chad72

My dog got attacked

chad72    6,435

Hey guys, just heard from my wife that my dog, on a leash, in my yard, got attacked by the dog of a neighbor a couple of blocks away. A few bites were attempted by the other dog that is about 100 lbs on my 35 lb dog.

Initially, it seemed like there is not any skin pierced but my wife finally found a bite mark around the underbelly. She is going to get my dog checked out at the vet this afternoon. The owner of the other dog was on car, and caught up to her dog before it did any more damage while my wife ran to the front yard.  The other dog owner gave my wife her address and phone number as well. The other dog goes to the same clinic in Brownsburg that my dog goes to, so we verified that the other dog has had its shots too.

I may not have been as kind if I witnessed it, personally but my wife was nice about it since there were no major bite marks noticeable post incident. However, my dog is behaving strangely since then. She keeps staring out the front window to the yard where she got attacked, almost like being haunted/traumatized by it. Not sure if that is typical of dogs attacked. Personally, I am livid. All that the other owner had to do was keep their dog secured and my dog was minding its business on our own yard, feel terrible for my dog. Just wanted to ask you folks if any of you have been in that situation.

What would be the course of action I need to take? First things first, take care of my dog, I know that. Next, do I take the vet bill and call the other owner up and find out if they will pay? If they do not pay, what is my course of action? Just thought I'd pick your brains if you have been in this situation before.

Appreciate your time.

Nadine    5,174

Hopefully your dog is ok.  I wouldn't hesitate to ask the owner to pay.

My daughter was walking her dog on a leash when an unleashed dog from across the street ran over and attacked her.

She was terrified and the other owner took his sweet time getting his dog off, never apologized, and continues to allow his dog to be unleashed in the yard. My daughter avoids that part of the neighborhood now.

I would have called animal control on that one.  But, in this case, the owner was being responsible (aside from having a dog that attacks for no reason).  If she doesn't pay or if it happens again, I'd call animal control. If you know this animal has done this before, I'd call now.

I'm sorry for her dog but, what's to stop that dog from attacking another dog or even a child?  The owner does not have the dog under control and that needs to be addressed because they aren't out on their own in the country.  They are in town where they have to make sure their pet is not a threat to the neighborhood.

2006Coltsbestever    10,394

Sorry to hear that man! That could very well traumatize your dog sorry to say. My parents are on vacation this week and I have had my hands full watching an 8 pound Maltese and a 10 pound Yorkie. Luckily when I let them out they have a huge fenced in back yard to run around in and use the bathroom. I still watch for coyotes and hawks though so I am on it but don't have to worry about other dogs. I would ask the owner to pay for the Vet bill, owner is responsible as long as your dog was on a leash and in your yard. Hopefully it works it for you.

• Like 1

chad72    6,435
8 hours ago, Nadine said:

Hopefully your dog is ok.  I wouldn't hesitate to ask the owner to pay.

My daughter was walking her dog on a leash when an unleashed dog from across the street ran over and attacked her.

She was terrified and the other owner took his sweet time getting his dog off, never apologized, and continues to allow his dog to be unleashed in the yard. My daughter avoids that part of the neighborhood now.

I would have called animal control on that one.  But, in this case, the owner was being responsible (aside from having a dog that attacks for no reason).  If she doesn't pay or if it happens again, I'd call animal control. If you know this animal has done this before, I'd call now.

I'm sorry for her dog but, what's to stop that dog from attacking another dog or even a child?  The owner does not have the dog under control and that needs to be addressed because they aren't out on their own in the country.  They are in town where they have to make sure their pet is not a threat to the neighborhood.

The other dog owner paid for it all. It was about $100 and the vet did find 3 bite marks under the fur beneath her that we did not spot initially. My dog still has a hard time lying down but the vet said none of them were deeper than 1 cm and looks like we dodged a bullet there. The recovery time is 1 to 2 weeks with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for pain relief. 

The other dog had been mauled by its owner's neighbor's pit bull and had a facial reconstruction around September 2016. It had gotten defensive with other unfamiliar dogs since then. It started chasing ducks and got away and ended up in our front yard a few blocks away. Hence the lady clearly understood the predicament we were in and didn't hesitate to pay the bill in full. 

It could have been worse, I guess, either for my dog or it could have been my child biking outside. I will count my blessings here.

• Like 3

Nadine    5,174
2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The owner paid for it all. It was about $100 and the vet did find 3 bite marks under the fur beneath her that we did not spot initially. My dog still has a hard time lying down but the vet said none of them were deeper than 1 cm and looks like we dodged a bullet there. The recovery time is 1 to 2 weeks with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for pain relief. 

