Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard joins Peter King Podcast

TKnight24

Found it very insightful, thanks.

Thought it was interesting that he went to live with Marcus Peters and his family for a day and a half to figure the guy out, before being comfortable drafting him.

I have a good feeling about Ballard, I think he is the type of person that goes to great length and detail when making decisions. He seems very trustworthy.

I thought the interview was very interesting as well. I also thought maybe he's hiding his cards on Mixon. He was asked about what his thoughts on Mixon and replied he's doesn't know and hasn't dug to much into it. Not word for word on the quote but my reaction is that it's almost a few weeks on the draft and you don't know. Either he's hiding that he's not worth drafting or maybe there's more that he doesn't want to disclose. Either way would of been nice to know what he thought.

15 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I thought the interview was very interesting as well. I also thought maybe he's hiding his cards on Mixon. He was asked about what his thoughts on Mixon and replied he's doesn't know and hasn't dug to much into it. Not word for word on the quote but my reaction is that it's almost a few weeks on the draft and you don't know. Either he's hiding that he's not worth drafting or maybe there's more that he doesn't want to disclose. Either way would of been nice to know what he thought.

That's what good poker players do

We need  to loosen the grip N.E has in our conference.  I hope Chris can be the architect who does that.  I really believe that defense and pressuring the QB will be the key to success and that means up the middle as well.  

4 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I'm liking Ballard, draft day can't get here soon enough

Also seeing a lot of reports where he wants to trade back & stock picks, this is gonna be a great off-season

I agree.  I can't wait to see what this guy does on draft day.  I didn't care this much with what grigs was going to do in 2012.  But for some reason I'm excited for this guy

45 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

Talks a good game, but Free Agency was underwhelming.  Will wait to see how he drafts.

I wouldnt say that.  He made some big, needed moves in getting rid of some over paid dead weight players.  I do think come waiver time, he's gonna be active.  FA isn't over.  And honestly, the chances of a big name FA player balling out for a new club isn't very high.  I do like the ones he signed, though I still think we need a big NT.

1 hour ago, gacker65 said:

Talks a good game, but Free Agency was underwhelming.  Will wait to see how he drafts.

Free Agency isn't how you build a team.......especially one with holes all over the roster. 

Besides, every contract that he gave the FA's that he brought in were structured very well. 

19 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Free Agency isn't how you build a team.......especially one with holes all over the roster. 

Besides, every contract that he gave the FA's that he brought in were structured very well. 

I thought he addressed the second tier level of the team very well and added a couple guys who could fit in quite well if not become high level guys. He didn't break the bank for Poe (though it sounds like he tried), he didn't get into high dollar bidding wars for corners with a breakout season and he didn't keep high paid players who haven't lived up to the contract they had been given. If he hits 3-4 high quality players in this draft, he will have one solid team of players in the making. Along with a very solid Grigson 2016 draft, a high quality producing 2017 draft and the QB already set, this is a team to watch out for as it grows. If not this season, it could compete for the AFC title game providing this draft hits and health stays with us. I'm not saying we don't have needs that will have holes in the team but I feel better now than I did with this same team at the end of the 2016 season. 

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

I wouldnt say that.  He made some big, needed moves in getting rid of some over paid dead weight players.  I do think come waiver time, he's gonna be active.  FA isn't over.  And honestly, the chances of a big name FA player balling out for a new club isn't very high.  I do like the ones he signed, though I still think we need a big NT.

You don't need a big name FA, just one that has shown he can do the job.  none of these FAs we got fit that criteria.

1 minute ago, gacker65 said:

You don't need a big name FA, just one that has shown he can do the job.  none of these FAs we got fit that criteria.

for one, they havent even played a game yet.

For two: they played behind big stud players like JJ watt.

for three: Some, especially Simon, have shown they can do the job and are hungry to do it.

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Free Agency is for getting depth and an impact player when needed.  Does not need a big name player, just a player who has shown he can play.

Now Ballard has to hit big in the draft.

3 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

Free Agency is for getting depth and an impact player when needed.  Does not need a big name player, just a player who has shown he can play.

with the holes on our roster, he's gonna have to hit a homerun regardless.  And you're contradicting yourself.  

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

for one, they havent even played a game yet.

