Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts have 5th most cap space remaining

TKnight24

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

oh but according to some on here, we only have 16 million.......

16 million was figuring around 6 for signing rookies and 3-4 that a team needs to keep available entering the year. That number was before Jones was cut .. which added around 5 million to the cap. So...  those that were saying that the Colts had around 16 million "TO SPEND" (which is what they were saying) were pretty close ?

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Sooooo why didnt we sign ILB Zach Brown? considering he signed w/Redskins for up to $4.6M? I guess we don't need one or we will be very aggressive in the drat to come away with one, Orrrrrrrrrr, Like another poster stated, We'll just switch OT Denzelle Good over and let him play Inside Linebacker. One or the other!

11 minutes ago, dw49 said:

16 million was figuring around 6 for signing rookies and 3-4 that a team needs to keep available entering the year. That number was before Jones was cut .. which added around 5 million to the cap. So...  those that were saying that the Colts had around 16 million "TO SPEND" (which is what they were saying) were pretty close ?

no, that was after Jones was cut.

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

Sooooo why didnt we sign ILB Zach Brown? considering he signed w/Redskins for up to $4.6M? I guess we don't need one or we will be very aggressive in the drat to come away with one, Orrrrrrrrrr, Like another poster stated, We'll just switch OT Denzelle Good over and let him play Inside Linebacker. One or the other!

maybe Brown didnt want to come here?

Personally,   I'm must more interested in Hankins than I was in Brown.

I do not understand our reluctance to offer Hankins.     And the lack of any rumor or connection linking us to the player is a bit mystifying.

I've even read that Hankins is a better 3-4 NT than he is a 4-3 DT.     Now, maybe Hankins doesn't want to be a 3-4 NT.      Maybe he'd rather play in a 4-3?     And maybe he wants to play in the bright lights of New York?    But the fit would seem obvious.   

I'd love to be the fly on the wall in Ballard's office.    What is the objection?     What is the problem?

I wish I knew..............   :peek:

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

no, that was after Jones was cut.

Here's the first post I see on that figure. It's actually my reply to a Superman post. . Jones was cut March 24th.

On 3/17/2017 at 11:59 AM,  Superman said: 

Updated OP. Still pending details on Al Woods. 

If Holder is accurate , maybe about 16-17 mill left figuring the draft and keeping 3-4 mill on hand ? I'm thinking unless we signed Hankins who is said to be asking way too much money , we'll have a pretty good carry over. Same looks to be true for at least 8-9 other teams. 

•  

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Still have to pay draft picks, and keep some operating space for the season and potential moves over the summer. The assumption is the team will have something in that range when the season is over.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Preach brother! I posted a topic what to do with 30 mil left and all anybody could say was, "its more like 20 mil bro". Of course now they're ganna say, "I was factoring in rookie contracts", and blah blah no you where just wrong. We could easily go after a guy like Hankins and get him for a bargain price but it doesn't seem likely.

12 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Preach brother! I posted a topic what to do with 30 mil left and all anybody could say was, "its more like 20 mil bro". Of course now they're ganna say, "I was factoring in rookie contracts", and blah blah no you where just wrong. We could easily go after a guy like Hankins and get him for a bargain price but it doesn't seem likely.

Why haven't the other 30 teams signed hankins.   There is a real possibility they know something we don't.  Imagine that

11 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I'm not sure Hankins will sign for a "bargain price"....   if he would,  I think he would've signed for New York's reported offer of $4 Mill per.      But if I were Ballard,  I'd have offered him $6 Mill.     I'd pitch it as 50 percent more money to live in a place that costs half as much to live in.     And you have a chance to start/star for a team that's got just as good a shot at winning the division as the Giants do.

If we got him,  he'd be on a 1-year make good contract incentivized to play well.     If we lost him in 2018,  we'd likely get a compensation pick in 19.     I'd take that. 

There's got to be much more to this story than anyone really knows....

I just hope the oline gets solid. If our oline gives luck the amount of time that Brady gets, TY might have 200/game. Not just that, but The Colts get Deep Bombs to get yards, nothing short that ends up being 15+ yard plays.

And if you see replays, All the big yard plays Colts get, Luck takes Huge Hits. Which plays into why he's had at least 2 surgeries the last 2 seasons. 

8 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I just hope the oline gets solid. If our oline gives luck the amount of time that Brady gets, TY might have 200/game. Not just that, but The Colts get Deep Bombs to get yards, nothing short that ends up being 15+ yard plays.

