Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caleb Brantley arrested

He was projected to go mid 2nd to 3rd round, it honestly amazes me how frequently these things are happening in the sports world. The sad part is they happen far more frequently but we just don't hear about them because they aren't national attention due to high profile players.

Just disappointing.

LOL. I don't see how you guys fail to see how great all this is for us. Here's another 2-3 RD kid who'll fall to the 4th now. LOL. I mean we need an infusion of young, impact talent in this draft, and now with all these kids getting in trouble we can get 1st and 2nd RD talent in the 3-5 range. Its perfect. We could take serious advantage of all this and come out with like 5-6 1st-2nd RD talents. Plus who knows what really happened here. Never make assumptions as nobody really knows what happens between a man and a woman. You just never know the truth unless its a Ray Rice, Joe Mixon situation. Now grab Brantley in the 4th CB. Lets take advantage of all this mess and get some serious talent in this draft.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Explain??

You know me. I'll be real. So. He's saying a lot of players are thugs from the Ghetto, dumb as heck, etc. Something along those lines.

Oh yeah. And apparently "ghetto" is a bad word now in this overly sensitive society we live in lmao 

What ever happened to being real??? Cant even say Merry Christmas without some * getting offended lmao .. But yep. That's what he meant bro.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Because they never really belonged in college to begin with.

These superstar athletes aren't worried about college. That's just the step in between their dream. So who cares. They don't need college when they're gonna be making millions playing a sport. Just being honest.

1 hour ago, Happy2BeHere said:

He was projected to go mid 2nd to 3rd round, it honestly amazes me how frequently these things are happening in the sports world. The sad part is they happen far more frequently but we just don't hear about them because they aren't national attention due to high profile players.

Just disappointing.

What's even more startling has been the ridiculous amount of sexual assault allegations in CFB the last 8 months. I'm not sure what is going on in college football lately. And now two domestic violence incidents since the combine. The lack of discipline with these athletes is unacceptable IMO. 

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He was projected much higher than that

I should have used a complete sentence. I realize he was projected higher as was Lewis. Ballard has a history of giving second chances. Those three 4th round picks could catch some unexpectedly talented players. 

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

He's a projected second round pick

I know but he's not going In the second now He's going to fall a round or 2 unless he did something totally crazy. We have three 4th round picks My bad not a clear post 

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

You know me. I'll be real. So. He's saying a lot of players are thugs from the Ghetto, dumb as heck, etc. Something along those lines.

Oh yeah. And apparently "ghetto" is a bad word now in this overly sensitive society we live in lmao 

What ever happened to being real??? Cant even say Merry Christmas without some * getting offended lmao .. But yep. That's what he meant bro.

At least you learned how to spell the word this time around :lol:

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Explain??

I was responding to the OP who was making a generalization.  So I did too.

As a trend in seeing college athletes getting into "trouble" more, you have to ask do they have the maturity, discipline, or even aptitude to get into college if it wasn't for athletics.

It used to be a common question, back when college sports wasn't such a huge industry.

From now on, any discussion of a college athlete needs to have a few stats in fine print:  Major, Unassisted GPA, ACT score, SAT score.  

If I'm supposed to judge think highly of college athletes, the way sports media and the industry wants, I demand a certain amount of information beyond the info they tell me.

10 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

These superstar athletes aren't worried about college. That's just the step in between their dream. So who cares. They don't need college when they're gonna be making millions playing a sport. Just being honest.

I understand their motive.  Its the college acceptance standards and the masking of them by the sports media is the problem.

I say pay these athletes the amount they deserve, because the colleges are just using them to make money.  neither the kids or the colleges put much of a priority on conduct or education.  

Be honest, they are just there for sports.  So pay them accordingly instead of the colleges getting rich.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I was responding to the OP who was making a generalization.  So I did too.

As a trend in seeing college athletes getting into "trouble" more, you have to ask do they have the maturity, discipline, or even aptitude to get into college if it wasn't for athletics.

It used to be a common question, back when college sports wasn't such a huge industry.

From now on, any discussion of a college athlete needs to have a few stats in fine print:  Major, Unassisted GPA, ACT score, SAT score.  

If I'm supposed to judge think highly of college athletes, the way sports media and the industry wants, I demand a certain amount of information beyond the info they tell me.

There are plenty of non athletic scholarship players that get arrested for many things,  It isn't just athletes

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

There are plenty of non athletic scholarship players that get arrested for many things,  It isn't just athletes

What's your point?  We're talking about the athletes.

Should we NOT know their major, unassisted GPA, ACT score, and SAT score?  Why hide it?

To talk about nonathletes getting arrested too will get into a discussion about more social issues.  Maybe colleges all over the US are expanding because somehow the taxpayer is funding a pipeline of noncollege-material kids going to college. 

Education funding for public universities is a bit slushy you know.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What's your point?  We're talking about the athletes.

Should we NOT know their major, unassisted GPA, ACT score, and SAT score?  Why hide it?

To talk about nonathletes getting arrested too will get into a discussion about more social issues.  Maybe colleges all over the US are expanding because somehow the taxpayer is funding a pipeline of noncollege-material kids going to college. 

Education funding for public universities is a bit slushy you know.

An athlete's major is no concern for anyone but the kid. The school and the NCAA.   Why do you need to know that?  

As far as I know,  high school grades and SAT scores determine if a student is college material or not.   

