Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign former VCU Basketball Player

TKnight24

I am an avid college basketball fan, as well as a Colts Fan.  Mo Alie-Cox is a physical specimen. The first time I saw him play, I thought that is a football player playing basketball. (physically speaking)  I would guess with his athletic ability he can learn the game well.  He is pretty quick for a man his size.  I think he is listed at 6'6" or 6'7" and 250+ but it is all muscle the dude is yoked..... Like previous posters have said, I don't want to overhype him, but I think in regards to the old P word (potential), there is a lot to like with him!  I am hopeful.

3 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I am an avid college basketball fan, as well as a Colts Fan.  Mo Alie-Cox is a physical specimen. The first time I saw him play, I thought that is a football player playing basketball. (physically speaking)  I would guess with his athletic ability he can learn the game well.  He is pretty quick for a man his size.  I think he is listed at 6'6" or 6'7" and 250+ but it is all muscle the dude is yoked..... Like previous posters have said, I don't want to overhype him, but I think in regards to the old P word (potential), there is a lot to like with him!  I am hopeful.

His VCU profile lists him at 6'6"

I think we just need to wait and see how this plays out...remember that Swoope took us a good three years to get where he's at today just to learn the route concepts and nature of football...I think this could be a great signing in the future

Anyone think he can play OLB?

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

His zvCU profile lists him at 6'6"

"Alie-Cox averaged 7.7 points and 4.7 rebounds over his career as a power forward at VCU. Alie-Cox worked out for NFL scouts earlier in the month and, per Mike Garafolo of NFL Media, measured at 6-4.5 and 262 pounds with an 86 2/8 wingspan, a 11 1/8 hand measurement, a 35 7/8 arm measurement, a 4.75-second 40-yard dash, a 35.5-inch vertical leap, a 10.2-ft broad jump, a 4.45-second shuttle, and a 7.25-second 3-cone drill."

From 247sports.com

Just came across this, was listed taller than he was, but those numbers for drill work are decent to good for a tight end I would say!

5 minutes ago, Swimmerguy7 said:

I think we just need to wait and see how this plays out...remember that Swoope took us a good three years to get where he's at today just to learn the route concepts and nature of football...I think this could be a great signing in the future

Anyone think he can play OLB?

One of the reasons that Swoope took so long was the presence of Allen, Fleener and to a lesser extent Doyle

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

One of the reasons that Swoope took so long was the presence of Allen, Fleener and to a lesser extent Doyle

Agreed. I also think that this coaching staff having already gone through the same process with Swoope would have an easier time with Mo.

2 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Patience is absolutely required, and no one should expect him to come to camp ready to produce. 

However, this is not like Eric Swoope, who had never played football on any level. Alie-Cox played high school football as a freshman, and has been exposed to the way the game is played more than Swoope was.

Also, Swoope was 220 pounds when the Colts signed him. He needed a good year, probably two, just to develop his body so he could handle even a little bit of NFL contact. Alie-Cox is 262 right now. He'll need to work on his body for sure, including NFL specific activities, but he's already begun that process. 

15 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

We have out TE position set for next season, I just hope we don't 

use a draft pick on a TE regardless of being the BPA. 

Sorry, I don't agree.  We have Doyle and Swoope.  Williams is more of a glorified swing tackle.  Not exactly a very deep group.  We're not sure this guy makes the team or is destined for the PS.

If OJ is still there at 15, he has to be the BPA IMHO.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Very happy by it

the article I mentioned about earlier talked to members of the Chiefs scouting group

Alie-Cox visits with the Chiefs, Buccaneers, Jets, and Chargers and there were several teams in attendence for his Pro Day including Bears, Lions, Dolphins, Vikings, 49ers, Browns, Patriots, Redskins, Chiefs and Steelers.

http://nfltraderumors.co/colts-signing-former-vuc-basketball-player-mo-alie-cox/