Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Christiam McCaffrey's Value

His versatility has to be priceless, he can play kick returns, RB, WR. If Belichick had him we would see highlights of him every day. If by chance, he is available when the Colts number comes up they would be nuts not to pick him regardless of their secondary needs.

He is the only offensive player where, if we drafted them at #15, I wouldn't have a mental breakdown.

I'd be unhappy at the shortsighted pick, but I wouldn't have a breakdown. He's probably my favourite player in the draft this year.

He is a rare player and a guy that opens up so many options for an offense.

I love the kid but I would not take him over one of the 1st round ILBs or a CB like Conley.

5 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Does he fit what we try to do, or can we fit what he's able to do?

THAT is my quandary.

Think about how Manning would send Addai out to the X or Y spot and run a wheel route with him.  No LB is going to cover CM.  The biggest rap is that he's not more than a 20 carry guy.  That's all we need, we have other RBs who can pound it.

He's what we all wanted Ferguson to be, except twice as talented.  But as someone pointed out, he may already know he's going top 10 so he canceled his other workouts.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Think about how Manning would send Addai out to the X or Y spot and run a wheel route with him.  No LB is going to cover CM.  The biggest rap is that he's not more than a 20 carry guy.  That's all we need, we have other RBs who can pound it.

He's what we all wanted Ferguson to be, except twice as talented.  But as someone pointed out, he may already know he's going top 10 so he canceled his other workouts.

I agree, he'd bring great value to the offense, and I like RBs with diverse talents, as opposed to pound the rock guys.

My concern is will Chud use him properly, or will we get stuck int he 'pound the rock' mentality?

He's overrated and has minimal value at 15 IMO. I think he's a full time Slot receiver and ST's player in the NFL. I don't think anyone is going to seriously use him as a RB. His pro comparison for me is Tavon Austin who is basically just a scat back/slot receiver himself. You don't draft any RB that high that you can't run in between the tackles 60% of the time. If most of what he's doing is pass catching than he's not a RB. David Johnson who is noted for his receiving ability, also had 1,000+ yards from scrimmage.

He's easily been my favorite player to watch in college the last two years and if we did get him I'd be ordering his jersey asap.

I still wouldn't like the pick, though.  All offseason the talk has been of defense and trenches.  Defense.  Trenches.  Taking McCaffrey is doing the opposite of what's been preached.  Obviously, if Ballard thinks he's the best talent on the board at 15, then that's on him, but may speak to a bigger issue in player rankings in our FO.

Basically, I'd be a fan of the player but really disagree with Ballard and the pick...

what i mean in this offense we only need the  back  to carry 10-15 games occasionally 20 plus carries  , at stanford he was 15-25 carries week in games so he can handle the load , his running style  , vision and patience is bell like  , bell is slightly bigger , if were going with compare with  back from past he is often compare to brian westbrook former eagle rb and all he was score td and had similar concerns coming out  

I would not spend #15 on McCaffery. His value is all determined by team fit. For the Patriots he would be an excellent player. They scheme for ways to use players as mismatches better than anyone in history. I do not see his value to the Colts and I think he would be a bust here.

3 hours ago, bananabucket said:

What's shortsighted is forcing yourself to take a defender over a more talented player because the defense happens to be worse right now 

I'm normally a big BPA person and I agree he may well be BPA at #15. 

But I just can't see us taking an offensive player in the first over the top defensive player on the board.

I think if it comes down to McCaffrey, Reddick and Conley available at #15, I'm taking either Reddick or Conley over McCaffrey. 

Love the kid kid but he's just not what we need right now. If he was still getting 2nd round grades then 100% I'd take him in the early 2nd. I'd even trade up for him.

It doesn't matter if you only run him 10-15 times a game. You'd also use him to split out in the slot. He'd be a matchup nightmare. 

And I do think people are shortchanging his running ability. They ran him ALL the time at Stanford. And mostly between the tackles. 

3 hours ago, buccolts said:

I agree, he'd bring great value to the offense, and I like RBs with diverse talents, as opposed to pound the rock guys.

My concern is will Chud use him properly, or will we get stuck int he 'pound the rock' mentality?

Exactly. All I think about with him is him being under Belichik which hopefully will never come true. He is a utility player and whoever gets him needs to use what he can do.

25 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I would not spend #15 on McCaffery. His value is all determined by team fit. For the Patriots he would be an excellent player. They scheme for ways to use players as mismatches better than anyone in history. I do not see his value to the Colts and I think he would be a bust here.

The Pats were my first thought of where I would hate to see him play because Hoody will know exactly what to do with him and that would not be good for all AFC teams come playoff time.

