Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reuben Foster just failed a drug test [Merge]

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/21/2017 at 0:23 PM, jet1968 said:

I'm not sure how failed translates into nothing. Point is he knew he was going to be taking a drug screen a long time before he showed up to take one. and still didnt pass it. Not a very wise career move

Well, he technically didn't fail the drug test... he just ruined the test and its results. He states it was by accident, but it doesn't matter.

Administratively, diluting or otherwise ruining the sample is automatic grounds for the test to be determined as positive. I've found at least two (there could be more) statements in the collectively bargained Substance Abuse Policy where it is deemed that any diluted or otherwise ruined drug test urine samples (or not completely cooperating with the Medical Authority) are determined immediately as a positive result. No recourse.

I would have liked them to send someone out to him early in the morning after a few days passed and re-test, but then precedent to re-test everyone might then be set.  So...

4 hours ago, Tmoney said:

He's probably the 3rd best back in the class maybe even 4th if you include Joe Mixon but we clearly have different opinions. I can't see him having that much of an impact wherever he goes, he's not Zeke or Fournette he's going to get limited touches in the NFL just like Jamaal Charles. 15-20 carries 5-10 catches and pray he doesn't CONTINUE to get hurt. Injuries are already a lingering problem for him. And tbh I don't think he's that special, he's fast but doesn't have breath taking speed, he's not very elusive and isn't crafty in the open field, and he's hands are OK at best concentration drops get the best if him. Even if he did make our O top 3, our D is still 30th. OL still 25th.

Scout Chris Landry has Fournette, Cook, McCaffery, and Kamara ahead of Mixon in draft grade. But Cook is even more of a character issue guy than Mixon, IMHO.  I'd love a Fred Taylor type back, but not with worse than Mixon baggage...

2. (JR) DALVIN COOK—FLORIDA STATE (M/C)
5103|210 lbs|3JR Miami, Fla. (Miami Central) 8/10/1995 (age 21) #4
PRO DAY 40-YD: 4.51 | 10-YD: 1.59 | 20-YD: 2.60
MEASUREABLES Arm: 32 3/8 | Hand: 09 1/4 | Wingspan: 75 1/8
COMBINE 40-YD: 4.49 | 10-YD: 1.59 | 20-YD: 2.63 | BP: 22 | VJ: 30 1/2 | BJ: 09’08”SS: 4.53 | 3C: 7.27
His ability to catch and adjust to the ball out of the backfield is elite. He is more athletic on tape than he is during workouts. He is a proven talent who plays quicker and faster than he times in drills because he anticipates defenders. Medical and off-field concerns would be his biggest issue along with ball security problems on the field. At the combine, Cook ran the 40 in 4.49 seconds and turned in a vertical jump of 30.5 inches with a broad jump of 116 inches. The 5-foot-10, 233-pound FSU standout turned in a strong 22 bench press reps there. Cook has the best all around RB skills in this draft. He can stay on the field all three downs. He’s got a lot of ability but he’s got on the field problems with ball security and multiple arrests off of it. Cook lacks the power that you may find with some running backs in this year’s draft, but he is a homerun hitter with make you miss ability and big time performances in big games. He generates quite a bot of avoidance yardage with his elusiveness and speed. He has of the same run qualities as former Florida Gator and Jacksonville Jaguars RB Fred Taylor.
In his prime, Taylor had elite, game-changing ability, and that is what separates Cook from the other backs in this class. He can turn the slightest crease into a big play, and he can contribute as a weapon in the passing game. In 2015, Cook was suspended after getting charged with punching a woman in the face outside a Tallahassee bar. Cook was found not guilty of misdemeanor battery in the incident, which wasn’t caught on tape. In 2014, Cook received a citation for a violation of animal care after allegedly leaving three pitbull puppies chained up by the neck in an unsheltered area. Those are reportedly not the only encounters Cook had with police at Florida State.

23 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

A urine screen isn't the only test out there.  They can easily give him a hair follicle test that will show results for the last 90 days.  Failing for dilution is not a reason in my mind to pass on him at all.  He will be a steal at 15. 

I have not researched collection methods, but I assume it has to be in the Collectively Bargained NFL policy, or it cannot be done that way.  Just a hunch though.

