Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Legwold Top 100 Prospects

Looks like the consensus.

The more I look at Barnett against good teams, the more I like him.  He didn't just build up stats against non power 5 conferences.   

I like Foster, except his injuries scare me.  The failed test doesn't.   

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I've talked myself into not hating it if we pick Forrest Lamp. I would however explore trading up with the next pick to try to still get an impact defender.

Same here. If we only allowed 13 sacks in the last 8 games, what would that turn into with a Forrest protecting Luck?

This is just a thought, but if we did take Forrest Lamp at #15, our OL would look somewhat like Dallas as far as draft picks. LT-1st rd, LG-2nd rd., C-1st rd., RG-1st rd., RT-3rd rd. I have no idea what is going to become of Castanzo, and I hope LC turns into a great RT, but the one thing when I look at all those picks is our line could be great, but when we start having to extend, we are going to put forward some major cap space. Couple that with Luck, but in the end when you look at Dallas running over people, and the time Dak had to throw, which was all day, could you imagine what Andrew would do with 5-6 seconds? Regardless though, I cannot remember us ever being deep and good on the DL, and although our OL was good under Peyton, it was never great. Would be nice to have both.

36 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

This is just a thought, but if we did take Forrest Lamp at #15, our OL would look somewhat like Dallas as far as draft picks. LT-1st rd, LG-2nd rd., C-1st rd., RG-1st rd., RT-3rd rd. I have no idea what is going to become of Castanzo, and I hope LC turns into a great RT, but the one thing when I look at all those picks is our line could be great, but when we start having to extend, we are going to put forward some major cap space. Couple that with Luck, but in the end when you look at Dallas running over people, and the time Dak had to throw, which was all day, could you imagine what Andrew would do with 5-6 seconds? Regardless though, I cannot remember us ever being deep and good on the DL, and although our OL was good under Peyton, it was never great. Would be nice to have both.

IMO, Peyton covered the negative play of the offensive line with his quick release and the best timing routes in the NFL.

I do agree with your assessment of picking Lamp and really wouldn't have a second thought about Ballard picking him.

1 hour ago, loudnproudcolt said:

This is just a thought, but if we did take Forrest Lamp at #15, our OL would look somewhat like Dallas as far as draft picks. LT-1st rd, LG-2nd rd., C-1st rd., RG-1st rd., RT-3rd rd. 

That's not how the Dallas line was structured and built though.

The best comparison in terms of draft pick usage would probably be the Browns line when they had Thomas-Bitonio-Mack-Erving-Schwartz.

11 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Same here. If we only allowed 13 sacks in the last 8 games, what would that turn into with a Forrest protecting Luck?

And Haeg was probably the weak link. Lamp would be an immediate upgrade. The line might only give up 20 sacks the entire season because that would also mean Luck would have more time to throw.

26 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And Haeg was probably the weak link. Lamp would be an immediate upgrade. The line might only give up 20 sacks the entire season because that would also mean Luck would have more time to throw.

Do you (or anyone else) know how many sacks Haeg gave up last year?

19 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I couldn't give you an exact number, but if Haeg is the weak link, then the O-line is pretty solid because I thought Haeg was pretty good for a 4th rounder

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

He was a rookie who had to play 3 positions.  Lamp, put into the same position would also be the weak link this upcoming season.

2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I didn't mean it as if he sucked because he's not Denzel Good. I meant that he was probably the one guy who didn't lock down his position.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

He was a rookie who had to play 3 positions.  Lamp, put into the same position would also be the weak link this upcoming season.

Lamp has a better floor and tools than anything Haeg has now. There's a reason Lamp is being talked about as being the next Zack Martin. Lamp out the gate is probably a better RG than Year 2 Haeg.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I didn't mean it as if he sucked because he's not Denzel Good. I meant that he was probably the one guy who didn't lock down his position.

Lamp has a better floor and tools than anything Haeg has now. There's a reason Lamp is being talked about as being the next Zack Martin. Lamp out the gate is probably a better RG than Year 2 Haeg.

chance warmack and johnathan Cooper were the best thing since sliced bread

2 hours ago, Track Guy said:

If I only I was into men LOL

And you could have Kamara be the Bride's maid!

Hey,  if the Colts take Lamp in the first,   you'll be the first person I think of!

And I'll also be wondering if we take Kamara in the 2nd?

This is your draft and I hope it pays off in ways that you like!

18 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Interesting. If Conley and Reddick are both there I wonder who we take?

I'd be lying if I didn't say I love Lamp. I haven't heard anything bad about him besides he can't play tackle but even that opinion is being reversed by many scouts.

I'd have to go with Conley if he is there at 15

I agree that no QB is a round 1 grade.  In fact, I think Watson is slightly too high, but likely deserves a grade around #30 (early round 2 grade) just because of his ability to carry a teram and showed could finish as well vs. Alabama.

