Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will not be trading for Richard Sherman

TKnight24

This stance from Ballard, in my view, is both predictable and 100% correct.  

They want to and need to get younger.  They want desperately to build from within and they want the fiscal conservatism that comes from the building through the draft.  Sherman is a guy you bring if you need that one thing to put you over the top to make you a contender and that does not describe the Colts.

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

This stance from Ballard, in my view, is both predictable and 100% correct.  

They want to and need to get younger.  They want desperately to build from within and they want the fiscal conservatism that comes from the building through the draft.  Sherman is a guy you bring if you need that one thing to put you over the top to make you a contender and that does not describe the Colts.

I halfway expected you to say "thank god..." instead of "dear god..."

I would argue it's more about not wanting to trade away any picks rather than dealing with the age and cap room as the main reasons. Sherman only has two more years of his contract and it's not like he's that old as we signed Al Woods and Margus Hunt for two years as well.

11 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Why is that? 

He's starting to get up there in age, as he's currently 29.  He has a decently heavy price tag at over $10 mil a year.  He's also boisterous and speaks his mind, which could result in clashes with coaches or within the locker room.  In addition to all that, you'd have to give up quite a lot for him, a first round pick at the very least. 

As said earlier, I think he's the type of player you take if you're just a piece or two away from a championship.  If you're like Indy, with plenty of holes in the roster and a desire to build through the draft, you don't invest that much into him.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Agreed, plus I think he benefits greatly from the system.  

He looked very beatable when Kam Chancellor was holding out. I definitely think he benefits from the system and players around him.  He's still an elite player, but you have to be careful about what kind of system you put him in

Richard Sherman may be worth a first and another pick to a different team.    That team is likely much closer to being a Super Bowl contender than the 2017 Colts are.

But this year's Colts team is NOT one great player away.     And those picks --- in theory --- should be with the Colts for the next 6-10 years,   and Richard Sherman,  at age 29,  simply won't.

We need to get much younger.    And considering this is a very talented class of Corner's,  Ballard is making the wise Big Picture decision that he's paid to make.       Smart move.   

19 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

He looked very beatable when Kam Chancellor was holding out. I definitely think he benefits from the system and players around him.  He's still an elite player, but you have to be careful about what kind of system you put him in

This. 

He seems to thrive in zone and seems to get beat quite a bit in man coverage. I agree, it also depends on who he has helping him over the top.