Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Time Doing a Mock Draft 2017

large.IMG_0284.PNG.1e0f347a8956b8f944c4c36afa27d935.PNGlarge.IMG_0283.PNG.eba5c1e9b7ff201a41f216a3be348947.PNGlarge.IMG_0282.PNG.6805242f9249a330ffc6c613a667ee5f.PNGlarge.IMG_0281.PNG.4a5fc4b4b9077b91e15722c077e3b5e6.PNG

Never really done a mock draft (besides fantasy), so I thought I'd try it out with 4 different first round selections to see how it dictated the other picks. I admittedly started to just pick BPA in the middle of the 4th because in most cases because I wasn't familiar with the player or whether they'd even be a scheme fit, so I was really just focusing on how the first 4 picks played out.

10 hours ago, Briggs32 said:

If we pass on Lattimore for McCaffery I would cry. 

Ha, yeah same here. That was the 4th one that I did, & I was curious to see how the rest of the picks would shake out if we did indeed go RB in the 1st. Overall, I wouldn't hate that haul of talent, but we miss out on a whole lot of bonafide blue chip defensive players by taking McCaffery.

36 minutes ago, stitches said:

it's very addictive, isn't it? When I sit down for a simulated mock draft, I can't help but do 4-5 mocks.

When I have down time at work, I don't realize that I just did 7 mocks until I check my email and see the results sitting there (I use Draftwired). It's a real problem for me.

Tabor in the third? Harris in the second? Jones in the third? I can't see it...

I do like that last draft, though. But I've been reading stuff lately that says Jones is still likely to go in the first, which I don't think is that far fetched, if he medical has no red flags. He should make a full recovery from his injury and possible be ready to play by midseason (conservatively). Barnett and Williams in the first and second, some nice competition at other positions... I'd be pleased with that draft.

large.IMG_0281.PNG.4a5fc4b4b9077b91e1572

Just now, Shive said:

When I have down time at work, I don't realize that I just did 7 mocks until I check my email and see the results sitting there (I use Draftwired). It's a real problem for me.

My name is stitches and I have a problem...

I actually haven't done many of these at all.  I did a handful of them when the Colts didn't make the post season.  I was addicted the first year I found them, but since then, i'ts just kind of like playing Madden on PS.  The game is pretty much the same as it has been since the 2000's, just different names and having to adapt to a new controller setting every so often.  

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Tabor in the third? Harris in the second? Jones in the third? I can't see it...

I do like that last draft, though. But I've been reading stuff lately that says Jones is still likely to go in the first, which I don't think is that far fetched, if he medical has no red flags. He should make a full recovery from his injury and possible be ready to play by midseason (conservatively). Barnett and Williams in the first and second, some nice competition at other positions... I'd be pleased with that draft.

large.IMG_0281.PNG.4a5fc4b4b9077b91e1572

No corners though, that's the big flaw with this one. Got 3 edge rushers, but probably should've taken a CB in the first instead of Barnett.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

it's very addictive, isn't it? When I sit down for a simulated mock draft, I can't help but do 4-5 mocks.

For sure, and I'll do the same thing come fantasy season. I sit on my patio, beer in hand, and bang out 4 or 5 mocks on the iPad just to get a sense of where players are going. It's pretty fun.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

No corners though, that's the big flaw with this one. Got 3 edge rushers, but probably should've taken a CB in the first instead of Barnett.

You got Sidney Jones. If the concern is that he doesn't play this year, I'm with you, but you know how I feel about drafting for need...

Edit: Jones will be a good starter in the future. The team seems content to let Melvin start this year, which I disagree with, but oh well. 

Edited by Superman

1 hour ago, Superman said:

You got Sidney Jones. If the concern is that he doesn't play this year, I'm with you, but you know how I feel about drafting for need...

Edit: Jones will be a good starter in the future. The team seems content to let Melvin start this year, which I disagree with, but oh well. 

I can't believe that is accurate.   I will be shocked if the day one CB2 is Melvin

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I can't believe that is accurate.   I will be shocked if the day one CB2 is Melvin

I don't agree with it, but as far as we know, they didn't even flinch at free agent corners this offseason. I suppose there are some veterans still available if they really want one after the draft, and they could add college free agents to duke it out. There are other young players on the roster that the staff might like. 

But Irsay, Ballard and Pagano all mentioned corner as a targeted position a couple weeks ago, so more likely than not, they come out of the draft with a corner or two. 

Just now, Superman said:

I don't agree with it, but as far as we know, they didn't even flinch at free agent corners this offseason. I suppose there are some veterans still available if they really want one after the draft, and they could add college free agents to duke it out. There are other young players on the roster that the staff might like. 

