ColtsArmy84

Reuben Foster just failed a drug test [Merge]

208 posts in this topic

I don't think Foster falls too far but I bet Hassan Reddicks agent is thrilled. In fact maybe he was the one starting all these rumors lol. I think Hassan has now leap frogged Rueben....but Rueben won't fall too far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

He isn't dropping out of the 1st... Or even close to that far. 

Thats what they said about Randy Gregory...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

 Many players smoke pot.   Most are smart about it  though.  

Not possible.  Its mutually exclusive.

 

If they test positive at a place like the combine or on the job at the NFL it means they can't lay off the stuff long enough to pass a test.  Its not they they toke up one joint on a Saturday night like others smoke a cigar once a week after dinner.

 

They must be smoking it almost like cigarettes.  Not chain, but very frequently. 

 

Would you think a football player who smokes a pack of cigs a week is unprofessional?  Why not a frequent pot smoker?  

 

The double standard applied to athletes smoking pot is simply amazing. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

It's right on schedule, so no issue. And yeah the weird combine incident, I'm sure that will drop a top 5 guy out of the first. Lol. 

I don't know the specifics about Foster or care to predict if all 32 GMs would draft him in the first without a doubt or only 1 GM would just barely take him as a fallen value pick.

 

There is enough chatter surrounding him that I wouldn't pick him at 15, not to mention the fact that he plays ILB and that's not one of the positions I would traditionally call impactful.  He'd have to be one heck of an ILB to get drafted over a similarly talented EDGE or CB, and he's not, IMO.

 

I'd rather take Barnett, or even Charles Harris at 15, and I wouldn't take Harris at 15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know the specifics about Foster or care to predict if all 32 GMs would draft him in the first without a doubt or only 1 GM would just barely take him as a fallen value pick.

 

There is enough chatter surrounding him that I wouldn't pick him at 15, not to mention the fact that he plays ILB and that's not one of the positions I would traditionally call impactful.  He'd have to be one heck of an ILB to get drafted over a similarly talented EDGE or CB, and he's not, IMO.

 

I'd rather take Barnett, or even Charles Harris at 15, and I wouldn't take Harris at 15.

I think you are exactly right about not taking an ILB over a similarly talented Edge or CB. I agree completely, but I don't think it's likely that such a player exists at 15 if Foster is still on the board. I can't make that case for Harris or Conley or Barnett... Maybe Allen if he falls to us, but Foster is a top 5 talent in this class... Just my opinion, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000801347/article/alabama-linebacker-reuben-foster-failed-drug-test-at-combine

 

based on the story it sounds like a result of him being sick and the test was "diluted". We'll see how that turns out.

 

I don't buy it, and neither does the NFL.  It is written in the Substance Abuse policy that diluted tests are treated as positive.  It also implies a cover up attempt.  No matter, once Foster is drafted, he will be in the NFL Substance Abuse program and subject to testing very often. Periodic and unannounced tests will commence when he signs an NFL contract.

 

 

6 hours ago, Finball said:

Diluted sample is a failed test?

 

Absolutely. Here's what happened to Dion Jordan a couple years ago-

 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/30/dilute-tests-are-indeed-positive-tests/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

OK.....

 

To recap....    he's got bad shoulders....

 

He's failed at least one drug test....

 

And the latest buzz is the NFL has concerns over the people that Foster hangs out with........

 

I think we have our candidate for 1st round player who might fall further than some think...

 

I'm not saying he falls out of the first round -- but he might -- only that once upon a time he was looked at by some as a top-5 guy.      Then it became top-10.      Then top-15 with Indy a possibility.

 

Now?      Who knows?

 

EDIT:    I just read that the failed drug test was at the COMBINE!!

 

I'll never understand kids who can't stay clean enough to be drug free at the combine.       You know when it is...    it's on the calendar.      you know how long you have to be off he stuff.    

 

And you STILL fail the test?

 

No thanks..........

 

That takes him off my wish list give me Reddick if he is there.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Imrryr said:

He claims it could be due to food poisoning. He didnt fail a single test in college. I am inclined to believe him wed be stupid to gamble and hope he falls to the second round take him at 15 ballard.

Every player is responsible for what they put into their body... including water. 

