Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How good is the dline now

CR91

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, B~Town said:

Hard to be optimistic last year our d line was suppose to be great but were one of if not the worst in the NFL . It does feel as if they are trending in the right direction though hopefully it shows on the field this up coming season .

I agree it felt like our run defense was worse than all the dungy teams

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

So now before the draft, would it be fair to say the Colts appear to be building to win the AFC South this year over Houston with no QB, Jacksonville with Bortles and Tennessee with a suspect OL to protect?

i would say that is a safe assumption considering in the press conference firing Grigson, he spelled that out that winning the division was a top priority.  and we have the O to do it, just need the D.

So now before the draft, would it be fair to say the Colts appear to be building to win the AFC South this year over Houston with no QB, Jacksonville with Bortles and Tennessee with a suspect OL to protect?

Tennessee had the best O-Line in the league last year, per PFF. 

1. Tennessee Titans (Preseason rank: 25)

Top overall grade: RT Jack Conklin, 88.9 (No. 5 among OTs)

Top pass-blocking grade: RT Jack Conklin, 88.5 (No. 7)

Top run-blocking grade: LT Taylor Lewan, 88.4 (No. 2)

It seems heretical to suggest that the Dallas Cowboys did not field the best offensive line in the game in 2016, but Tennessee’s unit really was without a weakness all season. All five starters earned impressive grades in both run blocking and pass protection, paving the way to 2,180 rushing yards as a team, 1,777 of which came from their first two running backs, DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry. No member of the offensive line surrendered more than three sacks on the season, and while LT Taylor Lewan fell off a little as the year wore on, conceding more penalties than you would like, on the other side, rookie RT Jack Conklin earned PFF All-Pro honors. This unit may not be able to match the Dallas line in terms of its very peak performers, but there was no weak link along this chain all season long, and that’s why the Tennessee Titans finish the season as our No. 1 ranked line.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Well, I look at it this way, a healthy Langford and Anderson plus Hankins, hankins will eat a double team where before, teams simplify went one on one with parry and doubled the DEs , now they'll have to respect the middle more so it should in theory make it harder for teams to block us. If that makes any sense.

gonna be an interesting first couple rounds in the draft though. I really think we're going CB in the first and thought we'd go NT/DT in the second but now, not so sure

CB in the 1st is what i like now too. G Conley has moved up as a target for me.
 In the 2nd i`m salivating over J Mixon/Dion Dawkins.
 3rd rd another pass rusher or ILB.
 We are set up to really help ourselves in the draft!  :applause:

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

CB in the 1st is what i like now too. G Conley has moved up as a target for me.
 In the 2nd i`m salivating over J Mixon/Dion Dawkins.
 3rd rd another pass rusher or ILB.
 We are set up to really help ourselves in the draft!  :applause:

i agree.  really, i feel pretty good about this draft.

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Tennessee have one of the best Olines last year? Can't check right now but I swear they did

21 hours ago, KB said:

You're right. 

They were near the top last year but near the bottom in 15 so one year does not count for proven success so let's see how they trade and draft for 17. Their QB suffered a broken leg so no star for that play.

6 hours ago, King Colt said:

They were near the top last year but near the bottom in 15 so one year does not count for proven success so let's see how they trade and draft for 17. Their QB suffered a broken leg so no star for that play.

You can't downplay the OLine just because the QB got injured. Romo has stayed injured and the Cowboys have still been recognized as having an elite OLine. If next year we fielded the #1 overall defense we wouldn't call our defense suspect just because we've been bad in prior years.

On 4/14/2017 at 8:24 PM, I'm Negan said:

It doesn't matter how good they are if we don't have a secondary who can cover people.

I've watched the games, it's 100% (not 99%) on the pass rush. Specifically the Steelers game in 2014. Whole game felt like Roethlisberger had 6-8 seconds to throw every pass. Unsurprisingly, he had 6 TDs in that game.

On 4/14/2017 at 5:24 PM, I'm Negan said:

It doesn't matter how good they are if we don't have a secondary who can cover people.

