Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we draft a RB

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With Cook,I would say limited snaps in the beginning of the seaon,until he gets up to speed. Increasing his workload as the season progresses,to phase out Gore, as the starternext season. With McCaffery its a whole different animal. I see him as a scatback,pass catcher. Bring him in on third down as a change of pace.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

If it's someone like Cook or McCaffrey,  I believe they'd start.       Maybe not week 1,  but soon enough.

And Gore would become the complimentary running back.

That's what should happen but I believe Gore will asked to be released or retire if he doesn't start.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

If it's someone like Cook or McCaffrey,  I believe they'd start.       Maybe not week 1,  but soon enough.

And Gore would become the complimentary running back.

Agreed. You don't sit a RB like that. You get them going immediately. Use Gore as a goal line back.

Just now, Colts1324 said:

That's what should happen but I believe Gore will asked to be released or retire if he doesn't start.

He might,  but I don't think that's Gore's nature to do that,  especially not at this point in his career.

I could be wrong,   I'm guessing,   but I don't see that happening....

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

thats true regardless of what position we take

if we do happen to take cook or LF in the first they would start over gore

No it's not.  If you take a non vital position, one that's an easy transition from college to the pros, you better start day one.  I could see a pass rusher splitting time with Sheard to begin with.

Gore can take a back seat for sure, round one running back should start day 1, i doubt we take a RB though. We have Gore and Turbin, with Ferguson to change it up, i think thats good enough in Ballards mind, i think he focuses on the defense 90-100% with this years draft, there is too much depth and we have too many needs, unless Fournette drops to us, then i dont think you can pass, or trade down to the next team who wants him for a boat load of picks.

13 minutes ago, BOTT said:

No it's not.  If you take a non vital position, one that's an easy transition from college to the pros, you better start day one.  I could see a pass rusher splitting time with Sheard to begin with.

i wouldnt want to take a pass rusher that isnt a clear starter over what we have now

im really not blown away by the edge rushers this year either outside of the top two or three that will be gone by our pick. i would rather get one of the top two ILBs than say the fourth or fifth edge rusher

if all of the above are gone, then i could live with somebody like takk but would rather we take the best player on the board and not just draft for need. 

4 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i'm just gonna say this. If CB drafts a RB round 1 or 2 being the Defensive happy type person he is. i will take my dirty sock off my foot that day and stuff it in my mouth. No Joke (cough hope he goes defensive) :peek:

We want pics if it happens lol should have narrowed it down to just the first cuz I can very easily see one taken in the second lol

I think the way our coaches and our GM has been talking about adding a running back in the draft it seems as though its likely that we will pick somebody up in the later rounds that will split time with Gore and then potentially start over the course of the season.

It just makes sense from our current team standpoint where we already have a starter at RB, old yes, but still is our starter at this point in time. Now when I say we avoid clear cut RB starters in the first two rounds I mean something like avoid Cook or Fournette who are 20-25 carries a game type guys. We can easily pick up McCaffrey and install him into the offense in a way that he gets his touches AND Gore still gets his as a starter which then can slowly change as the season progresses. You could even argue the same for a Mixon situation if we draft him in the 2nd or 3rd. 

I find it highly unlikely we draft Cook or Fournette (though if Fournette drops to 15 he would certainly be an interesting choice and potentially a steal) because then we almost have to immediately put them over Gore and it makes for a tricky situation. 

If we draft a RB in round 1 he starts.  In fact no matter who we draft first should start.  I could also see us trading Gore during the draft to get another pick if we take a running back 1st. or possibly if we select one in the second rd. as well.  Seattle and NE are two teams that come to mind that would be candidates to trade for him.  Might as well try to get something for him since it would be his last year on our roster regardless.  Assuming we draft a RB in either of the first two rounds I think we trade him before the season starts if it's not done during the draft. 

30 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

This is like the 17th thread about taking a RB in the 1st. It was silly 2 months ago it's silly now. 

Why?  Are you saying it's silly that we'd take a RB at 1?  The there are a lot of professional analysts being silly.  

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I'm not for drafting a RB in the 1st round. Preferably not the second. But if we draft a running back in the 1st or 2nd round, say Dalvin Cook or Christian McCaffery, what do you guys think we will do with Gore? Who will start? 

