Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts roster overhaul by Chris Ballard

TKnight24

I don't think that's an accurate measurement of the roster overhaul.  

The accurate measurement is what the roster looks like when the actual regular season starts.

Also Ballard hasn't actually done that big of an overhaul.  Most of the guys he let go of where guys that obviously needed to go and Grigson would have probably gotten rid of himself.

Most controversial moves have been not tendering Zach Kerr and Trading Dwayne Allen.  

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

It's a HUGE overhaul. Grigson would have tried to patch old wounds with aging veterans repeatedly until one of his drafts hit.

Here's my grade of the roster thusfar, with me being intentionally harsh.

grades.jpg

Looks pretty accurate to me;  I don't think you're being harsh at all.

It's a HUGE overhaul. Grigson would have tried to patch old wounds with aging veterans repeatedly until one of his drafts hit.

grades.jpg

Perhaps I would put Hankins at Solid/High Quality starter as he is definitely among the top 15 NTs in the league without a doubt. I would also put Butler at good starter based on his work at the safety position and his potential role in covering TEs and RBs in our defense. 

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

The accurate measurement is what the roster looks like when the actual regular season starts.

Also Ballard hasn't actually done that big of an overhaul.  Most of the guys he let go of where guys that obviously needed to go and Grigson would have probably gotten rid of himself.

Most controversial moves have been not tendering Zach Kerr and Trading Dwayne Allen.  

I think it's pretty speculative to say what Grigs would/would not have done.  I agree with you that the opening day roster is when you decide how big of an overhaul we had, but disagree that this isn't already a big overhaul.

Who knows that Grigs would've let Art Jones go or release DQ or not pursued Walden?  (I would hope he'd have done all 3)  Who knows that Grigs wouldn't have gone for a bunch of big name guys and former Philadelphia scrubs? 

Already going into next year we will automatically have a new CB2, a new starter at ILB (perhaps 2) and two new starters at OLB.  Likely (assuming Hankins doesn't get hurt or bust) we'll have at least new starting DL.  That is 5 guaranteed new starters on D (probably all 5 will be new faces, the only non-guarantee is CB2 if Melvin wins out and potentially ILB if Morrison steps up) with the possibility that we have 6 or 7 new starters on D coming from elsewhere.

We have potentially one new starter on O already (Aiken at WR, IMO has a shot at competing with Moncrief and Dorsett), and we will likely have a new face at TE and perhaps along the OL before all is said and done. 

We also have a new starting punter (McAffee retired, so this isn't on Ballard so much).

Anyway, it's likely that at least 50% of the starting D will be new faces next year -- big overhaul if you ask me.

grades.jpg

I would put TJ Green as an unknown if L. Clark is also an unknown.  TJ Green was thrown in too early last year, he didn't perform well, but he wasn't drafted to come in and contribute as a rookie.  Otherwise, I agree with most of your assessment. 

I hope Melvin isn't our CB2 come opening day.  I applaud the job Ballard has done.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Accurately spoken.

3 hours ago, rock8591 said:

grades.jpg

To proper gauge the roster, I think Chris Ballard should use this as a cheat sheet come draft time! 

11 hours ago, rock8591 said:

grades.jpg

Need to remove Overton and add Fortunato

17 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

How can you say a 40% move is not an overhaul?

To speculate what Grigson would have done is exactly that, speculation.

I seem to recall the HOF GM named Polian kept and overpaid a lot of players and it cost him and son their jobs. Who is to say that Grigson would or wouldn't have done the same thing trying to prove himself? Polians pride was his fault and his downfall. Maybe Irsay does have a memory?

Just a thought.

20 hours ago, rock8591 said:

grades.jpg

What is really encouraging is that most on your list have a greater chance of moving up than do down.

5 hours ago, Myles said:

What is really encouraging is that most on your list have a greater chance of moving up than do down.

Yeah, I went harsh on purpose. e.g. listing Hankins as good instead of solid...listing Ridgeway and Langford as average instead of good. And Butler as average instead of good (at safety). Also Kelly as good instead of solid, Luck at solid instead of elite.

2 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Yeah, I went harsh on purpose. e.g. listing Hankins as good instead of solid...listing Ridgeway and Langford as average instead of good. And Butler as average instead of good (at safety). Also Kelly as good instead of solid, Luck at solid instead of elite.

