Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jabrill Peppers SS Michigan

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I know Ballard said he will take BPA available but he has stresses so much on front seven. I don't see peppers happening. Kiper needs to get off the Peppers train

Kiper needs to get off a few things.... particularly thinks related to this day...

Who the hell is Mel Kiper?

No, really if Hooker is there you would HAVE to take him over Peppers IMHO.  Not a knock on Peppers, who is a great athlete in his own right, it's just that he doesn't really have a set position.  He PROJECTS as a SS but who knows?  Hooker is a prototypical FS in the mold of Ed Reed with a nose for the endzone.  Yes please and seconds!

Peppers is late round one, early round two grade.  I think he could be excellent in sub packages, notably covering the slot and blitz.  But isn't that why Pagano drafted T.J. Green (who is taller and faster, even though Peppers was a sprint champion) to do?  I'm going to post some 'Weaknesses' of one of these players.  Tell me which one it is?

WEAKNESSES: Confused skill-set and lacks a natural position…eaten up near the line of scrimmage due to below average shed skills…late to anticipate blockers and leverage gaps…often plays too fast, overrunning angles and missing his target…shorter arms show on off-balanced tackle attempts…cover instincts are lacking…looks uncomfortable with his back to the ball…will attract penalties with his grabby paws in man coverage…undeveloped route recognition from off-coverage and needs to improve his body position downfield…poor ball production with 11 career passes defended and only one interception…four career fumbles at _______  and holds the ball careless at times…limited growth potential.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouts question his instincts and lack of ball production. Has just one interception and 10 passes defensed at Michigan. Slow to recognize construct of play and can be found playing through a straw at times. Needs better recognition and anticipation to become an improvising play-maker. Doesn't always trust his feet in coverage and will maul at the top of the route. Just a guy when asked to play deep safety. Slow to read and range until ball is in the air. Can be overzealous against play-action and drawn below his deep ball responsibilities. Too small for take-on duties at linebacker. Leads into tackles with ducked head. Opts to hit rather than wrap-up.

Definitely Not a single high safety.