The other dog had been mauled by its owner's neighbor's pit bull and had a facial reconstruction around September 2016. It had gotten defensive with other unfamiliar dogs since then. It started chasing ducks and got away and ended up in our front yard a few blocks away. Hence the lady clearly understood the predicament we were in and didn't hesitate to pay the bill in full. 

It could have been worse, I guess, either for my dog or it could have been my child biking outside. I will count my blessings here.

She needs to do something for that dog to straighten him out.  The other neighbors dog is a problem.  He sounds dangerous.

Glad yours is ok.  That's good news

southwest1    10,377

Chad, 

Sorry to hear that your dog was attacked & subsequently traumatized. Sadly, your dog may never have the same personality prior to the actual biting incident as you so eloquently stated. I don't own a dog or a cat right now, but I do sympathize with your struggle. You want your carefree dog back & your neighbor who failed to monitor his dog or keep it safely contained turned your happy go lucky dog's world upside down. 

My condolences. I wish there was more I could do for you my friend. 

On 4/12/2017 at 10:45 AM, chad72 said:

Hey guys, just heard from my wife that my dog, on a leash, in my yard, got attacked by the dog of a neighbor a couple of blocks away. A few bites were attempted by the other dog that is about 100 lbs on my 35 lb dog.

Initially, it seemed like there is not any skin pierced but my wife finally found a bite mark around the underbelly. She is going to get my dog checked out at the vet this afternoon. The owner of the other dog was on car, and caught up to her dog before it did any more damage while my wife ran to the front yard.  The other dog owner gave my wife her address and phone number as well. The other dog goes to the same clinic in Brownsburg that my dog goes to, so we verified that the other dog has had its shots too.

I may not have been as kind if I witnessed it, personally but my wife was nice about it since there were no major bite marks noticeable post incident. However, my dog is behaving strangely since then. She keeps staring out the front window to the yard where she got attacked, almost like being haunted/traumatized by it. Not sure if that is typical of dogs attacked. Personally, I am livid. All that the other owner had to do was keep their dog secured and my dog was minding its business on our own yard, feel terrible for my dog. Just wanted to ask you folks if any of you have been in that situation.

What would be the course of action I need to take? First things first, take care of my dog, I know that. Next, do I take the vet bill and call the other owner up and find out if they will pay? If they do not pay, what is my course of action? Just thought I'd pick your brains if you have been in this situation before.

Appreciate your time.

It is probably a good thing your wife was able to calmly handle the situation.  Sometimes pet-owners can overreact and make a situation worse.

My dad was once walking our dog (40-lb Boxer) in our neighborhood when another dog in the neighborhood (100+ lb) got out of its fence and attacked our dog.  It wasn't too serious, but when you love your pet...

My dad overreacted and went back to their house with a hammer in one hand and a hatchet in the other.  He gave them a stern warning about taking care of their dog, or he would.  Not his finest moment.

I'm not sure how I would react to witnessing my pet being harmed, but from the outside looking in, don't let the situation deteriorate and get worse.  Try to get your dog re-acclimated to care-free walks around the neighborhood.  Dogs have blessedly-short memories.  Get it into a routine again, and it should be fine.

• Like 1

Appreciate your time.

As far as asking the neighbor to pay the vet bill.  That is reasonable, and if they're a good neighbor and really are sorry, they won't balk at it.

If it becomes an issue, at all, my personal philosophy is to let it go and move on.  You and your dog are better off paying the bill and moving on with your lives.  Having an ongoing issue with a neighbor isn't worth it.

Just keep a hammer in your pocket when walking your dog, as my dad would say.

• Like 1

crazycolt1    6,258

Without sounding cold because people get attached to their dogs but dogs attacking each other has been going on forever and will continue. Dogs are territorial and will attack each other because that's their nature.

Dogs can become more aggressive because of their owners but sometimes it's not about anything an owner did or didn't do.

People tent to forget that dogs are a pack animal and will fight for their order in the pack. Breed has little to do with that either.

• Like 1

BullsColtsFan1    859

Sorry this happened man.  Dogs are very smart, your dog is probably just nervous it's going to happen again.  She's probably looking to see if that other dog is in site.  My dog was outside once as a puppy and fireworks were getting shot off and he freaked out, for the next few days when he went outside the first thing he did was look up in the air because he was nervous they were going to get shot off again.  As far as the other dog attacking your dog, I would absolutely call the neighbor and have them pay the bill.  Things like this have happened around my neighborhood here in Illinois and the person at fault always pays.  If they don't agree to pay then I am not 100% sure what course of action you can take.  Good luck though, I hope everything works out.

