Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we the "mystery team"

Reportedly a mystery team has been pursuing Johnathan Hankins. NY seems to be standing strong with there offer and I really doubt Hankins will take that unless he absolutely has too. We have the 5th most cap space available with a HUGE need at NT. Landing Hankins for under 8 mil would be a steal IMO

I'm with all of you guys, it does seem pretty doubtful because CB isn't going HAM in FA. At the same time, we obviously showed great interest in Dontari Poe. Maybe CB doesn't view Hankins on the same level as Poe, but for the price we could ultimately get him compared to what we offered Poe it would make sense. Im 100% for it but am not expecting anything.

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

But we're talking about Johnathan Hankins, his price tag at this point is not the issue. It was at first, but now he probably could be had for 6 mil. 

Not against picking him up at all, just not at the high price he apparently wants. No other reason a guy as good as him is still on the market a month into FA.

If we can get him for $5-6mil then great, much more than that and I'd probably pass.

The "mystery team" is a figment of his agent to drive up the price by the giants back closer to what his client wanted, let's be real. Funny how this story comes out right after the giants lose a DL to injury last week...

"Mystery".. Mystery solved :thmup:

12 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Ballard doesnt want good players in FA, thats already been established.

I hope this is just a poor choice of words,  rather than a serious statement.......

Otherwise.....      good luck being taken seriously by anyone who knows football...

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope this is just a poor choice of words,  rather than a serious statement.......

Otherwise.....      good luck being taken seriously by anyone who knows football...

He was probably being sarcastic if not, oh well. I like the fact we have got younger alone.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

It was a completely serious statement. The man basically said so himself.  He isnt willing to spend to bring in good FAs.  It's a statement of fact. 

I think I'm alright on the football knowledge part, thanks though. 

20 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

You people are something else. You can't handle anything that isn't direct praise. 

This is the guys first free agency so I think most are giving him some slack and just waiting for the Draft. I think by getting younger he did good there alone. If we stink in 3 years then feel free jump all over him but to be negative about Ballard after 1 free agency period isn't fair IMO.

14 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

You ninja posted before my edit.  I said he wasnt willing to spend the money it takes to get good players through FA.  I never even said that was a bad approach.

Ok lol I just quoted what was there but I got it haha

Honestly, with all the other needs the Colts have at LB, CB, S and RB, not to mention a potential TE and G, getting an experienced and talented NT like Ballard at a fair price for a couple of years would be a great move. I hope they stay on it and get the guy. If not, NT remains a big problem.

12 hours ago, Indeee said:

The "mystery team" is a figment of his agent to drive up the price by the giants back closer to what his client wanted, let's be real. Funny how this story comes out right after the giants lose a DL to injury last week...

"Mystery".. Mystery solved :thmup:

Or a team really is interested. Nothing has been solved at all, he's still available with no creditable sources confirming why. 

Hankins played in a scheme that ran a 4-3.

The Colts run a hybrid 3-4.

So why in the world would you assume that we're looking to sign Hankins? I would be shocked if the Colts are the team looking into him. We missed out on Poe, and I think we will add a DT in the draft.

Hankins doesn't fit what we run here defensively. Cool it with the posts about him coming here. It's been old since the first one started months ago.

7 hours ago, I'm Negan said:

So why in the world would you assume that we're looking to sign Hankins? I would be shocked if the Colts are the team looking into him. We missed out on Poe, and I think we will add a DT in the draft.

Hankins doesn't fit what we run here defensively. Cool it with the posts about him coming here. It's been old since the first one started months ago.

He can be used in the same role, in same assignments that he had in his successful years with the Giants.

8 hours ago, I'm Negan said:

Not saying that I want Hankins, but you need to take a look at our formations.  Our hybrid 3-4 looks a lot like a 4-3 on passing downs.  Hankins could easily fit our D.

Is he worth what he wants?  That's a different story.

8 hours ago, I'm Negan said:

CB wanted to sign Poe and it didn't work out.  He wants an upgrade at NT.  Hankins played a similar NT role with the Giants until they brought in Snacks Harrison last year, therefore changing his role.  He would be a perfect NT for us.  Unfortunately he appears to be asking for to much money at this time.  CB could possibly trade for one but he most likely will draft a NT.  Hankins is still a possibility until he signs somewhere else.  Hankins would be a clear up grade over anybody on our current roster at NT and he's only 25. 

I would be curious of what he thinks his value is right now.  The thought of 10m/year should be long gone by now since no team has shown interest.  Plus the Giants are the only team with an offer out there for him and it is a 1 year deal worth far less.  We could have him on a 1 year 5mil deal but I think Ballard is wanting to have someone signed for a little longer and Hankins will probably settle for a one year prove it deal with the Giants.  Seems to be the theme this FA period.