Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts roster overhaul by Chris Ballard

TKnight24

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

how are jeffery, baldwin, hopkins and bryant ahead of him?

Don't forget Larry Fitz.   He is no longer in the elite class of WR's.   Hilton is not a top 3 WR, but he is in the top 10.  Not sure I'd put Bryant, Fitz or Balwin in the top 10.  

7 hours ago, aaron11 said:

pff isnt gospel i disagree with some of that.  he was better last year than several of those guys

how are jeffery, baldwin, hopkins and bryant ahead of him?

Hopkins has already been talked about so I wont go into it again. Jeffery and Bryant dont have much to back them up based on this years numbers. I can however, see the argument for Baldwin. 

Baldwin's score is based on the fact that he had over 1100 yards, caught a high % of targets (75.2%) and only had one official drop, all at a time when his QB was having a down year. Those are numbers that most WRs cant keep up with. When you NEED a pass caught, the numbers would indicate that he would be the guy you'd want to be throwing to.

For comparison:

Julio Jones - Target % caught: 64.3%, 3 drops

Amari Cooper - Target % caught: 62.9%, 3 drops

TY Hilton - Target % caught: 58.7%, 6 drops

Antonio Brown - Target % caught: 68.8%, 2 drops

DeAndre Hopkins - Target % caught: 51.7%, 4 drops

Mike Evans: - Target % caught: 55.5%, 7 drops

Odell Beckham Jr: - Target % caught: 59.8%, 6 drops

Considering our fan base is always complaining about how many drives have stalled due to dropped passes, we should be able to respect how important a sure handed WR is. 

On 4/17/2017 at 0:04 PM, rock8591 said:

It's a HUGE overhaul. Grigson would have tried to patch old wounds with aging veterans repeatedly until one of his drafts hit.

Here's my grade of the roster thusfar, with me being intentionally harsh.

grades.jpg

Just curious as to why you would say ty is elite but not Andrew? .. is it injuries? His turnovers? I don't think anything could convince me Andrew luck isn't elite especially if you think ty is just my opinion. Also I think Dorsett should be below average and kamar Aiken maybe could be a good starter if you consider moncrief to be one too but that makes sense that you didn't think that. 

17 hours ago, DougDew said:

Zak Keefer would bash Grigson at every opportunity, probably because Grigson didn't warm up to journalists, for one reason.  A personal dislike that went both ways, compromising journalistic professionalism, IMO.

I think the context of the tweet was a backhanded jab, the 40% turnover in one offseason implies the new GM is better than the old one simply by the measure that he recognizes underperformers. The term "overhaul" is typically used in a context when something is being improved, like a car engine.

Its not speculation to assume that drafting Green and Geathers meant Adams would be gone.  Or, that restructuring Art Jones' contract meant he would be evaluated objectively this offseason.  If Parry goes, is it because Ballard sees something that Grigson didn't, or because Parry has two charges pending?  DQs contract was written for management to make a decision this offseason...Grigson planned to make a decision on DQ this spring....so is it speculation to say that he would be cut?  To me, it seemed likely that he would be cut this spring back when Grigson wrote the contract.

Margus Hunt over Zach Kerr?  Is that an overhaul?...or is it simply swapping one marginally performing engine for another.

Walden's contract expired.  Cole was restructured last year and was being viewed objectively.  Replacing them with Simon and Sheard are "overhauls" that happen when the engine quits and you have to get a different engine anyway.

Signing Butler on a one year contract?  Grigson has done that for about three straight years now, and it was always a good signing.

Ballard signed Hankins and replaced Allen with Doyle.  These are two moves that I would credit to his decision making alone and weren't prompted by circumstances of expiring contracts or older players that any GM would evaluate in any offseason.  

It would be speculation that Grigson would NOT have acted exactly the same way with every other move other than Kerr, Allen, and Hankins, and its 50/50 that he would have also signed Hankins knowing Jones and Parry's issues.

IMO you are taking the term "overhaul" to technical. In football terms overhaul is just a nicer word than rebuild or a partial rebuild. GMs do not like to use those types of words and even use words like retool.

By using your own terminology when a motor is 40% not working then it needs overhauled.

When you are referring to a 53 man roster and you replace 40% of those players, there are countless words that can be used.

IMO Grigson did bring in some very good players and the final results are not totally known at this time. After going three 11-5 seasons and then backing them up with two 8-8 seasons Grigson couldn't find the right combination of talent at just a few positions and it cost him his job. Was he as bad as some say? No, not really when you look at the roster right now.

Will Ballard do a better job? Who knows?  Some thinking he is the big savior is not cut in stone just yet. When Grigson went three straight 11-5 seasons and winning a GM of the year his first season everyone including me thought he was doing great. Then comes two 8-8 seasons and all hades breaks loose and next thing he was the root of all evil.

15 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Dez Bryant is a top 10 WR

Borderline at best.    He's only played 2 full seasons in his 7 in the league.  

I guess I'm judging it by the fact that I would take 10 other WR's before I took Dez.  

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO you are taking the term "overhaul" to technical. In football terms overhaul is just a nicer word than rebuild or a partial rebuild. GMs do not like to use those types of words and even use words like retool.

By using your own terminology when a motor is 40% not working then it needs overhauled.

When you are referring to a 53 man roster and you replace 40% of those players, there are countless words that can be used.

IMO Grigson did bring in some very good players and the final results are not totally known at this time. After going three 11-5 seasons and then backing them up with two 8-8 seasons Grigson couldn't find the right combination of talent at just a few positions and it cost him his job. Was he as bad as some say? No, not really when you look at the roster right now.

Will Ballard do a better job? Who knows?  Some thinking he is the big savior is not cut in stone just yet. When Grigson went three straight 11-5 seasons and winning a GM of the year his first season everyone including me thought he was doing great. Then comes two 8-8 seasons and all hades breaks loose and next thing he was the root of all evil.

I think Keefer was attributing the 40% turnover to Ballard and his decision making/insight when much of the turnover was prompted by expiring contracts, contracts that were meant to be terminated this spring, or older players who already restructured.

For example, our 3 OLBs from last season:  Mathis retired, Walden's contract expired, and Cole was on his way out anyway.  Any GM is going to sign replacements during the offseason. 

DQ was scheduled to be cut this spring.  Spence is signed.

Getting new engine parts when the other parts have disappeared sort of happens out of necessity, not because of superior insight.