On 4/21/2017 at 8:20 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Without sounding cold because people get attached to their dogs but dogs attacking each other has been going on forever and will continue. Dogs are territorial and will attack each other because that's their nature.

Dogs can become more aggressive because of their owners but sometimes it's not about anything an owner did or didn't do.

People tent to forget that dogs are a pack animal and will fight for their order in the pack. Breed has little to do with that either.

It's just a side effect of owning a literal animal. Despite the domestication they still have predispositions to certain behaviors that can be triggered at random. It happens. I'm just glad nothing "serious" happened to your dog or kid. 

chad72    6,435

thanks for all your input.

My dog is all recovered and doing great now. Back to her spunky self, still barking at everything that moves while on her leash on the yard outside. Life as usual, like before, that is all I can ask for. :) 

nburgmei    243

I'm glad to hear your dog is fine. That is a big size discrepancy between the two dogs.

When I was 12 my dalmatian (65 lbs) was attacked by our neighbors' German shepherd (~100 lbs) and an Australian shepherd mix (~50 lbs). She escaped with a few puncture wounds and a slightly red-stained coat but nothing too terrible despite the double-team. It didn't affect her personality one bit. She just kept on keeping on. I should mention that she was generally dumb as a brick, but she was a good dog. The only recourse I can recall is that the neighbor started tying the G. shepherd up.

We have some dogs of questionable character in our neighborhood. Both are pit bull mixes that could likely make short work of my coward of an Australian shepherd mix (~50 lbs). One of them runs loose and actually seems more aggressive towards people than dogs (which is scary). The other is normally tied in the front yard while the owners are out with it, but it seems entirely too eager to get at my dog when we walk by. Unfortunately, it's a neighbor on our street so we have no alternate course to walk. We normally carry dog mace, and I usually have a knife on me...neither of which I'd ever want to have to use. I'm not entirely sure dog mace would work on a charging pit bull.   

shakedownstreet    5,615
On 4/12/2017 at 11:58 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still watch for coyotes and hawks though

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh every time I picture a little dog being carried off by a hawk :D

SilentHill    2,714
On 5/12/2017 at 4:28 PM, shakedownstreet said:

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh every time I picture a little dog being carried off by a hawk :D

You should probably seek counseling.

SilentHill    2,714
On 5/3/2017 at 9:47 AM, chad72 said:

thanks for all your input.

My dog is all recovered and doing great now. Back to her spunky self, still barking at everything that moves while on her leash on the yard outside. Life as usual, like before, that is all I can ask for. :) 

Your dog will probably have a fear of larger dogs for quite some time, in fear that this could happen again, but it sounds like they were relatively unscathed.

I've played out this scenario before in my head, and I know I would throw myself in front of my dog when danger approaches, even if it were a moving vehicle. It may sound extreme, but I'm not sure I could live with myself knowing that I could have saved an innocent life.

I've actually come close to having to protect my dog. My dog was by my side in our neighbors yard and un-leashed. We were talking with them, their dogs were leashed. All of a sudden the neighbor across the street's 80lb rottweiler got out, and was b-lining for our pack of dogs. This is when something extraordinary happened. As soon as that dog reached our parcel of lawn, my 35lb Sheltie puffed himself up and sort of jumped up and pounced in the path of the rottweiler. That rottweiler put the brakes on so fast and hightailed it back to his yard, I was kind of amazed that my smaller dog had the instinct to make himself look bigger and formidable to a larger dog to send them packing, in hindsight we were extremely lucky.

Myles    701
On 4/21/2017 at 9:20 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I agree. 

It's a shame the attack happened, but these things will happen.   Even responsible dog owners have their dog get away from them from time to time.   If you notice it happening often, you may have to put a bb in it's butt.   We had to do that to a mean neighborhood dog when I was growing up.   Dogs are very smart and usually will not return to where pain is.  

• Like 1

On 4/21/2017 at 9:20 PM, crazycolt1 said:

You could say a lot of the same things about humans.  Humans are territorial and violent in nature.  We have been fighting each other forever and it will continue.

This could easily be a thread about someones' kid getting beat up by the neighborhood bully.

I'm not sure what your point is.  Are you saying it's not a big deal?  "Boys will be boys, and dogs will be dogs"

:thinking:

crazycolt1    6,258
1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You could say a lot of the same things about humans.  Humans are territorial and violent in nature.  We have been fighting each other forever and it will continue.

