Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which is better?

horseshoepower

Going to 10-6 and losing in a nail biter because of coaching mismanagement? (2010)

Going 8-8 and winning the last game of the season in spectacular fashion (2016)  

normally I would say playoffs are always better, but then I think about the year after 2010, how everything imploded, and I have a more positive feeling coming off a 8-8 great finish. Does momentum carry over to the next season for players though?

I think the way he is phrasing this question is a bit misleading.... I think he is asking what is better for your team leading into the next season.... Going 8-8 and winning on a high, or making the playoffs and losing on a nail biter?

Basically he is asking whether your team will be in a better mental state having gone 8-8 and finishing the season on a win, but missing the playoffs, or coming into next season having lost a nail biter... Personally I think the answer is obviously having made the playoffs. No player is happy with missing the playoffs... that what they are playing the game for, to get to the SB and win... (and the money obviously, which comes with winning that SB).

10 hours ago, horseshoepower said:

Going to 10-6 and losing in a nail biter because of coaching mismanagement? (2010)

Going 8-8 and winning the last game of the season in spectacular fashion (2016)  

normally I would say playoffs are always better, but then I think about the year after 2010, how everything imploded, and I have a more positive feeling coming off a 8-8 great finish. Does momentum carry over to the next season for players though?

There's going to be no momentum from 2016 to this season from that win. The team will be much different now, and unless they are better coached, a lot of the same problems will arise from last year. Not sure new talent by itself this quick  can change things.

Remember Triple H's theme song in WWE.

It's all about the game, and how you play it. It's all about control if you can take it.

We play the game from behind, and only take control when behind late in the game. That is not the way to win games and is a coaching issue. Would rather make the playoffs and have a chance 99% of the time, because that's how you can win the SB. Pagano is the 1% though, and anyone that knows football knows Pagano will never beat the Pats as long as Brady and Belichick are in the league. May not even beat the Steelers.

You have to consider the context here. That playoff loss to end the 2010 season was the closing of the window for the Manning era. Manning carried the team that season. The roster was weak...all of the stars were aging, and because of several poor drafts over the recent years, there wasn't much young talent in place to open the next window. 

So if you are asking if I would rather take being in that situation or the Colts current situation, even though this team didn't make the playoffs last season, I am taking the current situation.

But if you are asking would you rather lose in the Wildcard round or win your last game but miss the playoffs, I am taking the playoffs. Only one team wins its last meaningful game each year. I don't think momentum carries over in the NFL...but experience does, which you don't get by being home during the playoffs. If anything, winning your last game can hurt your draft position.

At least I didn't throw the 2010 Seahawks,going 7-9 and winning a first round playoff game into the equation. I think avoiding a losing season last year was a good thing, remember Atlanta was 8-8 in 2015 and made it the big game the following year. I'd rather make the playoffs every year, but as long as Andrew Luck is fully recovered,I just have a optimistic feeling about this year's team.

On 4/21/2017 at 3:36 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

There's going to be no momentum from 2016 to this season from that win. The team will be much different now, and unless they are better coached, a lot of the same problems will arise from last year. Not sure new talent by itself this quick  can change things.

It's all about the game, and how you play it. It's all about control if you can take it.

We play the game from behind, and only take control when behind late in the game. That is not the way to win games and is a coaching issue. Would rather make the playoffs and have a chance 99% of the time, because that's how you can win the SB. Pagano is the 1% though, and anyone that knows football knows Pagano will never beat the Pats as long as Brady and Belichick are in the league. May not even beat the Steelers.

Using the poetic meanderings of Lemmy Kilmister to drive your point home! Awesome!

Last year, injuries and inexperience made the road to the playoffs a climb. From what I've heard from the players, knowing they could have been in the playoffs but didn't make it, will be their motivation this year. Overall , I see an organization that is growing: a new GM, the players and the coaches. My two biggest questions are: will the Oline improve and how long will it take for the defense to gel?

On 4/21/2017 at 6:36 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I think most of our players probably don't even think about it honestly. They think about not making the playoffs and blowing that huge lead to Houston. Or losing to Houston a second time at home.

As a player, it's harder to forget the close games you should have won than it is to remember the games you remember the close games you won. From my personal experience and my teammates. 

23 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Last year, injuries and inexperience made the road to the playoffs a climb. From what I've heard from the players, knowing they could have been in the playoffs but didn't make it, will be their motivation this year. Overall , I see an organization that is growing: a new GM, the players and the coaches. My two biggest questions are: will the Oline improve and how long will it take for the defense to gel?

To your first question, they showed real signs of improvement towards the end of the season (with Clark starting at RT - I have real optimism for him at that position). It is safe to assume that with another off-season of working together and hopefully solidifying a starting line up will only help them to get even better.

To your second question, nevermind them gelling... We need to know if these players that Ballard has brought in will be any good at all. They all have that potential upside, but we need to know what we have in them at all, gelling or no gelling. I wouldnt put your hopes into our defense being a top 10 - 15 unit at any point this season.... If they could get to the end of the season and be ranked somewhere between 16 - 23 then that would be a massive improvement already leading into the 2018 season.