Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz Semi-Final Mock Draft

Draft is just under 20 days away. A lot of pro days have come and gone. A more clear picture of what might happen in the draft is becoming available. Here are my predictions.

Round 1: Hassan Reddick, ILB Temple- I see a ILB as being the BPA at 15 whether it's Foster, Davis or Reddick. In this case I'm going with Reddick who is a matchup nightmare. He's got great size and athletic ability. Can do it all and doesn't have any injury or character concerns. Day 1 starter.

Round 2: Cordrea Tankersly, CB Clemson- A steal at this point. He's big, fast, and a great press corner. Day 1 starter opposite Vontae. This is the Ballard prototype for CB's.

Round 3: Dont'a Foreman, RB Texas- I think the idea that there's a certain RB that fits our scheme is wrong. Any talented runner will work. Foreman had incredible production at Texas and showed good speed by running a 4.40 at his pro day and looked comfortable catching the ball. Has more shiftiness than his size suggests if you watch the tape carefully. Pagano alluded to taking a young back early.

Round 4(121): John Johnson, FS Boston College: A very good safety in a good class. Johnson has great instincts and ball skills. Looked great at his pro-day as well. He's not a banger in the run game but he can play single high or man. Excellent closing speed despite the 4.61 40 time. Challenges Green for the starting FS spot.

Round 4(137): Isaac Asiata, OG Utah- While Haeg could become the full time starting guard that's no sure thing and Mewhort is in a contract year and often injured. Asiata can come in and just compete. He has a real nasty streak to his game and nice power. Adds depth to the line and potential starter in 1-2 years.

Round 4(144): Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, NT Utah- Took him a round early just to be certain, but Stevie is going to be 26 in June. Despite that he's a monster who was the Rose Bowl defensive MVP. He's 6'1" 331 with a strong punch. A force in the run game. He'll start over Parry if not rotate with him.

Round 5: JoJo Mathis, Edge Washington- A developmental pass rusher with upside. Overshadowed by his other talented teammates because of a lack of athleticism. But he's 6'2", 266, with 33" arms. Has good hand usage and can bend. I think his potential is at SAM. If Maggitt can make the roster, so can Mathis.

I left needs at CB, but I feel everything else is taken care of. You can't fix it all in one draft. This gives us playmakers early and good developmental players later. We probably get more picks by trading back but those are hard to predict .

This is mostly every mock draft I come up with, so I like it! I've warmed up to Foreman a bit more after watching more tape on him. I'd still prefer Hunt, but I wouldn't be mad at Foreman being the pick at all.

I'm not this biggest fan of Mathis. His lack of athleticism is concerning as he has a really slow get off and looks like he's wearing cement shoes when he's rushing. My favorites as of right now for later round pass rushers are Ejuan Price (undersized, but quick and would be a great situational rusher at first) and Samson Ebukam (some info on him: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2088431/samson-ebukam).

I'd still be amped if the draft went this way.

18 minutes ago, Shive said:

This is mostly every mock draft I come up with, so I like it! I've warmed up to Foreman a bit more after watching more tape on him. I'd still prefer Hunt, but I wouldn't be mad at Foreman being the pick at all.

I'm not this biggest fan of Mathis. His lack of athleticism is concerning as he has a really slow get off and looks like he's wearing cement shoes when he's rushing. My favorites as of right now for later round pass rushers are Ejuan Price (undersized, but quick and would be a great situational rusher at first) and Samson Ebukam (some info on him: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2088431/samson-ebukam).

I'd still be amped if the draft went this way.

You could go with Hunt as well if Foreman is gone. Foreman is underrated I think. Like Fournette people say he's a 1-dimensional runner. I see more than that. 

I think Mathis can be coached up though. Have him drop down to 255 and he'll add some speed. In the 5th round it's a decent pick IMO.

44 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Draft is just under 20 days away. A lot of pro days have come and gone. A more clear picture of what might happen in the draft is becoming available. Here are my predictions.

