Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Two Weeks Away: NCF's 1st Round Wish List....

I have no idea where the Colts will pick in the first round?       Stay at 15 and take the BPA?     Or trade back, collect pick(s) and take BPA later in the round?

Dunno.

But I have 11 names that I'd like to hear one of whenever we make our selection:

One on offense:    OG:  Forrest Lamp

10 on defense:     ILB   Rueben Foster

ILB  Hassan Reddick

OLB  Tak McKinley

OLB  Charles Harris

OLB  Derek Barnett

DE/OLB   Taco Charlton

CB     Gareon Conley

CB     Tredavius White

CB     Kevin King

CB/S   Obi Melifowanu

CB     Marlon Humphrey

This is my wish list.    I'm aware that there are some names on here that will not be popular.     Some of these names are not going to be picked unless we trade down.   So, I selected some of them on the basis that we might be drafting later in the 1st round.      Is your wish list ready?     If so,  let's see it here!

Offense:

None. I wouldn't hate McCaffrey since he's probably my favourite prospect in this draft to watch, but we better knock the rest of the draft out of the park after that.

Defense: (No particular order)

Marlon Humphrey

Haason Reddick

Jarrad Davis (trade back)

Reuben Foster

Tre White (trade back)

Gareon Conley

Charles Harris

Takk McKinley

Here are mine at 15:

Offense:

OJ Howard

Forrest Lamp

Garett Bolles

(I wouldn't be ecstatic about any of them, but I'd be OK with them)

Defense:

Myles Garrett

Solomon Thomas

Marshon Lattimore

Malik Hooker

Jamal Adams

---------------

(the players until this point are probably not falling to 15, but if one does, run to the podium, claim your guy and fly him to Indy before somebody reveals an Oscars type of a debacle - also, i don't think the safeties are going to be there, but the league has been reluctant taking safeties high, so maybe one of them drops?)

--------------

Jonathan Allen

Malik McDowell

(I'm higher on McDowell than most - Anderson-Hankins-McDowell/Allen-Ridgeway-Langford rotation on the inside would be a huge improvement over what we had last year, I'm getting excited thinking about it)

--------------

Gareon Conley

Reuben Foster

Haason Reddick

Charles Harris

Takk McKinley

Tim Williams (this might be controversial - I think he's worth the pick if he's cleared off the field)

Well, that's 16, it should be enough. There are some others i might be OK picking later in the first if we trade back.

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here are mine at 15:

Offense:

OJ Howard

Forrest Lamp

Garett Bolles

(I wouldn't be ecstatic about any of them, but I'd be OK with them)

Defense:

Myles Garrett

Solomon Thomas

Marshon Lattimore

Malik Hooker

Jamal Adams

---------------

(the players until this point are probably not falling to 15, but if one does, run to the podium, claim your guy and fly him to Indy before somebody reveals an Oscars type of a debacle - also, i don't think the safeties are going to be there, but the league has been reluctant taking safeties high, so maybe one of them drops?)

--------------

Jonathan Allen

Malik McDowell

(I'm higher on McDowell than most - Anderson-Hankins-McDowell/Allen-Ridgeway-Langford rotation on the inside would be a huge improvement over what we had last year, I'm getting excited thinking about it)

--------------

Gareon Conley

Reuben Foster

Haason Reddick

Charles Harris

Takk McKinley

Tim Williams (this might be controversial - I think he's worth the pick if he's cleared off the field)

Well, that's 16, it should be enough. There are some others i might be OK picking later in the first if we trade back.

I like Malik.. for those who care to watch this kind of sums up why... I know it is Voch, but check it out it is worth watching.

Just now, BR-549 said:

I like Malik.. for those who care to watch this kind of sums up why... I know it is Voch, but check it out it is worth watching.

I watched this one. He's being incredibly selective with his film to bump up McDowell and crap on Thomas. There is absolutely no question Thomas' motor and "give a #" factor is much higher than McDowell's. And I like Thomas better, but I do think McDowell is legit top 10-15 level talent. My worry with him is what some reporters have described as "cancerous for the lockerrom" attitude and him being hard to deal with on a daily basis and questions about coachability. Hell just watch his combine interview.

36 minutes ago, stitches said:

Jonathan Allen

Malik McDowell

Sorry for taking this off topic-ish for a sec, but I had a quick question and didn't think it deserved it's own thread.

