Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phil Simms vs Romo

Colts1324

Do you think the switch of Romo as the lead analyst instead of Simms will improve the NFL ratings? I think Romo is going to bring a little more energy to the table for us fans because he is new. But I don't see Romo becoming as good of an analyst for 3 or 4 years. 

I think it is good for the NFL to mix it up though. But I'm not sure if he is ready to be thrown in the biggest spotlight(usually the most watched television sports game and show every weekend) right off the bat. 

Romo has zero experience at his future job yet, he was given the #1 job Simms held. So my question is how did CBS arrive at their decision? Fox has Troy Aikman and he is one of the best. Simms got the shaft big time from CBS for an almost-ran that humiliated himself and his team on several clutch championship occasions. If he performs equally behind a microphone he will be gone before the fourth quarter ends. Maybe Jerry will then give him the job of manicuring his nails during the game.

I've been getting tired of Simms for a couple years now. He doesn't necessarily bother me, but he's kind of become a caricature, IMO. I get why CBS is replacing him.

In general, color guys don't bother me unless they're bad, and there have been some of those. Dan Dierdorff was awful. Simms isn't bad, IMO, but he's not great, either.

I don't know how good Romo will be, but I bet he'll grow into it before long. CBS has probably been trying to get Peyton Manning to take that spot since last year. 

12 hours ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Im happy with this move for two reasons.

1. I never enjoyed Phil Simms commentating ( remember when the colts beat the bengals in the playoffs a few years ago and all Simms said during the whole game was we were only winning because A.J Green was injured)

2 Texans miss out on Romo

I'm really happy about the Texans missing out on Romo. I don't dislike Simms actually, but I do for an announcer he is quite monotone. But he does his job fairly well, and broadcasting the game of the week is quite the jump for somebody(Tony Romo) who has never done it before. 

I don't care for Simms at all but I hardly listen to the announcers anyway. Except for the Colts games I turn the sound down and just watch the games while listening to music.

During Colts games I listen to Bob Lamey.  I guess if he retires I will go back to watching whomever is announcing them.

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

I would agree with that lol. He repeats the same thing over and over again.

That and he could trade places with Mike from American Pickers and no one would know the difference.

and...

I am glad Phil is moving on, or so it would seem, that is... :applause:

4 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

That and he could trade places with Mike from American Pickers and no one would know the difference.

and...

I think Phil SImms could still broadcast for NBC or move over to Fox, but I doubt his pride will let him downgrade to a 3rd or 4th team. 

4 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

and...

I think Phil SImms could still broadcast for NBC or move over to Fox, but I doubt his pride will let him downgrade to a 3rd or 4th team. 

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I've been getting tired of Simms for a couple years now. He doesn't necessarily bother me, but he's kind of become a caricature, IMO. I get why CBS is replacing him.

In general, color guys don't bother me unless they're bad, and there have been some of those. Dan Dierdorff was awful. Simms isn't bad, IMO, but he's not great, either.

I don't know how good Romo will be, but I bet he'll grow into it before long. CBS has probably been trying to get Peyton Manning to take that spot since last year. 

Yeah...they obviously needed to change things up. At least Simms was better than Boomer..Esiason is awful so we could always get stuck with worse. I will say Aikman is one of the best so if he can follow in another cowboys shoes he will be awesome.

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...they obviously needed to change things up. At least Simms was better than Boomer..Esiason is awful so we could always get stuck with worse. I will say Aikman is one of the best so if he can follow in another cowboys shoes he will be awesome.

Boomer is only on radio now, right?

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

Boomer is only on radio now, right?

Yeah I'm not sure what station etc but he has his own show...like the Dan Dakich of the NFL...it's truly awful. I just remember him doing games and his radio show too....I never want to hear him again. I thought he was on CBS as well...not in the booth but in the studio. Come to think of it he is probably on cbs radio now....soon to be sent off to the CFL hopefully.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I'm not sure what station etc but he has his own show...like the Dan Dakich of the NFL...it's truly awful. I just remember him doing games and his radio show too....I never want to hear him again. I thought he was on CBS as well...not in the booth but in the studio. Come to think of it he is probably on cbs radio now....soon to be sent off to the CFL hopefully.

Boomer and Marino couldn't stand each other, for years they've acted like they would tear each other's heads off once the cameras turn off.

Just now, Synthetic said:

Um better go troll someone else with your half baked one liners...

Bonnie Bernstein has in fact blasted the hire of Romo.   The fact that my post contain more fact in one line as opposed to your nonsense long winded posts is on you,  Not me.   Carry on being wrong always

4 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Boomer and Marino couldn't stand each other, for years they've acted like they would tear each other's heads off once the cameras turn off.

Boomer is a *.  He is right less often than you are

On 4/5/2017 at 10:15 AM, King Colt said:

Romo has zero experience at his future job yet, he was given the #1 job Simms held. So my question is how did CBS arrive at their decision? Fox has Troy Aikman and he is one of the best. Simms got the shaft big time from CBS for an almost-ran that humiliated himself and his team on several clutch championship occasions. If he performs equally behind a microphone he will be gone before the fourth quarter ends. Maybe Jerry will then give him the job of manicuring his nails during the game.

Being a color commentator isn't a hard job to figure out.  What you need to have is a likable personality and understand the game of football.

It think Romo qualifies in both senses.  

I don't really even pay all that much attention to the commentators, I've never really had opinions on which ones I liked and which ones I didn't.  But I've heard enough people say they didn't like Simms to where bringing Romo in as a replacement seems like a good idea. 

Also it seems like a good idea to turn over your "ex football guys" on a semi-regular basis.  The reason I think is that it's preferable to have guys in the booth that the young adults watching can actually remember watching them play or coach when they where younger. 