This is true to an extent, but it's a two way street. So ideally you have a really good D line that can get consistent pressure with 3 or 4 which helps your back end not have to sit back and try and cover for an extended period of time. If someone expects thier corners to be able to sit back and be great at covering for say 6 plus seconds almost consistently, then they are quite unrealistic and gonna be dissapointed alot more often than not. At that length of time and beyond WR's are gonna find a way to come open it almost doesn’t matter how good of a back end you have. Both areas need to complimemt eachother, the DL and LBers also need to do thier part and not let the QB just sit back there nice and cozy and wait for a guy to come open.

On 4/13/2017 at 6:09 PM, Jdubu said:

We won't know what we have until these guys get some playing time this season. We have had some rosters before that on paper, looked super good and then turned into a turd. Hard to think we haven't improved an awful defense into at least a viable option to give our offense a few more possessions without surrending 30+ points nearly each game. 

It's said to death but I'll say it again anyway. It'll all come down to injuries and if we can keep the starters on the field or not.  

1 hour ago, weslo1812 said:

If someone expects thier corners to be able to sit back and be great at covering for say 6 plus seconds almost consistently, then they are quite unrealistic and gonna be dissapointed alot more often than not. At that length of time and beyond WR's are gonna find a way to come open it almost doesn’t matter how good of a back end you have

Beautifully stated Weslo. :thmup: A nice rebuttal to secondary reservations in INDY minus the great Vontae Davis that is. 

You are a darn good contributor on the forum too. You know your football man. 

11 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

You can't downplay the OLine just because the QB got injured. Romo has stayed injured and the Cowboys have still been recognized as having an elite OLine. If next year we fielded the #1 overall defense we wouldn't call our defense suspect just because we've been bad in prior years.

All I am saying is one year good or bad in the NFL is a guarantee of nothing. If the personnel in the Colts OL performs like it did late last year fine but I am not betting on it any more than I would on TN.

20 minutes ago, King Colt said:

All I am saying is one year good or bad in the NFL is a guarantee of nothing. If the personnel in the Colts OL performs like it did late last year fine but I am not betting on it any more than I would on TN.

Well that's just silly. Just accept they have a great line. And hope ours improves   

5 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

PFF graded them as the #1 line. But I guess that's just average right? If top 3 isn't great, what the # is?

Dallas was #1 to most. Why the top 20? Repeat winners like NE, SF Giants, Packers and Steelers are great teams. The Bears are not, one win is one win. Proves nothing The Triple Crown need three wins. Buster Douglas won one time also another non-great one hit wonder.

Dallas was #1 to most. Why the top 20? Repeat winners like NE, SF Giants, Packers and Steelers are great teams. The Bears are not, one win is one win. Proves nothing The Triple Crown need three wins. Buster Douglas won one time also another non-great one hit wonder.

No offence, but you sound like you just don't want to accept the fact that you're wrong. 

Tennessee has a good line. You thought they didn't. It's fine to be wrong man. It happens. 

On 4/14/2017 at 10:14 AM, coltsfanatic24 said:

This is the most talented defensive line since Freeney, Mathis, and Simon. They have the potential to be ranked 15-18 in run defense. 

I expect them to leap into the top 12 in run defense. We've improved the seven A LOT. Not only are we getting a beast at NT in Hankins, we are getting a healthy Anderson, Langford, and Geathers. Add Sheard, Simon, and a ILB in the draft. We will be sitting with potentially the biggest makeover defensively the Colts have ever had. At least that I remember. 

21 hours ago, King Colt said:

Now it's a  "great" line??!! Who is silly now? They are not  ranked #1 so-not great.

If you think "great" means being ranked No. 1 overall. Understand this. Seattle wasn't ranked the number 1 defensive team last year. Are they not a great defense? The Patriots were ranked the No. 1 defensive team. Is their defense great? I wouldn't say it is at all.  

Whether a team is No. 1 or No. 4 doesn't really matter. You have to look at the close stats that matter. 

14 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

No offence, but you sound like you just don't want to accept the fact that you're wrong. 

