Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would need to happen for you to consider 2017 a successful season?

RockThatBlue

Thought this would be an interesting thread...

How would you consider 2017 a success? AFC South champs? A few playoff wins? Super bowl or bust(I'm not but I know some people are like that)?

For me, I'd say AFC South champs, with a few playoff wins would be a successful year for Pagano/Ballard. Anything short of that, would be a failure. JMO.

36 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Thought this would be an interesting thread...

How would you consider 2017 a success? AFC South champs? A few playoff wins? Super bowl or bust(I'm not but I know some people are like that)?

For me, I'd say AFC South champs, with a few playoff wins would be a successful year for Pagano/Ballard. Anything short of that, would be a failure. JMO.

Welp I bet a friend 500 that they'd win 10 games so that's it for me.  But really making the playoffs would make me happy

I'm going to leave out team records and winning the division because it's still pre-draft and anything could happen. I'm going much more complex, though, saying that we need to get at least 40 sacks while our offensive line lets up less than 25. We need to get at least 25 takeaways from our defense (INT and FR combined), and also allowing under 100 rushing yards per game. Our offense needs to let up less than 15 turnovers and rush for 120 ypg. Oh, and finally, we need to keep Luck healthy.

The yearly goal of every team/organization is to win the Super Bowl.  Successful year is to get better/improve from the previous year.  Now if we dwell on successful year then we'd be what Superman stated - mediocrity!

10 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I'm going to leave out team records and winning the division because it's still pre-draft and anything could happen. I'm going much more complex, though, saying that we need to get at least 40 sacks while our offensive line lets up less than 25. We need to get at least 25 takeaways from our defense (INT and FR combined), and also allowing under 100 rushing yards per game. Our offense needs to let up less than 15 turnovers and rush for 120 ypg. Oh, and finally, we need to keep Luck healthy.

25 sacks is A LOT Ghost.  Way too many to be considered a good number. I'd like to see the rest happen though. 

I like winning as much as the next guy.... but for me seeing our defense make a noticeable improvement would be a two step or almost leap forward type of progress...

Winning the AFC South is awesome, but at the same time I cringe at the years we did that with PM and then politely bowed out of the playoffs to San Diego or whomever.

Winning two games in the PO's generally puts you in the AFCCG and we all know how that would end.

For now I am for eating an elephant one bite at a time until we get some guys here that will be difference makers ( Freeney/ Mathis) .... 

It would just be nice to be in the conversation of those who are expected to win again instead of what we have been doing in the Luck Era... 

Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to go 11-5 or  12-4  .... lets see some competitive football this year for a change!!

We should win our Division considering Houston's QB situation but we didn't last season. We let Brock sweep us, pretty embarrassing. Having said that with a healthy Luck I never think we will go worse than 8-8 and always have a chance at 11-5. Have to win our Division games and most of our close games. I at least hope we win our Division/make the Playoffs, if not that would be disappointing.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We should win our Division considering Houston's QB situation but we didn't last season. We let Brock sweep us, pretty embarrassing. Having said that with a healthy Luck I never think we will go worse than 8-8 and always have a chance at 11-5. Have to win our Division games and most of our close games. I at least hope we win our Division/make the Playoffs, if not that would be disappointing.

Lets hope we get a D put together that gives Luck more time of possession.

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lets hope we get a D put together that gives Luck more time of possession.

Well Chud gotta gameplan better and our offense can't go 3 and out for entire first halfs either. That would help our time of possession too. I'll take both of those scenarios happening. 

9 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Well Chud gotta gameplan better and our offense can't go 3 and out for entire first halfs either. That would help our time of possession too. I'll take both of those scenarios happening. 

I hear what you are saying , however our LB's as a whole were terrible. No pass rush. If Anderson is healthy should be a boost, as well as the athletic LB's we picked up in FA.We must force 3 and outs.

18 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I hear what you are saying , however our LB's as a whole were terrible. No pass rush. If Anderson is healthy should be a boost, as well as the athletic LB's we picked up in FA.We must force 3 and outs.

I agree. Our pass rush has been the worst I can remember.  And our linebacking corps was easily the weakest unit on the team. We definitely need improvement on both sides of the ball.  Our D is much farther away than our O. That's why our O is more frustrating to me. With the offensive weapons we have, we should never show up looking unprepared. 

Even with a terrible defense we should should be able to win our terrible division. But not with a terrible defense, too inconsistent offense, and injured Luck. A bad defense, inconsistent offense, and healthy Luck is good enough to win the South. A good defense, consistent offense, & healthy Luck and we're serious contenders...  3 out 3 isn't likely. But 2 out of those 3 scenarios happening (healthy Luck being a must lol) and we're back on the track where we were after deflategate.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

In 2017, we need to win 5 of the next 7 Super Bowls. 

I don't think you're asking enough!

I think we need to win 7 of the next 5 Super Bowls!!

(Did I have ever tell you that Math was not a particularly strong subject of mine?!?)         :thmup:

I'd like to see the Colts win the AFC South.  

I think that would be a step in the right direction.    If we could add at least one playoff win,  that would be gravy for me.

If we could dethrone the Texans and hold off Tennessee and Jacksonville, I think that would make '17 a nice comeback year....

Win AFC South with at least 10 wins AND beat at least one of the elite teams AND at least stay competitive in the games we lose. It's all good to win the AFC South, but I'd like to see that the Colts aren't just a big fish in a small pond.

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

25 sacks is A LOT Ghost.  Way too many to be considered a good number. I'd like to see the rest happen though. 

???

That is an average of 1.56 sacks a game, well below average. In fact, it sounds too good to be true.

31 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

???

That is an average of 1.56 sacks a game, well below average. In fact, it sounds too good to be true.

I want that number below 20. But considering our line is still maturing, 25 isn't terrible. And it is much better than 41. Lol. But I still want below 20. Even if we have to go to a quicker hitting passing attack to accomplish it.  

We've seen too many hits, sacks, and injuries on Luck.  Feels like he's already endured a career's worth. And he's as big and tough as they come... I want to be in the top 5 for fewest sacks allowed per season.  

Hopefully for the rest of his career. He deserves it. The body can only take so much punishment and so many injuries before it starts to give out. Luck is on that path and we need to correct it now before it's too late. 

13 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I want that number below 20. But considering our line is still maturing, 25 isn't terrible. And it is much better than 41. Lol. But I still want below 20. Even if we have to go to a quicker hitting passing attack to accomplish it.  

We've seen too many hits, sacks, and injuries on Luck.  Feels like he's already endured a career's worth. And he's as big and tough as they come... I want to be in the top of 5 fewest sacks allowed per season.  Hopefully for the rest of his career. He deserves it. 

Below 20 a season is a realistic as trading a compensatory 7th rounder in the year 2050 for JJ Watt, who we then sign to $5.15 per hour minimum wage. 20 sacks a season, 16 games a season - that's barely higher than 1 per game! Think of a defense that can only sack a QB once a game. That is the definition of disaster.

I don't think you're aware of sacks per season allowed by offensive lines in this league.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-per-game

The lowest is an average of 1.2 sacks per game in the past 2016 season, which is 19 per season. (rounding numbers appropriately) That is an extreme outlier and abberation, something that is not even shown by #2 or #3s on the list.

The highest number of sacks allowed was 4.1 per game, or 66 a season.

The median number was 2.2 per game, or 35 a season.

25 would be well into the best 5, not "too high".