Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jamal Adams Runs 4.33 to 4.38 at Pro Day

nfl-35.png  NFL | Jamal Adams aces 40-yard dash    Wed Apr 5, 11:41 AM

Louisiana State S Jamal Adams ran the 40-yard dash in 4.33 seconds, unofficially, at his pro day Wednesday, April 5.

Link to story

I have to agree about the home cooking part.  Time is much faster than Combine.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's not like you can fake a 40 time, not with a hundred people there and probably 30 different stopwatches. I agree with adjusting due to hand times and/or conditions, but I don't just dismiss pro day times. 

They don't fake the time, they fake the distance.  Not saying it was done there, but it definitely has been done in the past. 

I don't care what he ran, the kid is going to be Ed Reed like.  I just hope the Jags don't get him.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

They don't fake the time, they fake the distance.  Not saying it was done there, but it definitely has been done in the past. 

I don't care what he ran, the kid is going to be Ed Reed like.  I just hope the Jags don't get him.

I definitely like him, and I think he's plenty fast enough. Ed Reed is a lofty comparison.

I didn't think about the distance, but I can't imagine that they don't verify the distance. There are too many people there, too many ways to get caught. JMO.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I definitely like him, and I think he's plenty fast enough. Ed Reed is a lofty comparison.

I didn't think about the distance, but I can't imagine that they don't verify the distance. There are too many people there, too many ways to get caught. JMO.

It's been done, I've heard scouts talk about it.  They'd measure the yards out at 35 inches, which isn't noticeable.  I'm sure it's a lot more scrutinized now, with so much at stake.

As far as the Reed comparison, you're right, you really can't compare them until they actually play an NFL game.  When he and White were on the NFL Network they asked White how Adams fared against Fournette.  He said they weren't supposed to be hitting LF, but they got into it.  Apparently it was a pretty even match, and Adams was giving up about 30lbs.

3rd player off the board?

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It's been done, I've heard scouts talk about it.  They'd measure the yards out at 35 inches, which isn't noticeable.  I'm sure it's a lot more scrutinized now, with so much at stake.

As far as the Reed comparison, you're right, you really can't compare them until they actually play an NFL game.  When he and White were on the NFL Network they asked White how Adams fared against Fournette.  He said they weren't supposed to be hitting LF, but they got into it.  Apparently it was a pretty even match, and Adams was giving up about 30lbs.

3rd player off the board?

Adams is my top safety. I don't know where he'll go, since he's a safety, but it has to be top 10. 

I just did some rudimentary math. If you shave an inch per yard, you're cutting 40 inches, 1.1 yards. It's not noticeable unless you measure it, but all it takes is one person. You can measure distance on a smartphone now.

More rudimentary math: If you adjust Adams' pro day time of 4.38 by 1.1 yards, you come out with a 4.50. Add five hundredths for hand timing, and you're at 4.55. His Combine time was 4.56. That adds up, tbh.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Adams is my top safety. I don't know where he'll go, since he's a safety, but it has to be top 10. 

I just did some rudimentary math. If you shave an inch per yard, you're cutting 40 inches, 1.1 yards. It's not noticeable unless you measure it, but all it takes is one person. You can measure distance on a smartphone now.

More rudimentary math: If you adjust Adams' pro day time of 4.38 by 1.1 yards, you come out with a 4.50. Add five hundredths for hand timing, and you're at 4.55. His Combine time was 4.56. That adds up, tbh.

Hey, when I joined this board I was told there'd be no math.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

It's not like you can fake a 40 time, not with a hundred people there and probably 30 different stopwatches. I agree with adjusting due to hand times and/or conditions, but I don't just dismiss pro day times. 

Well you have a guy in his twenties with a stop watch, and a guy 70, they'll have different times.  Also, not every surface is the same.  Kirwan once said people 40 times would be told to him, them the place it was recorded at.  He said folks woiuld say  - add .15.  Because every time reported from the schools pro days were .15 faster than anywhere else.  :-) Some urfaces are just plain faster than others. Another item is true distance.  One time (most likely at a much later date) a player mentioned his time was actually a 38.  The distance for 40 yard testing was really only 38 yards, and they got away with it.

8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I don't like the comparison. If you're going to compare him to a recent HOFer, it's Troy P.

13 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Well you have a guy in his twenties with a stop watch, and a guy 70, they'll have different times.  Also, not every surface is the same.  Kirwan once said people 40 times would be told to him, them the place it was recorded at.  He said folks woiuld say  - add .15.  Because every time reported from the schools pro days were .15 faster than anywhere else.  :-) Some urfaces are just plain faster than others. Another item is true distance.  One time (most likely at a much later date) a player mentioned his time was actually a 38.  The distance for 40 yard testing was really only 38 yards, and they got away with it.

If pro-days are really cheating this much it makes me wonder what the point of even having pro-days even is.  

I could go with a surface explanation but I think the cheating would be a little hard to do.  

And maybe the comfortable surroundings really do help people perform at a level above what they do when they traveled.  

Even if the pro day says he ran a 4.2 uphill, the tape doesn't lie.  He plays fast, but not quite Ed Reed fast.  He may not have elite speed, but he is fast enough to play high safety in coverage.

He reminds me of Honey Badger in the box.  He is a football player.  Named captain as a freshmen at LSU.  

Great leader.  He could be like Earl Thomas.  Top 5 player in this draft.  I'd love for the Colts to land him somehow, but pass rusher or CB are probably where the Colts go if they stay put at pick 15.

11 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

If pro-days are really cheating this much it makes me wonder what the point of even having pro-days even is.  

I could go with a surface explanation but I think the cheating would be a little hard to do.  

And maybe the comfortable surroundings really do help people perform at a level above what they do when they traveled.  

It's another chance to talk with a guy and his coaches, and watch the player.  Pro days can sink a ship, usually not right one.  Scouts/coaches disregard some things... like the 40 times, etc.  And the QB throwing. You know what coaches do like? Private workout, not a scripted pro day. Bring a guy in and work him out with what you want to see.  That has value.