Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin Lewis?

shakedownstreet

3 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

Purely hypothetically...

If Pagano has a sub par season and is let go, and the same happens with the Bengals & Marvin Lewis, what would you think about the Colts pursuing Lewis?

In either case, what sort of market do you think would be out there for Marvin Lewis?

Nuts

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

One bad playoff coach for another bad playoff coach.

It would be different for sure, not necessarily much of an upgrade though imo.

I'm thinking Dave Taub would be CB's pick after this year.

How is pagano a bad playoff coach? He's 3-3.......

4 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

Purely hypothetically...

If Pagano has a sub par season and is let go, and the same happens with the Bengals & Marvin Lewis, what would you think about the Colts pursuing Lewis?

April Fools Day was last Saturday, right?

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

It's  Definitely a possibility.

Nothing like getting a career Special Teams coach to lead us to the promised land.

Seems to have worked for Baltimore, and when you think about hiring a special teams coach, it makes sense he would be a good head coach. No one works with more players and more different situations which you need to plan for. You have to be great at integrating personalities and let players know this is an integral part of the game, although these are not the star players. Getting them to buy in is a very special quality when you consider how many, and probably how much each situation changes the personnel. You have to work with both sides, the offense and defense. Besides the Head Coach, I doubt any coach knows the personnel of a team as well.

One more point, I have heard and read nothing but positive things about him. I like the thought process!

Seems like I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind at least considering Lewis.  He's shown that he can surround himself with a good staff (Zimmer and Gruden were former assistants and both are doing pretty well as head coaches) and he can evaluate talent well.  I think he's a good leader, despite his playoff history.  I'm not saying we should hire him, but I think we should at least consider him if he's available.

13 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Seems like I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind at least considering Lewis.  He's shown that he can surround himself with a good staff (Zimmer and Gruden were former assistants and both are doing pretty well as head coaches) and he can evaluate talent well.  I think he's a good leader, despite his playoff history.  I'm not saying we should hire him, but I think we should at least consider him if he's available.

Disagree. He has enough years in the league as a head coach to show

What a team would be getting. His track record in the post season

speaks for itself, barring his XLI run.

If we can find a coach that can beat Belicheck then 

there is a chance to win titles and Lewis is definitely

not that guy.

All due respect 21.

6 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

not that guy.

All due respect 21.

Yeah... Marvin has been around long enough, frankly I am not sure why he is still he HC there.  

He might be a good talent evaluator, but what has he done with it.  His decision making is questionable at times too.  The Pittsburgh playoff game a few years back comes to mind, among others.

33 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

not that guy.

All due respect 21.

I agree to some degree, but I think he's been largely unlucky too.  Injuries have really hurt his playoff record (Carson Palmer, Andy Dalton) and the game against the Steelers in the 2015/16 playoffs was his team simply imploding/getting some bad calls.  I think he's better than what his record indicates

Lewis deserves more respect, consistently competing in a conference with teams that have won four Super Bowls since 2000 and represent two of the five best teams in the AFC for 17 years is nothing to scoff at. He hasn't won a playoff game sure, but he essentially had a few very good Palmer years and Andy Dalton to work with l. He's not the best coach in the league but I think he's done great work in Cindy. 

5 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

How is pagano a bad playoff coach? He's 3-3.......

Not necessarily in the playoffs, but he's bad against playoff caliber teams. 

We win against bad teams and lose against good ones because he gets out coached.

Happens every single year.

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Not necessarily in the playoffs, but he's bad against playoff caliber teams. 

We win against bad teams and lose against good ones because he gets out coached.

Happens every single year.

Yeah I guess you're right about that but the Colts have beaten plenty of good teams over the years.

Denver. Green Bay. Seattle. Baltimore. Cincinnati. Atlanta. Among others.

They never beat Pittsburgh or New England though, and I feel Pagano's time in Indy will come down to how he handles those two opponents in the future. 

11 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

One bad playoff coach for another bad playoff coach.

It would be different for sure, not necessarily much of an upgrade though imo.

I'm thinking Dave Taub would be CB's pick after this year.

Pagano has been a decent playoff coach if you look at his track record.

54 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yeah I guess you're right about that but the Colts have beaten plenty of good teams over the years.

Denver. Green Bay. Seattle. Baltimore. Cincinnati. Atlanta. Among others.

They never beat Pittsburgh or New England though, and I feel Pagano's time in Indy will come down to how he handles those two opponents in the future. 

Not to mention Kansas City.

i feel it's always impossible and unfair to book coaches down to one thing. "Lewis can't win in the playoffs" or "Pagano can't beat NE or PITT" ignores all kinds of circumstances and doesn't address their strengths or weaknesses as a coach.

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I agree to some degree, but I think he's been largely unlucky too.  Injuries have really hurt his playoff record (Carson Palmer, Andy Dalton) and the game against the Steelers in the 2015/16 playoffs was his team simply imploding/getting some bad calls.  I think he's better than what his record indicates

Very good points but he has been in the league long enough to show

That his track record is mediocre. Mediocre isn't going to get past the

Big dogs in the AFC unfortunately. 

With that being said it's easier said than done finding a coach to consistently

compete with the Pats every year.

19 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

Purely hypothetically...

In either case, what sort of market do you think would be out there for Marvin Lewis?

With all due respect but where did you come with this?  Take my advice, seek help immediately. :sleepy:

On 4/8/2017 at 4:31 AM, shakedownstreet said:

Purely hypothetically...

Does he clap a lot?? :) I kid I kid don't get in a tizzy Chuck fans. Chuck is my coach now and I refuse to root against us so he gets fired. Even if my brain says he doesn't have that SB caliber in him I also didn't think Gary Kubiak did either so let's get behind him. Until he isn't the coach he is a Colt.