Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning and the Rams???

chad72

So sick of writers using the "suck for luck" excuse. Such crap, sure all those people involved losing their jobs were top priority. On the flip side, I sure hope Peyton doesn't do it out of my own selfishness. Still would love to see him join the Colts again in some fashion.

What a crap article. The Colts not desirable because of Irsay? Tells me this writer knows absolutely nothing about how NFL people really feel about this franchise and that Manning and Irsay have a really good relationship. Typical large market bias thinking they are better than everyone else despite the fact that their franchise is a dumpster fire.

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

What a crap article. The Colts not desirable because of Irsay? Tells me this writer knows absolutely nothing about how NFL people really feel about this franchise and that Manning and Irsay have a really good relationship. Typical large market bias thinking they are better than everyone else despite the fact that their franchise is a dumpster fire.

I agree. Ever since DeflateGate the media has piled on us in a ridiculous fashion. All we did was report something and Brady ended up serving his suspension so basically he wasn't found of no wrong doing. Also since that happened the REFS have found everyway to stick it to us as well. I remember at least 10 plays over the last 2 seasons where we had huge game changing plays and the REFS threw a bogus flag wiping those out. Anyway to your point, since Irsay took over as owner we have the 2nd most wins as a franchise and a SB win. He also treated Peyton like gold, paid him 25 million dollars in 2011 for not playing a down as gratitude for the all the years Peyton gave us. He could've cut Peyton and not paid him that money if he was really a jerk. Irsay also was behind drafting Peyton over Leaf and Andrew over RG3, 2 huge decisions. If he goes the other way we probably don't have a franchise here in Indy. It was 50/50 between Peyton and Leaf, luckily we had a smart owner that wasn't sold on Leaf.

28 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

While I don't think Manning is joining the Rams FO(or any FO) I don't know why its so hard to believe that he might find it awkward to put himself a position to work with a former team. What if it doesn't work out? Then Irsay will have to dump him again. I really don't see Manning wanting to put himself in a position that would make him possibly look bad. 

He might want to actually enjoy life and is not sure what he wants and that's okay. 

If anything this should finally show everyone that Brad Wells may be full of it once and for all. In Colts twitterverse other Colts fans have been using him as a reliable source that Manning will return to the Colts as a VP etc before the draft. Yet he had no idea Grigson would be fired among other things.

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. Ever since DeflateGate the media has piled on us in a ridiculous fashion. All we did was report something and Brady ended up serving his suspension so basically he wasn't found of no wrong doing. Also since that happened the REFS have found everyway to stick it to us as well. I remember at least 10 plays over the last 2 seasons where we had huge game changing plays and the REFS threw a bogus flag wiping those out. Anyway to your point, since Irsay took over as owner we have the 2nd most wins as a franchise and a SB win. He also treated Peyton like gold, paid him 25 million dollars in 2011 for not playing a down as gratitude for the all the years Peyton gave us. He could've cut Peyton and not paid him that money if he was really a jerk. Irsay also was behind drafting Peyton over Leaf and Andrew over RG3, 2 huge decisions. If he goes the other way we probably don't have a franchise here in Indy. It was 50/50 between Peyton and Leaf, luckily we had a smart owner that wasn't sold on Leaf.

Also, trying to paint Jim Irsay as a bad owner when your owner is Stan Kroenke is laughable.

15 minutes ago, CF4L said:

While I don't think Manning is joining the Rams FO(or any FO) I don't know why its so hard to believe that he might find it awkward to put himself a position to work with a former team. What if it doesn't work out? Then Irsay will have to dump him again. I really don't see Manning wanting to put himself in a position that would make him possibly look bad. 

He might want to actually enjoy life and is not sure what he wants and that's okay. 

If anything this should finally show everyone that Brad Wells may be full of it once and for all. In Colts twitterverse other Colts fans have been using him as a reliable source that Manning will return to the Colts as a VP etc before the draft. Yet he had no idea Grigson would be fired among other things.

I can tell you think Irsay did Peyton dirty by your past Posts. Let me ask you this, lets say Irsay would've decided to keep Peyton and just passed on Drafting Luck #1 would you then think differently about Irsay and like him? You know with that #1 pick we would've probably took Trent Richardson since he went 3rd had we kept Peyton. Then we have a bust in the making and no Andrew Luck and an aging Peyton that is playing on a bad team.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Irsay uses twitter.  Other owners do not.  Obviously means he 's crazy.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

He has homes all over the country.   

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Money, Power, Glory, Ego etc...etc...

all I've ever read is that he has ties to NOLA and the state if Tennessee..

........he's a hero there....he could do almost anything her wanted

..when you have to move the family to a new place............well, I just don't see it happening

..Does Peyton still live in Denver

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can tell you think Irsay did Peyton dirty by your past Posts. Let me ask you this, lets say Irsay would've decided to keep Peyton and just passed on Drafting Luck #1 would you then think differently about Irsay and like him? You know with that #1 pick we would've probably took Trent Richardson since he went 3rd had we kept Peyton. Then we have a bust in the making and no Andrew Luck and an aging Peyton that is playing on a bad team.

