Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Hankins

Everyone

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Pretty pricey but if it improves the defense, it's a good move!  I hope he plays at a very high level here in Indy and I hope he stays healthy!  Welcome to the Colts!

That term is very important but hopefully he can bolster our defense.

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

Holder is soooo bad...

I will admit, I was wrong on this one. I didn't see Ballard dropping this kind of coin on Hankins. I'm kind of concerned, I don't really think Hankins is the kind of player you pay $10m/year, but there's no question he's going to be one of our best DL and will help the defensive front significantly. Good add, questionable contract, IMO. 

Maybe Ballard doesn't think we are that far away (unlike some on this board), so dropping some coin to win now might be appropriate.

1 minute ago, Everyone said:

Yeah, also this signing doesn't really go along with what Ballard has been saying.

If there's any move that suggests he came off of his initial position, it's this one. I'm waiting on full details, but it sounds like there's guaranteed money into Year 2, and it's definitely the biggest contract he's done all offseason. One thing is for sure, they didn't rush into it. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Maybe Ballard doesn't think we are that far away (unlike some on this board), so dropping some coin to win now might be appropriate.

You are only going to have 5 or 6 years of Luck in his prime, there is no time for a rebuild. About the only thing Grigson did right was not lock the team down with bad contracts. 

Will obviously be a significant upgrade to our defensive line. No doubt about it. A lot of money, but given the structure of all the other contracts this FA, I'm actually okay with paying Hankins this much. 

Three years also means that if he performs well he's still young enough to get another huge pay day. Good for him and the Colts.

Just now, James said:

Will obviously be a significant upgrade to our defensive line. No doubt about it. A lot of money, but given the structure of all the other contracts this FA, I'm actually okay with paying Hankins this much. 

Three years also means that if he performs well he's still young enough to get another huge pay day. Good for him and the Colts.

Agreed

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

lmao probably not even with this great signing. Glad to see this though because patience paid off and we got a solid player.

If they signed Von Miller and JJ Watt for a million each there would still be critics on here. 

Wow!  Cost quite a bit more than I thought it would or should, but I don't care about the money!  My team just upgraded big time on the DL, so I am very happy. :)

I still see LB and DB as a big need, and I am still not sold the OL is in the right place yet, either.  DB, LB, or OG with the first pick and I am feeling very satisfied with where this team is headed.  

I think Ballard has done a fantastic job this off-season in remaking the defense.  Now to hope that all the moves translate onto the field.  I think this is truly a make or break year for Pagano, to be sure.

Go Colts!

We basically give him Damon Harris money, again with a 3 year deal that truly is a 1 year deal with option for the team, i don't like the idea of paying that kind of money for a NT that is a 2-down player(i'm still suspicious about his pass rusher skills),  of course the team is gonna improve but still a lot of money.

I would love to see Hankins make this contract look like a bargain for the Colts, overall this improved the Colts for money that didn't seem to be spend.

Great move by Ballard, I believed in him when he got here but now I am a firm believer in him. I'm ready to see how our linebackers play behind this NT especially Pound Cake. I'm just excited now cuz I Know we will be competing this year here on out cuz I Know this defense will be fixed next year.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

Holder is soooo bad...

I will admit, I was wrong on this one. I didn't see Ballard dropping this kind of coin on Hankins. I'm kind of concerned, I don't really think Hankins is the kind of player you pay $10m/year, but there's no question he's going to be one of our best DL and will help the defensive front significantly. Good add, questionable contract, IMO. 

If he drafts well, this won't really end up being a problematic contract.  In 3 years time, we'll know from this year's draft class who we'll be re-signing, perhaps have drafted a suitable backup/replacement.  I know you have concerns about the deal on its face, but in the grand scheme of things, I think we could've done worse.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

If he drafts well, this won't really end up being a problematic contract.  In 3 years time, we'll know from this year's draft class who we'll be re-signing, perhaps have drafted a suitable backup/replacement.  I know you have concerns about the deal on its face, but in the grand scheme of things, I think we could've done worse.

Yeah, it's not like we gave Olivier Vernon $17m/year. I'm not protesting the deal, I just didn't think he was worth this much, and didn't think Ballard would agree to it. 

17 minutes ago, Imrryr said:

Not sure im a fan of this. Im hoping he doesnt turn out like another art jones. If he does then we could be going on that grigson spiral for the rest of lucks career.

What isn't it there to like? He just turned 25 and is one of the best NT's in the league. I love this move. IMO, this isn't even close to the Art Jones signing.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, it's not like we gave Olivier Vernon $17m/year. I'm not protesting the deal, I just didn't think he was worth this much, and didn't think Ballard would agree to it. 

We needed him though and had the Salary Cap to get it done. Ballard must know something by signing this guy and not signing Poe. Poe has a pretty awesome career. What I like about Hankins is he just turned 25.