Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Christiam McCaffrey's Value

Only way I would draft a RB in the first two rounds is if we trade back and get another 2nd. Draft Lamp, Ramczyk or Dawkins in the 1st-2nd and then a RB in the second (McCaffery, Cook, Mixon-I understand that they may not be there in the second round). I would have to have a stud Guard or Tackle first.  I am tired of drafting the flash w/o first solidifying the thunder.

Cheers

9 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Doesn't matter..... Elway will just say "you don't have to play for them, I didn't".... "come to Denver".

The Indianapolis Colts are not even close to what the Baltimore Colts were back when Elway was drafted.

This kid wasn't even born and more than likely has no clue about the Baltimore Colts.

One of the hosts on GMFB said it this morning.  Don't remember his name... (not Burleson or Schrager... the other guy).

Edit:  But he was doing a fake war room segment trying to justify picking McCaffrey to the Chargers at #7 soo... take it with a grain or 10 of salt.

8 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

One of the hosts on GMFB said it this morning.  Don't remember his name... (not Burleson or Schrager... the other guy).

Edit:  But he was doing a fake war room segment trying to justify picking McCaffrey to the Chargers at #7 soo... take it with a grain or 10 of salt.

I haven't seen anyone rate him above Fornette 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/sec/2017-nfl-draft-best-running-backs-available-04-20/amp

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The top RB's all have a neg, like all players.There is no one RB that can compete with McCaffrey's versatility. Several commentators urge teams to pick him over the competition. 

11 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The top RB's all have a neg, like all players.There is no one RB that can compete with McCaffrey's versatility. Several commentators urge teams to pick him over the competition. 

Like who?  I haven't heard anyone suggest mccaffery over fornette

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Like who?  I haven't heard anyone suggest mccaffery over fornette

I agree. It's not a matter of who is the best but who will be of greater value. Example, Walter Payton can't compare to some of the statistics of other former RBs but his value was obvious. The consensus on McCaffrey is he will be gone easily in the first round. If he is still there when the Colts pick comes up I hope they grab him regardless of their secondary needs.

On 4/22/2017 at 1:20 AM, LockeDown said:

Articles on Colts.com are already suggesting Turbin wants and might get  more of a prominent role in our backfield.  He is $$$ as a short yardage back. CM would be a nice compliment to him.  

You don't grab an RB in the 1st round to be a complementary back to Robert Turbin. You draft a 1st round RB to be like Ezekiel Elliott and be a franchise back that gets you 20 carries a game and helps lead the offense. If we took Fournette at 15, I'd be fine with that, McCaffrey would be a joke that high. He should be completely off the board at that point at 15 no matter who the first 14 picks are.

Cook and Fornette are better "runners" but special teams, slot receiver and running back put McCaffrey above them in terms of what you get for your money. Mixon will not go the first round and Cook also has baggage so Fornette and McCaffrey in the first round easily if not in the first 10 picks with Cook close behind,

On 4/20/2017 at 2:32 PM, Superman said:

It's not that either/or. My problem with RBs is positional value, as influenced by career longevity, contribution to wins, and replacement value. 

In McCaffrey's case, I don't think he's a prototypical RB, so I think he can have a longer career, and influence the game in more ways than just carrying the ball. But there should still be questions about his value relative to similar rated prospects at other positions.

I think of it like this, if you have a chance to draft Edge you do it, but if you had to choose between Edge and Freeny, it's clear you go Freeny

2 hours ago, James Ducheteau said:

I think of it like this, if you have a chance to draft Edge you do it, but if you had to choose between Edge and Freeny, it's clear you go Freeny

I think Cook is more like Edge, McCaffrey is more like a much better Darren Sproles.

On 4/22/2017 at 1:40 AM, HectorRoberts said:

He seems more like a Tim tebow. Great in college but not really an asset in the nfl 

Don't see that at all.  You can make a case that he isn't the best pure RB in the draft but saying he won't be an asset in the NFL is really off-base.  His skill set translates directly to what the NFL is looking for.  He can play multiple positions and has a quickness to him that will allow him to create separation from the backfield or the slot.  He will be a match-up nightmare for defenses and dictate coverages.

Tim Tebow he is not.