Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Forrest Lamp was 100% the 15th best player in the draft, would you take him there?

Would you take Forrest Lamp at 15 if it was guaranteed he was the 15th best player in the draft?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take Forrest Lamp at 15 if it was guaranteed he was the 15th best player in the draft?

This question is straightforward, yet a bit tricky. Would you take Forrest Lamp at 15 if he was the guaranteed 15th best player in the draft? This means a few things. He will have a limited floor and ceiling, and it fully depends on how the rest of the players in the draft do. Only 14 will be better than him. This doesn't mean it will be obvious who, or how the draft will shape out. If it's a great class, it would be beneficial. A poor draft class means you get an average G when you could of got an elite player at another position. This question basically asks if you would take him if he performed exactly to his draft spot, no higher or lower. No trading down either. A straightforward, you get what you pay for, safe pick. Would you do it? I definitely would.

19 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Yes. How do you judge whether he is 100% the best player in the draft though.

I haven't seen many people actually ranking him as a top 15 prospect unless I've missed it?

You really can't, but he's the player I've seen go to us the most, and Ballard is high on  fixing the trenches. It's a hypothetical that he would be the 15th best player in the draft guaranteed, but in my scenario, he would be. No more, no less. You just get what you paid for at the G position. I see him a bit like Ryan Kelly in the respect that Kelly will not be a top 10 player in the draft last year, but he is definitely worth it where we took him, and I think Lamp will of similar value at our pick.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You really can't, but he's the player I've seen go to us the most, and Ballard is high on  fixing the trenches. It's a hypothetical that he would be the 15th best player in the draft guaranteed, but in my scenario, he would be. No more, no less. You just get what you paid for at the G position. I see him a bit like Ryan Kelly in the respect that Kelly will not be a top 10 player in the draft last year, but he is definitely worth it where we took him, and I think Lamp will of similar value at our pick.

I haven't seen him go to us for a while tbh, the focus (correctly in my mind) seems to have moved to the defense.

In theory though if he was the CLEAR best player when we picked even though I doubt the positional value then I'd support picking him.

When he seems to be ranked somewhere between to 20th to 60th best player on most expert big board I struggle to believe that he's quite as highly rated as it's sometimes made out on here me.

Lamp would arguably be more of a reach for perceived need than any defensive player or even running back!

Just now, ClaytonColt said:

I haven't seen him go to us for a while tbh, the focus (correctly in my mind) seems to have moved to the defense.

In theory though if he was the CLEAR best player when we picked even though I doubt the positional value then I'd support picking him.

When he seems to be ranked somewhere between to 20th to 60th best player on most expert big board I struggle to believe that he's quite as highly rated as it's sometimes made out on here me.

Lamp would arguably be more of a reach for perceived need than any defensive player or even running back!

Yeah, I'm for BPA at this point (just hope we don't go McCaffrey). I don't know what Ballard will do, and this close to the draft, my gut says there is some interest from us in Lamp, so this seemed like an interesting question. The experts big board may not coincide with the Colts big board, so you can only take it so far (like who is a 1st rounder, and what ranges players are in). If I was making a betting line in Vegas, I'd give Lamp a 25% chance of being picked by us if available at 15. That's assuming there aren't any big surprises that fall to 15 either (if Foster falls, I think Ballard is all over him).

I don`t look at it so much as if Lamp is the BPA at 15. I think you take any player at that point who translates well to the NFL game. There are some scouts that have no doubt a player is going to very good at the next level. I have read from two different scouts that Lamp is the real deal. Now that doesn`t mean he`s guaranteed to be an Pro bowler I know, but mitigating the risk of drafting a dud and adding a quality player is sound IMO. With that being said, I would have no problems with Lamp to the Colts at 15. He could do wonders for the line and Luck. I have no doubt Zak Prescott wouldn't`t have been that good last season playing behind the Colts OL. Imagine how good A. Luck could be with the Cowboys OL.  

No.

Because there are lots of good CBs and ILBs in the 1st round of this draft. We need one of them more than another young RG.

I'm not sure some people understand that of those with starting experience at CB, we only have Vontae and Rashaan Melvin. That is not good. I'd be okay with double dipping at CB the first 2 round to be honest.

At ILB our projected starters are Antonio Morrision and one of Edwin Jackson and Sean Spence. Again, not a great combination.

I'd take any of Conley & Humphrey at CB or Reddick, Foster and Davis at ILB over Lamp at #15. 

Lamp is not the 15th best player in the draft.  

2 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

No.