But Irsay, Ballard and Pagano all mentioned corner as a targeted position a couple weeks ago, so more likely than not, they come out of the draft with a corner or two. 

I'm positive they draft one in the first two rounds

3 hours ago, Superman said:

How did you conclude that?

That never even occurred to me......

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Purely conjecture, nothing very convincing.

OK.....

For what little it's worth (with the emphasis on "little")  I'm expecting two picks to be used on Corners,  and one of them coming in the 1st or 2nd round.       I think that player is the front runner to start opposite Vonte....

Just thinking out loud....

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK.....

For what little it's worth (with the emphasis on "little")  I'm expecting two picks to be used on Corners,  and one of them coming in the 1st or 2nd round.       I think that player is the front runner to start opposite Vonte....

Just thinking out loud....

Where we differ is that I don't have any expectations with regard to the draft. I don't know what positions the Colts will come away with, or in what rounds, and I don't know at what positions they'll come away with starting caliber players. It would be good if they can grab a starting corner in the draft, but who knows how the board will fall?

Where we differ is that I don't have any expectations with regard to the draft. I don't know what positions the Colts will come away with, or in what rounds, and I don't know at what positions they'll come away with starting caliber players. It would be good if they can grab a starting corner in the draft, but who knows how the board will fall?

But that's the beauty of this draft...

It's one of the deepest drafts for corners in years....     so there are starting caliber corners beyond two rounds...

I wouldn't expect the Colts to gamble that they'll find their corners in the mid and late rounds....    I'd be shocked if they didn't grab their first corner in the first two rounds....     I see no reason to wait....    same with the other top need...    pass rush....     I see that being addressed in the first two rounds....     and since there are plenty in this draft,   I hope after the first two rounds,   that those two top needs will be addressed....    and we won't have to reach for either....      the board sets up beautifully for the Colts this year.       

Everything we need and want is there for the taking....

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But that's the beauty of this draft...

It's one of the deepest drafts for corners in years....     so there are starting caliber corners beyond two rounds...

I wouldn't expect the Colts to gamble that they'll find their corners in the mid and late rounds....    I'd be shocked if they didn't grab their first corner in the first two rounds....     I see no reason to wait....    same with the other top need...    pass rush....     I see that being addressed in the first two rounds....     and since there are plenty in this draft,   I hope after the first two rounds,   that those two top needs will be addressed....    and we won't have to reach for either....      the board sets up beautifully for the Colts this year.       

Everything we need and want is there for the taking....

So, in either order, you expect a pass rusher and a corner in the first two rounds. I think that's a reasonable wish list.

I just don't know how the board will shape up, or how Ballard will respond to it. The Colts have been pretty vocal about wanting to trade down, so if they aren't in love with anyone at #15 and they can get a good deal, I assume their strategy gets altered (and I'm sure they have contingency plans for all the different variables). 

I don't expect it, but I won't be shocked if Lamp is the pick at #15, or if an ILB is the pick in a trade back scenario. Maybe a safety in the first two rounds. I'm just not even going to try to predict what they're going to do. Not only is this a brand new leadership and direction, they are openly vocal about wanting to acquire more picks, so I expect there to be a lot of changes by the time the draft is done.

So, in either order, you expect a pass rusher and a corner in the first two rounds. I think that's a reasonable wish list.

I just don't know how the board will shape up, or how Ballard will respond to it. The Colts have been pretty vocal about wanting to trade down, so if they aren't in love with anyone at #15 and they can get a good deal, I assume their strategy gets altered (and I'm sure they have contingency plans for all the different variables). 

I don't expect it, but I won't be shocked if Lamp is the pick at #15, or if an ILB is the pick in a trade back scenario. Maybe a safety in the first two rounds. I'm just not even going to try to predict what they're going to do. Not only is this a brand new leadership and direction, they are openly vocal about wanting to acquire more picks, so I expect there to be a lot of changes by the time the draft is done.

Agreed.....     things are very, very fluid.      It's pretty stunning to me.

There are guys who I love who I think will be there at 15,  but what I hope to hear is.....     "There is a trade!   It's the Colts and...........   "        And then find out who we trade with,  and how far back we go and what pick(s) we get in return.        And I think that could happen multiple times this year because of all the talk about trading back and wanting to collect picks.      It feels a bit weird to be rooting for "There is a trade!"

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed.....     things are very, very fluid.      It's pretty stunning to me.

There are guys who I love who I think will be there at 15,  but what I hope to hear is.....     "There is a trade!   It's the Colts and...........   "        And then find out who we trade with,  and how far back we go and what pick(s) we get in return.        And I think that could happen multiple times this year because of all the talk about trading back and wanting to collect picks.      It feels a bit weird to be rooting for "There is a trade!"

I feel like I'm always rooting for a trade back.