-Banned substances or a diluted urine sample are grounds for the entering the NFL intervention program Stage 1.

 

In the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Substance Abuse policy

 

“A Player who fails to cooperate fully in the Testing process as determined by the Medical Advisor or provides a dilute specimen will be treated as having a Positive Test Result.”


"A “dilute specimen”, which is a  urine  specimen that has  a specific  gravity  value  less  than  1.003  and  a  creatinine  concentration  of  less  than 20 mg/dL - shall be deemed positive"

 

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I got a random drug test a few years ago at work.   They called me in at 1 in the afternoon at work.  Keep in mind I work outside everyday of the year, and this was in early August.  Oddly enough my test came back as diluted.   Took it again the next morning and passed.   

 

Typically, morning samples have the highest concentration, thus tests are often taken in the early am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If drugs in sports were reason for mandatory immediate banning there would be nothing to do ever, anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Every player is responsible for what they put into their body... including water. 

-Banned substances or a diluted urine sample are grounds for the entering the NFL intervention program Stage 1.

 

In the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Substance Abuse policy

 

“A Player who fails to cooperate fully in the Testing process as determined by the Medical Advisor or provides a dilute specimen will be treated as having a Positive Test Result.”


"A “dilute specimen”, which is a  urine  specimen that has  a specific  gravity  value  less  than  1.003  and  a  creatinine  concentration  of  less  than 20 mg/dL - shall be deemed positive"

 

 

Typically, morning samples have the highest concentration, thus tests are often taken in the early am. 

Thats very informative so i appreciate that but i still believe as he hasnt failed a test prior hes worth that small risk for a hopefully future all pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Imrryr said:

Thats very informative so i appreciate that but i still believe as he hasnt failed a test prior hes worth that small risk for a hopefully future all pro

 

Two things.

 

1. If you sign him, he needs to stay clean.  I believe he can be test up to 10 times per month because he will begin life in the NFL in the Interventional Program Stage One.

 

2. If you sign him, the contract needs to be structured in a manner much like Tyrann Mathieu, Aaron Hernandez, and Janoris Jenkins had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still not scared of him.  Not yet anyway.  I know he hangs with some suspicious dudes but he himself has never been caught doing anything wrong.  Look at his background, dude had a tough upbringing from the get-go.  His father shot his then estranged mother in the back while she was holding him when he was just 18 months old.  Think about that.  And look how far he has come. 

 

I'm sure it took a lot to came from where he did to where he is now.  You can't do that without some commitment and courage.  Does he have some issues?  Likely.  Is he the only one in this draft?  Not even close.  do some research on most of these top prospects and you will find little nuggets like this sprinkled throughout their backgrounds. 

 

The point is, most of these guys ARE knuckleheads.  They came up from some sketchy places, they are 20-22 years old, and they have everybody telling them how special they are.  And how many kids smoke a little weed in college?  A LOT!  Of course you are going to get some attitudes, some questionable things come up.  If I'm Ballard, what I want to know is 1) Can the guy make a difference; 2) can he be coached; 3) can he break out of the rut of stupidity he's in.  If you can check all 3 of those boxes then who cares?

 

I think he can.  He's made it this far with little help.  With some leadership in the locker room I think he can be steered in the right direction.  I will say though that he needs to stay on the narrow path from here on.  Anything else coming up I think will put him down the list.  But I trust Ballard and his boys will do their due diligence and take him if they feel he will be OK.  I'd take him at 15 still.  I want kick-butt football players, which he is.  IDC about choir-boys.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Thats what they said about Randy Gregory...