And you have T.Y. Hilton at elite?

1 hour ago, Virtuoso80 said:

And you have T.Y. Hilton at elite?

He's 100% elite, top 3 WR in the league. The only ones I would put above him are Julio Jones and Antonio Brown, but even that is arguable IMO. Also despite being very small at 5'9'' 178 lbs, he has missed almost no games his entire career.

And led the league in yards last season.

If that's not elite, then I don't know what is.

6 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

He's 100% elite, top 3 WR in the league. The only ones I would put above him are Julio Jones and Antonio Brown, but even that is arguable IMO. Also despite being very small at 5'9'' 178 lbs, he has missed almost no games his entire career.

And led the league in yards last season.

If that's not elite, then I don't know what is.

He is not top 3 I'm sorry but you are just being a damn big homer 

5 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Luck is elite. The season he just had was elite. 

10 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Leading the league in yards isn't enough to make you a top 3 WR 

Thats hilarious!  I'm still laughing.  

TY - you're going to have to figure out a way to be better than #1 to be elite!  Try harder, you can do it!

So much goes into a player's assessment: health, scheme,age, continuity with other starters, coaching, etc. We don't even know who will start, at this point. It's going to take time for this team to gel, once the starters are named. But the potential is there for a 3-4 game improvement.

On 4/18/2017 at 5:09 AM, crazycolt1 said:

How can you say a 40% move is not an overhaul?

To speculate what Grigson would have done is exactly that, speculation.

I seem to recall the HOF GM named Polian kept and overpaid a lot of players and it cost him and son their jobs. Who is to say that Grigson would or wouldn't have done the same thing trying to prove himself? Polians pride was his fault and his downfall. Maybe Irsay does have a memory?

Just a thought.

Zak Keefer would bash Grigson at every opportunity, probably because Grigson didn't warm up to journalists, for one reason.  A personal dislike that went both ways, compromising journalistic professionalism, IMO.

I think the context of the tweet was a backhanded jab, the 40% turnover in one offseason implies the new GM is better than the old one simply by the measure that he recognizes underperformers. The term "overhaul" is typically used in a context when something is being improved, like a car engine.

Its not speculation to assume that drafting Green and Geathers meant Adams would be gone.  Or, that restructuring Art Jones' contract meant he would be evaluated objectively this offseason.  If Parry goes, is it because Ballard sees something that Grigson didn't, or because Parry has two charges pending?  DQs contract was written for management to make a decision this offseason...Grigson planned to make a decision on DQ this spring....so is it speculation to say that he would be cut?  To me, it seemed likely that he would be cut this spring back when Grigson wrote the contract.

Margus Hunt over Zach Kerr?  Is that an overhaul?...or is it simply swapping one marginally performing engine for another.

Walden's contract expired.  Cole was restructured last year and was being viewed objectively.  Replacing them with Simon and Sheard are "overhauls" that happen when the engine quits and you have to get a different engine anyway.

Signing Butler on a one year contract?  Grigson has done that for about three straight years now, and it was always a good signing.

Ballard signed Hankins and replaced Allen with Doyle.  These are two moves that I would credit to his decision making alone and weren't prompted by circumstances of expiring contracts or older players that any GM would evaluate in any offseason.  

It would be speculation that Grigson would NOT have acted exactly the same way with every other move other than Kerr, Allen, and Hankins, and its 50/50 that he would have also signed Hankins knowing Jones and Parry's issues.

15 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Luck is elite. The season he just had was elite. 

Having only T.Y. Hilton elite but not Luck?  Luck led the league in TD passes in 2014, was 3rd in passing yards that same year as well.  Was hurt in 2015 so missed half the season, and comes back in 2016, has the year last year while dealing with the shoulder issue, which he had surgery in January to fix, and also being sacked 41 times last year (2nd most).

46 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

pff isnt gospel i disagree with some of that.  he was better last year than several of those guys

how are jeffery, baldwin, hopkins and bryant ahead of him?

You seriously wouldn't take Hopkins over Hilton? Have you seen what he's done with trash QBs? I'm taking Hopkins and throwing up jump balls all day. 

6 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

You seriously wouldn't take Hopkins over Hilton? Have you seen what he's done with trash QBs? I'm taking Hopkins and throwing up jump balls all day. 

it would be a close call with hopkins, i would definitely take him over the others i listed