For two: they played behind big stud players like JJ watt.

for three: Some, especially Simon, have shown they can do the job and are hungry to do it.

Sheard played 16 games started 8 and got only 5 sacks.

Simon played in 16 games and got 3.5 sacks.

I will wait to see if Simon can play Sam OLB, but Sheard is not a pass rusher.

What seems to be overlooked is,  Ballard now has to hit on 3 day 1 starters for the Defense and 1 has to be an impact player to make this Defense competitive.  Otherwise we are looking at what we have been watching for years, a good Offense and a so so Defense.

Just now, gacker65 said:

Simon played in 16 games and got 3.5 sacks.

I will wait to see if Simon can play Sam OLB, but Sheard is not a pass rusher.

What seems to be overlooked is,  Ballard now has to hit on 3 day 1 starters for the Defense and 1 has to be an impact player to make this Defense competitive.  Otherwise we are looking at what we have been watching for years, a good Offense and a so so Defense.

I don't think anyone thought he'd have every problem solved in one offseason, that's not a likely scenario for any team with such a poor draft record as we've had for years.....  Even if you could plug the roster well enough to guarantee a big season, we'd be in the same spot in  few years as the FA's aged or needed resigned.....  no one wants that do  they?

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

with the holes on our roster, he's gonna have to hit a homerun regardless.  And you're contradicting yourself.  

No I'm not.  Now he has to hit on 3 day 1 starters with 1 being an impact player.  If he doesn't, this will be what we have been watching for years, a good Offense and a so so Defense. 

1 minute ago, gacker65 said:

No I'm not.  Now he has to hit on 3 day 1 starters with 1 being an impact player.  If he doesn't, this will be what we have been watching for years, a good Offense and a so so Defense. 

I have a feeling our D is gonna be much better this year.  We have better players already.  and with this draft being deep on Defense in terms of quality, we'll be fine.

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

I don't think anyone thought he'd have every problem solved in one offseason, that's not a likely scenario for any team with such a poor draft record as we've had for years.....  Even if you could plug the roster well enough to guarantee a big season, we'd be in the same spot in  few years as the FA's aged or needed resigned.....  no one wants that do  they?

I did not expect Ballard to solve it all in one off season.  I thought Ballard would try to bring in an impact player for the Defense in FA.  Then use the draft to add players.

6 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

I did not expect Ballard to solve it all in one off season.  I thought Ballard would try to bring in an impact player for the Defense in FA.  Then use the draft to add players.

its a crap shoot either way..... very very seldom does an "impact" player aka big name go to another team and perform even close to his oldself.  and then you are stuck with having over paid for their past performance that you arent getting

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I have a feeling our D is gonna be much better this year.  We have better players already.  and with this draft being deep on Defense in terms of quality, we'll be fine.

We have younger players, but not all are better.  

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

its a crap shoot either way..... very very seldom does an "impact" player aka big name go to another team and perform even close to his oldself.  and then you are stuck with having over paid for their past performance that you arent getting

An impact player does not have to be a big name player.  DQ, Freeman, and Adams to name a few, were not big names, but made an impact on the Defense.

I find it funny how some are complaining about contracts, but no one blinks an eye when we gave Sheard 8 plus mil a year for 3 years to do something he couldn't do in a good Defense.  Just saying

20 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

Actually, to me his comment about not having looked into Mixon tells me that what Irsay said about looking to RB later in the draft may be true.  If they have no intention of taking an RB in the first 3 rounds, then there is no need putting in any work on Mixon, accepting that he'll be gone sometime during the first 2 to 3 rounds.  I think Ballards comment about Mixon cements as truth the notion that the Colts will not be looking at running back in the early rounds.

49 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Actually, to me his comment about not having looked into Mixon tells me that what Irsay said about looking to RB later in the draft may be true.  If they have no intention of taking an RB in the first 3 rounds, then there is no need putting in any work on Mixon, accepting that he'll be gone sometime during the first 2 to 3 rounds.  I think Ballards comment about Mixon cements as truth the notion that the Colts will not be looking at running back in the early rounds.

Or it all could be a smoke screen. We just don't know.

IMO there is nothing cemented.

1 hour ago, gacker65 said:

An impact player does not have to be a big name player.  DQ, Freeman, and Adams to name a few, were not big names, but made an impact on the Defense.

