Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli linked to memorabilila scam

Bad Morty

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:
3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Proving if a helmet was or wasn't game worn would be almost impossible

Good point. I was thinking the exact same thing when this story first broke. Unless the facemark snapped or the actual dome cracked in some way on a given night during say MNF, all helmets look & feel essentially identical. 

9 minutes ago, Bad Morty said:

I don't know the first thing about the memorabilia industry. But I know that a piece of equipment can only be one of 2 things:

1) Game worn

2) Not game worn

If it's game worn but doesn't "look" game worn, that's ok to sell as game worn. If it's not game worn but "looks" game worn, that's not ok to sell as game worn. His emails seem to pretty conclusively suggest that he was looking for non-game worn equipment that could "pass" as game worn.

I know even less than you about this industry.

But if the helmet or jersey doesn't LOOK game-worn, the buyer wont believe it...and wont want it

See what I mean?

The helmets have to be game worn AND they have to look it. That could be what Eli was saying and there's no way for anyone to prove he did or didn't mean that.

..and again...the unanswered question: Why would Eli want or need to pass off a new helmet as worn.

He is ridiculously wealthy and doesn't need to con fans for cash, right?

I know that part of the reason this thread was created was to see if Colts fans would flock to Eli's defense since a number of Pats fans think INDY fans threw Brady under the bus over air pressure in game balls AKA deflate gate. 

Since I like Bad Marty, I'm gonna keep it 100 for you...

Do I believe this scandal is bull crap? Yes. Are the NY Giants my 2nd favorite team to watch? Absolutely. Do I hate Brady? No, he's a hades of a HOF QB. I just dislike it when he kicks the blue horse shoe's caboose when we face them. It's just an AFC rivalry thing that's all.

If Eli takes a reputation hit, I could care less. I ride with the Manning Family no matter what. Am I objective about my Giants even if they play like dung? It depends who BIG BLUE loses to & by how much & where we are in the regular season. 

I can't picture the Commissioner suspending ELI over this, but I'm surprised that no one has spoken to former HC Tom Coughlin about this just to see if he knows anything about this alleged practice. He might have nothing to add to the conversation, but there's no harm in asking the question right? 

46 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Why would Eli want or need to pass off a new helmet as worn.

He is ridiculously wealthy and doesn't need to con fans for cash, right?

I think part of it is that elite athletes like ELI are asked to donate game gear like a helmet to fundraise say for a NJ hospital in Eli's case & like I said before; there's only a limited number game merchandize to go around so your equipment guy scuffs up a helmet to meet the supply & demand across several philanthropic agencies & organizations. 

Okay sure, it sounds like I'm searching for an easy scapegoat [the equipment manager] to take the fall here & I probably am. I'll own that.

Just to play devil's advocate for a second: No matter how rich a person is. They can never have enough money. Bernard Madoff...Savings & Loan Bankers back in the mid 80's....Hedge Fund managers on WallStreet...

I like Eli & stand by him though. It's like a defense lawyer who defends a client accused of money laundering in a criminal enterprise. You plan for every contingency good or bad ahead of time before the verdict is handed down. Gotta earn those billable hours somehow right? LOL! 

1 hour ago, Bad Morty said:

His emails seem to pretty conclusively suggest that he was looking for non-game worn equipment that could "pass" as game worn.

Deja Vu. I feel like a former US President just said "it depends what your definition of is is." [Monica Lewinsky reference.] Just substitute the word 'pass' for 'is' Bad Marty. 

You do bring up a valid point though. What exactly did this email from ELI say word for word, who is it addressing directly, how detailed was it, & did the message establish a prolonged period of deception for fiscal gain? Translation: Can deliberate intent be ascertained or was the alleged conduct accidental or temporary in a specific timeframe or window? 

Also, what does the sports dealer want? Vindication or money to walk away quietly? That's what I'd wanna know once the dust settles on this situation. 

2 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Well if it was Tom Brady, I'd be up in arms about it, but since it's Eli, I guess I'm fine with it. Come get me, Pats fans! You can't catch me!

At least you are honest. I mean I can imagine if this was Brady that we would have had 6 locked threads already about it and screaming matches on the forum. And then cries about how the last SB ring is tainted.

So if some dude bought a helmet from some dealer in Chicago that Eli supposedly wore in the SB, or a game or whatever,  for $4K... what the hell is Eli's motive for what he is being accused of?  Does not add up in my opinion...

Just stupid

Good, Steiner Sports is a horrible business. The Giants are contractually obligated to provide game used equipment so Eli, not caring about this contract and focused on his own job, was lazy in fulfilling these obligations and tried to just get it done all at once. These folks are the people who dig up the dirt the minute Jeter stepps off the field to sell it to you, same with melting down the ice at the Nassau Coliseum to sell the water to you. They stink.

My friend worked for SportsMemorabilia.com in Miami (prior to being acquired by Fanatics) and he said you wouldn't believe how much "verified" memorabilia is actually fake.