Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texan's GM Content With Savage As QB

King Colt

VP & GM Rick Smith said recently with a chuckle in mid-sentence the Texans are in no rush to get another QB. They now have only two. Smith has been in his position for eleven years now and never had a QB. It's hard to buy in to the lack of urgency for a QB with their defense now primed and ready to do it's part to get to a SB. JJ Watt is 28 nd has a lousy back. No rational person believes Cutler or Kaepernick will be the answer for this team. Why Rick Smith is still there is a mystery Granted, Savage can't be judged yet as to his potential but so far he is not viewed as the type of QB that can lead the team to the SB.

This mindset that being mediocre at QB is OK is why the Texans will never make it past the second round of the playoffs, how they are wasting a once in a generation defensive talent, a perennial top 5 defense, and will also be the part of the reason the Colts will retake the division under Ballards guidance.

There is no QB in this draft that can step in and lead the Texans to the promised land this year.  Next years collection of QB's could give many a QB starved team a much better QB that grows into the position quicker than this years crop.

Not saying the QB group this year doesn't have ability, it is just that the ceiling is lower than typical and learning curve ias steeper and longer than typical.  Some of these guys really needed a nother year in college, and others need seat time in the NFL before being trundled out there.

Savage is likely better than any draftee this year, by a good margin.  Maybe the Texans convince the Bengals to part with A.J. McCarron.  He's much better than any QB in the draft this year.

58 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is why they will never win anything. Lucky for us.

-As in anything big like going to a Title Game or a SB/winning a SB.

Whats amazing is if they just found an average QB they would be contenders in the AFC almost every year. If they had an Alex Smith type QB they would win 10-11 games almost every year. They have an elite defense, they just always pick horrible QBs

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Whats amazing is if they just found an average QB they would be contenders in the AFC almost every year. If they had an Alex Smith type QB they would win 10-11 games almost every year. They have an elite defense, they just always pick horrible QBs

I know, it's insane isn't it haha. I have a feeling we can retake the Division but we need our defense to step up.

They just know that when they don't have a good QB they nail the Colts more easily. 

Okay in all seriousness, I don't follow the draft prospects closely (outside of when we got Luck, heh) but most are saying there won't be a great QB to find in this draft anyway.

Savage wasn't too bad at times for them........nothing great but not bad. I kinda wish they had him instead now at QB when they went to NE in the playoffs but he was hurt I think.

22 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Could just be GM-speak.  I think he's smart enough to know the strengths and weaknesses of his roster, and I highly doubt he's going to just come out and tell everyone who he's targeting.

This is obviously GM speak.

Listen the Texans didn't send a 2nd rounder to the Browns for them to take Brock Osweiller's guaranteed salary off their hands for no reason.  They did it because they thought they where gonna get Tony Romo.

They want a QB, they just arn't sure where to get one.  I get the feeling they don't believe in any of the guys in the draft that they could see getting their hands on.  Their free agent plan for Romo fell through.  

On 4/24/2017 at 6:06 AM, King Colt said:

VP & GM Rick Smith said recently with a chuckle in mid-sentence the Texans are in no rush to get another QB. They now have only two. Smith has been in his position for eleven years now and never had a QB. It's hard to buy in to the lack of urgency for a QB with their defense now primed and ready to do it's part to get to a SB. JJ Watt is 28 nd has a lousy back. No rational person believes Cutler or Kaepernick will be the answer for this team. Why Rick Smith is still there is a mystery Granted, Savage can't be judged yet as to his potential but so far he is not viewed as the type of QB that can lead the team to the SB.

Lies. They will take a qb this year. They need two at least for camp but they are going to take a qb.

Also is it just me or is rick smith like the Jeff fisher of GMs. Has one big hit and a lot of mediocrity....does just enough to stay around. I think the Texans could do better...but glad they won't.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:06 AM, King Colt said:

Lets see if they say that after the draft..

Might be a good idea to pay absolutely no attention to what GMs say BEFORE the draft

I get the feeling Houston tries to look for a quick fix at QB, and they were probably banking on getting Romo some how before his retirement. Team is probably better off with Savage or another young guy they can try to mold as a QB. Brock was clearly not the answer at this point and nor was Hoyer in the past. 

Yesterday there was more rattling about Cutler and Kaepernick. Not that I have any sympathy for Houston but if they are so sorry that their attention is now reduced to those two I feel sad for the long suffering fans here over one position the Texans just can't seem to fill. A solid defense wasted on a blank offense.    

On 4/24/2017 at 11:31 AM, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Until the Colts can beat them, I don't think it matters who the QB is.  The Texans have beat them 3 times in a row now, 2 times in Indy.

Is their goal just to beat .500 level Colts teams' during the regular season, or do they actually want to advance in the playoffs?

3 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

True, it seems like the past few years, their goal was just to win the South. 

Not really. Winning the South was obviously a big step, considering how things have gone for many years in the past, but any team that makes the playoffs has SB aspirations, regardless of who they are or who their QB is. 

16 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

Not really. Winning the South was obviously a big step, considering how things have gone for many years in the past, but any team that makes the playoffs has SB aspirations, regardless of who they are or who their QB is. 

I think the Texans were set on beating the Colts the past few years to win the South.  That's just my opinion.  I am glad(as a Colts fan) that the QB situation isn't figured out but if they had an average or above average veteran QB, they'd be awful scary. 

25 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I think the Texans were set on beating the Colts the past few years to win the South.  That's just my opinion.  I am glad(as a Colts fan) that the QB situation isn't figured out but if they had an average or above average veteran QB, they'd be awful scary. 

Of course, the Colts were the team to beat. It was bad enough we have Andrew to worry about, but now there's Mariota and even the Titans are getting better. Hopefully whatever QB we go with can help include us in that much improved conversation. 

1 hour ago, Qwiz said:

Of course, the Colts were the team to beat. It was bad enough we have Andrew to worry about, but now there's Mariota and even the Titans are getting better. Hopefully whatever QB we go with can help include us in that much improved conversation. 

Titans should be tough for years to come.  They stocked up on draft picks and young players.  The division is slowly getting better.  On paper the Jags have all kinds of talent too, it just doesn't always work out that way on the field, the Jags are the Jags lol. 

I knew that GM comment was a smokescreen. The Texans are in desperation mode. You don't trade up in the 1st round if you're "content" with Tom Savage. Nah, the truth is they think Savage is garbage.

Anyways, QB's need a year to develop, so if they're thinking about starting him, they're screwed, and if they start Savage, they're screwed.

3 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I knew that GM comment was a smokescreen. The Texans are in desperation mode. You don't trade up in the 1st round if you're "content" with Tom Savage. Nah, the truth is they think Savage is garbage.

Anyways, QB's need a year to develop, so if they're thinking about starting him, they're screwed, and if they start Savage, they're screwed.

It can't be stated enough, but when you consider what they gave Cleveland both to be rid of Ossweiler's contract, and to move up to take Watson, they have given their 1st and their 2nd round pick next year for this kid. It's fair to say that Rick Smith has leveraged the entire Texans' future on Watson being the guy, as they basically don't have a draft in 2018 because of it.

This has to work, or Rick Smith has to go.