He's a dynamic player who flies to the ball, he impacts plays, and he finishes well. I think he has Polamalu potential. Definitely raw in man coverage, and needs to read better from high safety, but I think he has high level traits and a very high ceiling.

Davis is the kind of player the Colts would love to have, very classy, well spoken.

I just don't know if they love him at 15.  He's more a 'top of the second round' guy.  But if they think he's a day one starter and BPA, go for it.  

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's a movable piece, not just a SS. I think he can play high and low, and I think he can play slot in the right situation, and I think he can be a hybrid ILB in passing situations if you want to zone him up. He's a dynamic player who flies to the ball, he impacts plays, and he finishes well. I think he has Polamalu potential. Definitely raw in man coverage, and needs to read better from high safety, but I think he has high level traits and a very high ceiling.

Fair enough. Where do you rank him compared to Obi-won? They'd both be getting drafted for their traits and potential/high ceiling. 

57 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I have him a little higher than you but certainly not at 15. I had him in the 20-25 range so nothing drastic. I really think he is a really good player. I don't know if I would say special but then again I'm not a scout and the difference between really good and great is a fine line. I have heard he has EXCELLENT leadership skills and I LOVE that in a LB as I feel like they are the ones that get everyone in the right spot up front and usually take the calls in (qb of defense). So if the Colts see him as special then who am I to argue. He may very well be the 30th talented player hard for me to say but I very much doubt he is the 30th player taken off the board considering the LB needy teams that make up the middle portion of the first rd. So I don't see it as a huge reach but I like you really really feel like there will be one of those special transcendent players for us at 15 this year. Maybe a guy like Barnett for example or perhaps one of the safeties or top corners fall to us. Thus I think it is a long shot he is the bpa left on the board at our pick but that all comes down to grading...and I won't argue too much if we have him graded high enough to take...as long as he plays like a star.

If it's just rankings than I understand. I don't know if I have a numerical ranking for him but I think he has just as much superstar potential as Foster and Reddick.  And medically he's a safer bet than Foster. I don't think any of Davis' injuries were major or even needed surgery. I think he's a fine pick at 15. 

5 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Fair enough. Where do you rank him compared to Obi-won? They'd both be getting drafted for their traits and potential/high ceiling. 

They are completely different players, different traits, different film. I see Obi as a Kam Chancellor wanna-be, at best, only good in the box and a liability anywhere else, and I think his ceiling is much lower than Peppers. He is a Day 2 prospect, and I think he'll be overdrafted due to his Combine.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

They are completely different players, different traits, different film. I see Obi as a Kam Chancellor wanna-be, at best, only good in the box and a liability anywhere else, and I think his ceiling is much lower than Peppers. He is a Day 2 prospect, and I think he'll be overdrafted due to his Combine.

Most of his highlight plays weren't even in the box. And his man coverage is much better. Peppers does hit harder than him though, which is crazy. I think they're both day 2 prospects. 

So I Like Jarrad Davis and I think it doesn't matter if it's at 15 or 25 if you think the guy is a really good player and fits your team you take him.  

On another note....I have a real strong feeling about Obi Melinifou from UConn.  I think that guy could be a beast and a Hybrid like Geathers.   6'4 4.38 40   41 inch vertical and you could use him in that Hybrid Lb slash Safety role.   He's 225 so he has some size to him....

IMO the only reason Davis ismt viewed as a top 15 pick is because he missed several games and the combine so he is not as fresh in everyone's mind as Reddick. He put up near identical numbers to Reddick plus he has 2 years of legitimate tape playing ILB in the SEC. IMO he's a much safer ILB prospect than Reddick, and I like Reddick. Reddick may be more versatile but his value is based more on projection. 

I like Peppers but I'm not sure I trust our team to utilize him in the manner he would best benefit a team. Is it just me or is this staff's schemes and play calling pure vanilla? Guys like Peppers and McCaffery I just don't trust us to get the most out of them. It's actually a reason I've started to shy away recently from Reddick. Don't get me wrong those 3 guys are some of my favorite in this draft but what makes them special would be their versatility and I don't see our staff being imaginative enough to maximize their potential. Like Reddick could play inside but also should be used to blitz or lineup on the outside and let him come off the edge from time to time. Guess that's why I'm shying away now from these type of guys and would understand why we might take a more traditional thumping lb.

25 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

IMO the only reason Davis ismt viewed as a top 15 pick is because he missed several games and the combine so he is not as fresh in everyone's mind as Reddick. He put up near identical numbers to Reddick plus he has 2 years of legitimate tape playing ILB in the SEC. IMO he's a much safer ILB prospect than Reddick, and I like Reddick. Reddick may be more versatile but his value is based more on projection. 

I agree. His play speaks for itself and his workout backs up his tape. What I like about Reddick is his versatility and ability to get after the passer and be used in a more attacking way along with using him in a more traditional ilb way as well. That said I guess I doubt our staffs ability to game plan and scheme and utilize that type of player that could be used all over the field and thus perhaps a thumping athletic MLB like Foster or Davis might be an overall better fit.

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

You have Peppers over Davis? How?!? I'm flabbergasted 

You think Superman is alone in having Peppers over Davis?        What's to be flabbergasted about?     The difference between them might only be 5-15 picks one way or the other.     I doubt there's much separation between them one way or the other.

I think you're stuck on the idea that everyone is seeing the same thing the same way.     They don't.    Not even close.

I think you're not allowing for the fact that teams ask their players to do different things than other teams.    

If you could look at the 32 different Big Boards,  you'd see 32 completely different lists.    And it would be shocking how different the lists are.     I think we're all guilty of that type of thinking.     I am, Superman is and every other poster is.     It's the nature of ranking players.     There are just too many factors in play.....

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I like Peppers but I'm not sure I trust our team to utilize him in the manner he would best benefit a team. Is it just me or is this staff's schemes and play calling pure vanilla? Guys like Peppers and McCaffery I just don't trust us to get the most out of them. It's actually a reason I've started to shy away recently from Reddick. Don't get me wrong those 3 guys are some of my favorite in this draft but what makes them special would be their versatility and I don't see our staff being imaginative enough to maximize their potential. Like Reddick could play inside but also should be used to blitz or lineup on the outside and let him come off the edge from time to time. Guess that's why I'm shying away now from these type of guys and would understand why we might take a more traditional thumping lb.

I don't trust our staff to properly utilize certain players. I'd be more concerned about Peppers than Reddick, though. They've moved players inside and out before, like McNary for instance, and I expect that that have something similar in mind for Mingo already.