Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WG Outside-The-Box Mock Draft!

At the start of the off-season, I was thinking (yes, I know, it's a miracle isn't it?) that the Colts top need was easily a pass rusher. I know most of you felt the same about that. I knew ILB, CB, NT, and S were needs as well, along with a RB on offense, but an Edge player was at the top of the board of needs. While it still is a big need, I now feel that it's not at the top. Sheard and Simon look to me like an above average duo that could surprise some this season. What we didn't do is go out and grab a potential star at any of these other positions. That draft will cover my new philosophy on the draft in a way most of you never even thought about. Let's begin!

Trades:

Trade our 1st (15) for Oakland 1st (24) and 2nd (56). Trade values 1050 to 1080.

Trade our 2nd (46) and 3rd (80) for Green Bay 1st (29). Trade values 630 to 640.

Draft:

Round 1, Pick 24: Haason Reddick, ILB, Temple

Simply a must-do for us. We need a solid cover ILB, seeing as how badly we've been without one in recent years. Great player, and must have for the Colts.

Round 1, Pick 29: Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida

What a duo this would be. Davis is also solid in coverage, and can alternate with Reddick between the WILL and MIKE positions.

Round 2, Pick 56: Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma

I just can't stop coming back to Mixon. He just looks to me like the next LeVeon Bell / David Johnson.

Round 4, Pick 122: Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee

A bit undersized but a very solid cover corner. Can be a day 1 starter in the slot if he can put on a bit more weight.

Round 4, Pick 139: Howard Wilson, CB, Houston

I love Wilson. He's a rangy CB with a good history of taking the ball away. Slides in opposite Vontae with Sutton. A bit underweight, but that's easy to fix.

Round 4, Pick 144: George Kittle, TE, Iowa

Apparently, the forum loves this guy. I looked at a bit of tape on him, and I can now agree. He reminds me of Jack Doyle, with the willingness to do whatever needs done.

Round 5, Pick 158: Jarron Jones, NT, Notre Dame

I'm sorry. I love me some Fighting Irish. Jones is a great pick though, and though he has only had one good year, he certainly has the ability to have many more.

Well, there you have it. I wanted to see what everyone thought about going a different direction with the first two picks both being ILBs. I feel that these players can all make a significant impact on our team with the right coaching. But now, I need to put it up to the test. I need to see what you guys think! Thanks for coming, and I hope you leave suggestions in the replies section as well as enjoying the different idea this draft brings to the table!

If you can pull the trades off, I still don't think Reddick last to 24 if the mocks/rankings are on point.  Also, I wished you would've addressed the pass rush with an edge guy.  I don't see Reddick as an edge player except maybe in limited circumstances.  Other than that, I wouldn't really complain.

I agree that I doubt Reddick is there at 24.  Also, 2 1st round picks would be great but Ballard mentioned wanting more picks so I do not see us losing picks but rather gaining a few additional 2, 3, or 4th round picks.  If this happened I would not hate it though as our D would get some solid talent, even at CB on day 3.  The one thing I would change is the TE pick.  I get everyone loves this guy but we can still fill that need with an UDFA and use that pick on o-line depth with this draft scenario.

@WarGhost21 if you've been reading about Ballard's draft strategy, he claims they're going BPA over position needs.  He was pretty adamant about that.  I'm sure he means BPA on our board, so that would eliminate QB in the first, and probably WR.

So, if he's true to his word, we could very well pick ILBs in the first two rounds.  Doesn't make sense to me though.  I don't want two rookies starting there and I'd like to see our first two picks start.

As others have said, we need an Edge rusher.  But as Ballard said, we're not going to stretch for one if there's a better player available.

Man, this is going to be a fun draft.  I think a lot of us are going to be shocked when it turns out nothing like our mocks.

If they're all there then its good. I'm thinking that none of your top 3 picks will be when you have them being picked. I have a hard time believing Reddick makes it to #15 let alone to #24. If Davis isn't gone by #23, he is more than likely gone in the mid-to-late 20's. His pro-day really helped him. Mixon is getting a lot of very early 2nd round buzz and has a shot at going in the first to a RB needy team that can look pas this issues.

I also have a hard time waiting until the 4th round to address CB which is likely our biggest need on the team right now.

Overall not bad, just the slotting and lack of DB help that concerns me.  

Good effort though!

As far as the rush, and if we could pull off those deals, I would probably go for Watt if he was there in the 1st. Would provide the rush, plus I don't think you get Reddick and Davis. It would be a nasty duo, but I would like to get some more push. Also, I agree, about CB. Needs to be addressed sooner, but if going for a splash, Reddick and Watt would be a good tandem in the 1st.