As far as Jonathan Allen goes, we've been seeing him slide in mock's recently.  If by some outside chance teams got spooked by his shoulders and we picked him at 15, what would be his most natural position on our 3-man front?  Would he be best in Anderson's DE role?  Or would he be better served in Langford's DT role?  I see your example shows him in the DE position, but I always just see Allen listed as "DL".  Thanks!

13 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Sorry for taking this off topic-ish for a sec, but I had a quick question and didn't think it deserved it's own thread.

As far as Jonathan Allen goes, we've been seeing him slide in mock's recently.  If by some outside chance teams got spooked by his shoulders and we picked him at 15, what would be his most natural position on our 3-man front?  Would he be best in Anderson's DE role?  Or would he be better served in Langford's DT role?  I see your example shows him in the DE position, but I always just see Allen listed as "DL".  Thanks!

Both Allen/McDowell and Henry Anderson would be 5 technique on both sides of Hankins in our 3-4 base defense and they can be moved around to 3 tech in sub-packages IMO... hell some think McDowell can even play both DE and NT in sub-packages.

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

I watched this one. He's being incredibly selective with his film to bump up McDowell and crap on Thomas. There is absolutely no question Thomas' motor and "give a #" factor is much higher than McDowell's. And I like Thomas better, but I do think McDowell is legit top 10-15 level talent. My worry with him is what some reporters have described as "cancerous for the lockerrom" attitude and him being hard to deal with on a daily basis and questions about coachability. Hell just watch his combine interview.

I don't know about the selective video part, why would he care one way or the other?  His job is to break down film and show skill sets or lack of.

I know what I see and regardless of selective film, if a top tier player shows any laziness at all I would at least have hesitation and Thomas does that.  In contrast, I also watched the combine and I really liked Solomon that day.... he was pretty amazing actually.  And being from Stanford you don't have to wonder about his ability to learn.  

I had not heard about the locker room issue with Malik, and also have not seen his combine interview (i will dig it up and watch it though).  If that is true it is unlikely he will be a Colt anyway so it is a moot point (meaning the better than Thomas opinion).  

I like them both, I just happen to like Malik better.  It will be fine with me if we draft either, and it will be up to the staff to figure out how to deal with the cancer issue if Malik is someone they decide they want.

Lombardi also compared Allen, Thomas and McDowell in a film session.  I haven't watched it yet but I plan to.

You are way more into these draft prospects than I am, so you understand, my intention is not to argue with you about it .... just have a healthy discussion based on opinion.  :)

12 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I don't know about the selective video part, why would he care one way or the other?  His job is to break down film and show skill sets or lack of.

I know what I see and regardless of selective film, if a top tier player shows any laziness at all I would at least have hesitation and Thomas does that.  In contrast, I also watched the combine and I really liked Solomon that day.... he was pretty amazing actually.  And being from Stanford you don't have to wonder about his ability to learn.  

I had not heard about the locker room issue with Malik, and also have not seen his combine interview (i will dig it up and watch it though).  If that is true it is unlikely he will be a Colt anyway so it is a moot point (meaning the better than Thomas opinion).  

I like them both, I just happen to like Malik better.  It will be fine with me if we draft either, and it will be up to the staff to figure out how to deal with the cancer issue if Malik is someone they decide they want.

Lombardi also compared Allen, Thomas and McDowell in a film session.  I haven't watched it yet but I plan to.

It's because he got into argument online with somebody about McDowell vs Thomas. I have no problem with somebody thinking McDowell has more natural talent than Thomas. That might be right. The problem is that this video is as a response to this argument he had and it's specifically selected cuts. For example the video he showed of Thomas not pursuing the RB around the goal line - to me this was nonsense commentary. He didn't pursue because he was like... 10 yards away from him and the goalline was 2 yards away from the RB and there were 4 bodies between him and the RB he had to pursue him from behind. What exactly was he supposed to do there? Run to jump on the pile? That's not what motor is. You can tell his commentary in this specific video was extremely biased, because he had taken a position he needed to defend.

In my opinion, Colts have huge needs in the secondary. However, this is a deep draft for CB's. Also, I believe we've made some big improvements on the DL by adding Hankins. So personally, I think they need to go Inside or Outside linebacker in the first round. Although, I'd be happy with a top CB there as well. My wish list for the first 2 rounds is:

1st Round: Tak Mckinley, Rueban Foster, Hassan Reddick, Derrek Barnett, Kevin King, Garon Conley.