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I see that there is a real disdain for D.Cook, and it's completely unwarranted. All he did was rip a whole in all of your and my favorite team. The hate is real!

I don't hate Cook, I just hate running backs in the first.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

I don't hate Cook, I just hate running backs in the first.

I agree, unless you know you are getting the next Barry Sanders or Adrian Peterson type.  Otherwise, they mostly are rookie contract and done in many cases, or career fill-ins / backups / specialty backs.

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

And they will be wrong.

For those stating D.Cook is over hyped, He went to the same high scool as Najee Davenport, Millis McGahee, and currently Atlanta Falcons' RB Donte Freeman. Miami Central is and was a power house in High School Football.That's right in good ol Miami. There's no over hype here my friend. His resume speaks for itself. Stop hating. 

36 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

For those stating D.Cook is over hyped, He went to the same high scool as Najee Davenport, Millis McGahee, and currently Atlanta Falcons' RB Donte Freeman. Miami Central is and was a power house in High School Football.That's right in good ol Miami. There's no over hype here my friend. His resume speaks for itself. Stop hating. 

Dear God...

45 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

For the 2nd time: I don't hate Cook

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Where and what he did in high school is meaningless.

3 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I see that there is a real disdain for D.Cook, and it's completely unwarranted. All he did was rip a whole in all of your and my favorite team. The hate is real!

Yeah,  That has nothing to do with draft value for rbs

It seems like when it comes to some players, their background seems to always get brought up and almost overshadow why the player is being talked about. 

As a player, D.Cook balled out his entire collegiate career, and will do the same in the NFL. If you don't like it, 

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

It seems like when it comes to some players, their background seems to always get brought up and almost overshadow why the player is being talked about. 

As a player, D.Cook balled out his entire collegiate career, and will do the same in the NFL. If you don't like it, 

Every player taken in the first 4 rounds balled out in college.  It doesn't mean they should be taken at 15

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Every player taken in the first 4 rounds balled out in college.  It doesn't mean they should be taken at 15

We're not talking about other college players,  we're talking bout Cook. I'm not saying we should absolutely get Cook at 15, I'm saying if we did, I wouldn't be mad. And then draft accordingly thereafter. Defensive play makers and a nice olineman and TE if he were to fall somewhere in the 4th.

4 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

It is important, Tony Dungy explains why here-

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2024201-tony-dungy-explains-why-character-matters-in-the-nfl-draft-how-teams-evaluate

and here is another take on why Character is imprtant for the draft-

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9092615/nfl-draft-ultimate-character-study

11 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

You may not like this but, many nfl mock "experts" have the Colts selecting him at 15, in the first round. He's over hyped alright.

No they really dont, not anymore anyways. Idc what they mock Chris Ballard is our GM and I'm confident we won't take him. He is IMO, McCaffery probably goes before him.

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Scout Chris Landry has Fournette, Cook, McCaffery, and Kamara ahead of Mixon in draft grade. But Cook is even more of a character issue guy than Mixon, IMHO.  I'd love a Fred Taylor type back, but not with worse than Mixon baggage...

2. (JR) DALVIN COOK—FLORIDA STATE (M/C)
5103|210 lbs|3JR Miami, Fla. (Miami Central) 8/10/1995 (age 21) #4
PRO DAY 40-YD: 4.51 | 10-YD: 1.59 | 20-YD: 2.60
MEASUREABLES Arm: 32 3/8 | Hand: 09 1/4 | Wingspan: 75 1/8
COMBINE 40-YD: 4.49 | 10-YD: 1.59 | 20-YD: 2.63 | BP: 22 | VJ: 30 1/2 | BJ: 09’08”SS: 4.53 | 3C: 7.27
His ability to catch and adjust to the ball out of the backfield is elite. He is more athletic on tape than he is during workouts. He is a proven talent who plays quicker and faster than he times in drills because he anticipates defenders. Medical and off-field concerns would be his biggest issue along with ball security problems on the field. At the combine, Cook ran the 40 in 4.49 seconds and turned in a vertical jump of 30.5 inches with a broad jump of 116 inches. The 5-foot-10, 233-pound FSU standout turned in a strong 22 bench press reps there. Cook has the best all around RB skills in this draft. He can stay on the field all three downs. He’s got a lot of ability but he’s got on the field problems with ball security and multiple arrests off of it. Cook lacks the power that you may find with some running backs in this year’s draft, but he is a homerun hitter with make you miss ability and big time performances in big games. He generates quite a bot of avoidance yardage with his elusiveness and speed. He has of the same run qualities as former Florida Gator and Jacksonville Jaguars RB Fred Taylor.
In his prime, Taylor had elite, game-changing ability, and that is what separates Cook from the other backs in this class. He can turn the slightest crease into a big play, and he can contribute as a weapon in the passing game. In 2015, Cook was suspended after getting charged with punching a woman in the face outside a Tallahassee bar. Cook was found not guilty of misdemeanor battery in the incident, which wasn’t caught on tape. In 2014, Cook received a citation for a violation of animal care after allegedly leaving three pitbull puppies chained up by the neck in an unsheltered area. Those are reportedly not the only encounters Cook had with police at Florida State.