I heard Polian recently say A.J. McCarron was better than all of the 2017 QB's, and I was nodding furiously in agreement.  I think teams like the 49 ers and Jets wait until round two for a QB, because Jets totally rebooted, and Lynch /  Shannahan have fresh 6 years deals, so QB pressure is low, and the Jets aren't conducive to winning, and sending out a one of these rookie QB from this class to throw 70% or more because they're behind has cause many a QB ruination.  I I would pass on QB in round 1 if NYJ or SF 49'ers, especially considering this next years QB class (2018) could be the best in a long time!

2018 QB class at a glance -

Sam Darnold

Josh Allen

Josh Rosen

Jake Browning

Luke Falk

Trace McSorley

etc...

And a guy who I hope slips by the radar and we can get in round 3 or later in 2018-

Mason Rudolph

Who could be a good backup to Luck, and also our version of  Matt Schaub, Matt Flynn, Mike Glennon, or todays hot QB property, Jimmy Garrapolo. big trade bait for QB starved teams.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And you could have Kamara be the Bride's maid!

Hey,  if the Colts take Lamp in the first,   you'll be the first person I think of!

And I'll also be wondering if we take Kamara in the 2nd?

This is your draft and I hope it pays off in ways that you like!

haha for the record even I think taking Lamp in round 1 and Kamara in round 2, would be put us far behind the 8 ball defensively... Our pass rush is a big need, but man, I don't think anybody in the league could stop our offense for the next few years!

Hmmm maybe fill that out with Trey Hendrickson in round 3, Rasul Douglas, Jourdan Lewis, and Joe Mathis in round 4, Eric Wilson in round 5? I could get excited about that draft!

But really I think we will use 2 of our first 3 picks on defense. That's the smart money if we're guessing how it plays out next week but either way it should be exciting.

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

I would like to get Obi Melifonwu in the first round. I think he could be our version of Cam Chancelor. I know he isn't rated for a top 15 pick, but waiting in the second round, I doubt we get him.

I know people have their favorite players and such.  You (and everyone0 get to have them.  But it may not convince others to agree with you unless you present a good case.

To me, Obi is not only not top 15, he is early round 2 grade.  Next, he's a downhill, in the box safety that can make a living near the line of scrimmage. IMHO, the Colts don't need to 'reach' for such a player in round 1 at #15.  Trade notably further down, and we might have a discussion then.  Would he put Clayton Geathers on the bench?  I do not believe either is capable of being a single high safety, so...

I think we go Edge or CB, not safety. Possibly OL if an elite talent slips on /through and is higher grade than pass rushers or corners available..

Hard to know what Ballard will do.  Can he pull off a draft day trade?  Get a decent corner and safety?  OTOH, I'd prefer a ball hawking, rangy free safety, not another lumber carrier...

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I know people have their favorite players and such.  You (and everyone0 get to have them.  But it may not convince others to agree with you unless you present a good case.

To me, Obi is not only not top 15, he is early round 2 grade.  Next, he's a downhill, in the box safety that can make a living near the line of scrimmage. IMHO, the Colts don't need to 'reach' for such a player in round 1 at #15.  Trade notably further down, and we might have a discussion then.  Would he put Clayton Geathers on the bench?  I do not believe either is capable of being a single high safety, so...

I think we go Edge or CB, not safety. Possibly OL if an elite talent slips on /through and is higher grade than pass rushers or corners available..

Hard to know what Ballard will do.  Can he pull off a draft day trade?  Get a decent corner and safety?  OTOH, I'd prefer a ball hawking, rangy free safety, not another lumber carrier...

For whatever it's worth,   I'm not sure Obi is just a Box Safety.     I think he's athletic enough to play the Free,  and some think he's athletic enough to be a jumbo corner.     The only way I'd be taking him is if the Colts trade down roughly 10-12 spots and picked up multiple picks.      I wouldn't take him at 15,  and I wouldn't take him if I thought he was only a strong safety.     I'd like Geathers to keep playing...

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it's worth,   I'm not sure Obi is just a Box Safety.     I think he's athletic enough to play the Free,  and some think he's athletic enough to be a jumbo corner.     The only way I'd be taking him is if the Colts trade down roughly 10-12 spots and picked up multiple picks.      I wouldn't take him at 15,  and I wouldn't take him if I thought he was only a strong safety.     I'd like Geathers to keep playing...

OK, that's one take.  Here's another form a few sources-

Leggy and gets feet bundled up when asked to turn and sprint. Lacks desired instincts and will play with slow eyes at times. Has to see ball in the air before charging over to help on deep throws. Inconsistent with coverage responsibilities from high safety. Takes time to diagnose play-action.

He's a freak. He has that elite size that will get him overdrafted." -- AFC Pro Personnel Director

May lack the coverage qualities and instincts at this point. His football instincts aren’t up to par, but the size and traits will be extremely enticing for teams who covet traits first.

He doesn’t trust his reads and waits until the ball is thrown before committing…hyper-conservative and often attacks at half-speed to limit mistakes, sacrificing yardage…routinely late to the sideline…eyes pay rent in the backfield…achieves proper position and locates the ball, but his marginal ball skills leave production on the field.

While a reliable run defender with the tackle production that stands out on tape, he is too cautious in coverage with below average anticipation, waiting until the play unfolds before reacting.