Randy had like 5 previous failed drug tested. Not the same situation

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another opportunity to take advantage of this draft class. Now we have Tim Williams, Jourdan Lewis, Joe Mixon, Teez Tabor, and now Rueben Foster who btw, is an elite ILB prospect with Luke Kuechly talent. Plus Sidney Jones (injury).... All these kids are 1st round talents. I don't care if he failed a drug test as long as he don't get caught when he's in the NFL. All I care about is our players playing at a high level ON the field. We have a BIG opportunity here. We can steal 2-3 1st round talents in the 2nd-4th rounds. Trade down, pick up an extra 2nd. Grab Takk at the end of RD1, Foster and Williams in RD2, Moreau, Witherspoon, Tabor, Tankersley, in the 3rd, then Lewis in RD4, and hopefully Mixon falls to RD4 too. IDK. We can come out of this draft with like 3-4 1st RD talents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When's people gonna realize this is all common place in the NFL???? LOL. I mean its pretty much a known fact that over half the league uses some type of recreational drug. Opioid pain killers being the most widely used. They need to just leave it alone, and let things be up to coaches. Unless its affecting a players ON FIELD performance, or unless a player commits an actual violent crime who the hell cares???? LOL. Its just stupid to me. I mean let these kids play football and stay out of their personal lives. Just makes zero sense to me. We're suppose to live in a free world, but its partial freedom. Not absolute freedom. We need to take full advantage of this, and grab every one of these 1st RD talents in the 2-4 range. (Foster, Williams, Lewis, Mixon, Tabor).

 

wouldn't the NFL had been even better this past year if superstar talents like Aldon Smith, Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, Martavis Bryant, Daryl Washigton, etc had been on the field for their respective teams?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Two things.

 

1. If you sign him, he needs to stay clean.  I believe he can be test up to 10 times per month because he will begin life in the NFL in the Interventional Program Stage One.

 

2. If you sign him, the contract needs to be structured in a manner much like Tyrann Mathieu, Aaron Hernandez, and Janoris Jenkins had.

 

Aaron Hernandez was an ACTUAL criminal. Yes. Not known at the time, but much different than somebody smoking a little weed or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Lol,  He won't make it out of the first round for this

 

Like I said. Depending on the full result and what he popped for. 

 

Also had that gnarly injury issue. If Sidney Jones is dropping to the 2nd for his stuff then I see no reason why he'd be taken before Jones now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One can only hope, and this is very possible given the circumstances.......

 

Trade back into the late 20's, pick up a 2nd and a 6th.

 

First 4 RDs

 

1 Takk McKinley EDGE

2 Rueben Foster ILB

2 Chidobe Awuzie CB

3 Tim Williams EDGE

4 Jourdan Lewis CB

4 Joe Mixon RB

4 Shaq Griffin CB

 

Could be the best draft ever. No arguing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this reminds me of keenan allen , who test was positive but turns out he was dehydrated and fell to the second could be the same here 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

 

Aaron Hernandez was an ACTUAL criminal. Yes. Not known at the time, but much different than somebody smoking a little weed or whatever.

 

Irrelevant. The issue is they all had Red Flags before the draft and their NFL contract reflects teams lack of confidence that the player would completely  'Straighten up and fly right'.  That's the point.  If you draft a problem child, no matter what it is, write the contract as best you can to protect yourself should they fail.

 

IE:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-janoris-jenkins-rams-cant-agree-on-contract-safeguards/

 

But some things are totally out of bounds in that area-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/05/report-janoris-jenkins-rams-at-odds-over-financial-advisor/

 

But you do what you can or pass on the guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

 

Like I said. Depending on the full result and what he popped for. 

 

Also had that gnarly injury issue. If Sidney Jones is dropping to the 2nd for his stuff then I see no reason why he'd be taken before Jones now.

He wasn't popped for any substance.  It was a diluted sample.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Imrryr said:

Thats very informative so i appreciate that but i still believe as he hasnt failed a test prior hes worth that small risk for a hopefully future all pro

 

At some point, the truth will come out.  Will he be Josh Gordon and Randy Gregory?  Or Tyrann Mathieu?  We will find out because Foster can now be test for any substance, any time of year, up to 10 times per month.  not a lot of room to 'light a fatty' up in there. Or take other things.

 

Though he doesn't have a history behind him (being caught) like Gregory, he does have the potential for something worse.  Being a liar.  Teams might well bring him in for Private Interview (as the Colts already have, did they already have this info then?) and try to determine  under tough questioning whether there is any shred of truth to his illness and over hydration story, or he was trying to cover up an item of poor judgement.

 

Not owning your mistakes may well move you down or off the draft board faster than making a mistake, owning it, and moving forward from it.