Round 1: Hassan Reddick, ILB Temple- I see a ILB as being the BPA at 15 whether it's Foster, Davis or Reddick. In this case I'm going with Reddick who is a matchup nightmare. He's got great size and athletic ability. Can do it all and doesn't have any injury or character concerns. Day 1 starter.

Round 2: Cordrea Tankersly, CB Clemson- A steal at this point. He's big, fast, and a great press corner. Day 1 starter opposite Vontae. This is the Ballard prototype for CB's.

Round 3: Dont'a Foreman, RB Texas- I think the idea that there's a certain RB that fits our scheme is wrong. Any talented runner will work. Foreman had incredible production at Texas and showed good speed by running a 4.40 at his pro day and looked comfortable catching the ball. Has more shiftiness than his size suggests if you watch the tape carefully. Pagano alluded to taking a young back early.

Round 4(121): John Johnson, FS Boston College: A very good safety in a good class. Johnson has great instincts and ball skills. Looked great at his pro-day as well. He's not a banger in the run game but he can play single high or man. Excellent closing speed despite the 4.61 40 time. Challenges Green for the starting FS spot.

Round 4(137): Isaac Asiata, OG Utah- While Haeg could become the full time starting guard that's no sure thing and Mewhort is in a contract year and often injured. Asiata can come in and just compete. He has a real nasty streak to his game and nice power. Adds depth to the line and potential starter in 1-2 years.

Round 4(144): Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, NT Utah- Took him a round early just to be certain, but Stevie is going to be 26 in June. Despite that he's a monster who was the Rose Bowl defensive MVP. He's 6'1" 331 with a strong punch. A force in the run game. He'll start over Parry if not rotate with him.

Round 5: JoJo Mathis, Edge Washington- A developmental pass rusher with upside. Overshadowed by his other talented teammates because of a lack of athleticism. But he's 6'2", 266, with 33" arms. Has good hand usage and can bend. I think his potential is at SAM. If Maggitt can make the roster, so can Mathis.

I left needs at CB, but I feel everything else is taken care of. You can't fix it all in one draft. This gives us playmakers early and good developmental players later. We probably get more picks by trading back but those are hard to predict .

I love that whole Utah O-line. Asiata and Bolles were great. JJ Dielman had top 100 hype before he got injured and was moved inside. Now I'm hearing Asiata's stock is on the rise. He might not be available in the 4th. Greg Cosell seems to love him. He said he reminds him of Gabe Jackson who was one of the best guards in the league last year.

I love your mock draft for the most part. I'm not the biggest Foreman fan and I'd rather have about 3-4 other backs at that position, but oh well, you can't have it all. The USC NT is intriguing, I haven't watched too much of him. I need to go over the NT prospects this weekend in order to be able to talk more intelligently about them.

Mathis will be a steal if he falls to the 5th too.

I think you reached on a good number of players and I'd rather get a pass rusher earlier than round 5. If we don't get a Charles Harris or Takk McKinley type player early, I want Derek Rivers in the 3rd.

I'd be okay with Reddick in the 1st if Ballard couldn't trade down though.

23 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I think you reached on a good number of players and I'd rather get a pass rusher earlier than round 5. If we don't get a Charles Harris or Takk McKinley type player early, I want Derek Rivers in the 3rd.

I'd be okay with Reddick in the 1st if Ballard couldn't trade down though.

The good pass rushers were gone by 15, and there's no reason to reach for need. Plus I'm not a big fan of small school pass rushers unless it's a guy who everyone is high on like Khalil Mack. We'll have a shot at true pass rushers next year. 

Love Joe Mathis and Stevie late.

Joe is an underrated pass rusher and Stevie is a big man who does his job and plugs the DL.

Reddick is one of my draft crushes so I'm all for him

Cordrea has been one of my favorite CBs since a few months ago aswell

Not as familiar with Asiata or Johnson.

Foreman I'd only take if the RBs I like more were taken, although he is good

Nice mock

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

"Any talented runner will work."

I disagree. Otherwise guys like Trent Richardson wouldnt be the busts they are.

