Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible (probable?) pick-up for Ballard.....

Kansas City has just cut DE Jaye Howard....       he was one year in to a two-year deal.

And he's 28.       Certainly feels like the type of player Ballard would like to grab.

Do the finances make sense, or will another team offer more?

Worth keeping an eye on.....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kansas City has just cut DE Jaye Howard....       he was one year in to a two-year deal.

And he's 28.       Certainly feels like the type of player he'd like to grab.

I am out of LIKES but I agree, wouldn't shock me at all if we signed him.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And he's 28.       Certainly feels like the type of player Ballard would like to grab.

It's even more likely when you notice he attended a Florida college. Lol

He had a really good year the year before this past one. Had like 5-6 sacks and was a really solid all around DT. He seemed to be on his way to becoming a very good starting DT, but played injured this season. I think we should definitely pick him up. If he's healthy he's probably starting unless Langford gets back to the 2015 version. But yeah. Assuming, and I expect this btw. But assuming Anderson really breaks out now 2 years removed from the ACL injury he's gonna be starting at one DE spot. Anderson as a rookie was on his way to being DROY, and a Justin Smith/Kyle Williams type beast. I think he'll come in this coming season and really make a name for himself.

But man. If we do sign him, and Howard is healthy, and gets back to his 2015 form, and Langford gets back to his 2015 form, and Anderson breaks out our DL is gonna be stacked. Langford-Hankins-Anderson......Then Howard, Ridgeway, McGill, Hunt as the backup DE's, Woods and McGill as the backup NT.....LOL. That would be one heck of a DL rotation. We usually carry 7 DT's So who would be cut???? We wont carry 8 IMO. That isn't even counting Parry. Now that I'm thinking about this I'd say we just roll with what we have and let Anderson and Ridgeway keep developing as both have big time potential. Maybe Hunt is a hidden gem now that he'll be playing DE in a 34. Or hell. Maybe Woods or Hunt don't even make the final 53. IDK, but as I keep thinking about it. I doubt we sign him.

Langford

Hankins

Anderson

Howard

Ridgeway

McGill

Hunt

Woods

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

He had a really good year the year before this past one. Had like 5-6 sacks and was a really solid all around DT. He seemed to be on his way to becoming a very good starting DT, but played injured this season. I think we should definitely pick him up. If he's healthy he's probably starting unless Langford gets back to the 2015 version. But yeah. Assuming, and I expect this btw. But assuming Anderson really breaks out now 2 years removed from the ACL injury he's gonna be starting at one DE spot. Anderson as a rookie was on his way to being DROY, and a Justin Smith/Kyle Williams type beast. I think he'll come in this coming season and really make a name for himself.

But man. If we do sign him, and Howard is healthy, and gets back to his 2015 form, and Langford gets back to his 2015 form, and Anderson breaks out our DL is gonna be stacked. Langford-Hankins-Anderson......Then Howard, Ridgeway, McGill, Hunt as the backup DE's, Woods and McGill as the backup NT.....LOL. That would be one heck of a DL rotation. We usually carry 7 DT's So who would be cut???? We wont carry 8 IMO. That isn't even counting Parry. Now that I'm thinking about this I'd say we just roll with what we have and let Anderson and Ridgeway keep developing as both have big time potential. Maybe Hunt is a hidden gem now that he'll be playing DE in a 34. Or hell. Maybe Woods or Hunt don't even make the final 53. IDK, but as I keep thinking about it. I doubt we sign him.

Langford

Hankins

Anderson

Howard

Ridgeway

McGill

Hunt

Woods

You just talked yourself out of signing him.  But your analysis did have a lot of "ifs" going our way.  And they might not all go our way so I would be inclined to give him a real look and sign him to a contract if he looks okay.     A lot can go wrong in camp.  Now is the time to protect yourself and load up IMO.

15 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

It'd be nice if we (after the draft) traded a 2018 3rd and 5th for Sheldon Richardson. Then with that beast who cares about having too many DT's lol. Just cut whoever except Anderson and Ridgeway and obviously big Hank.

For the 1651648th time, hell no. He would require a HUGE contract, but dude is 1 failed drug test away from a year suspension. Not to mention the nonsense he pulled the week after his last suspension was announced. He's talented on the field, but can he stay on it? Now signing him as a UFA to a cheap deal, sure, but trading any assets for him is a terrible idea.

1 minute ago, D-lineman said:

I like Langford a lot but I don't think he  makes the roster this year. Colts going young 

He's not that old, especially for a D-lineman. We cut/didn't resign old, over the hill, expensive players. Langford is none of those. Before his injury, he was an absolute animal. If him and Anderson get back to their 2015 level, our d-line will be stacked.

6 hours ago, JRnINDY said:

Chiefs need cap room just to sign their draft picks.

Also doesn't save the team any money to release him!

Had a 6.3 million salary (1 year remaining), 5 million dead cap to release him, for a savings of only 1.3 million.

LOL?

8 hours ago, D-lineman said:

I like Langford a lot but I don't think he  makes the roster this year. Colts going young 

Langford when healthy our best pass rushing D Lineman if not the best overall. That being said we should bring him in if the price is right. After Langford Anderson Hankins and Ridgeway the D Line is wide open. We want to be cutting guys other teams sign. 