If it's  Fournette, Cook or Mixon, they are the starters regardless what the depth chart or pags may say.

41 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

This is like the 17th thread about taking a RB in the 1st. It was silly 2 months ago it's silly now. 

It was a post asking what we think we would do with the new RB and gore with starting and carries. Hardly an over discussed topic

31 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Why?  Are you saying it's silly that we'd take a RB at 1?  The there are a lot of professional analysts being silly.  

Yes I am. 

21 minutes ago, twfish said:

It was a post asking what we think we would do with the new RB and gore with starting and carries. Hardly an over discussed topic

But there will be no new RB lol. Atleast not in the 1st. 

23 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yes I am. 

But there will be no new RB lol. Atleast not in the 1st. 

The 2nd was also mentioned and it brings up a good point. And I'd put money there's gunna be a running back. Let me ask you a question though. Your under the basis that a running back isn't worth a first rounder right?

4 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i'm just gonna say this. If CB drafts a RB round 1 or 2 being the Defensive happy type person he is. i will take my dirty sock off my foot that day and stuff it in my mouth. No Joke (cough hope he goes defensive) :peek:

I almost want him to draft one just to see this!  haha 

2 hours ago, twfish said:

Thank you. I try to make sure my topics aren't the same as the others. I haven't seen anybody mention what would happen to Gore. And I think it's important because this very well could happen after the draft.

I really don't see Gore wanting to take a back seat. He would get 6-8 carries a game. He expects probably 15. I wonder if he'd retire, we would cut him, or would he just stick around for the final year of his contract. 

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

If it's  Fournette, Cook or Mixon, they are the starters regardless what the depth chart or pags may say.

Mixon is a straight up baller, but it's hard for me to want a player like that after seeing his arrogance and him hit a woman like that. I don't see how Luck or the team would fare having someone like that. 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

A lot of analysts do have us projected to take a RB. But I truly do think that our mocks are probably just as accurate as their mock drafts are. They have no idea what is going to happen just as we don't. It isn't silly tho. It very well could happen. I personally doubt Ballard drafts one in round 1 tho. Unless Fournette dropped to our pick. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If we draft a RB in round 1 he starts.  In fact no matter who we draft first should start.  I could also see us trading Gore during the draft to get another pick if we take a running back 1st. or possibly if we select one in the second rd. as well.  Seattle and NE are two teams that come to mind that would be candidates to trade for him.  Might as well try to get something for him since it would be his last year on our roster regardless.  Assuming we draft a RB in either of the first two rounds I think we trade him before the season starts if it's not done during the draft. 

I wouldn't be opposed to that. But I really doubt that happens because I wouldn't be surprised if either of those teams draft a RB in the draft. If I was a GM, I would rather spend my pick on a young RB than a RB who has 1-2 years left. 

And if our 1st round pick doesn't beat out the others in training camp, no he shouldn't start. Nor will he. Ballard has made it clear that he and Pagano have preached open competition to all of the players this year. I believe them. That's how you build a monster. 

But I get what you are saying. I'd be disappointed if he didn't start. A 1st round player should almost always be ready to start other than a QB. 

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i wouldnt want to take a pass rusher that isnt a clear starter over what we have now

im really not blown away by the edge rushers this year either outside of the top two or three that will be gone by our pick. i would rather get one of the top two ILBs than say the fourth or fifth edge rusher

if all of the above are gone, then i could live with somebody like takk but would rather we take the best player on the board and not just draft for need. 

I think corner is the position to go if we can pull off one of the top 2 corners at number 15. I would be very happy with Derek Barnett as an edge rusher tho. Foster or Reddick are 2 great picks as well IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think corner is the position to go if we can pull off one of the top 2 corners at number 15. I would be very happy with Derek Barnett as an edge rusher tho. 

lol thats right. A Corner in round 1, A DE in round 2,And no dirty socks for me whoooooo lets roll colts 

RBBC for Dalvin.

3rd down and change of pace for McCaffrey. Similar to Darren Sproles role. Would be split out wide a lot and used as a gadget player on screens. 

If we took one one in the 1st, I'd hope it would be McCaffey.