Trent Richardson wasn't talented though. His line at Alabama was. Foreman is more talented. No one on that Texas OL is getting drafted.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Trent Richardson wasn't talented though. His line at Alabama was. Foreman is more talented. No one on that Texas OL is getting drafted.

Thats revisionist history. The dude was selected 3rd overall. Pretty much everyone had him as a higher 1st round pick or at bare minimum top 1 or 2 RB in the class. He was talented. He just didnt pan out because he never was able to read at NFL speeds.  He may not be "talented" now, but that doesnt help when you evaluate guys today to be on your team the next 4 years. The bottom line is, GMs miss on guys with talent, and just because they dont pan out doesnt mean they somehow lost their talent. That being the case, not just any RB will do. Were case in point, been trying to turn a day 3 RB into a starter pretty much since Edgerrin James left, and it hasnt worked. Im not saying invest a 1st, but its almost science that the sooner you take a back, the better your chances he will be good enough to be your lead guy. Foreman may be it, I dont think so, but i may be wrong. I just disagreed with the philosophy that any RB will do.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Thats revisionist history. The dude was selected 3rd overall. Pretty much everyone had him as a higher 1st round pick or at bare minimum top 1 or 2 RB in the class. He was talented. He just didnt pan out because he never was able to read at NFL speeds.  He may not be "talented" now, but that doesnt help when you evaluate guys today to be on your team the next 4 years. The bottom line is, GMs miss on guys with talent, and just because they dont pan out doesnt mean they somehow lost their talent. That being the case, not just any RB will do. Were case in point, been trying to turn a day 3 RB into a starter pretty much since Edgerrin James left, and it hasnt worked.

There were people like Jim Brown who weren't high on Richardson. And let's not forget he went #3 overall because the BROWNS took him that high. The same team that drafted Brandon Weeden and Johnny Manziel.

And I didn't say any RB will do, I said any "talented" RB will do. We don't need a specific type of RB, just a talented one. We need a David Johnson, Jordan Howard, Melvin Gordon, Demarco Murray, etc...We just need a good rusher who can help set up the pass game.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There were people like Jim Brown who weren't high on Richardson. And let's not forget he went #3 overall because the BROWNS took him that high. The same team that drafted Brandon Weeden and Johnny Manziel.

And I didn't say any RB will do, I said any "talented" RB will do. We don't need a specific type of RB, just a talented one. We need a David Johnson, Jordan Howard, Melvin Gordon, Demarco Murray, etc...We just need a good rusher who can help set up the pass game.

Fair enough. I know our margin of disagreement is more technical than anything, but at the end of the day, we both just want a dependable guy.

No way Mathis falls to the 5th. Tankersly is drastically overrated. Always grabbing and tugging, doesn't change directions smoothly and stiff in the hips, 29.5" vertical will have him getting mossed regularly, and not a great fit for our man coverage scheme. 

Best draft I have seen in awhile. My only two questions are on Asiata being there in the 4th given the dearth of lineman, and I think there will be a better option at CB than Tankersly at point. I have seen a lot who have him in the beginning of the 3rd. Still I like it overall.

10 hours ago, Tmoney said:

No way Mathis falls to the 5th. Tankersly is drastically overrated. Always grabbing and tugging, doesn't change directions smoothly and stiff in the hips, 29.5" vertical will have him getting mossed regularly, and not a great fit for our man coverage scheme. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-cordrea-tankersley-cb-clemson/

On 4/8/2017 at 5:20 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Whaaaat? Connor Williams is a stud. He caught my attention in the few Texas games I saw. 

Would love to get Joe Mixon if he falls to the 3rd! I know what many people think about him and i don't stand for what he did either, BUT like they say, everyone deserves a second chance. He is VERY talented and it's said he could go somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round! Depends on what team is willing to take on his past character issue! But with the right plan for him i believe he is a steal in the 3rd!!  On another note Chris Ballard was asked about him and he himself basically said he hasn't looked into him much! So i guess that's pretty much saying Colts not drafting him! Lol