2 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

He's easily been my favorite player to watch in college the last two years and if we did get him I'd be ordering his jersey asap.

I still wouldn't like the pick, though.  All offseason the talk has been of defense and trenches.  Defense.  Trenches.  Taking McCaffrey is doing the opposite of what's been preached.  Obviously, if Ballard thinks he's the best talent on the board at 15, then that's on him, but may speak to a bigger issue in player rankings in our FO.

Basically, I'd be a fan of the player but really disagree with Ballard and the pick...

I read Ballard has a rep for surprising picks so if Christian is still available which I doubt, who knows?

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

10-15 carries is not a bell cow. And that was in college. 

I like him but posters acting like he'd be the best value at #15 is crazy. 

McCaffrey did not average 10-15 carries in college.      He averaged 25 carries a game.    Come on,  a little home work would help.    And that doesn't includes his receptions and his kick returns and his punt returns.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3117251/christian-mccaffrey

You don't shatter Barry Sanders all-time total yards in a single season record without touching the ball a  LOT!!

And if McCaffrey isn't a top-15 player,  then someone who knows less about football is likely going to make a mistake,   because the rumblings are he's going to go high.

Football in 2017 is about match-ups.      And McCaffrey is a match-up nightmare for defenses.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

McCaffrey did not average 10-15 carries in college.      He averaged 25 carries a game.    Come on,  a little home work would help.    And that doesn't includes his receptions and his kick returns and his punt returns.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3117251/christian-mccaffrey

You don't shatter Barry Sanders all-time total yards in a single season record without touching the ball a  LOT!!

And if McCaffrey isn't a top-15 player,  then someone who knows less about football is likely going to make a mistake,   because the rumblings are he's going to go high.

Football in 2017 is about match-ups.      And McCaffrey is a match-up nightmare for defenses.

I didn't say that, the guy I quoted did. Was just replying to what he said.  And like I said before, that's in college. He had an amazing college career, I know. 

And just because Mccaffrey is rated top 15 on some other teams big board, doesn't mean he will be on the Colts. And he won't be imo.

5 hours ago, bananabucket said:

What's shortsighted is forcing yourself to take a defender over a more talented player because the defense happens to be worse right now 

It's not that either/or. My problem with RBs is positional value, as influenced by career longevity, contribution to wins, and replacement value. 

In McCaffrey's case, I don't think he's a prototypical RB, so I think he can have a longer career, and influence the game in more ways than just carrying the ball. But there should still be questions about his value relative to similar rated prospects at other positions.

I think he could play RB, WR, KR/PR.  The guy is extreamly versatile.  I wouldn't mind the pick though at 15 it would be a little difficult.  Perhaps a trade back to 20??

Pretty sure Ballard is going to draft BPA, doesn't really matter what position so if CM is the best player on their board they will take him.  

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

The Pats were my first thought of where I would hate to see him play because Hoody will know exactly what to do with him and that would not be good for all AFC teams come playoff time.

Pats don't need him.  And the Hoody doesn't seem to value skill position players in the first.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Not so much.  He will go to the team that drafts him

Just messing around jvan1973.... not everything that everyone says is literal like it is in your world

All good though, I truly admire your desire to prove people wrong.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

It's not that either/or. My problem with RBs is positional value, as influenced by career longevity, contribution to wins, and replacement value. 

In McCaffrey's case, I don't think he's a prototypical RB, so I think he can have a longer career, and influence the game in more ways than just carrying the ball. But there should still be questions about his value relative to similar rated prospects at other positions.

Reggie Bush

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Reggie Bush

Yeah, and even then, he had about an 8 year career, and was only a go-to back one season. Mario Williams lasted about 9 years. 

Matter of fact, if you look at that draft, not many of those first rounders lasted very long. 

5 hours ago, Gigc said:

unless the other two running backs are also considered top 15 picks. 

uhhhh, which a lot of people have predicted :)

Its mathematically possible of course.  But considering there are 21 other positions on a team, the probability is very very low that 13 other players are not better than him after two RBs are taken ahead of him.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, and even then, he had about an 8 year career, and was only a go-to back one season. Mario Williams lasted about 9 years. 

Matter of fact, if you look at that draft, not many of those first rounders lasted very long. 

Yeah,  I'm guessing if the saints had a do over,  They wouldn't have taken reggie in the 2-spot

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its mathematically possible of course.  But considering there are 21 other positions on a team, the probability is very very low that 13 other players are not better than him after two RBs are taken ahead of him.

I think he will be taken before cook