I am not sure I'd trust someone with these reports in Man Free or Cover 1.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

OK, that's one take.  Here's another form a few sources-

Leggy and gets feet bundled up when asked to turn and sprint. Lacks desired instincts and will play with slow eyes at times. Has to see ball in the air before charging over to help on deep throws. Inconsistent with coverage responsibilities from high safety. Takes time to diagnose play-action.

He's a freak. He has that elite size that will get him overdrafted." -- AFC Pro Personnel Director

May lack the coverage qualities and instincts at this point. His football instincts aren’t up to par, but the size and traits will be extremely enticing for teams who covet traits first.

He doesn’t trust his reads and waits until the ball is thrown before committing…hyper-conservative and often attacks at half-speed to limit mistakes, sacrificing yardage…routinely late to the sideline…eyes pay rent in the backfield…achieves proper position and locates the ball, but his marginal ball skills leave production on the field.

While a reliable run defender with the tackle production that stands out on tape, he is too cautious in coverage with below average anticipation, waiting until the play unfolds before reacting.

I am not sure I'd trust someone with these reports in Man Free or Cover 1.

I don't doubt that all of those things are true.    But I think some NFL staffs are going to see most of those issues as very correctable.     They can be coached up.

But here's what can't be coached up.    Nearly 6'4" and 220+ pounds.    4.4 speed and about 43 inches in the vertical and nearly 11 feet in the broad jump.     And I think he did well at the various shuttles.    Those numbers are freaky.    They're likely the best at the combine.     So,  while I think most teams will likely agree with your assessment,   I think some teams (less than 8 or 25%)  will see first round physical qualities and see a late 1st round pick....   somewhere between 25-32...

Odds are he gets picked in the first half of the 2nd round...   somewhere before 50.     I just wouldn't be shocked if somehow he sneaks in to the late 1st....

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't doubt that all of those things are true.    But I think some NFL staffs are going to see most of those issues as very correctable.     They can be coached up.

But here's what can't be coached up.    Nearly 6'4" and 220+ pounds.    4.4 speed and about 43 inches in the vertical and nearly 11 feet in the broad jump.     And I think he did well at the various shuttles.    Those numbers are freaky.    They're likely the best at the combine.     So,  while I think most teams will likely agree with your assessment,   I think some teams (less than 8 or 25%)  will see first round physical qualities and see a late 1st round pick....   somewhere between 25-32...

Odds are he gets picked in the first half of the 2nd round...   somewhere before 50.     I just wouldn't be shocked if somehow he sneaks in to the late 1st....

I'm sure he'll get picked, and, like TJ Green, somewhat overdrafted.  I just don't think teams would use him as an Ed Reed safety (Free or Single High), where we might ( be trying )  Pagano is trying to 'coach up' Green for a Safety role.... what we don't really know yet.

TJ Green is no slouch at  6"2" 209 lbs, 4.34 speed, about 36" vertical, and 10'9" in broad jump.

2 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Unfortunately I don't think Green will ever make it. He was a poor tackler in college and still remains one. I think we need a safety in this talent rich draft.

Green is as raw as meat in a butcher shop, but Pagano likes his ceiling.  His missed tackle are often poor pursuit angle, and sometime doesn't like he should   But for a Free safety, he plays downhill well-

He has amazing blitz potential from a free safety standpoint and all of the necessary traits to even become a good press corner.  No lie.  That's why Chuck went after him.  Pagano knows corners, and also how the TE is affecting the game recently.  It's a developed TJ Green type that will eventually cover the Gronks (and the other great TE's) of the football world. And Chuck wants to be part of that. 

I found it interesting the KC Chiefs might have bee one of the teams besides the Colts creatng a 'buss' about him last year-

http://kckingdom.com/2016/04/23/kansas-city-chiefs-scouting-report-t-j-green/

Did Darius Butler play any Free Safety last year? Or did he play SS when Geathers is on the Doctors table?

This was his first full years starting at safety for Clemson, where they went to (and lost) the ational Championship game vs. Alabama-

Third-leading tackler on the team with 130 stops ... also had five tackles for loss, three pass breakups in 821 snaps and started all 15 games for the Tigers ... named coaches player-of-the-game in the opener against Wofford when he tallied 13 tackles, including two for loss ... followed with 10 stops in win over Appalachian State ... recorded first career sack at Louisville, a 10-yard loss ... posted team-high 13 tackles against Notre Dame ... had nine tackles in 62 snaps against Boston College ... posted eight stops against Florida State, all first hits ... notched team-high and personal best 17 tackles at South Carolina, while forcing a pair of fumbles as well ... posted seven tackles in just 25 snaps before leaving due to a targeting call in the ACC Championship Game against North Carolina ... notched 16 tackles, including 12 first hits, in the Orange Bowl win over Oklahoma ... active in the National Championship Game with 13 tackles, second-most on the team.

He was forced into playing last year (when he wasn't supposed to at all) because we lacked depth and our safeties couldn't stay on the field.  He;ll show big improvement this year or might be on the road to bust.  I doubt that happens though.