Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Espn....ugh

cmgww

Watching the highlights....and here come the excuses for why it wasn't Brady's fault....it was all the drops by his WRs, Gronk being hobbled....blah blah. Sure some of that is completely legit, Brady wasn't totally to blame....but the BSPN boys are trying SO HARD to pin this loss on anyone but Tom Terrific. It just gets...so

..old!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the highlights....and here come the excuses for why it wasn't Brady's fault....it was all the drops by his WRs, Gronk being hobbled....blah blah. Sure some of that is completely legit, Brady wasn't totally to blame....but the BSPN boys are trying SO HARD to pin this loss on anyone but Tom Terrific. It just gets...so

..old!

In fairness when your QB sets the new Super Bowl record for most straight complations and throws two TD passes it's hard to put it all on his shoulders. Frankly I think Brady's shoulder getting whacked did him in. He wasn't the same after that and I wonder had it not been a Super Bowl if that might have knocked Brady out of the game. I also think that reawoke him to the Giants pass rush and those guys are in Brady's head big time.

What they're saying is true though. If Welker catches that ball (which hit both of his hands), the Pats likely win. If Gronk isn't hobbled, that changes the Pats offensive gameplan and the Blackburn pick probably doesn't happen. Doesn't matter though, the game is over

Yep that drop by Welker is going to haunt him forever. Collinsworth was right that is a catch he makes 100 out of 100 times.

In fairness when your QB sets the new Super Bowl record for most straight complations and throws two TD passes it's hard to put it all on his shoulders. Frankly I think Brady's shoulder getting whacked did him in. He wasn't the same after that and I wonder had it not been a Super Bowl if that might have knocked Brady out of the game. I also think that reawoke him to the Giants pass rush and those guys are in Brady's head big time.

This pretty much sums up my view too. You can't blame them for blaming people other than Brady considering Brady made very few mistakes.

That was a very questionable call. How can anyone say that one of the receivers didn't run the wrong route or broke off their route early instead of going deep.

He was throwing it away to avoid the sack it wasn't questionable at all just like it wasn't questionable when Eli got hit for the same call vs. the Falcons earlier in the playoffs. Like the said on the broadcast it's being in the endzone combined with the pressure that drew the flag.

That was a very questionable call. How can anyone say that one of the receivers didn't run the wrong route or broke off their route early instead of going deep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-7ige38TUU

that is not a questionable call. He had close to five seconds in the pocket. Not one receiver was within 20 yards. I think that was just his ignorance of the rules.

yes but the media burns peyton unlike brady

Can't really argue with that. ESPN are New Englanders so they are practically Pats fans. They are not going to crucify their guy. All fans will defend their own. But they have no qualms about putting our man on a shish kabob stake. lol Journalism at its best.

that is not a questionable call. He had close to five seconds in the pocket. Not one receiver was within 20 yards. I think that was just his ignorance of the rules.

Not ingoring the rule in that situation it's better to just throw the ball away and hope you don't get he flag for a safty than just take the sack. You never know the ref might not throw the flag. It took a conference to get the flag to come out.

Boy you got that wrong.

He had a choice of taking a safety or trying to get away with a clever throw-away (grounding). I thought that was actually very smart of him once I gave it some thought. I've seen that called before. A great call by the refs and a smart, sly, split-second decision by Brady to attempt to avoid the safety.

Boy you got that wrong.

He had a choice of taking a safety or trying to get away with a clever throw-away (grounding). I thought that was actually very smart of him once I gave it some thought. I've seen that called before. A great call by the refs and a smart, sly, split-second decision by Brady to attempt to avoid the safety.

He could of rolled out. He just doesn't want to even when he has to.

Like Peyton Brady is not good on the move. Look at him late in the game when he had to move around he struggled a lot more. Also Tom Brady was not going to run away from the Giants lineman. So he did the next best thing he could in that situation, throw the ball away and hope they don't throw a flag rather than taking the sack when you know it's going to be a safety.

He was throwing it away to avoid the sack it wasn't questionable at all just like it wasn't questionable when Eli got hit for the same call vs. the Falcons earlier in the playoffs. Like the said on the broadcast it's being in the endzone combined with the pressure that drew the flag.

How do you know where Tom thought the receiver was going to be? You've never seen a miscommunication between a QB and receiver especially since he's throwing the ball well before the receiver makes his break?

Coverage sacks (in this case a safety) often occur because the QB is anticipating a specific receiver getting open any second. So they hold the ball and when the reciever doesn't get freed, the QB bites it. In this case, Brady was about to hit the turf when he tried to fool the refs into thinking he was shooting deep. Good head on that Brady fella. Smart, instinctive football.

How do you know where Tom thought the receiver was going to be? You've never seen a miscommunication between a QB and receiver especially since he's throwing the ball well before the receiver makes his break?

Yeah and if you avoiding a sack that's called intentional grounding. They will give you a break if a WR is even remotely close to being in the area. There wasn't one close to that pass, he was throwing it away to avoid the sack. It was pretty cut and dry. Notice when the flag came out Brady and the Pats didn't argue it. They just accepted it. He knew what he was doing.