2nd Round: Teez Tabor, Tre White, or Top available OT

40 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't think you're far off.  Top 10 might be a stretch, but his upside could easily put him in the top 15-20.  

1 minute ago, stitches said:

It's because he got into argument online with somebody about McDowell vs Thomas. I have no problem with somebody thinking McDowell has more natural talent than Thomas. That might be right. The problem is that this video is as a response to this argument he had and it's specifically selected cuts. For example the video he showed of Thomas not pursuing the RB around the goal line - to me this was nonsense commentary. He didn't pursue because he was like... 10 yards away from him and the goalline was 2 yards away from the RB and there were 3 bodies between him and the RB he had to pursue him from behind. What exactly was he supposed to do there? Run to jump on the pile? That's not what motor is. 

Right and....

I hear ya.... but as they say, play to the whistle every play and he just didn't seem to put much effort into that play one way or another.  That one didn't bother me so much but there were other similar examples in the film.  Most likely not an issue at all, just something to keep an eye on.

Yeah the argument was on his Facebook page and he made too big of a deal over it.  Much like what often happens on the forum lol.  

Watching the video and not paying attention to what is being said, I saw a more motivated player in Malik.   And like you say, maybe it is a result of raw talent and not motivation, Idk, Just going off of what I saw.

22 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

what stiches said.  It's equivalent to making a comparison of the extremes.  "This thing is better [and shows only its best qualities.  This thing sucks [and shows only its worst qualities.]"  That's not a comparison, that's just misleading.

6 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Right and....

I hear ya.... but as they say, play to the whistle every play and he just didn't seem to put much effort into that play one way or another.  That one didn't bother me so much but there were other similar examples in the film.  Most likely not an issue at all, just something to keep an eye on.

Yeah the argument was on his Facebook page and he made too big of a deal over it.  Much like what often happens on the forum lol.  

Watching the video and not paying attention to what is being said, I saw a more motivated player in Malik.   And like you say, maybe it is a result of raw talent and not motivation, Idk, Just going off of what I saw.

The problem with McDowell is inconsistency. When he's on, he pursues and his motor is great. The problem is that this is not every game. This is why you can find film of him giving effort and present him as this hound that pursues everything and never gives up. Sure, absolutely... when he's on, he's a freaking wrecking ball for offensive lines.

I guess if I had to say it more consicely - the worst film of Solomon Thomas' motor is MUCH BETTER than the worst film of Malik McDowell's motor.

Anyways... maybe we got very off-topic. If a moderator wants to separate those discussions so we wouldn't clutter this thread, that'd be ok. Sorry for creating more work for you guys.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

what stiches said.  It's equivalent to making a comparison of the extremes.  "This thing is better [and shows only its best qualities.  This thing sucks [and shows only its worst qualities.]"  That's not a comparison, that's just misleading.

I understand the principle of intentionally putting out misleading information to make your side of an argument appear to be correct...that it is elementary.  Either way there is film out there showing laziness of Thomas, to me that would be something I would want to address.  

It doesn't really matter because this is my opinion, I said I like Malik more than I do Thomas. If you want to argue that I should not have used that video to support my statement of opinion, I might agree with you, but my opinion is that Malik is a better player than Thomas. I have seen more film on both of them. I didn't just watch this one and say "well this is what Voch Lombardi says so it has to be true".... I watched that video a few weeks ago, whenever it was posted, and immediately started watching other film I could find and I have no issue saying that Malik has drive and ability and it appears to be better drive and ability than what Thomas has.... again.... its my opinion.  Doesn't mean you have to agree with it.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

The problem with McDowell is inconsistency. When he's on, he pursues and his motor is great. The problem is that this is not every game. This is why you can find film of him giving effort and present him as this hound that pursues everything and never gives up. Sure, absolutely... when he's on, he's a freaking wrecking ball for offensive lines.

I guess if I had to say it more consicely - the worst film of Solomon Thomas' motor is MUCH BETTER than the worst film of Malik McDowell's motor.

Anyways... maybe we got very off-topic. If a moderator wants to separate those discussions so we wouldn't clutter this thread, that'd be ok. Sorry for creating more work for you guys.