 

Time tells the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Sirius XM's Moving The Chains, Pat Kirwin speculates that this will cause him to drop to the 13-17 range in the first round.   The first of those picks he threw out there was 15.  

 

I would take him at 15, then I'd hopefully go DBs in the next two rounds.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Thats what they said about Randy Gregory...

Pretty terrible  comparison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Pretty terrible  comparison. 

Except for the fact that both guys situations are practically identical. Both high projected picks. Both failed drug tests at the combine. So no, its about as close a comparison as you can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ranking of top 5 ILBs now.

 

Haason Reddick

Zach Cunningham

Rueben Foster

Raekwon McMillen

Jarrad Davis

Anthony Walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Except for the fact that both guys situations are practically identical. Both high projected picks. Both failed drug tests at the combine. So no, its about as close a comparison as you can get.

One has metal issues, and failed multiple drug tests at college. Then failed for a drug at the combine. 

The other one never failed 1 test at college, isn't bi-polar like Gregory, and failed his test i.e. Dilute instead of a drug. 

 

So you were saying?

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

One can only hope, and this is very possible given the circumstances.......

 

Trade back into the late 20's, pick up a 2nd and a 6th.

 

First 4 RDs

 

1 Takk McKinley EDGE

2 Rueben Foster ILB

2 Chidobe Awuzie CB

3 Tim Williams EDGE

4 Jourdan Lewis CB

4 Joe Mixon RB

4 Shaq Griffin CB

 

Could be the best draft ever. No arguing that.

 

No arguing it?  Nonsense.

 

Get back to me in 5 years when the guys in this pipe-dream of a draft of yours have actually played some NFL games and proven themselves.  Until then there is plenty to argue about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

One has metal issues, and failed multiple drug tests at college. Then failed for a drug at the combine. 

The other one never failed 1 test at college, isn't bi-polar like Gregory, and failed his test i.e. Dilute instead of a drug. 

 

So you were saying?

 

The post test items are exactly the same - both were immediately placed into the NFL drug Abuse Interventional Program Stage One the moment they sign(ed) a contract.

 

agreed, the pre-test items are different.

 

Gregory had a history of getting caught and tried to own up to it and conquer it (he has failed to do so and is banned indefinitely)

 

Foster has not tested positive, but diluted his Combine sample.  In the Eyes of the NFL and NFLPA ( it was agreed upon in the Collective Bargaining Agreement) there is a high chance a player was trying to cover up something, and thus it is treated just like a failed test; but with one caveat.  Now teams are wondering if the player is big timing and / or lying to them.  That type personality is not tolerated in the land of huge egos.

 

If teams haven't already pursued that angle in interviews before (I do not know when teams got this information), i'm certain they will now. 

 

I wish they would have just scheduled another morning test (even at his home as he was asked to leave the combine) a couple days later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

One has metal issues, and failed multiple drug tests at college. Then failed for a drug at the combine. 

The other one never failed 1 test at college, isn't bi-polar like Gregory, and failed his test i.e. Dilute instead of a drug. 

 

So you were saying?

Right, and this was Fosters first time smoking weed...common sense though, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Right, and this was Fosters first time smoking weed...common sense though, right?

You ignored all the facts. It's a bad comparison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SolomonThomasFanAccount said:

this reminds me of keenan allen , who test was positive but turns out he was dehydrated and fell to the second could be the same here 

 

Keenan Allen also had a 'water dilution' sample issue as well.  But it might have been right on the edge of failing, thus I think the NFL gave him a 'second chance; and scheduled another test a bit later. 

 

http://www.ibabuzz.com/beartalk/2013/04/17/football-zach-maynard-says-keenan-allen-is-coping-well-despite-drug-test-controversy/

 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/report-cal-wr-keenan-allens-combine-drug-test-red-flagged/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

You ignored all the facts. It's a bad comparison. 

You can go on believing that Foster has never done anything that would show up on a drug screen and that his first testing was diluted by accident.  That's pretty naive if you ask me, but that's your right.  I'll remain skeptical, because in all the times I've ever seen diluted samples, the explanation was dubious at best.  I'm not ignoring facts, I'm just not buying the same story you are because I don't believe everything I hear.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

You ignored all the facts. It's a bad comparison. 