Because there are lots of good CBs and ILBs in the 1st round of this draft. We need one of them more than another young RG.

I'm not sure some people understand that of those with starting experience at CB, we only have Vontae and Rashaan Melvin. That is not good. I'd be okay with double dipping at CB the first 2 round to be honest.

At ILB our projected starters are Antonio Morrision and one of Edwin Jackson and Sean Spence. Again, not a great combination.

I'd take any of Conley & Humphrey at CB or Reddick, Foster and Davis at ILB over Lamp at #15. 

Lamp is not the 15th best player in the draft.  

I think you are misinterpreting the question. I said if I could guarantee he was the 15th best player (no better, no worse), would you take him. This is basically guaranteeing he isn't a bust. It also guarantees he isn't a superstar though, just a Ryan Kelly type of Guard. If you would take Conley, Humphrey, Reddick, Foster, or Davis, they could all be busts. In my scenario, Lamp is unquestionably guaranteed to be the 15th best player in the draft. Knowing that, you wouldn't take him there and would risk taking someone else?

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think you are misinterpreting the question. I said if I could guarantee he was the 15th best player (no better, no worse), would you take him. This is basically guaranteeing he isn't a bust. It also guarantees he isn't a superstar though, just a Ryan Kelly type of Guard. If you would take Conley, Humphrey, Reddick, Foster, or Davis, they could all be busts. In my scenario, Lamp is unquestionably guaranteed to be the 15th best player in the draft. Knowing that, you wouldn't take him there and would risk taking someone else?

If he was guaranteed to not be a pro-bowl level player? 100% I'd take someone else.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Fair enough, I will say no more :) 

To be fair you could replace Forrest Lamp with Myles Garrett and I'd still say no.

If they are guaranteed to not become a pro-bowl level player, I don't want them with #15.

Just now, UKColt13 said:

To be fair you could replace Forrest Lamp with Myles Garrett and I'd still say no.

If they are guaranteed to not become a pro-bowl level player, I don't want them with #15.

Well, it all depends on how good the other players are in the draft. The 15th best player in one draft could be much better than the 15th best in another. Without that vital piece of info, there's still some guessing to this hypothetical. You will never get a bad player this way, but based on the quality of the entire draft, only sometimes will you get a pro bowler with the 15th best player.

2 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

There are no guarantees at #15 in the draft.

I think we can still come out really well if we did manage to take Lamp with #15. Defense is pretty loaded in this draft and we could still come out with a top notch CB in round 2. Maybe move up and grab another 2nd rounder and take a linebacker or pass rusher. Just really depends. I would probably say absolutely not if Ballard signed a FA Guard during the off season but he didn't, so could be a possibility still.

4 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Yes. How do you judge whether he is 100% the best player in the draft though.

I haven't seen many people actually ranking him as a top 15 prospect unless I've missed it?

He's pretty often rated in the 10 - 15 range. Pretty sure even ESPN has him at like 12th. 

14 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

He's pretty often rated in the 10 - 15 range. Pretty sure even ESPN has him at like 12th. 

14th. It's the only one I've found in the top 15 though. Is there more?

Walter football have him 57th. 

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftbigboard

Cbs have him 30th

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings

26 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You can't trade down a couple spots, I said so in the opening post

Oy...why you gotta twist my arm?  Fine ya take him if he's far and away the best prospect.  If anyone at CB, Edge, LB is there and only a few ticks of a grade away, then I go with that position.  Otherwise, yes.

7 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

14th. It's the only one I've found in the top 15 though. Is there more?

Walter football have him 57th. 

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftbigboard

Yeah I think might have been 12th the other day because his grade was 91, now it says 90. Don't know why they tweaked him down. I think the Walter football ranking is kind of funny, criminally low. 

Anyways, the top contributor on the NFL draft page on reddit had Lamp at 12 in his March update. This is where he ranked the guys:

• #1 Leonard Fournette - LSU - Running back - (1)
  • #2 Myles Garrett - Texas A&M - EDGE - (2)
  • #3 Malik Hooker - Ohio State - Free Safety - (3)
  • #4 Malik McDowell - Michigan State - Interior Defensive Line - (4)
  • #5 Solomon Thomas - Stanford - EDGE - (6)
  • #6 Joe Mixon - Oklahoma - Running back - (7)
  • #7 David Njoku - Miami - Tight End - (8)
  • #8 Marshon Lattimore - Ohio State - Cornerback - (9)
  • #9 Cam Robinson - Alabama - Offensive Line - (10)
  • #10 Jamal Adams - LSU - Strong Safety - (5)
  • #11 DeShone Kizer - Notre Dame - Quarterback - (12)
  • #12 Forrest Lamp - Western Kentucky - Guard - (14)
  • #13 Mitch Trubisky - North Carolina - Quarterback - (17)
  • #14 Reuben Foster - Alabama - Off Ball Linebacker - (19)
  • #15 O.J. Howard - Alabama - Tight End - (20)
  • #16 Gareon Conley - Ohio State - Cornerback - (21)
  • #17 Carl Lawson - Auburn - EDGE - (13)
  • #18 Haason Reddick - Temple - Off Ball Linebacker - (23)
  • #19 Mike Williams - Clemson - Wide Receiver - (22)
  • #20 Dan Feeney - Indiana - Guard - (24)
  • #21 Corey Davis - Western Michigan - Wide Receiver - (25)
  • #22 Garett Bolles - Utah - Offensive Tackle - (32)
  • #23 Jonathan Allen - Alabama - Interior Defensive Line - (15)
  • #24 Tre' White - LSU - Cornerback - (33)
  • #25 John Ross - Washington - Wide Receiver - (34)
  • #26 Jarrad Davis - Florida - Off Ball Linebacker - (27)
  • #27 Zach Cunningham - Vanderbilt - Off Ball Linebacker - (28)
  • #28 Cordrea Tankerslay - Clemson - Cornerback - (29)
  • #29 Curtis Samuel - Ohio State - Scat Back - (52)
  • #30 Jalen Tabor - Florida - Cornerback - (11)
  • #31 Dalvin Cook - Florida State - Running back - (18)
  • #32 Evan Engram - Ole Miss - Tight End - (42)
  •  

I hate the idea of picking Lamp at #15...and I am sticking by it. Trading back several spots and drafting him I could live with...but not at 15. And it has nothing really to do with Lamp being a good prospect. I just can't get over the opportunity cost and value.

I can only go by scouting reports, not condition placed in the OP.  Lamp does appear to be round 1 material, and any help for the O line is not dismissed out of hand knowing the D needs help too.

FOREST LAMP–WESTERN KENTUCKY–RT
6035|309 lbs|5SR Venice, Fla. (Venice) 2/20/1994 (age 23) #76
YEAR (GP/GS) GRADE 1st Round
2012: Redshirted MEASUREABLES Arm: 32 1/4 | Hand: 10 5/8 | Wingspan: 77 7/8
2013: (12/12) 9 LT, 3 RG COMBINE 40-YD: 4.98 | 10-YD: 1.75 | 20-YD: 2.91 | BP: 34 | VJ: 27 1/2 | BJ: 09’03” | SS: 4.62 | 3C: 7.55
2014: (13/13) 13 LT PRO DAY N/A (positional drills only)
2015: (14/14) 14 LT
2016: (12/12) 12 LT
Total: (51/51) 48 LT, 3 RG
I see his best fit is to kick inside at the next level and I think the best interior OL’man in this draft. He plays with great technique, is athletic, plays with balance and a tough competitor who could also play center. Lamp checked in with short arms (32 1/4) but large hands (10 5/8) at the NFL Combine. He is really good on the move and can get to the second level. He doesn’t play with a strong power base but really is a nice athlete. The ankle injury which kept him from playing in the Senior Bowl has healed up fully. He fought through an ear infection at the Scouting combine. My scouting notes on him mirror that of Zach Martin when the Cowboys all pro guard came out of Notre Dame. His ability to sit and slide makes him a difficult obstacle for the opposing pass rush. He shows good anchor against bull rushes and moves his man in the run game. He plays with solid fundamentals and does a great job protecting his passer. Ideally he is best fitted as a guard in a zone-blocking scheme. He has good feet, is a sound technician and is very alert vs stunts and blitzes.

Landry has him pegged to be a guard.  Kelly surrounded by Mewhort and Lamp sounds nice for the interior.  Gives Luck room to step up into the pocket rather than tuck it and run. Question is, have we converted from power run to the ZBS yet?  I know it was something Colts were looking in at.

10 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

If he was guaranteed to not be a pro-bowl level player? 100% I'd take someone else.

I'm not worried about OL actually making Pro Bowls, but being a Pro Bowl level player is, IMO, a different story. Luck didn't make the Pro Bowl this year, but he was obviously a Pro Bowl level player.

Secondly, why isn't the 15th best player in a draft going to be a Pro Bowler??