Agreed

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Offense:

None. I wouldn't hate McCaffrey since he's probably my favourite prospect in this draft to watch, but we better knock the rest of the draft out of the park after that.

Defense: (No particular order)

Marlon Humphrey

Haason Reddick

Jarrad Davis (trade back)

Reuben Foster

Tre White (trade back)

Gareon Conley

Charles Harris

Takk McKinley

I'm with you on McCaffrey.  We're the people who have a leaky roof but want to spend that down payment on a new Corvette.  

As far as your other players, I think Humphrey is overrated but I could live with him at 2.  

Offense:

McCaffrey

Cook

Defense:

Tak McKinley

Reuben Foster

Jarrad Davis (better than Reddick, explosive to the ball and great leadership)

Jabrill Peppers (best safety in the draft imo. Reminds me of Bob Sanders on tape. We need playmakers anywhere we can find them on D)

Charles Harris

DO Not Draft List:

Marlon Humphrey - does not find the ball. Gets beat deep in college.

Tre White - Better corners later in the draft IMO. 

Oj Howard- not a position of need , Evan engram who can be picked later looks like a Jordan Reed clone. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I'm with you on McCaffrey.  We're the people who have a leaky roof but want to spend that down payment on a new Corvette.  

As far as your other players, I think Humphrey is overrated but I could live with him at 2.  

haha that is a perfect description of the RB pick at #15 right now.

Yeah I've probably got Conley and White higher on my board than Humphrey. I'd love Sidney Jones in the 2nd.

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

I understand the principle of intentionally putting out misleading information to make your side of an argument appear to be correct...that it is elementary.  Either way there is film out there showing laziness of Thomas, to me that would be something I would want to address.  

It doesn't really matter because this is my opinion, I said I like Malik more than I do Thomas. If you want to argue that I should not have used that video to support my statement of opinion, I might agree with you, but my opinion is that Malik is a better player than Thomas. I have seen more film on both of them. I didn't just watch this one and say "well this is what Voch Lombardi says so it has to be true".... I watched that video a few weeks ago, whenever it was posted, and immediately started watching other film I could find and I have no issue saying that Malik has drive and ability and it appears to be better drive and ability than what Thomas has.... again.... its my opinion.  Doesn't mean you have to agree with it.

Oh I don't mind who you like more than the other.  I'm not as high on Thomas as some are.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall to the Colts.  I didn't see an explosive pass rusher - he's quick off the ball, but he stalls out faster than I'd like.  At least with like, say, Deforest Buckner last year, he was able to push guys around al little better - might've been slow, but he still moved where he wanted to go on almost any given down.  Buckern's technique was less refined, but he showed improvement, so there was reason to think he'd get better.  Thomas has some size limitations, which I'm not going to hold against him too harshly, because his versatility is his best asset.  I'd utilize him more as an interior rusher, with the ability to set  the edge on running downs.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Agreed.      I think Humphrey's is overrated too.    I was trying to give Ballard more options should he trade back. I probably should've had Davis on my list as a trade back candidate.     Brain cramp from me that I didn't.

Good call!

16 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Oh I don't mind who you like more than the other.  I'm not as high on Thomas as some are.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall to the Colts.  I didn't see an explosive pass rusher - he's quick off the ball, but he stalls out faster than I'd like.  At least with like, say, Deforest Buckner last year, he was able to push guys around al little better - might've been slow, but he still moved where he wanted to go on almost any given down.  Buckern's technique was less refined, but he showed improvement, so there was reason to think he'd get better.  Thomas has some size limitations, which I'm not going to hold against him too harshly, because his versatility is his best asset.  I'd utilize him more as an interior rusher, with the ability to set  the edge on running downs.

What do you think of McKinley?  I am warming up to him a little.... I will admit I have not seen a ton of film on him though.

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You'll see a great player, no doubt a first round pick.  

Howevah....his injury scares me.  Probably a redshirt his rookie year.   

We don't need any redshirts in the early rounds, so I guess that means someone that can afford to sit him while he learns will get him.

Just now, BR-549 said:

We don't need any redshirts in the early rounds, so I guess that means someone that can afford to sit him while he learns will get him.

Yeah, that's my guess.  A team with extra picks.  Dallas did it last year, it may pay off this year for them.  Our cupboard is bare, we really need to stay away from potential health issues.  

That all being said, these players go through heavy screenings.  I guess if the docs say he'll be good to go this year, I'm for him.  