17 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You just talked yourself out of signing him.  But your analysis did have a lot of "ifs" going our way.  And they might not all go our way so I would be inclined to give him a real look and sign him to a contract if he looks okay.     A lot can go wrong in camp.  Now is the time to protect yourself and load up IMO.

lmao Yeah I know. I'll just be myself and type like I were talking or whatever. But yeah. As I kept typing I started to think more and more that we wont or shouldn't sign him and just stick with what we have.. LOL

8 hours ago, akcolt said:

Langford when healthy our best pass rushing D Lineman if not the best overall. That being said we should bring him in if the price is right. After Langford Anderson Hankins and Ridgeway the D Line is wide open. We want to be cutting guys other teams sign. 

What do you think of McGill? I still like him for his pass rush ability. I think he can, and will keep getting better and be a really good rotational DT, and give us 3-4 sacks a year.

17 hours ago, Shive said:

For the 1651648th time, hell no. He would require a HUGE contract, but dude is 1 failed drug test away from a year suspension. Not to mention the nonsense he pulled the week after his last suspension was announced. He's talented on the field, but can he stay on it? Now signing him as a UFA to a cheap deal, sure, but trading any assets for him is a terrible idea.

He's not that old, especially for a D-lineman. We cut/didn't resign old, over the hill, expensive players. Langford is none of those. Before his injury, he was an absolute animal. If him and Anderson get back to their 2015 level, our d-line will be stacked.

Regarding Richardson. What if he comes here and doesn't get into any trouble??? Then we have a top 5 DT on our hands. I thinks the risk vs reward is worth a 2018 3rd. I mean think of Richardson-Hankins-Anderson for the next 3-5 or more years.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Regarding Richardson. What if he comes here and doesn't get into any trouble??? Then we have a top 5 DT on our hands. I thinks the risk vs reward is worth a 2018 3rd. I mean think of Richardson-Hankins-Anderson for the next 3-5 or more years.

To continue the rambling, let`s pay Richardson`s $8M for this rebuild year, and as part of the trade we extend his contract for 5 years, $86,000,000 including a $15,000,000 signing bonus, $53,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $17,200,000.
  How ya like them apples?

Me, i`m rooting for Ridgeway. I can see him being a solid part of a SB caliber
 line by 2018/19, when we might be good enough to compete at that level.

13 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Also doesn't save the team any money to release him!

Had a 6.3 million salary (1 year remaining), 5 million dead cap to release him, for a savings of only 1.3 million.

LOL?

Apparently there is some offset language. Chiefs will be able to recoup some money back if he signs somewhere else.

Considering Chiefs (non-existent) run defense last year and the timing of this release, I think he's either had some off-field incident or he hasn't recovered from his injury.

But fwiw, Howard was one of the first players Chiefs acquired (via waivers from SEA) after Ballard had joined them.

34 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

To continue the rambling, let`s pay Richardson`s $8M for this rebuild year, and as part of the trade we extend his contract for 5 years, $86,000,000 including a $15,000,000 signing bonus, $53,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $17,200,000.
  How ya like them apples?

EXACTLY. The guy got suspended 4 games for a failed drug test (which takes more than 1 failed test to get suspended), then within a week was racing around with a kid in the car, guns on the floorboard, and the car reeking of weed. That tells me that the chance of him having further issues is too high for the cost. It's a very non-Ballard kind of move anyhow.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

What do you think of McGill? I still like him for his pass rush ability. I think he can, and will keep getting better and be a really good rotational DT, and give us 3-4 sacks a year.

I like McGill too I thought he would and should have seen more time last season. I am not sure why that didn't happen. It will be interesting to see how playing time looks this year w/Grig's gone. 

4 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Not sure why McGill didn't see the field more.

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

How ya like them apples?

Me, i`m rooting for Ridgeway. I can see him being a solid part of a SB caliber
 line by 2018/19, when we might be good enough to compete at that level.

How the hell you gonna use the word "re-build". Assuming we hit big in the draft we're winning the division....BRO. Screw rebuilding. That's ret@*ded when you have a franchise QB. LOL. But no. Oh yeah. And too. A top 5 DT isn't worth a big contract. My bad. lmao at ya BBZ. Come on man. 2-3 day 1, impact starters in this draft and we're rebuilding? That post was just depressing. Who cares about 18 and 19 until that year comes??? We aint the Browns. We actually have a top tier franchise QB. LOL. Go on dude.

A lot of question marks around his health. I also don't think we would be the only ones interested...certainly Denver who was in the Campbell sweepstakes and the fact their run defense was a disaster last year would be interested. I would be surprised if we make this move given our current DL condition now after signing Hankins.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:30 PM, COLTS449 said:

Langford

Hankins

Anderson

Howard

Ridgeway

McGill

Hunt

Woods

I dont believe we sign Howard either Colt 449

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I dont believe we sign Howard either Colt 449

I like him. We'd just have a log jam and I'm assuming we want to give Anderson and Ridge a chance to develop and see the field. lmao at first I was like yeah, yeah, yeah. But as I kept typing I was like. Na we wont do this. We're already too crowded on the DL LOL.

16 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

How the hell you gonna use the word "re-build". Assuming we hit big in the draft we're winning the division....BRO. Screw rebuilding. That's ret@*ded when you have a franchise QB. LOL. But no. Oh yeah. And too. A top 5 DT isn't worth a big contract. My bad. lmao at ya BBZ. Come on man. 2-3 day 1, impact starters in this draft and we're rebuilding? That post was just depressing. Who cares about 18 and 19 until that year comes??? We aint the Browns. We actually have a top tier franchise QB. LOL. Go on dude.

You're probably the only one that can't admit that the Colts are in the middle of a rebuild. Let me preface this by saying you can still win the crappy AFC South and still be rebuilding. The goal should be Super Bowl, not AFC South champs. We have too many of those mildly depressing banners anyways. We're at least 2 years away from truly competing with the top of the AFC.