Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli linked to memorabilila scam

Bad Morty

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Huh??? What's that about? (Serious question.)

Scroll up I was replying to Chad. He was the one that re-drew up the Peyton case from his college days and talked bad about Peyton. He also has been proven to lie about his race, he says he's black and he's not. He's actually white. I thought everyone knew this?

5 hours ago, BOTT said:

I couldn't care less, but that email is hardly a smoking gun.  He could have simply meant a a game worn helmet that has some obvious marks on it.  It's not like he's a running back.

Maybe I don't understand this but don't players consider getting memorabilia demands somewhat of a pain?

Sounds like he was telling the equipment guy...'please...I'm busy.....take care of this for me'

Bottom line: Was the helmet game worn or not and how does anybody know one way or another?

Its a helmet..you got it.   Pretend its game worn and move on. 

37 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Maybe I don't understand this but don't players consider getting memorabilia demands somewhat of a pain?

Sounds like he was telling the equipment guy...'please...I'm busy.....take care of this for me'

Bottom line: Was the helmet game worn or not and how does anybody know one way or another?

Its a helmet..you got it.   Pretend its game worn and move on. 

If you sell it as game worn, and it isn't,  It's a felony

Honestly, I don't view this as a scandal at all & here's why: 

When most fans buy jerseys & helmets from famous QBs like Eli Manning, they usually put the item in either a glass picture frame & hang it on a wall in their den or they place the helmet on a display case in a transparent lock box that only that fan has a key to for security purposes. 

Look, I get it. A sports dealer wants to be able to say to their customers that this item was worn in live game action during the NFL season to bump up the asking price. However, how many game jerseys & helmets can established QBs truly provide to dealers? If I was a QB with my jersey & helmet broke in just the way I like it, I'm not giving that up to anybody a dealer or a charity auction for a good cause regardless of how much dough it's sale could generate in the long run. 

Maybe I'm strange, but as long as the gear in question has the NFL seal or logo on it, who cares if Easy E wore the darn uniform in a regular, playoff, or SB game. Fraudulent to me means the attire is counterfeit not the game circumstances themselves. There is no scandal here on the part of Eli in my estimation. If the equipment manager lied under oath & committed perjury that's on him not Manning. 

For me, I'm more of a music guy. If I collected say famous Beatles or Kiss records & I found out that a signature was illegitimate meaning the band didn't sign an album with their names would I care? Hades no. Just as long as the vinyl record was authentic & not a bootleg knockoff with lousy sound production quality. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Honestly, I don't view this as a scandal at all & here's why: 

When most fans buy jerseys & helmets from famous QBs like Eli Manning, they usually put the item in either a glass picture frame & hang it on a wall in their den or they place the helmet on a display case in a transparent lock box that only that fan has a key to for security purposes. 

Look, I get it. A sports dealer wants to be able to say to their customers that this item was worn in live game action during the NFL season to bump up the asking price. However, how many game jerseys & helmets can established QBs truly provide to dealers? If I was a QB with my jersey & helmet broke in just the way I like it, I'm not giving that up to anybody a dealer or a charity auction for a good cause regardless of how much dough it's sale could generate in the long run. 

Maybe I'm strange, but as long as the gear in question has the NFL seal or logo on it, who cares if Easy E wore the darn uniform in a regular, playoff, or SB game. Fraudulent to me means the attire is counterfeit not the game circumstances themselves. There is no scandal here on the part of Eli in my estimation. If the equipment manager lied under oath & committed perjury that's on him not Manning. 

For me, I'm more of a music guy. If I collected say famous Beatles or Kiss records & I found out that a signature was illegitimate meaning the band didn't sign an album with their names would I care? Hades no. Just as long as the vinyl record was authentic & not a bootleg knockoff with lousy sound production quality. 

You can't sell anything as "game worn" if it wasn't.  That's fraud,  and it's a felony.  I have a hard time believing any multi millionaire would put his career in jeopardy for a few thousand bucks

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

You can't sell anything as "game worn" if it wasn't.  That's fraud,  and it's a felony.  I have a hard time believing any multi millionaire would put his career in jeopardy for a few thousand bucks

The key piece that the general public doesn't know right now is this: 

--What was the contractual language between the NY Giants organization, Eli, the dealer, & the equipment staff regarding expectations, authenticity, & financial compensation? 

--How would both sides [ownership & the dealer in question] define what their level of expectations were? 

--I understand that fans who collect jerseys & helmets from their favorite football team expect to get quality for the hefty fees they pay for from a well respected sports dealer.

However, realistically fans have to know that they're aren't a ton of game jerseys & helmets available in a given season. Do the math. 16 weeks & 3 playoff games, & 1 SB appearance or victory. The NFL is not like basketball with over 80 games to play in the regular season. 

Yeah, I agree. Eli is already rich. It seems foolish to think that Manning would tarnish his professional reputation for a couple grand on the side. 

To me, the only alleged crime here would be a knowingly fake verification letter attesting to the provenance of the items sold to a customer on a grand distribution sale. 

It's like copyright infringement in music. The magnitude & scope of the deception is what matters. The duration or length of time the deception took place over several yrs. 