This could easily be a thread about someones' kid getting beat up by the neighborhood bully.

I'm not sure what your point is.  Are you saying it's not a big deal?  "Boys will be boys, and dogs will be dogs"

What? :scratch:  My comment has been up since April 21st.  Sorry if you didn't get the point. You seem to be the only one who didn't.

Myles    701

Dogs and human ARE different.   A bully willingly does what he/she does while understanding the laws of society.  

It's not the same.    

Yes, dogs will be dogs.   Step on a dogs foot and you will probably get bit.    Whether it's a poodle or a pit bull.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What? :scratch:  My comment has been up since April 21st.  Sorry if you didn't get the point. You seem to be the only one who didn't.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Dogs and human ARE different.   A bully willingly does what he/she does while understanding the laws of society.  

It's not the same.    

Yes, dogs will be dogs.   Step on a dogs foot and you will probably get bit.    Whether it's a poodle or a pit bull.  

Okey Dokey then.  Do either of you have pets?

Myles    701
15 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Okey Dokey then.  Do either of you have pets?

Yep.   A dog and a couple cats.    The dog is well behaved, but when around other dogs, it is hit and miss.  

You cannot fully take the "dog" out of the dog.   

Do you have pets?  

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yep.   A dog and a couple cats.    The dog is well behaved, but when around other dogs, it is hit and miss.  

You cannot fully take the "dog" out of the dog.   

Do you have pets?  

Yeah I also have a dog and two cats.  The dog is trained, so it is ok around other dogs.  It got attacked once and fought back, but it has never been the aggressor.

Myles    701

Appreciate your time.

Mark my words, at some point, someone is going to say/think the dog has been abused.    For some reason people assume if your dog is timid, it must have been abused.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe I shouldn't have tried to compare bad dogs and bad kids.  It just seemed to fit because both are a reflection of the owner/parent.  

What I took away from your original post is that "dogs will be dogs".  But my dog has never attacked another dog or tried to establish a pecking order when it's at a dog park or walking down the Monon with other dogs.  Because my dog is trained properly.  As are most dogs that I come into contact with.  IMO, the aggressive pack animal that you described is in the minority nowadays.  I think most dogs have been domesticated and are well behaved.

Let me clarify my point:

Good owners + Proper training = Non-aggressive dog

Good parents + Being raised properly = Non-bully kid

Bad owners + Improper training = Michael Vick (sorry, couldn't resist)

Without those things, you get aggressive dogs and bully kids that try to establish dominance over others.  I am just reiterating what someone posted at the beginning of this thread:  It depends on the owner.  (Or parent in my bully kid example)

crazycolt1    6,258
29 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Maybe I shouldn't have tried to compare bad dogs and bad kids.  It just seemed to fit because both are a reflection of the owner/parent.  

What I took away from your original post is that "dogs will be dogs".  But my dog has never attacked another dog or tried to establish a pecking order when it's at a dog park or walking down the Monon with other dogs.  Because my dog is trained properly.  As are most dogs that I come into contact with.  IMO, the aggressive pack animal that you described is in the minority nowadays.  I think most dogs have been domesticated and are well behaved.

Let me clarify my point:

Good owners + Proper training = Non-aggressive dog

Good parents + Being raised properly = Non-bully kid

Bad owners + Improper training = Michael Vick (sorry, couldn't resist)

Without those things, you get aggressive dogs and bully kids that try to establish dominance over others.  I am just reiterating what someone posted at the beginning of this thread:  It depends on the owner.  (Or parent in my bully kid example)

Maybe in your world dog being a pack animal may be a minority but not in the normal real worldwide sense.

I have specialized in dogs and dog behavior for over 40 years.

What you call trained or domesticated is the dogs every need taken care of. Feeding and making it feel safe in your controlled environment. Take that away and the dog would revert right back to the pack animal mentality.

As far as the dog-kid reference I will have to call that a stretch of reality.

There are bad kids all over the place who have parents who have been good parents. This blaming the parents for kids that grow into bad people is not understanding the human factor. Just as the other side of the coin there are great kids that have grown up to be great adults that have come from parents who have no clue on what the meaning of being a parent is.

I know you made light of Vick but he was raised in an environment where dog fighting was not only accepted but was a part of life. Dog fighting has been going on forever and still goes on just like * fighting. Just because there are laws that are suppose to stop things like this does not mean it has stopped at all. There are countries all over the world that have no laws that bans dog fighting, * fighting, bull fighting ect....   Right here in the USA we have what some call sport that abuses animals terrible but is accepted. Horse and dog racing is pure abuse to the animal. Rodeo is another.