Tennessee has a good line. You thought they didn't. It's fine to be wrong man. It happens. 

All I am saying for the second time is one year means zip. Granted their OL numbers looked good but in the softest, worst division in football. No one can compare that AFC South with any NFC division (Cowboys) so thinking they are number anything over top 4 is dreaming. The knock on the Colts' success was they played in the worst division in the game and so it goes for the Titans. The Titans sucked again in 2016 @ 9-7 so their schedule will be a repeat of 2016, little challenge.

Hum I am a show me guy! Hankins I like has he played nt before? Anderson I like need to be healthy and play like his first year not last year same with lankford! Ridgway I like hopefully keeps improving! I the signing from cinn and magill to but won't to see it first before I start  gushing over it right now! 

14 minutes ago, King Colt said:

All I am saying for the second time is one year means zip. Granted their OL numbers looked good but in the softest, worst division in football. No one can compare that AFC South with any NFC division (Cowboys) so thinking they are number anything over top 4 is dreaming. The knock on the Colts' success was they played in the worst division in the game and so it goes for the Titans. The Titans sucked again in 2016 @ 9-7 so their schedule will be a repeat of 2016, little challenge.

So when presented with facts and published rankings , your response is essentially calling "#fakenews" because you don't agree with the findings?  Sounds legit.

24 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I don't buy your assessment of the O-line and how it relates to what you call the worst division in football. There were only three division games in the last eight games last season. The other teams were the Packers, Steelers, Jets, Vikings and Raiders. The Colts vastly improved on the O-line the second half of last season and it wasn't against the so called worst division in football. And to top it off the AFC south is not the worst division in football.

38 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Okay no. The texans had the best defense in football last year, and the jags had a bevy of pass rush talent. They also went up against the tough Vikings defense, the tough chiefs defense and the tough broncos defense, not to mention the Mack attack in Oakland. Despite that, they still had a top 5 Oline. So to think they don't have a good Oline is simply asinine.

and besides, even if you're right (you're not) how the heck does that make the titans Oline one of their weaknesses? Because that is what you more or less said in your first post.

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We don't have to be. It has been proved we win games when the D gives up less than 19 points.

That's right.  We don't need the #1 defense.  Assuming the offense can still score like last year, we need a defense that can hold teams to maybe one less score.  Especially when we are playing teams with good defenses and we are struggling a little bit to score.  We don't need a lights out - 15 points per game defense.  

2 hours ago, gspdx said:

That's right.  We don't need the #1 defense.  Assuming the offense can still score like last year, we need a defense that can hold teams to maybe one less score.  Especially when we are playing teams with good defenses and we are struggling a little bit to score.  We don't need a lights out - 15 points per game defense.  

Don't all teams need a defense to hold teams to one less score?

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't buy your assessment of the O-line and how it relates to what you call the worst division in football. There were only three division games in the last eight games last season. The other teams were the Packers, Steelers, Jets, Vikings and Raiders. The Colts vastly improved on the O-line the second half of last season and it wasn't against the so called worst division in football. And to top it off the AFC south is not the worst division in football.

Yes, they still are (and have ben for a long time) as they all have 2016 W-L records that are at best an embarrassment.

6 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Okay no. The texans had the best defense in football last year, and the jags had a bevy of pass rush talent. They also went up against the tough Vikings defense, the tough chiefs defense and the tough broncos defense, not to mention the Mack attack in Oakland. Despite that, they still had a top 5 Oline. So to think they don't have a good Oline is simply asinine.

and besides, even if you're right (you're not) how the heck does that make the titans Oline one of their weaknesses? Because that is what you more or less said in your first post.

No, you are wrong. My position on all claims to be good is to repeat it, one good season is no claim to anything in any sport ever, never has been and never will be. Kind of like the stock market, one good year is no reason to put your money in a company. What a load of crap for so many posters here to jump on the Titans bandwagon after so may years of being not even also-rans at best. One SB appearance and the bottom of the barrel OL in 2015 to somehow be the great OL after one year claimed here. Hilarious. Take their OL out of the AFC South and relocate and you will see mediocrity at it's best.