Just to be clear, I revere the Manning Family & this sports dealer better bring me some thorough empirical evidence to prove that Eli crossed an ethical & monetary line here. 

15 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

The key piece that the general public doesn't know right now is this: 

--What was the contractual language between the NY Giants organization, Eli, the dealer, & the equipment staff regarding expectations, authenticity, & financial compensation? 

--How would both sides [ownership & the dealer in question] define what their level of expectations were? 

--I understand that fans who collect jerseys & helmets from their favorite football team expect to get quality for the hefty fees they pay for from a well respected sports dealer.

However, realistically fans have to know that they're aren't a ton of game jerseys & helmets available in a given season. Do the math. 16 weeks & 3 playoff games, & 1 SB appearance or victory. The NFL is not like basketball with over 80 games to play in the regular season. 

Yeah, I agree. Eli is already rich. It seems foolish to think that Manning would tarnish his professional reputation for a couple grand on the side. 

You continue to miss the point.   If it's sold as "game worn" and it wasn't it's a crime.

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

To me, the only alleged crime here would be a knowingly fake verification letter attesting to the provenance of the items sold to a customer on a grand distribution sale. 

It's like copyright infringement in music. The magnitude & scope of the deception is what matters. The duration or length of time the deception took place over several yrs. 

Just to be clear, I revere the Manning Family & this sports dealer better bring me some thorough empirical evidence to prove that Eli crossed an ethical & monetary line here. 

It's not an ethical line,  It would 's a criminal line.  For the record,  I don't think he is guilty

Just now, LJpalmbeacher said:

I don't wear or Buy jerseys etc.... But if I did and I'm paying extra $$ because it's suppose to be game worn AND IT'S NOT I'd be PIS**D OFF!

Passing off fake jerseys as game worn just to get the dealers off your back is WRONG.

If true

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

They would have a difficult time proving it wasn't game worn

I guess that's what I'm saying.

If Eli asked a equipment guy to get a couple of game-worn helmets....he surely believed that's what was done.

He has no reason to scam helmets for a couple of thousand dollars ...and the 'seller' can only rely on Eli's word.

The equipment guy will certainly insists that it was game-worn...(maybe it was)

Sounds like the accuser might be looking to draw a payoff/settlement...but its not a civil case.

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I don't wear or Buy jerseys etc.... But if I did and I'm paying extra $$ because it's suppose to be game worn AND IT'S NOT I'd be PIS**D OFF!

Passing off fake jerseys as game worn just to get the dealers off your back is WRONG.

LJ, Do game-worn jerseys state what date they were game worn?

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You continue to miss the point.   If it's sold as "game worn" and it wasn't it's a crime.

Are you trying to come across as condescending? If so, congratulations Jvan you succeeded. 

Provenance letters prove authenticity in a court of law Jvan. If the sold jerseys were not worn in an actual game,  the Mara Family pays a fine reimbursing the dealer & poof the problem goes away. 

Yes, I know. People who watch game film closely could determine say if Eli's jersey was torn in a specific game & the sold uniform in question didn't have a tear in the same spot then that could pose a major problem. That is true. 

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I guess that's what I'm saying.

If Eli asked a equipment guy to get a couple of game-worn helmets....he surely believed that's what was done.

If you read his emails to the trainer, he asked for helmets "that could pass as game worn". That doesn't indicate that he believed he was getting helmets that were "in fact" game worn.

1 minute ago, Bad Morty said:

If you read his emails to the trainer, he asked for helmets "that could pass as game worn". That doesn't indicate that he believed he was getting helmets that were "in fact" game worn.

Not necessarily.

By 'pass'..did he mean they looked game worn?

Sometimes game worn helmets don't look game worn, right?

To satisfy the requests..Eli wanted helmets that LOOKED game worn...\He was trying to satisfy the request, the way I look at it..

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Not necessarily.

By 'pass'..did he mean they looked game worn?

Sometimes game worn helmets don't look game worn, right?

To satisfy the requests..Eli wanted helmets that LOOKED game worn...\He was trying to satisfy the request, the way I look at it..

But that's the point...you can't sell helmets that "look" game worn but weren't as "game worn".

1 minute ago, Bad Morty said:

But that's the point...you can't sell helmets that "look" game worn but weren't as "game worn".

the helmets not only have to BE game-worn.

'They have to look it.

That's my point..and may have been all Eli was saying...to the equipment guy

After all, I don't think Eli Manning or any pro QB spends time picking out memorabilia to be sold. do you?

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

the helmets not only have to BE game-worn.

'They have to look it.

That's my point..and may have been all Eli was saying...to the equipment guy

After all, I don't think Eli Manning or any pro QB spends time picking out memorabilia to be sold. do you?

I don't know the first thing about the memorabilia industry. But I know that a piece of equipment can only be one of 2 things:

1) Game worn

2) Not game worn

If it's game worn but doesn't "look" game worn, that's ok to sell as game worn. If it's not game worn but "looks" game worn, that's not ok to sell as game worn. His emails seem to pretty conclusively suggest that he was looking for non-game worn equipment that could "pass" as game worn.