Just some food for thought.

32 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe in your world dog being a pack animal may be a minority but not in the normal real worldwide sense.

What you call trained or domesticated is the dogs every need taken care of. Feeding and making it feel safe in your controlled environment. Take that away and the dog would revert right back to the pack animal mentality.

There are bad kids all over the place who have parents who have been good parents. This blaming the parents for kids that grow into bad people is not understanding the human factor. Just as the other side of the coin there are great kids that have grown up to be great adults that have come from parents who have no clue on what the meaning of being a parent is.

I know you made light of Vick but he was raised in an environment where dog fighting was not only accepted but was a part of life. Dog fighting has been going on forever and still goes on just like * fighting. Just because there are laws that are suppose to stop things like this does not mean it has stopped at all. There are countries all over the world that have no laws that bans dog fighting, * fighting, bull fighting ect....   Right here in the USA we have what some call sport that abuses animals terrible but is accepted. Horse and dog racing is pure abuse to the animal. Rodeo is another.

You made my point for me with the bolded and underlined.  We're not taking that away, we are providing it for more and more dogs.  We are progressing toward more civilized dogs.  Just like we are progressing toward more civilized people.

44 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ok, Mr. Specialist.  What percentage of dogs live domesticated lives and what percentage live in "packs"?

crazycolt1    6,258

Ok, Mr. Specialist.  What percentage of dogs live domesticated lives and what percentage live in "packs"?

That depends on what part of the world you are talking about. There are wild dog packs all over the USA in certain parts. Go to different countries and you will find wild dog packs are common.

There are breeders who have packs. I even have a brother in law who owns 6 dogs. They are what you might call domestic but the pack mentality of these dogs are there. There is the alpha right along with the runt. Even Cesar Millan owns a pack of dogs and the have the pack mentality. (The Dog Whisperer)

You seem to want to make an argument over something you fail to see. Throwing a percentage number at me when there is no way to have an answer to that because of the vastness of those numbers.

This may sound funny but even the dog you own now would turn on you if it got hungry enough. It may leave to find food but if you were the last source of food you would be dinner. :spit:

crazycolt1    6,258
2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You made my point for me with the bolded and underlined.  We're not taking that away, we are providing it for more and more dogs.  We are progressing toward more civilized dogs.  Just like we are progressing toward more civilized people.

People and Dogs are not correlated together. When you say we are progressing toward more civilized dogs all that means is the uncivilized dogs are being destroyed at record numbers.

As far as more civilized people I have serious doubts about that in a global view.

I can't get into that without bringing issues that are not allowed in this forum thank heavens.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry if you didn't get the point. You seem to be the only one who didn't.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You seem to want to make an argument over something you fail to see.

Anyone ever tell you that you can be incredibly condescending?

crazycolt1    6,258
5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That's funny?

No, it's reality and I added an emoticon to lighten the seriousness of the issue.

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Anyone ever tell you that you can be incredibly condescending?

Anyone ever tell you that you can be incredibly argumentative?

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Anyone ever tell you that you can be incredibly argumentative?

I'm curious, do you just have a problem when people "talk back" in general, or do you just have a problem when they talk to you the way you talk to them?

crazycolt1    6,258
5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm curious, do you just have a problem when people "talk back" in general, or do you just have a problem when they talk to you the way you talk to them?

Sorry if I have to step on eggshells when you are concerned. Most other members don't take things so personal or even that serious. We all have different personalities and are bound to rub each other the wrong way at times. Do I dwell on those who may or may not rub me wrong? No. I just let it go because we only know each other through this forum and that does not mean on a personal level. If you choose to be personal then I suggest ignore me. It's that simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry if I have to step on eggshells when you are concerned. Most other members don't take things so personal or even that serious. We all have different personalities and are bound to rub each other the wrong way at times. Do I dwell on those who may or may not rub me wrong? No. I just let it go because we only know each other through this forum and that does not mean on a personal level. If you choose to be personal then I suggest ignore me. It's that simple.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get personal.  I'm an animal lover so I got a little worked up.

Myles    701
6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Vick is a piece of carp.  What he did to those dogs cannot be excused.

crazycolt1    6,258
2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to get personal.  I'm an animal lover so I got a little worked up.

I didn't take it personal so no harm done. I too am an animal lover.

crazycolt1    6,258
24 minutes ago, Myles said:

Vick is a piece of carp.  What he did to those dogs cannot be excused.

No doubt, I totally agree.

What he did was not unusual in that world right along with what was done to ex race dogs. And that was not privy to the southern states.