Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Mock Draft #2

I was against doing a second one but why not.  I went with a few players that have not been mentioned but would fit well for us.  Also, I am predicting one trade with Seattle that would be nice, and of course I am being hopeful it even happens.

Trade #1: Colts trade #15 and #158(5th round) with Seattle and receive #26, #58, and #106 (3rd round comp pick)

Reason for the trade is Seattle needs o-line help and we are willing to move back for someone while getting some picks as well.

Round 1 #26 - Jarrad Davis ILB - Great fit for our D and will be day 1 starter.  Fills a solid need for us with a great player who I see moving into the tail end of the 1st round.  He is someone who has gained momentum with this forum and scouts as well.  

Round 2 #46 - Tyus Bowser OLB - Some might consider moving him inside but I would keep him outside rushing the passer.  Add about 5-10 more pounds of muscle and get him around 255 and he will be fine.  Has great potential and produced very well in college.

Round 2 #58 - Dalvin Tomlison DT/NT - Solid inside guy who can help with the run defense.  I want a high potential guy here because I am not huge on Parry and I see him as someone who can be an impact player day 1.

Round 3 #80 - Rasual Douglas CB - I like his size and potential on the outside.  Provides someone who can hopefully come in and be an impact right away.

Round 3 #106 - Taylor Moton G/T - He is a solid pass and run blocker who can hopefully become a starter for us and solidify the right side.  Also I see him as being a Joe Reitz type guy who will be a flexible swing player.  Depth plus competition for Haeg and Clark right away.  

Round 4 #121 - Kareem Hunt RB - I have liked him this entire off-season for us.  Great balance and vision.  Good size and I feel like this guy has great potential.  Could become our mid to late round gem that we keep hoping for.

Round 4 #137 - Channing Stribling CB - Same as Rasual, he has good size and potential.  Pretty solid in college but buried among the talent at this position. 

Round 4 #144 - Devonte Fields OLB/DE - You cannot have enough pass rushers and I see this guy being a good player if he can stay healthy and out of any trouble.  Also, he had some bad things happen that hurt him but you get him to commit to the game he can become a very dangerous pass rusher.

I traded away the 5th round pick and did not do any mid or late round trades.  Also, I would say we grab the NT from UCLA and also a TE in UDFA.  I did not want to spend a pick on a TE.

Let me know your thoughts....

Fair trade values.  I won't be surprised if we trade back, but it seems about 16 teams have the same idea.

My only complaint with the players is the same with every mock that takes a RB that late.  In this case, Hunt is basically a slower Turbin.  I don't see how that's value added.  If we're going to take someone that is not a potential future starter, I'd rather go with a different dimension guy, like Pumphrey.

Other than my minor note, you filled all the spots. 

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Fair trade values.  I won't be surprised if we trade back, but it seems about 16 teams have the same idea.

My only complaint with the players is the same with every mock that takes a RB that late.  In this case, Hunt is basically a slower Turbin.  I don't see how that's value added.  If we're going to take someone that is not a potential future starter, I'd rather go with a different dimension guy, like Pumphrey.

Other than my minor note, you filled all the spots. 

Honestly I thought about Pumphrey but went with Hunt because I think he has better upside than expected.  Plus he has better vision than Turbin.  Thank you for the feedback though!

Trading #15 to the Saints for 32, 76, 103 would normally result in -162 point loss, or 15%! In this deep draft, it is worth doing, not to mention the Saints may be very receptive to this deal as well.

If we're between a rock and a hard place at 15 (Haason Reddick, Rueben Foster gone) - we may have a player of late 1st round caliber available (Charles Harris) at a position of need versus a BPA like OJ Howard who is 100% not at an immediate position of need. Shoot, that'd be horrible value in either case, would be better to trade down and lose %points if it means gaining some 2-3rd rounders.

Here's my draft with that deal.

32 - Chidobe Awuzie (CB)

46 - Derek Rivers (OLB)

76 - Raekwon McMillen (MLB)

80 - Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE)

103 - George Kittle (TE)

121 - Nico Siragusa (G)

137 - Brian Hill (RB)

144 - Chad Wheeler (OT)

158 - Rayshawn Jenkins (S)

17 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I was against doing a second one but why not.  I went with a few players that have not been mentioned but would fit well for us.  Also, I am predicting one trade with Seattle that would be nice, and of course I am being hopeful it even happens.

Trade #1: Colts trade #15 and #158(5th round) with Seattle and receive #26, #58, and #106 (3rd round comp pick)

Reason for the trade is Seattle needs o-line help and we are willing to move back for someone while getting some picks as well.

