Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Linebacker Depth Chart

colts52761

4 hours ago, colts52761 said:

OLB--- Sheard, Ayers, Bazzie

ILB----- MIngo, Jackson

ILB------ Spence, Morrison

OLB----- Simon, Maggit, Edwards

I know we will draft a Linebacker, but is the way the current depth chart should look like?

I think there are a number of spots a bit off....

I'll try my hand at the....

Rush OLB:   Sheard,  Maggit,  Mingo,  Bazzie

Mike  ILB:     Morrison,    ??

Will    ILB:     Spence,  Jackson

Strong  OLB:   Simon,  Ayers

I'm not sure we have another MIKE on the team after Morrison?    Anyone?

Spence and Jackson play the same spot...      4 OLB's on the rush side,  just two on the strong side.   Don't see that lasting.

And of course,  we are very likely to draft at least one OLB and one ILB in a few weeks.    That will change this depth chart tremendously....

I know Hunt hasn't worked out in Cincy due to being behind some good players but perhaps he would be a good 3rd-and-long option for the Colts.  At 6-8, and in obvious passing downs, he would be a pretty big obstacle to throw over.  I could see some batted balls in our favor.

Interestingly CBSSports and the other sites that were updated I saw have our current depth chart as 

SAM: Sheard Maggitt Mount

WILB: Jackson Spence King

MILB: Morrison Rhodes Bazzie

RUSH: Simon Ayers Mingo 

I think they have it about right. Simon and Sheard are both  probably best suited for SAM.  Both are well rounded but neither are exceptional pass rushers.. Simon has the most upside so make him RUSH.  Bazzie was a surprise at ILB.  He's a typical Grig's swing at LB.

Ballard is off to a good start cleaning up the mess at LB. We will surely add a young pass rusher early in this draft. That willl really help in fact we may start the year with NFL talent at OLB. I don't think we will be so lucky at ILB. 

The key to the D  will be finding someone to play Mike  Morrison isn't an NFL starter. The draft doesn't offer a lot of help outside of the few guys that likely go top 50.  I liked Rhodes coming out of William & Mary. He was a surprise cut in TB. King was a tackle machine at Norfolk St. I don't think either will be the answer. We may see Spence and Jackson playing together a lot this year if we miss in the draft. 

3 hours ago, MTC said:

Mingo at ILB is intriguing to say at the least. Colts should try him out there during camp and see how he does.

Wouldn't Mingo be a better cover backer with his altheticism? I'm not sure if the difference between the Mike and Will, but I do know their jobs differ when it comes to pass plays

2 hours ago, krunk said:

These two in together against the run I think can be really solid for us especially behind an improved D line that will actually have a legitimate NT.  And then they both have a year in the system now which should hopefully allow them to play even quicker. We just need to find that 3 down backer that we can trust in coverage. 

4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why is everyone always putting Mingo at ILB he is a Rush OLB he sucks but that's still his position. We are in desperate need of ILB 

I would say we are in desperate need of a 3 down ILBer. A guy who can basically do it all and do it well. 

I think Simon's final position is determined by the draft. Right now it looks like we have a better shot at a value pick of  ILB than pass rusher at the #15 spot but I think ultimately the Colts are hoping for a configuration where at least Simon can toggle from inside to outside given the down and distance situation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 5:57 PM, joeb said:

If Reuben Foster falls to us you have to make that pick. Him getting thrown out of the combine is concerning. On film this guy could be the next Ray Lewis. If his is on right.

As a colts fan who has watched our defensive guys maintain the injury listing each week and every year seemingly, I'd rather pass on Foster because of his injury rapsheet. The team has to be 100% certain, his injuries in that shoulder, will not be a chronic issue. The guy makes me nervous as a bust from the injuries, the way he handled that medical screening deal and then didn't he have an issue with a urine sample? Just a lot of flags for a top 15 pick. 

On 4/15/2017 at 1:49 AM, weslo1812 said:

These two in together against the run I think can be really solid for us especially behind an improved D line that will actually have a legitimate NT.  And then they both have a year in the system now which should hopefully allow them to play even quicker. We just need to find that 3 down backer that we can trust in coverage. 

I absolutely loved how Edwin flew around and hit people last year. An offseason of study and understanding the pro game a little better and experience should help him be a little more disciplined for this season. I'm rooting on this kid to make a 2nd year leap on our team. 

On 4/14/2017 at 9:49 PM, weslo1812 said:

Morrison isn't tackling anyone unless they run straight at him. He moves like his feet are in cement I don't think he can play quicker. I think we draft at least one ILB if we pick up another one somewhere down the line. The later rounds or an UDFA maybe after cuts. Morrison could well end up like every other LB Grig's has drafted