I find it funny how some are complaining about contracts, but no one blinks an eye when we gave Sheard 8 plus mil a year for 3 years to do something he couldn't do in a good Defense.  Just saying

First, a lot of people screamed at those names being brought it. Especially DQs. And you have the benefit of hindsight. 

Second point. I thinking Simone had major potential to impact the game. He had more impacts in his highlight video than our entire defense the last two years.

third: I get what you're saying at to Sheards contract, I think it's high too. However, if you look at how it's structured, we can cut him next year with ZERO dead money or penalty. So if he doesn't pan out, he'll be gone. His is basically a prove it 8 million dollar 1 year contract with team options for years 2&3 at or around the same price. I think that's why no one is screaming about his contract

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

It tells me that the Mixon isn't on the Colts board 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

First, a lot of people screamed at those names being brought it. Especially DQs. And you have the benefit of hindsight. 

Second point. I thinking Simone had major potential to impact the game. He had more impacts in his highlight video than our entire defense the last two years.

third: I get what you're saying at to Sheards contract, I think it's high too. However, if you look at how it's structured, we can cut him next year with ZERO dead money or penalty. So if he doesn't pan out, he'll be gone. His is basically a prove it 8 million dollar 1 year contract with team options for years 2&3 at or around the same price. I think that's why no one is screaming about his contract

You are right about the screams being loud and long.  I wasn't one as DQ brought leadership to a Defense that needed it.  with Freeman and Adams, I took the wait and see approach.  Was happy with what I saw.

As far as Simon, IMO, he is a Sam OLB.  If we can get 5-7 sacks a year from him and he sets a hard edge, then I will call it a good pick-up.

Thank you for the info on Sheard's contract.  All I saw was 25.5 mil for 3 years.  Glad to hear if we get a good pass rusher in the draft, Sheard can be let go or possible restructure his contract to bring it in-line for a back-up.

Checking Spotrac,  it looks like Sheard's contract is one year for 9.5 to 10 Mill.

With two option years at 7.5 Mill each for a total of 25.5.

Here is the Spotrac page for Sheard....    it's free and open to everyone.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/jabaal-sheard-7752/

As for how good Sheard is.....     I don't know why anyone would make an argument based on just one year out of a 6 year contract.     He played 4 years with Cleveland,  and the last two with NE.

Here are his yearly sacks...    8.5, 7, 5.5,  2,  8 and 5.         36 sacks in 6 years, an average of 6 per year,  but let's factor in his first four years were with Cleveland and the circus they have going on there...

As for the signing....    we clearly didn't want to spend huge money on ANY free agent.    But we still had to sign two decent OLB's for some pass rush.      Sheard and Simon were the two best mid-priced players and we got them both for minimal impact.     Simon's contract is also easy to get out of after 1-year if we want.

All things considered,  this was the market for Sheard and Simon.     I think the Colts did really well.

16 hours ago, gacker65 said:

Ballard didn't want to overpay for said impact player, and/or he didn't think the impact player was worth what they were asking. 

Ballard is also doing exactly what he said he was going to do.....he's going to build through the draft. And to your own words, he got players that've shown they can play (on team friendly contracts.) 

Not sure what's so hard to understand here. 

23 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Ballard didn't want to overpay for said impact player, and/or he didn't think the impact player was worth what they were asking. 

Ballard is also doing exactly what he said he was going to do.....he's going to build through the draft. And to your own words, he got players that've shown they can play (on team friendly contracts.) 

Not sure what's so hard to understand here. 

Not hard to understand.  Now this is not what he is not saying.  I've backed myself into a corner for the draft and I need to hit on 3 day 1 starters with 1 of them being an impact player, all for the Defense.  If not, he conceded that the Defense will not progress very much this next season.

Do not understand why an Impact player, in FA, has to be a big name player.  Grigson brought in DQ and Mike Adams.  Both weren't considered big name because of age, but both had an impact on our Defense.  Getting younger doesn't equate to getting better.  You need a good blend of young and older players.

18 hours ago, gacker65 said:

You do know that NE mainly ran a 4 man front last year forcing Sheard to play 4-3 DE instead of 3-4 OLB he previously had, and was quite successful in 2015 as a 3-4 OLB?