Clearly you don't read because if you did you would know that I never had an issue with the actual decision I had an issue with Irsay's comments after Manning left about Manning only winning 1 SB.

If anything I think the only person that gained the most out of all of this was Manning he got to go to 2 SBs and win another. I doubt that's what Irsay had in mind when he made the decision. 

We did him a favor but I doubt that was the plan. The plan was to go for the younger guy and win it all with him(see Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers) while the old guy faded to oblivion and not win an SB not the other way around.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

all I've ever read is that he has ties to NOLA and the state if Tennessee..

........he's a hero there....he could do almost anything her wanted

..when you have to move the family to a new place............well, I just don't see it happening

..Does Peyton still live in Denver

Peyton still lives in Denver but a reporter for the Rams posted this

FYI on #Rams Petyon Manning: Manning is friends with both GM Les Snead and HC Sean McVay. His visits to #Rams HQ is visiting with friends

13 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Clearly you don't read because if you did you would know that I never had an issue with the actual decision I had an issue with Irsay's comments after Manning left about Manning only winning 1 SB.

If anything I think the only person that gained the most out of all of this was Manning he got to go to 2 SBs and win another. I doubt that's what Irsay had in mind when he made the decision. 

We did him a favor but I doubt that was the plan. The plan was to go for the younger guy and win it all with him(see Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers) while the old guy faded to oblivion and not win an SB not the other way around.

Good God I give up, Happy Easter.

15 hours ago, CF4L said:

I believe that 99% know that Brad Wells is full of it.  However, I would be very surprised if Manning would find it awkward working for the Colts and stunned if he ever went into a job thinking what if it doesn't work out.

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To be fair, the Chargers had Manning rated higher as well and they had contacted the Colts about a trade so they could get Manning and they where told that it wasn't happening.

The Media played it as Manning vs. Leaf but the actual NFL teams seemed to have rated Manning better.  

That said I doubt any of them felt that Leaf was going to flame out as badly as he did.  

"No credible sources have reported this yet, but it doesn’t seem entirely outrageous".

------------ Now, doesn't that one line throw this article in the trash? The trouble with the internet is everything is true until proven not true.

On 4/17/2017 at 8:35 AM, Valpo2004 said:

To be fair, the Chargers had Manning rated higher as well and they had contacted the Colts about a trade so they could get Manning and they where told that it wasn't happening.

The Media played it as Manning vs. Leaf but the actual NFL teams seemed to have rated Manning better.  

That said I doubt any of them felt that Leaf was going to flame out as badly as he did.  

Not entirely accurate 

http://thebiglead.com/2012/03/30/remember-14-years-ago-when-a-majority-of-gms-said-they-would-take-ryan-leaf-over-peyton-manning/

People say this now but back then it was a close call. Now Luck/RG3 yeah most thought Luck would be better and I think that debate is over.

On 4/17/2017 at 7:24 AM, Cynjin said:

I believe that 99% know that Brad Wells is full of it.  However, I would be very surprised if Manning would find it awkward working for the Colts and stunned if he ever went into a job thinking what if it doesn't work out.

I don't get why its that surprising. Jeff Saturday was offered a job here he didn't take it and unlike Manning played for another team half a season and chose to retire here after it ended. Some players don't want to rock the good standing they already have. Its a cutthroat business. If you succeed great if you don't you are out the door and past accolades mean very little.

If Manning doesn't think something would work out he wouldn't do it(broadcasting, politics, joining the 49ers) 

People just want to put him somewhere when he probably doesn't have an idea what he wants to do just yet. 

On 4/16/2017 at 3:38 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Playing devils advocate here:

Actually the Colts were offered nearly Hershal Walker type of deals for that first pick.   I think at least 2 teams were willing to give their whole draft for the pick.   It would be interesting to see what could have happened.  

On 4/16/2017 at 1:31 PM, coltsfan77 said:

So sick of writers using the "suck for luck" excuse. Such crap, sure all those people involved losing their jobs were top priority. On the flip side, I sure hope Peyton doesn't do it out of my own selfishness. Still would love to see him join the Colts again in some fashion.

Whatever you believe, outside of this fan base, most NFL fans will always believe the Colts truly did tank that year since "Suck for Luck" was even on T-shirts and a big movement online at the time. That was a glorious tank job, no one could've accomplished it better or had a better slogan than "Suck for Luck". Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter. lmao

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Actually the Colts were offered nearly Hershal Walker type of deals for that first pick.   I think at least 2 teams were willing to give their whole draft for the pick.   It would be interesting to see what could have happened.  

Correct. The Browns are the main team who offered to throw their entire draft to the Colts to get Luck. 

5 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Whatever you believe, outside of this fan base, most NFL fans will always believe the Colts truly did tank that year since "Suck for Luck" was even on T-shirts and a big movement online at the time. That was a glorious tank job, no one could've accomplished it better or had a better slogan than "Suck for Luck". Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter. lmao

Correct. The Browns are the main team who offered to throw their entire draft to the Colts to get Luck. 