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

An athlete's major is no concern for anyone but the kid. The school and the NCAA.   Why do you need to know that?  

As far as I know,  high school grades and SAT scores determine if a student is college material or not.   

Because I need to know if the major actually provides a useful skill after 4 years or if its just a series of classes that are grouped together to form an education about stuff that doesn't matter in an effort to swell class ranks and public funding.

I need to know certain stats...to make sure the colleges and media aren't lying about the player's overall qualifications in order to justify the enrollment of the athletes, high advertising revenues, and compensation of the adults involved in college sports programs at the same time the colleges accept public dollars.

Not sure why needing to know this is a mystery.

I'm also supportive of just calling it minor league football and basketball and paying the players $80,000 a year....CASH...instead of doing what schools do now...giving them 1 of 30 seats in classrooms that don't mean anything, then calling it the equivalent of getting $80,000 CASH.

Telling the public the athlete is getting his/her $80,000 per year compensation in terms of education instead of CASH is a big lie if the test scores and usefulness of time spent in the classroom is extremely low.

Just pull kids...any kids...off of the street and pay them CASH for playing and quit the phony "college student" marketing stuff.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Because I need to know if the major actually provides a useful skill after 4 years or if its just a series of classes that are grouped together to form an education about stuff that doesn't matter in an effort to swell class ranks and public funding.

I need to know certain stats...to make sure the colleges and media aren't lying about the player's overall qualifications in order to justify the enrollment of the athletes, high advertising revenues, and compensation of the adults involved in college sports programs at the same time the colleges accept public dollars.

I'm also supportive of just calling it minor league football and basketball and paying the players $80,000 a year....CASH...instead of doing what schools do now...giving them 1 of 30 seats in classrooms that don't mean anything, then calling it the equivalent of getting $80,000 CASH.

Telling the public the athlete is getting his/her $80,000 per year compensation in terms of education instead of CASH is a big lie if the test scores and usefulness of time spent in the classroom is extremely low.

Just pull kids...any kids...off of the street and pay them CASH for playing and quit the phony "college student" marketing stuff.

You don't NEED to know any of that.  It isn't your business

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

This post needs some form of 'special' award...

It so severely discredits all of the student athletes who go above and beyond a demanding physical regime to prepare for one of, if not the world's most physically challenging sports, to also earn their college degree, it is laughable. Along with discrediting student athletes who do things the 'right way', it also discredits many collegiate programs who also do things the 'right way' by maintaining academic integrity within their programs.

For every knuckle head athlete that gets arrested around draft time, there are also athletes like the Colts own Andrew Luck who could excel at any given 'occupation' they pursued. While the sample size may be limited for those with limited academic capacity and those with exceptional, I am sure (like in any population sample) the majority fall somewhere in the middle. So, this broad over generalization also discredits those, as well as the student athlete who doesn't make their way to the pros, as well as the athletes who play any variety of less popular sports...

1 hour ago, Buck Showalter said:

This post needs some form of 'special' award...

It so severely discredits all of the student athletes who go above and beyond a demanding physical regime to prepare for one of, if not the world's most physically challenging sports, to also earn their college degree, it is laughable. Along with discrediting student athletes who do things the 'right way', it also discredits many collegiate programs who also do things the 'right way' by maintaining academic integrity within their programs.

For every knuckle head athlete that gets arrested around draft time, there are also athletes like the Colts own Andrew Luck who could excel at any given 'occupation' they pursued. While the sample size may be limited for those with limited academic capacity and those with exceptional, I am sure (like in any population sample) the majority fall somewhere in the middle. So, this broad over generalization also discredits those, as well as the student athlete who doesn't make their way to the pros, as well as the athletes who play any variety of less popular sports...

I.liked then unliked this comment,  just so I could like it again.  Very well articulated.  I started then stopped a similar post earlier.  I was having a hard time explaining what I wanted to say.  Well done,  I agree 100%

The Real Reason: They don't give a %$^@. You can't tell me when they are approaching the combine and or the draft that their thoughts are "keep cool, don't do anything to start something so small as the tiniest hint of a rumor of something being wrong". If their is one time in their stupid lives to behave it is that period. Yet the punks (and stop calling them kids) don't care about anything but themselves. Also, isn't it reasonable to assume since they got caught that they do this more than once? At least Mixon was a high school punk when he did "his thing" but I was in high school and I got through like millions of others every year without being a spineless *. Ban these guys from professional sports for life and see how they fair in the working world with the "education." 

4th round?? With the way the NFL is cracking down on violence against women I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't get drafted at all. In the end I doubt he goes before the 6th if at all, too close to the draft and too much bad press by signing him..

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

The Real Reason: They don't give a %$^@. You can't tell me when they are approaching the combine and or the draft that their thoughts are "keep cool, don't do anything to start something so small as the tiniest hint of a rumor of something being wrong". If their is one time in their stupid lives to behave it is that period. Yet the punks (and stop calling them kids) don't care about anything but themselves. Also, isn't it reasonable to assume since they got caught that they do this more than once? At least Mixon was a high school punk when he did "his thing" but I was in high school and I got through like millions of others every year without being a spineless *. Ban these guys from professional sports for life and see how they fair in the working world with the "education." 

Very nonsensical post.   Well done

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Very nonsensical post.   Well done

Nonsensical because you don't agree with it? Yet  your response is childish at best. If you don't agree with a post you can say simply you don't agree but you choose instead to be the little smart butt that your posts verify.