Round 1 #26 - Jarrad Davis ILB - Great fit for our D and will be day 1 starter.  Fills a solid need for us with a great player who I see moving into the tail end of the 1st round.  He is someone who has gained momentum with this forum and scouts as well.  

Round 2 #46 - Tyus Bowser OLB - Some might consider moving him inside but I would keep him outside rushing the passer.  Add about 5-10 more pounds of muscle and get him around 255 and he will be fine.  Has great potential and produced very well in college.

Round 2 #58 - Dalvin Tomlison DT/NT - Solid inside guy who can help with the run defense.  I want a high potential guy here because I am not huge on Parry and I see him as someone who can be an impact player day 1.

Round 3 #80 - Rasual Douglas CB - I like his size and potential on the outside.  Provides someone who can hopefully come in and be an impact right away.

Round 3 #106 - Taylor Moton G/T - He is a solid pass and run blocker who can hopefully become a starter for us and solidify the right side.  Also I see him as being a Joe Reitz type guy who will be a flexible swing player.  Depth plus competition for Haeg and Clark right away.  

Round 4 #121 - Kareem Hunt RB - I have liked him this entire off-season for us.  Great balance and vision.  Good size and I feel like this guy has great potential.  Could become our mid to late round gem that we keep hoping for.

Round 4 #137 - Channing Stribling CB - Same as Rasual, he has good size and potential.  Pretty solid in college but buried among the talent at this position. 

Round 4 #144 - Devonte Fields OLB/DE - You cannot have enough pass rushers and I see this guy being a good player if he can stay healthy and out of any trouble.  Also, he had some bad things happen that hurt him but you get him to commit to the game he can become a very dangerous pass rusher.

I traded away the 5th round pick and did not do any mid or late round trades.  Also, I would say we grab the NT from UCLA and also a TE in UDFA.  I did not want to spend a pick on a TE.

Let me know your thoughts....

Very, very good mock IMO. Davis has become one of my favorite players in this draft. If I had to choose between him and Foster, I`d go Davis. Also like especially the Bowser, Tomlinson and Douglas picks.  

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Very, very good mock IMO. Davis has become one of my favorite players in this draft. If I had to choose between him and Foster, I`d go Davis. Also like especially the Bowser, Tomlinson and Douglas picks.  

The more I watch Davis the more I see a solid ILB for the future.  Not the Reuben is not going to be but Davis just reminds me of the guy to build around.  Every time I watch tape he looks more and more fluid and athletic. I do like Hassan but I would rather us trade back and grab a pick or two.

That is really solid, w/ trades and those selections, for your 2nd mock. Maybe you should keep this mock till draft and hope it works out that way.

My only critique is the concept that in your mock draft we'd make a trade to acquire 1 more pick in the 2nd, but then we don't use one of our first few picks on a Corner, with a DB Class like this. I bring that point up because we could get a 1st round talent Corner in the 2nd, with one of those 3 picks. But if we drafted the DBs you mocked, then it would be ok cause I like Douglas & Stribling, but it's hard to imagine one of our first 3 picks not being a DB.

6 hours ago, BlueTruth said:

That is really solid, w/ trades and those selections, for your 2nd mock. Maybe you should keep this mock till draft and hope it works out that way.

My only critique is the concept that in your mock draft we'd make a trade to acquire 1 more pick in the 2nd, but then we don't use one of our first few picks on a Corner, with a DB Class like this. I bring that point up because we could get a 1st round talent Corner in the 2nd, with one of those 3 picks. But if we drafted the DBs you mocked, then it would be ok cause I like Douglas & Stribling, but it's hard to imagine one of our first 3 picks not being a DB.

I completely agree with you on that.  With this draft I went against the grain and against what I have been saying as well.  I will say though that with a position class stacked like the CB's are then you can afford to wait a little compared to others that have talent drop off hard like other spots.  The o-line, ILB, and d-line spots do not have the deep pool like EDGE/OLB guys and DB's.  But I would still agree with you and we will see how Ballard approaches it.

8 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Like them all except Tomlinson but with the Hankins signing do you have an alternative pick in the 2nd?

I would honestly substitute with BPA and lean towards the top safety on the board. Or I would still keep Tomlinson and have him roatate and possibly have him playing on the end. 

I'm not sold on trading back but if the Colts do that then another starting quality CB is their biggest need. Along with a quality slot CB. To me, that screams two CBs in the first four picks. Especially with the depth of CB in this draft. And I'd also take a safety with one of the eight picks you have in your scenario. No need to pick a DT with the Hankins signing. 

All that said, thanks for working so hard on this mock. It makes the pre draft season better.