His ball skills are NOT elite by any means. Elite is Christian McCaffery and maybe Joe Mixon. He's and average route runner with good hands, not great. He's quicker then fast and has elite burst but I don't think he's very dynamic in the open field. Fumblitis with shoulder injuries on top of his small frame. Pile on the off field stuff and that's a wrap for me, especially when we have 3-5 bigger needs no thanks.

7 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Dam he went to high school?? I change my mind we need him!!! I can't believe he went to high school bro thats crazy fam. 

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

His ball skills are NOT elite by any means. Elite is Christian McCaffery and maybe Joe Mixon. He's and average route runner with good hands, not great. He's quicker then fast and has elite burst but I don't think he's very dynamic in the open field. Fumblitis with shoulder injuries on top of his small frame. Pile on the off field stuff and that's a wrap for me, especially when we have 3-5 bigger needs no thanks.

That is your take. Your entitled to it.

I believe he is tough and plays quite fast.  I think Landry overstates his hands, I think they are good,but not quite elite.  Otherwise, I'm only worried about medical, off field issues, and pass blocking.  Nothing else in his resume turns me away.

I only place Fournette, and Swiss army knife Christian McCaffery ahead of him.

12 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I agree he was a great college player, and he probably will be a very good NFL player. Only two problems though.

He has already had 3 shoulder surgeries, so availability at times may be a question, which scares me. I know two of the surgeries and I believe all 3 were on the same shoulder.

Second, he had one of the highest fumble rates in college football as I remember. Has a lot of trouble hanging onto the ball, and players in the NFL will know this, and they will be looking to punch and swat the ball whenever he has it. Fumble troubles can be worked on, but he has had trouble hanging onto the ball. I wonder if the right shoulder which he has had the surgeries on has played a part in that.

I have no problem getting a stud RB in the 1st, but Fournette will be gone, and I don't think McCaffrey will be there. So although he is a great RB and well worth the 1st round grade, there are issues other than the group of friends he hangs with.

15 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That is your take. Your entitled to it.

I believe he is tough and plays quite fast.  I think Landry overstates his hands, I think they are good,but not quite elite.  Otherwise, I'm only worried about medical, off field issues, and pass blocking.  Nothing else in his resume turns me away.

I only place Fournette, and Swiss army knife Christian McCaffery ahead of him.

True my opinion,

Maybe I hold RBs to a high standard, but I just don't like Cook's ability to break/make you miss tackles. He has deceptive power and can bounce of whimpy opponents but he's far from a powerful back. He's quick in the open field with amazing burst but when has Cook ever taken any bodies ankles? A sound, break down, wrap up tackler gets him down all day. 

Agreed McCaffery will be a better pro

Just now, Cynjin said:

A large percentage the people on this site could benefit from that.

I hear you but I think it is just a small percentage. Most of the people here are pretty great. There are many people who really know their football. A few people make some ill-advised comments, but the mods do a good job of keeping them in check.

Anyway, do you want the Colts to draft Foster?

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I hear you but I think it is just a small percentage. Most of the people here are pretty great. There are many people who really know their football. A few people make some ill-advised comments, but the mods do a good job of keeping them in check.

I don't but that is me

27 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yesssssssss!