And if you see replays, All the big yard plays Colts get, Luck takes Huge Hits. Which plays into why he's had at least 2 surgeries the last 2 seasons. 

Not all of lucks big hits are on the oline.  The first surgery had zero to do with the oline

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Not all of lucks big hits are on the oline.  The first surgery had zero to do with the oline

2 different Offensive Coordinators in 2 Years, I can live with. 2 Surgeries in 2 years on The Best QB coming out since Elway and he's 27 years young.? Some talk about miles on Rbs. Let's ask Peyton about the toll multiple surgeries play on QBs.

5 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

2 different Offensive Coordinators in 2 Years, I can live with. 2 Surgeries in 2 years on The Best QB coming out since Elway and he's 27 years young.? Some talk about miles on Rbs. Let's ask Peyton about the toll multiple surgeries play on QBs.

He ran out of the pocket on the first injury.   That isn't on the oline.   Multiple surgeries take a toll on every player.  Luck needs to learn to get down,  like Peyton did

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure Hankins will sign for a "bargain price"....   if he would,  I think he would've signed for New York's reported offer of $4 Mill per.      But if I were Ballard,  I'd have offered him $6 Mill.     I'd pitch it as 50 percent more money to live in a place that costs half as much to live in.     And you have a chance to start/star for a team that's got just as good a shot at winning the division as the Giants do.

If we got him,  he'd be on a 1-year make good contract incentivized to play well.     If we lost him in 2018,  we'd likely get a compensation pick in 19.     I'd take that. 

facts

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personally,   I'm must more interested in Hankins than I was in Brown.

I do not understand our reluctance to offer Hankins.     And the lack of any rumor or connection linking us to the player is a bit mystifying.

I've even read that Hankins is a better 3-4 NT than he is a 4-3 DT.     Now, maybe Hankins doesn't want to be a 3-4 NT.      Maybe he'd rather play in a 4-3?     And maybe he wants to play in the bright lights of New York?    But the fit would seem obvious.   

I'd love to be the fly on the wall in Ballard's office.    What is the objection?     What is the problem?

I wish I knew..............   :peek:

No one offered Hankins anything. He's still sitting out there. Something must be up. Every team in the league passed.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

2 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Why haven't the other 30 teams signed hankins.   There is a real possibility they know something we don't.  Imagine that

This might help-

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/03/johnathan_hankins_agent_has_botched_negotiations_b.html

Kevin Poston, Hankins Agent, and his brother Carl developed reputations as unreasonable negotiators prone to making exorbitant contract demands.

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

So brown wanted to play with Kirk Cousins..? Stop it.

No you stop it. There's no way to know either way. It could be a number of reason including him not being interested in coming here. When the colts called(if they called) he may have had his eyes set on a certain team and didn't want to entertain anything from the colts. You'll never know. Bottomline is he's not a Colt 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No you stop it. There's no way to know either way. It could be a number of reason including him not being interested in coming here. When the colts called(if they called) he may have had his eyes set on a certain team and didn't want to entertain anything from the colts. You'll never know. Bottomline is he's not a Colt 

Y not was the aim of the jecture. 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Money money money. The 3 reasons why he hasn't signed. 31 other teams*

59 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No one offered Hankins anything. He's still sitting out there. Something must be up. Every team in the league passed.

How do we know this?

I've read that New York has offered him roughly $4 Mill per.     And what reason would we have to believe that no team has offered him a deal of any kind.      I've not read that anywhere.      Not sure why anyone would believe that absent of a quote from Hankins himself,  or his agent.

That doesn't add up for me....

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hankins for 6 mil is thrift shopping. Maybe that's just my opinion but take away his 1 bad year according to PFF and he probably gets at least 8 maybe 10. 24 years old better 0-1 tech then the 2-3 tech he was forced to play in a 4-3. Again may just be my opinion but NT is one of our biggest needs, David Parry is garbage and Al Woods is not a true NT and might also be garbage.

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Isnt the shoulder his first surgery in the NFL? Correct me if I'm wrong but the lacerated kidney did not require surgery.

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

I personally think we'll let the cap roll over. All this team needs is a running game. That will take pressure off of Luck and the defense. It's going to take 2 more season to retool the defense. 

All we need is a running game?!? That's a cringe worthy analysis of the Colts

What I'd like to know is how the Jags, who have spending in the last 2 seasons like they spending monopoly money, have more cap space than us who have been penny pinchers the last 2 seasons?

And how do players agree to sign there(historically one of the worst franchises in sports) AND players not want to come here?