35 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Give me about 20 minutes...lol.

33 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You'll see a great player, no doubt a first round pick.  

Howevah....his injury scares me.  Probably a redshirt his rookie year.   

I actually don't see a first round player, or at least not a mid-1st round selection.  Full disclaimer, I watched one game - 2016 vs Arizona State.  It's lazy, but I'm not doing a full write-up I just wanted to get a sense of what the reporst say and how his film matches that or what I might disagree with.

I see a shorter version Emmanuel Ogbah, with better work effort.  His size probably limits him to the edge in a 3-4 or 4-3, and I don't see a guy who can be kicked inside situationally.  He might be able to play off the ball (which he does line up occasionally off the ball), but he's not going to be quick enough to hang with tight ends.  If I recall Ogbah, he relied on his power and quickness (he's probably a little slower than Takk, but they're close).  Ogbah was more powerful, but Takk's is not to be overlooked.  Takk's short area burst is actually really good and his closing speed is about as good as anyone in this class.  Without watching more games, based on what I saw, I tink he has above average instincts.  High effort player.  

Where Takk probably falls out of the first round is everything else that goes into the position.  His technique is a mess.  He need to be quicker with his hands so he doesn't allow guys into his chest so much.  His approach on passes is pretty rudimentary and spontaneous.  He's got some moves he uses - his bull rush is good when he punches quickly and his spin move is serviceable.  He'll need to develop other moves and countermoves, which are largely ineffective at this point.  His bend is not great (also like Ogbah).  

In the end, I see a project player worth taking a flyer on in the 2nd round.  His high effort and motor along with his physical traits will get him drafted earlier than it would if he played another position.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

In the end, I see a project player worth taking a flyer on in the 2nd round.  His high effort and motor along with his physical traits will get him drafted earlier than it would if he played another position.

Yeah, I'm not super excited about Takk either. 

4 hours ago, BR-549 said:

I listened to Jeremiah and Brooks talking about Malik, and they get the feeling that he's not liked by a lot of teams due to attitude and work ethic. The talent/ability isn't the question, it's whether he'll play hard, fit into the locker room, cooperate with coaches, etc. They made it sound like several scouts and GMs think he's a headcase and don't want to be bothered with him.

But on talent alone, he might be the best DT in the draft. 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I'm not super excited about Takk either. 

Not as a first round pick.  Maybe with our second, but I'd be much more comfortable with a selection like that if we had a dependable starter at that position already.  Even with our FA signings, I'm not sure I'd be completely comfortable with it.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I listened to Jeremiah and Brooks talking about Malik, and they get the feeling that he's not liked by a lot of teams due to attitude and work ethic. The talent/ability isn't the question, it's whether he'll play hard, fit into the locker room, cooperate with coaches, etc. They made it sound like several scouts and GMs think he's a headcase and don't want to be bothered with him.

But on talent alone, he might be the best DT in the draft. 

Well we don't need that chaos ..... no one does, well except for the Bengals

3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I actually don't see a first round player, or at least not a mid-1st round selection.  Full disclaimer, I watched one game - 2016 vs Arizona State.  It's lazy, but I'm not doing a full write-up I just wanted to get a sense of what the reporst say and how his film matches that or what I might disagree with.

I see a shorter version Emmanuel Ogbah, with better work effort.  His size probably limits him to the edge in a 3-4 or 4-3, and I don't see a guy who can be kicked inside situationally.  He might be able to play off the ball (which he does line up occasionally off the ball), but he's not going to be quick enough to hang with tight ends.  If I recall Ogbah, he relied on his power and quickness (he's probably a little slower than Takk, but they're close).  Ogbah was more powerful, but Takk's is not to be overlooked.  Takk's short area burst is actually really good and his closing speed is about as good as anyone in this class.  Without watching more games, based on what I saw, I tink he has above average instincts.  High effort player.  

Where Takk probably falls out of the first round is everything else that goes into the position.  His technique is a mess.  He need to be quicker with his hands so he doesn't allow guys into his chest so much.  His approach on passes is pretty rudimentary and spontaneous.  He's got some moves he uses - his bull rush is good when he punches quickly and his spin move is serviceable.  He'll need to develop other moves and countermoves, which are largely ineffective at this point.  His bend is not great (also like Ogbah).  

Thanks