PS not complaining or anything, but I always think it's a little funny when you come to an end of an argument and instead of responding saying your done, you "like" the post.  It's like, "dude, why did you like my post, I was just arguing with you."  LOL.  

 

On a serious note, no hard feelings.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Thats what they said about Randy Gregory...

And where is Gregory?  Medical privacy laws protect information so we may never know, but there is a huge likelihood he is addicted to pot, based upon his history.  Addiction causes the mind to prioritize the substance as the most important thing in your life....hardly a recreational thing anymore.

 

Players who fail multiple tests or can't clean up long enough before a scheduled test is indicative of a prioritization problem, if not full blown addiction.

 

The OT from Miami, to my knowledge, did not fail drug tests but taped himself with a silly looking bong on his face.  It could have been viewed as a one-off joke depending upon his history, and he didn't slide far.  Gregory's known history at the time of the draft is a way different situation.  It seems like Foster might be somewhere in between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

You can go on believing that Foster has never done anything that would show up on a drug screen and that his first testing was diluted by accident.  That's pretty naive if you ask me, but that's your right.  I'll remain skeptical, because in all the times I've ever seen diluted samples, the explanation was dubious at best.  I'm not ignoring facts, I'm just not buying the same story you are because I don't believe everything I hear.

I had a diluted sample as I mentioned earlier.   It happens when you drink a lot of water.   They should retest guys the next day after a diluted sample.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I had a diluted sample as I mentioned earlier.   It happens when you drink a lot of water.   They should retest guys the next day after a diluted sample.

There's a reason it's treated as a failed test.  I had a diluted one also (when I was in mandated AA meetings no less for an underage consumption arrest in college), but mine was a random drug screen.  That's when diluted samples aren't treated so harshly.  When you know you are getting tested, you know not to drink a ton before getting tested.  They tell you to wait until after testing.  

 

I'd buy his story a little more willingly if you didn't vomit multiple times with food poisoning.  When I have food poisoning, and really anyone I've ever known have it, the last thing you want to do is put too much of anything into your stomach.  You're just going to vomit it up anyway #1.  And B, it sits 10 times heavier on your stomach than it otherwise would.  Food poisoning is one of those things that it doesn't really matter what you do, you can't speed the recovery process up - it just has to pass.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I had a diluted sample as I mentioned earlier.   It happens when you drink a lot of water.   They should retest guys the next day after a diluted sample.

 

Or, he should have heeded a doctors advice (he stated it) and taken the IV instead of loading up on the H2O to keep the upcoming drug test from interfering in his combine activities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And where is Gregory?  Medical privacy laws protect information so we may never know, but there is a huge likelihood he is addicted to pot, based upon his history.  Addiction causes the mind to prioritize the substance as the most important thing in your life....hardly a recreational thing anymore.

 

Players who fail multiple tests or can't clean up long enough before a scheduled test is indicative of a prioritization problem, if not full blown addiction.

 

The OT from Miami, to my knowledge, did not fail drug tests but taped himself with a silly looking bong on his face.  It could have been viewed as a one-off joke depending upon his history, and he didn't slide far.  Gregory's known history at the time of the draft is a way different situation.  It seems like Foster might be somewhere in between.

That was my view of it and I made mention of the fact in my first post comparing the two.  There's no doubt in my mind he falls.  Maybe the better comparison is Robert Nkemdiche.  Foster perhaps falls to a late first pick.  I can conceivably see him going in the 2nd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'd buy his story a little more willingly if you didn't vomit multiple times with food poisoning.  When I have food poisoning, and really anyone I've ever known have it, the last thing you want to do is put too much of anything into your stomach.  You're just going to vomit it up anyway #1.  And B, it sits 10 times heavier on your stomach than it otherwise would.  Food poisoning is one of those things that it doesn't really matter what you do, you can't speed the recovery process up - it just has to pass.

 

This is what gets me as well.  i had bad food poisoning once, it was dreadful.  I was single and lived far from friends and family.  (had just moved). I was on the couch in a terrible shape with vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, muscle aches. you name it.  Didn't feel like moving (let alone eating or drinking!) except to make it to the bathroom.  I would have paid good money for a Dr., nurse to come by and start an I.V. in me, no doubt.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.