This applies less to true greats like Marino that everyone regardless of age immediately recognizes.  But Phil Simms is more of just an above average player that won 1 SB from what I can tell.  So turnover is necessary here.  In 10 years to 15 years or so if he lasts that long they will have to turnover Romo the same way and bring up in the broadcast booth someone else who just recently retired from the NFL.  Maybe even Andrew Luck. . . You never know. 

On 4/5/2017 at 7:20 PM, dgambill said:

Boomer Esiason seems to be everywhere. He has a daily morning show in NY called "Boomer and Carton". It replaced "Imus in the Morning" which was heard around the country. Boomer does a lot of night games on the radio (Monday Night Football and I believe Sunday Night Football sometimes).  He has that pre-game football show on CBS (TV). He also does a pre-game football show for Westwood One on the radio. Whenever he comes on, I turn the show off. I find him annoying. I liked Simms and Lynch (now 49ers GM) better.

I didn't mind Simms, but am OK with giving Romo  a chance. 

This is a bit off topic, but why is Chris Collinsworth so disliked? I don't think he's that bad, so am wondering what the criticism is all about. Maybe I'm missing something others see. 

On 4/7/2017 at 5:12 AM, NFLfan said:

Boomer Esiason seems to be everywhere. He has a daily morning show in NY called "Boomer and Carton". It replaced "Imus in the Morning" which was heard around the country. Boomer does a lot of night games on the radio (Monday Night Football and I believe Sunday Night Football sometimes).  He has that pre-game football show on CBS (TV). He also does a pre-game football show for Westwood One on the radio. Whenever he comes on, I turn the show off. I find him annoying. I liked Simms and Lynch (now 49ers GM) better.

Like I said the dan dackich of the NFL. Dan is on all over the place and does all kinds of shows. I even saw him doing a college basketball 3pt contest. He will sell his services for an Oreo I believe. Way over exposed and very annoying. Sounds like Boomer and him are brothers from another mother.

On 4/7/2017 at 8:13 AM, teganslaw said:

I didn't mind Simms, but am OK with giving Romo  a chance. 

This is a bit off topic, but why is Chris Collinsworth so disliked? I don't think he's that bad, so am wondering what the criticism is all about. Maybe I'm missing something others see. 

Most people on here think he is biased against the Colts for some reason. There is enough fodder to certainly believe it. Just seems to go out of his way to be critical.

On 4/6/2017 at 10:33 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Being a color commentator isn't a hard job to figure out.  What you need to have is a likable personality and understand the game of football.

It think Romo qualifies in both senses.  

I don't really even pay all that much attention to the commentators, I've never really had opinions on which ones I liked and which ones I didn't.  But I've heard enough people say they didn't like Simms to where bringing Romo in as a replacement seems like a good idea. 

Also it seems like a good idea to turn over your "ex football guys" on a semi-regular basis.  The reason I think is that it's preferable to have guys in the booth that the young adults watching can actually remember watching them play or coach when they where younger. 

This applies less to true greats like Marino that everyone regardless of age immediately recognizes.  But Phil Simms is more of just an above average player that won 1 SB from what I can tell.  So turnover is necessary here.  In 10 years to 15 years or so if he lasts that long they will have to turnover Romo the same way and bring up in the broadcast booth someone else who just recently retired from the NFL.  Maybe even Andrew Luck. . . You never know. 

I think there is a lot to it. Ratings down and some of these guys like Fouts and Sims etc just aren't relatable. Greats in their time but many don't even remeber them or have never seen them play. Romo like Aikman before him already has a national following and was a great in his own right. I hear people complain that ohh this guy has no experience and is putting Sims out of a job but I'm pretty sure the same could be said of all these guys. None of these guys likely have a communications degree or anything. So I think the complainants are baseless. This is just a fact of life for athletes. They get replaced on the field and then in the booth. Unless you can somehow build an iconic brand your going to get replaced. Plus it's a big difference from the studio to live in game. People want to be entertained....hear new stories and new opinions etc. CBS is trying to keep it fresh and rightfully so. NFL is losing viewers and especially tv is. This was a must move by CBS to keep advertisers and eyes on them.

We'll know if the NFL is losing viewers this season.

They were down in 2016..but there's no election this year

Tony Romo seems very low key to me.....  I don't know if he's likeable or not

The one edge he has is obviously, he's played against present day NFL defense and not the 90s defenses Simms played against..

..But can he be critical of players (not necessarily negative just critical) he played with and against? . I dont know

6 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

We'll know if the NFL is losing viewers this season.

They were down in 2016..but there's no election this year

Tony Romo seems very low key to me.....  I don't know if he's likeable or not

The one edge he has is obviously, he's played against present day NFL defense and not the 90s defenses Simms played against..

..But can he be critical of players (not necessarily negative just critical) he played with and against? . I dont know

I think the NFL losing viewers can be caused by a number of things. Over saturation IMO is one of the problems. Add the fact that the Thursday games are mostly boring and the teams involved are not as prepared as they would be with a full week of healing and game planning.

I think the NFL as so possessed with making money that putting quality games on the field is secondary.

Simms and Nantz we're fine.. Don't they always have the best matchup for AFC? So we're so into the game it hardly matters what Phil/Romo say. Tony will be fine. He'll probably be a little salty he's not out there for about 3 games. Hopefully they don't make him go to Dallas for one of the 2 AFC games.. they'd be terrible hah 

Phil Simms was about as entertaining as watching paint dry. I'll never forget his horrible attempts at humor in the madden franchise as a commentator. I'm more surprised it took this long to replace him