The coach and GM wouldn't have been fired if they were tanking.  Anyone with a brain can figure that out

4 hours ago, Myles said:

Yeah I didn't even think about that, great point!

On 4/18/2017 at 7:44 PM, CF4L said:

I don't get why its that surprising. Jeff Saturday was offered a job here he didn't take it and unlike Manning played for another team half a season and chose to retire here after it ended. Some players don't want to rock the good standing they already have. Its a cutthroat business. If you succeed great if you don't you are out the door and past accolades mean very little.

If Manning doesn't think something would work out he wouldn't do it(broadcasting, politics, joining the 49ers) 

People just want to put him somewhere when he probably doesn't have an idea what he wants to do just yet. 

It would be surprising if he found it awkward, he may not want to work for the Colts, for other reasons.  However, I doubt finding it awkward or worrying about what if it doesn't work out are among the reasons.

On 4/16/2017 at 9:07 PM, CF4L said:

So a guy makes a comment and you read too much into it and assume things about irsay. Sounds like you're too loyal to Peyton Mannings feelings. 

If you like what Ballard is doing by going young and cutting players, then you really got your feelings hurt based off of fandom. 

Its not like irsay didn't want Peyton to win a SB. There is a good reason to take Andrew in that spot. Peyton just retired 2 seasons ago, and their aren't any QB worthy players like Andrew in the time span of the last 4 years. Take Andrew. Stop holding a grudge over spilt milk. 

7 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

So a guy makes a comment and you read too much into it and assume things about irsay. Sounds like you're too loyal to Peyton Mannings feelings. 

If you like what Ballard is doing by going young and cutting players, then you really got your feelings hurt based off of fandom. 

Its not like irsay didn't want Peyton to win a SB. There is a good reason to take Andrew in that spot. Peyton just retired 2 seasons ago, and their aren't any QB worthy players like Andrew in the time span of the last 4 years. Take Andrew. Stop holding a grudge over spilt milk. 

Again you really don't read I never had a problem with them moving on from Peyton to Andrew but his comments afterwards really were ungrateful.

Reading too much into Irsay saying he wanted players who wanted more than 1 ring? Really? He said it. If it was anyone else but the Colts you would talk about how ungrateful he was.

And no I don't think Irsay or any owner wants to watch a former player they dumped and talked about how great it was to move on from them win an SB while their team has regressed afterwards.

I mean there are people who think less of Jerry for not "doing right" by Romo despite the fact no owner wants to let go of a player they think could get them something in return for nothing. 

Irsay did what 31 other teams did in the process but you don't need to crap on the past to prop up the present even the Patriots didn't do that to Drew Bledsoe they didn't have to they have 5 SB trophies that tell them it was the right move.

I don't feel bad for Peyton the Colts dumped him they did him a favor I think people here can't admit that this move benefitted him more than it has us at this point in time but it wasn't intended to be that way though.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, CF4L said:

You put your own meaning into what Irsay meant when he made that statement.

It was taken out of context by you and a few more.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:52 PM, jvan1973 said:

The coach and GM wouldn't have been fired if they were tanking.  Anyone with a brain can figure that out

The only one's who believe the "suck for Luck" nonsense are the one's who didn't watch Colt games.

Had the Colts really 'tanked' then Collins would have stayed the starter.

4 hours ago, corgi said:

No offense to anyone who lives in Indiana but, I'd rather live in California than the Midwest. I live in Va and it's too cold for me here. 

No offense taken, I would prefer Florida actually. No state tax, and great weather. Maybe somewhere in Orlando or near Cocoa Beach will do - awesome place. Why Dwight Howard ever left that place is puzzling.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

You put your own meaning into what Irsay meant when he made that statement.

It was taken out of context by you and a few more.

Yeah sure all of us who think this are wrong apparently... if most people think this then maybe that's how Irsay felt. Which is fine he didn't say anything the media didn't already say themselves but at least own it.

10 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Yeah sure all of us who think this are wrong apparently... if most people think this then maybe that's how Irsay felt. Which is fine he didn't say anything the media didn't already say themselves but at least own it.

If you don't know by now the media has always had a problem with Irsay then I really can't explain anything to you.

It started with his father and has never ended even though Jim is totally different than his father Bob was.

I highly doubt you have an extensive knowledge of what the Colts were and what was thought of Bob Irsay in Baltimore.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No offense taken, I would prefer Florida actually. No state tax, and great weather. Maybe somewhere in Orlando or near Cocoa Beach will do - awesome place. Why Dwight Howard ever left that place is puzzling.

Every time I visit Orlando for vacation I spend the following weeks searching for jobs down there. 

6 hours ago, CF4L said:

Again you really don't read

Again? 

It did benefit peyton tremendously. But to act like Peyton would have endured the beating Andrew has is crazy. Drafting Luck has benefited us as much as letting Peyton go benefited him. Yeah we don't have a SB, but you think we would have one with Peyton? It took Peyton almost 10 years to get to a SB with us. We don't have near as good of a defense as the broncos. Or the running game.  I don't think we missed out. I'm still a Peyton fan. Love the guy. But the colts are first for me. 

I can can see where you're coming from though.