Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BProland's "Chris Ballard" Mock Draft

This is a mock I made with what I interpret as the Ballard approach to this year's draft for Indy, mixed in with players I'd like to see on the team...

Round 1 Pick 32 (N.O.): Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri
Round 2 Pick 10 (N.O.): Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
Round 2 Pick 14: Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida
Round 3 Pick 12 (N.O.): Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown State
Round 3 Pick 16: Chris Wormley, DT, Michigan
Round 4 Pick 30: Howard Wilson, CB, Houston
Round 4 Pick 37 (COMP): John Johnson, FS, Boston College
Round 5 Pick 1 (CLE): Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise State
Round 5 Pick 14: Jonnu Smith, TE, Florida International

Trades are pretty realistic -

Indy trades 15th overall and original 4th round pick to New Orleans for their 32nd, 2nd, 3rd round picks. (Look at the trade value chart, it's very close to equal for both sides)

Indy trades 2018 4th for 2017 5th

Analysis - Indy now has very talented pass rushers going forward and can rotate all of them in to keep everyone fresh. Harris and Rivers are two of my favorite pure pass rushers in this draft. Indy also gets speed at ILB which Ballard wants in Jarrad Davis. Awuzie gives Indy a corner that can play both slot and outside. Wormley is another versatile player on the DL. Wilson is a long athletic corner, which Ballard seems to like going back to Kansas City. John Johnson is an underrated FS that has been talked to by the Colts. McNichols had a good combine and could be the best RB drafted from Boise State. He'll be a great pass catching option immediately out of the backfield. Smith is one of my favorite under the radar TEs.

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Dont you ever get tired of hearing that your mocks are "unrealistic?"

I didn't say it unrealistic.  I actually said I don't think it's a bad idea.  Personally I would be estactic if the Colts did something like that, I just don't think NO would do it.  I probably would have typed more but I was responding from my tablet.

But, way to add some good discussion points to the thread.

Pick #15 is valued at 1050 points. Picks #32, #42 and #76 are valued at 1280 points. You owe them 230 points -- a high third rounder -- and would probably have to give up #80 and #137 to make that trade work. 

I wouldn't want to move all the way down to #32 in one trade, period. I definitely wouldn't do it if I had to throw in another third and fourth rounder. 

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=ind

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Pick #15 is valued at 1050 points. Picks #32, #42 and #76 are valued at 1280 points. You owe them 230 points -- a high third rounder -- and would probably have to give up #80 and #137 to make that trade work. 

I wouldn't want to move all the way down to #32 in one trade, period. I definitely wouldn't do it if I had to throw in another third and fourth rounder. 

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=ind

Agreed. I don't see the Colts moving down any further than 25. Extra picks or not. Pick 32 is essentially the first pick in the 2nd round anyways, meaning we'd essentially be trading out of the first round.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I didn't say it unrealistic.  I actually said I don't think it's a bad idea.  Personally I would be estactic if the Colts did something like that, I just don't think NO would do it.  I probably would have typed more but I was responding from my tablet.

But, way to add some good discussion points to the thread.

First - I wasn't responding to you directly.  No problem with your philosophy.  My original response was to the OP.

Second - Calling the OPs post unrealistic.  Wasn't calling your post unrealistic...didn't even read yours until you responded to me drawing attention to it.

3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

First - I wasn't responding to you directly.  No problem with your philosophy.  My original response was to the OP.

Second - Calling the OPs post unrealistic.  Wasn't calling your post unrealistic...didn't even read yours until you responded to me drawing attention to it.

My bad I read the point value wrong, so take out the Chris Wormley pick, and give Indy DT Carlos Watkins with their original 4th instead.

So basically the trade would be Indy gives up 15th overall and their 3rd for New Orleans' 32nd, 2nd, and 3rd.

As for where the players are drafted, I researched the current draft stock of these players and it lines up with around where I have them going in my mock.

14 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

My bad.  I assumed since you posted after me you were referring to my post.  I didn't think about you talking to the OP.  I guess that's what I get when I assume.