Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Board

Just wondering how many draft boards do we have in the war room?  1. BPA.  2. Need. 3. BPA by need. 4. Need with BPA (similar to #3 but ranking with need first).  I have to assume that injury, character and other concerns would already be factored into the rankings.  Wonder how many names are on - I got to say minimum of 300/325.  After the draft is completed would the remaining names/players be our priority FA's?  Then do we also have an undrafted FA's ranking board?  Would that be similar to the draft board.  1. Need. 2. BPA. 3. Pitch count (AV legs and AL arm).  Thank you.  Just thinking out loud!

3 hours ago, 100GFB said:

Just wondering how many draft boards do we have in the war room?  1. BPA.  2. Need. 3. BPA by need. 4. Need with BPA (similar to #3 but ranking with need first).  I have to assume that injury, character and other concerns would already be factored into the rankings.  Wonder how many names are on - I got to say minimum of 300/325.  After the draft is completed would the remaining names/players be our priority FA's?  Then do we also have an undrafted FA's ranking board?  Would that be similar to the draft board.  1. Need. 2. BPA. 3. Pitch count (AV legs and AL arm).  Thank you.  Just thinking out loud!

Here is what I believe....   to be clear,  I am not 100% sure....

There is one main board with players listed by BPA with specific grades that are down to very small fractions.

So,  for example player 50 might have a grade of 5.93 and play 51 might have a grade of 5.92 and so on.   Most grades are not this close,  but when they are close,  that's when they become small fractions.

I believe teams also have BPA by position.....    so,  QB, RB,  WR,  TE, C, G and T on offense.    Same breakdown on defense and of course,  special teams.      Grades are listed here as well.

I think the main Big Board is roughly 500-1000 players.   I think the final total varies from team to team.    Roughly 250 get drafted and then another 400-500 players are signed as Free Agents.

When the draft is over,  yes,  those players who have draft-able grades (it's a different number every year and it's different for every team every year as well)   those guys are the top priority to sign as free agents.    For example,  last year the Colts had a 4th round grade for RB Josh Ferguson.    He was a priority.    But teams still need camp bodies,  so even players with lesser grades need to be signed for the 90 man roster.

I've tried to address all your questions,  but if I've confused you in any way,  or if you have more questions,  please feel free to ask....    I'll try to help....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here is what I believe....   to be clear,  I am not 100% sure....

There is one main board with players listed by BPA with specific grades that are down to very small fractions.

So,  for example player 50 might have a grade of 5.93 and play 51 might have a grade of 5.92 and so on.   Most grades are not this close,  but when they are close,  that's when they become small fractions.

I believe teams also have BPA by position.....    so,  QB, RB,  WR,  TE, C, G and T on offense.    Same breakdown on defense and of course,  special teams.      Grades are listed here as well.

I think the main Big Board is roughly 500-1000 players.   I think the final total varies from team to team.    Roughly 250 get drafted and then another 400-500 players are signed as Free Agents.

When the draft is over,  yes,  those players who have draft-able grades (it's a different number every year and it's different for every team every year as well)   those guys are the top priority to sign as free agents.    For example,  last year the Colts had a 4th round grade for RB Josh Ferguson.    He was a priority.    But teams still need camp bodies,  so even players with lesser grades need to be signed for the 90 man roster.

I've tried to address all your questions,  but if I've confused you in any way,  or if you have more questions,  please feel free to ask....    I'll try to help....

Thanks NCF.  Basically that was going thru my mind.  Prepare and attack at every angle.

2 hours ago, twfish said:

Wouldn't it be something to be a fly on the wall in there during all of this organized chaos?

Lol!  I could think of other things besides a fly but I won't go there!  Really I wouldn't mind sitting in the war room.  Like you mentioned it would be total chaos and many wth moments!  Thank you!

2 minutes ago, 100GFB said:

Thanks NCF.  Basically that was going thru my mind.  Prepare and attack at every angle.

Happy to help.....

The BPA by Position boards are very important.    Because with the Big Main BPA board that's 500-1000 players deep,   it's easy to lose track of the number of players at any given position that you value and hope to get.

But having the BPA by Position boards gives you the breakdown you need to keep track.    So, for example, If you want to make sure you come away with one of 10 tight ends in this draft,   the BPA by Position board tells you as they're coming off the board.    It's an important reminder that a position you might covet is losing the players you want to grab one of.       

And it's that way with every position.     So,  all of these boards come in handy.     As you put it,  prepare and attack from very angle!      Well said!     :thmup:

Thank you again.  Really didn't think about BPA by position.  I would assume whatever breakdown you have/draft board, your master board would be your main board!  Yes we'd be X-ing out players drafted and it may change in a split second because of positive/negative variables.  I'D love to sit in the war room and witness the chaos!