It doesn't matter. There was no receiver in the area, that's the rule.

It doesn't matter. There was no receiver in the area, that's the rule.

I've just been defending that it wasn't a mistake by Brady. I just don't see how someone can say it's cut and dry that he was throwing it away on purpose. The rule states -

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

At the time he throws it there is a realistic chance it could be completed if the receiver runs the right route. Trent Dilfer explained this after the game.

I've just been defending that it wasn't a mistake by Brady. I just don't see how someone can say it's cut and dry that he was throwing it away on purpose. The rule states -

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

At the time he throws it there is a realistic chance it could be completed if the receiver runs the right route. Trent Dilfer explained this after the game.

Well, yea. I've seen grounding not be called because the receiver fell or was otherwise impeded. This is why the refs had a quick conference to make sure that there were no receivers running a route toward the area of the pass.

Again if you watch the play there wasn't a reciever near there to say he had a realistic chance to catch the ball. The refs have to draw a line some place or anytime a QB gets called for grounding he would argue that a reciever ran the wrong route. The refs give QBs a tone of room on this and if there is a reciever even close to the ball they wont throw the flag. There wasn't. He was just throw it up to avoid taking a sack (which was the smart thing to do because the ref might not throw the flag vs. taking the sack and knowing you are giving up the two points.) Again I go back to after the flag came out no Pats player was upset or argued it. They knew what Brady was doing which tells me the refs got it right because I don't think the Pats would have just given up two points in the Super Bowl without a fight if they honestly thought a WR ran the wrong route.

This was pretty much by the book Brady was about to get sacked and threw the ball away rather the reciever ran the wrong route or not he wasn't near the ball which by NFL rules is grounding.

Eli got called for something very close to this in the first playoff game vs. the Falcons. It was the right then and it's the right call now.

back on topic....cough....I still think had it been the other way around, Eli or Peyton would have been hung out to dry by the Bristol boys.

Earlier this week Colin Cowherd cut a promo for today's show that included "Brady, will he be put alongside Montana now?" (I'm paraphrasing)...really Colin? You did know they had to actually play a game, right? And you know for sure he's gonna spin this one till he's dizzy; always been a Brady homer

THANK YOU, I thought I was the only one thought the call was ODD, the calls in general were odd ALL game. But NONE outside of that one turned into POINTS directly! I was so angry yelling at my sister in laws house in Indy lol... Scary thing is he, a colt fan, agreed with me was a bogus call. (I been peeved if the Pats lost by just 2.)

From what I can see the receiver on the right ran the wrong route. It should have been a post with a in route underneath it by the receiver on the other side. Brady is throwing it where someone should be. Good call though.

No what YOU just said makes it a BAD CALL....

Not ingoring the rule in that situation it's better to just throw the ball away and hope you don't get he flag for a safty than just take the sack. You never know the ref might not throw the flag. It took a conference to get the flag to come out.

exactly. and a sack could be a fumble.

"The WR could have run the wrong route!"...

Thats a tough sell, and an even tougher buy.

That ball wasn't within 15 yards of anyone when it landed, and the closest was a Giants defender.

Yeah it's hard to make that case because it was to the middle of the field and the WRs were on the outside so even if they cut their routes off the ball was still not anywhere near anything.

Also I just heard an audio clip from Brady's post game presser on the radio where Brady said it was the ref's call but he was dumping the ball. Case closed.

No what YOU just said makes it a BAD CALL....

you cant make a call on where the reciever was going to be or was supposed to be, you make it on where he actually was, and the reciever was nowhere near where the pass was thrown

Again if you watch the play there wasn't a reciever near there to say he had a realistic chance to catch the ball. The refs have to draw a line some place or anytime a QB gets called for grounding he would argue that a reciever ran the wrong route. The refs give QBs a tone of room on this and if there is a reciever even close to the ball they wont throw the flag. There wasn't. He was just throw it up to avoid taking a sack (which was the smart thing to do because the ref might not throw the flag vs. taking the sack and knowing you are giving up the two points.) Again I go back to after the flag came out no Pats player was upset or argued it. They knew what Brady was doing which tells me the refs got it right because I don't think the Pats would have just given up two points in the Super Bowl without a fight if they honestly thought a WR ran the wrong route.

This was pretty much by the book Brady was about to get sacked and threw the ball away rather the reciever ran the wrong route or not he wasn't near the ball which by NFL rules is grounding.

Eli got called for something very close to this in the first playoff game vs. the Falcons. It was the right then and it's the right call now.

Isn't it amazing in 45 SB not ONE QB got called for intentinal grounding resulting in a safety, hmm could it be because those refs understood to not let THEIR calls decide the outcome of the game, and those 2 Points DID make a huge difference. Instead of driving for a Tying FG they needed a TD...(I am assuming Giants would have went for the reg point after). So the refs ALLOWED themselves be a difference maker in the game.